Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Samovar posted:

Hold the phone, why is Arn not heir?

Well, Arn "abdicated" a few strips back. I think the idea might be that Arn would one day be king of Thule and Galan king of the Misty Isles, but also I think they may just be declaring Galan an heir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

Listen, did they help a notorious serial murderer lie low while also doing bare minimum due diligence to keep future victims safe from him while also letting him make a mockery of the justice system by letting his double die behind bars? Yes. Is the industrialized rapacious murder company now being headed by a substantially more ruthless strategist who wants to commit genocide on her own species because she's a race-faking traitor? Also yes.

But consider: That hedgehog has bat wings.

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 3/5/59

Yeah just dump oil into the water, no problem.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(10/13/1993)

(10/14/1993)

Ziggy

(7/23/1971)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I've read all of these so far and this comic loving sucks. It's got a real early 2000s webcomic vibe. It's basically (pre-TERF) Sinfest.

Larryb posted:

Read Bone instead if you haven't already, this is basically just a (fairly inferior in my opinion) early prototype

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah I adore Bone and Thorn is missing most of the charm and appeal, it definitely feels like Smith still figuring out what exactly he wanted to make
Yeah, I haven't actually read through it (beyond going ahead a couple days now and then) and I'm pretty surprised by this. I don't disagree with these thoughts at all, and it's not surprising that it didn't get picked up after he finished college and very surprising that Bone turns out to be as good as it is. In any case, I still think it's pretty interesting to see how he got there. I'm going to continue posting it until it's done, but definitely won't bother to repost in the future unless it gets really good later on. I will say the art is improving, at least.

Anyway, here's THORN, April 14-19, 1983

Note 3:

quote:

Walt Kelly's Pogo
This strip is an homage to one of my favorite comic strips, Pogo created by Walt Kelly.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Uncle Jeff is a real sore loser for thinking that these two still won't get along after 45 days and he needs to put his thumb on the scale.

I've been enjoying Thorn but I had a traditional wince for the author self-insert.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Yeah just dump oil into the water, no problem.

Using oil to quiet down water has a pretty long history, apparently, although it sounds like they used fish or vegetable oil rather than fuel oil.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I winced but I also laughed because it was just funny thinking of all the early webcomics and seeing how long that trope has actually gone on. I'm sure it's been around since time immemorial but still funny to see it even if it's a bit lame. At least his own SI sucks lol

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

this is going to shock some people but i don't think holbrook knows what the NCAA is

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is going to shock some people but i don't think holbrook knows what the NCAA is

I'm glad you posted this because I had the same thought.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Dang, Miing dunking on Earth having a stupid name.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Just gotta talk again about how good new Flash Gordon is, I love that callout of Flash's bravado both from the villain and his ally. It's such good characterization.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I haven't actually read through it (beyond going ahead a couple days now and then) and I'm pretty surprised by this. I don't disagree with these thoughts at all, and it's not surprising that it didn't get picked up after he finished college and very surprising that Bone turns out to be as good as it is. In any case, I still think it's pretty interesting to see how he got there. I'm going to continue posting it until it's done, but definitely won't bother to repost in the future unless it gets really good later on. I will say the art is improving, at least.

Bone is one of my favorite books of all time, so I see Thorn as a rough draft and a curiousity but not much more. It's something that's nice to see a few pages of as a bonus feature in the back of an anthology, but not something I would seek out otherwise, and I think the reason is: It's not very good. However, by the standards of "college newspaper comic strip made by a 20-year-old sophomore", it's kind of impressive. But yeah, it's just Jeff Smith's experimentation station.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never read this guys previous comics (something positive?), only this and popeye and now I think I hate him and would probably his other comics too.

I also never read Something Positive, I listened to a podcast with Randy as guest recently. He seems like a good guy and I think I'd like his webcomic stuff in the Era of Webcomics, but I can't emphasize enough what a bad choice he is for Popeye. He manages to know every detail and minutia about the character's history but not understand what makes the strip good or what makes people like Popeye.

I'm not opposed to "Popeye has feelings" comics but the problem is that is all it loving ever is now. There's so much talk and depricating snark and nothing ever happens, and when it does happen, it's a lesson in how not to draw action. There's basically nothing of original Popeye in here. I think Mousetrapped is a little better because he's given more of a blank canvas but even there everyone is sort of wandering around aimlessly muttering about their emotions.

gently caress it, I'll say it: Randy Mulholland is tumblr smol bean Guy Gilchrist.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Curtis

...is that better than a comic character that explains the cartoonists jokes?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Anyway, here's THORN, April 14-19, 1983

Note 3:

FWIW I appreciate you posting it, it's kind of fascinating as a sort of artifact related to Bone, but I get why the posters who aren't familiar with Bone wouldn't make much of it.

