Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

no nobody likes traps

Rogue likes traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Tiny Timbs posted:

no nobody likes traps

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Tiny Timbs posted:

no nobody likes traps

d2 assassins like them

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Tiny Timbs posted:

no nobody likes traps

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Cool page. Not weird at all.

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos
It's really cool seeing people call trans women traps, which is definitely not a term based around the idea that they're "tricking" men into having sex with them and also a slur. I really love when that happens and it isn't off putting at all when I just want to see what's going on with the new season, as a trans woman.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

poop chute posted:

It's really cool seeing people call trans women traps, which is definitely not a term based around the idea that they're "tricking" men into having sex with them and also a slur. I really love when that happens and it isn't off putting at all when I just want to see what's going on with the new season, as a trans woman.

yeah let's stop being insanely weird about this

:thanks:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Traps are cool when they're another part of the game and test a different skill in gameplay, shake things up a bit, kinda menacing but not obtrusive. When I think of good ARPG traps I realize they don't hold you up too much if at all.

PoE labyrinth does them really well. You can learn them so well you can mobility skill past most of them but they always demand your respect and awareness and are often set up in clever ways even by procgen to force interaction.

I also like the way Grim Dawn does dangerous terrain. Clearly labeled, incredible hazard to certain stretches of exploration, reasonable yet dangerous. OK, some of them aren't so great(translucent goo in labs in act 1 is way too subtle) but the respect I have for the aether ground is enormous. Fighting in a live minefield is cool too.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
for context to who haven't watched scooby doo, fred just really likes traps, the mechanic, not the fetish poo poo

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
the short segment in the preview video sure makes it seem like you'll be at a big advantage with m/kb vs controller for that "avoid the traps" dungeon. the stop/turn on a dime gameplay there and the ability to move with and dodge circularly arcing boss attacks doesn't seem like something i'll be able to do easily on console

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Tonetta posted:

for context to who haven't watched scooby doo, fred just really likes traps, the mechanic, not the fetish poo poo

Okay

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Tonetta posted:

Yes, and the image you posted has a character who's trans on the cover of the magazine. That's the joke in that image.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
They should make D4 free to play

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Vic posted:

They should make D4 free to play

that'd be cool they could even add a premium shop where you can buy cool cosmetics and charge a bunch for them

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The traps will hopefully just do damage you can ignore like all other sources of damage, but if they cc you for even a second I'll be right there with everyone else hitting Blizz with the big 'have you learned nothing' stick.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

i do want a class or an adjustment to rogue or something where traps are a real usable build because d2 trapsassin was a really fun build to play

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dev update starts at 12 eastern

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yit1Dz7pBwo

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Gonna pet that spider bot.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Circle Nine posted:

i do want a class or an adjustment to rogue or something where traps are a real usable build because d2 trapsassin was a really fun build to play

You can build around death trap and have good success. Usually though it's death trap as a nuke with TB or something. Flickerstep+tibaults+vampdodge does really well.

They're not d2 traps (D3 sentry) where you set em up, go hide, then come back to loot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are they adding new class skills this league ?

(Not the league specific stuff )

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

You can build around death trap and have good success. Usually though it's death trap as a nuke with TB or something. Flickerstep+tibaults+vampdodge does really well.

They're not d2 traps (D3 sentry) where you set em up, go hide, then come back to loot.

Yeah the fact that “trap rogue” is really just TB rogue with some traps sometimes (admittedly pretty quick if you use the right setup but still) feels lovely.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

euphronius posted:

Not that they mentioned in the article announcing the season or this livestream so far.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

euphronius posted:

7 new aspects and 6 new uniques, but they've said nothing about new skills. The aspects hopefully enable skills that nobody used which is maybe the second best thing to new skills

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
All this stuff seems fine but I really want to see build-defining uniques or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

have they ever said anything about new skills? didn't seem like that was ever part of the plan with how the skill tree works

best they could do is add items and aspects that do more to change what the skills do. don't really trust them to do a good job with that though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Game will get pretty stale if they aren’t adding new skills and supporting uniques

I just assumed it would be something they would do to support their season schedule

(In addition to league gimmicks)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

euphronius posted:

Game will get pretty stale if they aren’t adding new skills and supporting uniques

I just assumed it would be something they would do to support their season schedule

(In addition to league gimmicks)

yeah at the very least I think they should be introducing uniques that modify the skills to freshen them up every season

Stuff that opens up new builds entirely, as somebody else said.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Diablo 3 introduced new skills in two ways:

1. Adding a new class
2. Increasing the level cap

Both of these were paid expansions

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tarnop posted:

1. Adding a new class

Yeah that's how we'll get new skills if they plan that.

Else it's new aspects or uniques adding interesting features. D3 does have a lot of orange text that completely changes how skills interact.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Glad nobody likes PvP so I can keep using those zones for quick xp, with the occasional slapfight before we both run away.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tarnop posted:

1. Adding a new class

D3 is ancient and didn’t have paid seasons. POE and other seasons games have innovates wildly since reaper of souls (2014!!)

I know d4 seasons are technically free (after you pay for the base game !)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the devs don’t care about seasons and attracting people to play them that’s fine . I thought they would tho

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finally, class updates. Starting with a bunch of buffs to Barb including Charge damage being dramatically increased and adjusting shouts.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Thinking HC Druid, SC Necro for season 3. But I haven't played Rogue since launch...hmmm.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Did I miss the Rogue updates? They said they had a bunch off buffs for that class but then didn't show them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

euphronius posted:

D3 is ancient and didn’t have paid seasons. POE and other seasons games have innovates wildly since reaper of souls (2014!!)

I know d4 seasons are technically free (after you pay for the base game !)

I know, and I'd like new skills too but I don't think we're going to see a deviation from the D3 and, now that I think about it, WoW model of how new skills make their way into the game

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

EC posted:

Did I miss the Rogue updates? They said they had a bunch off buffs for that class but then didn't show them.

Didn't get too specific, just said they were buffing ranged skills more, and caltrops.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
lol, lmao

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They let the busted stuff ride for the full season. Now it's changing and new busted stuff will be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Not a huge fan of "dodge to get better loot" Vault gameplay, but we'll see how it plays out in a week. Helltide change is good, overworld Arcane Tremors and your mechanical friend sound interesting. Season Journey changes look good, especially removing some of the more esoteric (PvP especially) or harder checklist items. Total reward rework there as well, as well as the removal of the Season Journey requirements to continue the Season's storyline.

If the Gauntlet/leaderboard stuff is anything like past Diablo games, they'll be zero reasons for the average player to interact with them. Gives the higher end players and streamers something to do I guess. Unsure how much time and dev work these will take/took, but I feel it could be better spent giving improvements to the playerbase majority until the game is in a more solid place (although feeling that's gonna be the entire reason for the expansion coming this year).

Just feels kinda crazy to me to throw Gauntlets, Abattoirs and other high-end leaderboards out there when there's still no real in-game matchmaking.

also anyone that's been to irvine knows its tickytacky hell incarnate

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 18, 2024