Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The biggest problem with Harry Potter is that it took the public conception of wizardry away from shriveled old men with long beards and robes and made it synonymous with revolting British private school students

e: terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

alarumklok posted:

yeah I played the wizard game (noita). we're here. we exist.

You can respec your characters in BG3 to all be various types of wizards, thus making it a wizard game.

I wonder if anyone's done an all one class challenge and seen how that actually goes, like which class is easiest/hardest with 4 of them. I'm guessing 4 rogues would be tough.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

You can respec your characters in BG3 to all be various types of wizards, thus making it a wizard game.

I wonder if anyone's done an all one class challenge and seen how that actually goes, like which class is easiest/hardest with 4 of them. I'm guessing 4 rogues would be tough.

bg3 was pretty easy. i think the only problem would be not having enough class-specific items. though i suppose you could set up all kinds of rogues like one dual wielding crossbows, one dual wielding daggers, a bow one, a swashbuckler, one specced for heavy armor, etc, but you'd still probably be hurting for rogue-specific trinkets

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Whirling posted:

Kids can't really shape discussions online

What world do you live in?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Getting into the STar Ocean 2 remake and wow there are so many ways to break the game it's hilarious.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I'm a little surprised at the hogleg ranking, I guess people just bought it and played it but never talked about it

im sure that has nothing to do with the fact that people were basically banned from talking about it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

4 fighters would probably be easiest

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

alarumklok posted:

yeah I played the wizard game (noita). we're here. we exist.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Hatebag posted:

bg3 was pretty easy. i think the only problem would be not having enough class-specific items. though i suppose you could set up all kinds of rogues like one dual wielding crossbows, one dual wielding daggers, a bow one, a swashbuckler, one specced for heavy armor, etc, but you'd still probably be hurting for rogue-specific trinkets

bg3 was really easy by the end, even on tactician. the broken initiative system (take Alert as a feat) and the ability to completely upend the action economy with Haste and multi-classing into Fighter 2 for action surge or Thief 3 for an extra bonus action mean you can reliably delete most enemy parties in the opening round

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1747989996454224258?s=20

Not even our games that are basically just movies can exist, they're trash. It HAS to be a real HOLLYWOOD production, that's all that matters!!!!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Regarde Aduck posted:

rip alan wake 2

gently caress

Surprised no Baldur's gate tbh

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Al! posted:

its such a like labor of love/piece of artwork that also not a lot of computers can run well either, and you need the graphics cranked up for all of the effects to work properly. i honestly cant speak to the true audience other than me, and i suspect my spending 4 hours in vr on saturday morning rear end is considered normal

I can only read your username in Barry's voice and I think that is starting to affect how I read your posts too

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Saturday morning rear end in my VR world

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Lpzie posted:

Saturday morning rear end in my VR world

it's thursday

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

loquacius posted:

I should play the Discworld game at some point

you absolutely should mr rincewind

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SirSamVimes posted:

I can only read your username in Barry's voice and I think that is starting to affect how I read your posts too

lol your other option is peg bundy's voice so i can see why you went with barry

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Karach posted:

bg3 was really easy by the end, even on tactician. the broken initiative system (take Alert as a feat) and the ability to completely upend the action economy with Haste and multi-classing into Fighter 2 for action surge or Thief 3 for an extra bonus action mean you can reliably delete most enemy parties in the opening round

yep, by the end of the game you've got an unstoppable murder squad chugging meth by the gallon, flying around shooting mind lasers, and doing 4 or 5 attacks per round. but that's how most crpgs work. otherwise they'd have to have the enemies cheat or do level scaling or something. i guess they could've made late game enemies have levels >12 and skills you didn't have access to. or some really good items, etc. but then if you weren't at the level cap you'd be hosed. hm.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

it's thursday

Lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

it's thursday

not in the metaverse

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you get to the end of a billion hour CRPG you should just get access to the console. No matter the title you're talking about you've endured a lot of jank and padding and bugs and lost progress to get to that point, it's okay to then fly around like superman one shotting everything

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh, Starfield is bad? Look at how many copies it sold.