Also the nod to Pogo is funny because the art in Thorn makes it even more apparent that Jeff Smith likely developed his drawing chops initially by mimicking Pogo's art. It's pretty clearly a huge influence, though that's pretty apparent in Bone too, imo

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 18, 2024

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
Heart of the City

Umm, how big is this school's theater budget? SpongeBob was a Broadway show - it has songs written by John Legend, David Bowie, Sarah Bareilles, etc - I can't imagine the licensing is super cheap. You will need a flying rig for _at least_ one scene, as well as several serious stunts. It has a giant cast (which is great for a summer stock or something like that where you have a bunch of kids and they all need at least one line each, but this is a high school with, presumably, limited kids and a high-school sized stage, crewed by high-school students). What an incredibly odd choice - I'd assumed that SpongeBob was put there as a filler because they thought "kids like that cartoon" and didn't know anything more about the show. But, huh, I guess here we go.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "508 - Jucika And The Tempting Summer"

"509 - Jucika And Fashion"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wallace is edging dangerously close to the same type of "the fun little joke actually has 13 pages of worldbuilding notes behind it and here they are" arc that Crabgrass keeps trying to pull off there.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Someone got their views of quicksand from the same place as John Mulaney.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xWBCP813eU&t=63s

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ainsley posted:

Heart of the City

Umm, how big is this school's theater budget? SpongeBob was a Broadway show - it has songs written by John Legend, David Bowie, Sarah Bareilles, etc - I can't imagine the licensing is super cheap. You will need a flying rig for _at least_ one scene, as well as several serious stunts. It has a giant cast (which is great for a summer stock or something like that where you have a bunch of kids and they all need at least one line each, but this is a high school with, presumably, limited kids and a high-school sized stage, crewed by high-school students). What an incredibly odd choice - I'd assumed that SpongeBob was put there as a filler because they thought "kids like that cartoon" and didn't know anything more about the show. But, huh, I guess here we go.

Nah it's not an odd choice at all. Tons of high schools are doing Spongebob now, I haven't seen one but a ton of Broadway shows have modified versions where they write around some of the bigger stunts or technical requirements specifically for high schools and community theaters. And production rights tend to be priced on a sort of sliding scale based on the size of the theater and the type of the institution--most of the time the cost is literally based on the number of seats the theater has. They're still not cheap but even a relatively recent Broadway show can cost around $2000 USD + some flat fee per performance for general production rights for high schools (sometimes more or less depending on where the school is located).

The big script houses know they'll make the vast majority of their licensing fees off of a show in the first couple of years after the rights are available, and high schools and colleges constitute a huge amount of that money, so they price newer shows so they price them out so they're expensive but still affordable.

Also never underestimate a high school theater director's willingness to reach way beyond their grasp when it comes to producing a show that doesn't fit their stage or the cast they have available. That said, I know a bunch of even the rural high schools around here manage to drum up casts in the dozens, and some of the bigger high schools have 40+.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Saoshyant posted:

You really have nothing else to do right now, uh, Scarlet?

It's hilarious that she's been getting paid for this snooping and meddling by working as that guy's model the whole time.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

Elsewhere: New comic on the page.

If there's goon demand I'll post it, but otherwise I probably post too much poo poo already. :v:
If I remember right, this evolved into basically being about the Rev. Will B. Dunn, with the actual Kudzu only showing up sometimes. That's how I remember it by the time I read it anyways. I don't remember liking it, to be honest. I wouldn't recommend adding it to your routine unless you want to.

Ainsley posted:

Heart of the City

I think it's a middle school. They don't even have high school resources.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Nice deer audience take: "Do you believe this poo poo, folks."

Mary Worth

Time for a Muffining.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Samovar posted:

Ha-ha! Child Labour!

it's a memoir. this is meaningfully different from out our way how

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

you broke my grill posted:

what if Dr. Rex Morgan, MD had to give Rene a sponge bath ha ha just kidding

I don't think we've seen anything to indicate the hospital is that critically understaffed. It'd be some nurse that does it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

I just had a box of Rice Krispies for the first time in ages. Every time I poured milk into the bowl, my cat would get VERY concerned about the snapping, the crackling and the popping.

Rose is Rose

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

Time for a Muffining.

This better lead to Mary discovering that he killed that fake hippie.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Samovar posted:

Ha-ha! Child Labour!

This was incredibly common practice in the 80s and earlier for Mexican-American families and talking to my grandmother it was common for white families too in the 60s as a way to make extra money in the coastal Central Valley of CA.

But if you want to talk about truly hosed up the farmers wouldn’t halt their pesticide spraying schedule and would just douse everyone.

Ask me about how my grandma died from a rare form of cancer directly linked to strawberry pesticides used as late as the 60s.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Oh man, we're straight back into something - Phantom is recapping the start of the 1953 storyline 'The Chain'. The scans online suck, but this page has what's probably all the pertinent information.

an ignoramus:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

”cliffhanger!” posted:

We Are Reproducing: timg’d for more breast-oriented content

The tenth and final chapter of Bardiche Hotel dropped today. Chapter 10: Shooting Star

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Nah it's not an odd choice at all. Tons of high schools are doing Spongebob now, I haven't seen one but a ton of Broadway shows have modified versions where they write around some of the bigger stunts or technical requirements specifically for high schools and community theaters. And production rights tend to be priced on a sort of sliding scale based on the size of the theater and the type of the institution--most of the time the cost is literally based on the number of seats the theater has. They're still not cheap but even a relatively recent Broadway show can cost around $2000 USD + some flat fee per performance for general production rights for high schools (sometimes more or less depending on where the school is located).

The big script houses know they'll make the vast majority of their licensing fees off of a show in the first couple of years after the rights are available, and high schools and colleges constitute a huge amount of that money, so they price newer shows so they price them out so they're expensive but still affordable.

Also never underestimate a high school theater director's willingness to reach way beyond their grasp when it comes to producing a show that doesn't fit their stage or the cast they have available. That said, I know a bunch of even the rural high schools around here manage to drum up casts in the dozens, and some of the bigger high schools have 40+.

My high school did a Little Shop of Horrors production where we (as in cast and crew highschoolers) designed and built the set and costumes. We had the flowershop on a pivot point with wheels, so it could be turned around for scene changes by just pushing on one end. This did have a flaw, however, when the piece that actually lets it pivot wasn't slotted in place for one show, and 8 people had to shove that thing into position while the live music stalled for time.
The Audrey 2 puppets were real good too. That director pushed for all the bells and whistles.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Zereth posted:

I don't think we've seen anything to indicate the hospital is that critically understaffed. It'd be some nurse that does it.

Unless.....

The Dingbat Family/The Family Upstairs(July 21, 1910)

Baron Bean(January 20, 1916)spoilered again

Positive Polly/Polly and Her Pals(December 19, 1912)

Gasoline Alley(September 8, 1919)

Us Boys(October 18, 1911)

The Gumps(February 15, 1917)

Pharaoh's Horses

Krazy Kat(November 13, 1913)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I love how We are procreating draws the kid, but with more and more strips I gotta say the lady is questionable. She does say “don’t take my advice” but she seems kinda lovely in general.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing: timg’d for more breast-oriented content

Maybe I'm being thick; I suppose she means that if your mammaries are high & firm before pregnancy, then they may return to that form under the care she recommends...but I dated ladies (at 18-19) that had sag at 19-20-years of age, and my wife said hers did the same before she was 21. Maybe it is size-related (just happened that all were somewhat above average in cup & chest).

I also remember reading Marjane Satrapi's Persopolis, and how her mother swore by cold rosewater baths to stay firm. No idea if there is anything to that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

It’s a simple matter to have your hub converted to Dark Web running. Just talk to your ISP. Ahhhh, who am I kidding? Openreach said they’d come back to clip the broadband cable to my house wall back in July, citing a “shortage of long ladders”. No sign. No sign.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

And that leads us into the next issue!

But the first couple of pages are damaged. I'm including them, just in case anyone wants to have partial context for the following page.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Oh, a diety. Is that when you want to lose weight, but only sorta?

quote:

Mary Worth

Mary just recklessly tempting fate here.

Boys!!! Shoes!!!!!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

There's a nonzero chance that due to the release of this strip and Feuti actually knowing some hobby junk, Donny's meant to be talking about the game Malifaux.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 3/9/52

Archie 4/21-23/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 11/29 - 12/1/76

And if you can't trust a psychologist with a leisure suit and a pornstache, who can you trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: With Love From Rufus

Next Time: The Bluebeard Affair!