Checkmate

I just realized those figures include people who played it for free on gamepass right?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

If you get to the end of a billion hour CRPG you should just get access to the console. No matter the title you're talking about you've endured a lot of jank and padding and bugs and lost progress to get to that point, it's okay to then fly around like superman one shotting everything

no it isn't this is punk behavior

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

clucking my tongue at you so hard it's causing tremors in greece

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Buck Wildman posted:

no it isn't this is punk behavior

look at this poor bastard that doesnt appreciate CHIM

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

when you reach the end of a crpg you delete all your saves, wipe achievements, and start over. idle hands do the devil's work

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

that's how it typically works but i think it would be fun if they got harder the further along you went. i know that spoils the power fantasy but it would make more sense if the big climactic battle against an interdimensional brain monster was harder than a couple hobgoblins in a cave

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's no need for CHIM in CRPGs because you're apready insanely overpowered because they are all very poorly balanced. Either that or the enemies one shot your entire party and you have to spend two hours reading guides and respeccing

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ohohoho you choose fire affinity when you reached level three...? Eat poo poo bitch the next eleven hours take place in the Fire Kingdom of the Lava People

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1747989996454224258?s=20

Not even our games that are basically just movies can exist, they're trash. It HAS to be a real HOLLYWOOD production, that's all that matters!!!!
normally I'd agree but I think this has some additional potential to it because Until Dawn has so many different survivor outcomes. there's an opportunity to play with audience expectations about who lives/dies that a lot of other game-to-movie adaptations can't work with as cleanly

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i like the pathfinder games having extremely specific weapon specialization feats

hope you're good at guessing whether you're gonna find a bunch of good polearms throughout the game!!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hatebag posted:

that's how it typically works but i think it would be fun if they got harder the further along you went. i know that spoils the power fantasy but it would make more sense if the big climactic battle against an interdimensional brain monster was harder than a couple hobgoblins in a cave

This sort of thing is probably only possible in a 10-15 hour CRPG which don't really get made anymore, or ever probably, otherwise things have a normal power curve and every single upgrade feels pathetic or there's a ludicrous power curve and the end game is just impossible to balance predictably in either direction.

The correct way to play is to hit the "Here Be Budget Crunches" part of the mid or late-mid game and then restart with a different build, which incidentally is how people tend to naturally play these games.

edit - or of course just do something radical and make a 25 hour CRPG that's perfect by just removing the combat entirely

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It will be very funny if none of the stars reprise their roles.

Like no way do they get Malek

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Buck Wildman posted:

when you reach the end of a crpg you delete all your saves, wipe achievements, and start over. idle hands do the devil's work

I always knew Yoko Taro was a goon!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy crap, yak8 is gonna have pokemon and animal crossing in it?!

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Whirling posted:

Its a game for children and YA readers. Kids can't really shape discussions online, and the latter can't talk about the game because they will lose twitter followers.

kids don't know what harry potter is, the last book came out 17 years ago.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

This sort of thing is probably only possible in a 10-15 hour CRPG which don't really get made anymore, or ever probably, otherwise things have a normal power curve and every single upgrade feels pathetic or there's a ludicrous power curve and the end game is just impossible to balance predictably in either direction.

The correct way to play is to hit the "Here Be Budget Crunches" part of the mid or late-mid game and then restart with a different build, which incidentally is how people tend to naturally play these games.

edit - or of course just do something radical and make a 25 hour CRPG that's perfect by just removing the combat entirely

yeah, it's a consequence of how significant the choices you make are for party composition, skills, equipment, etc. so they could either make the choices unimportant or just have less of them, both of which suck.
also, enemy programming is usually pretty awful in crpgs. i was playing pathfinder a bit and multiple times enemies would just waste their turns walking back and forth. it'd be cool if they lured you into doing something and then punished you, or determined what strategy you were using and then reacted.
from needs to make a crpg

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

you should definitely run into poo poo you can’t beat because you chose a skill wrong 30 hours ago.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Honest Thief posted:

its going to be sick

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

all modern games should release with casuals in mind (even if they select the highest difficulty) but then later you can silently release a real hard mode overhaul for the vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

it's gonna be awesome op