Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Slugworth posted:

Started watching Lynch Dune for the first time.

Guys. This is pretty bad.

The shield effect is hysterical, even allowing for the fact that it's 40 years old. Aliens came out two years later. Why does this look so cheap??

Guild navigator pretty cool.

Fell asleep about half an hour in. Unclear if I'll be continuing.

Toxic Mental posted:

It's really good and you're drat fool, Smugworth

You're both correct. It's really good because it's also hilariously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dune 1984 is one of those rare movies where sometimes it looks really good and sometimes it looks bad. It is a land of contrasts. I still love it tho.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
There's a right one? Because the "weirding modules" thing always threw me right out of it. I like Lynch, I love Dune, but I do not like Lynch Dune.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

there is definitely an edit and I forget the name but somebody will know and it is like the perfect Dune movie. But I also think the weirding modules are awesome and way better than David Lynch trying to somehow put karate on screen. in fact as a dune freak and a dude in Paris I love a lot of things that he put in that movie. chaaaaa SA!

in the good edit there is no rain for instance that's one of the bad things. poo poo is it called the spice edit?

edit I meant to say Dune purist but I wish I was a dude in Paris right now so I'm leaving it

kiimo fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 18, 2024

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
I was really wondering why being in Paris made you an authority but I was just gonna go with it.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Only Parisians know good Lynch edits

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I read "dude in paris" and thought "well, fair enough, they probably know what they're talking about"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Slugworth posted:

Started watching Lynch Dune for the first time.

Guys. This is pretty bad.

The shield effect is hysterical, even allowing for the fact that it's 40 years old. Aliens came out two years later. Why does this look so cheap??

Guild navigator pretty cool.

Fell asleep about half an hour in. Unclear if I'll be continuing.

The shield effect was apparently an incredibly involved special effect, here's corridor crew trying to replicate the effect in modern gfx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C09-xuAXWpk

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lynch Dune is an utter disaster of a film and a very awkward and gross adaptation of material that I feel strongly about. However, it is an extremely interesting disaster and sort of a time capsule of the precise end of golden age sci-fi in film. After Dune bombed many of the aspects of sci-fi that its style sought to emphasize started to disappear rapidly and were replaced with a much more slick and cynical studio apparatus. Verhoeven ended up being one of the only directors that seemed able to both take advantage of the emergent audience/filmmaker paradigm in sci-fi after Star Wars/Dune while also deconstructing it and mocking its more shallow impulses. After Dune there were only a few prominent sci-fi films releases I can think of that were still still attempting what Dune had in 1984, one of them being Lifeforce the very next year, and that was also a huge bomb that further entrenched the shift in audience taste and what could be produced thereafter. I recall the very golden age Enemy Mine was also '85, a huge flop, and might as well be unknown to history at this point.

Aliens/The Terminator is a very notable turning point imo. If you look at both The Thing and Blade Runner from 1982, they both kind of bombed but Blade Runner was reassessed when its less classically styled Director's Cut hit home video, a marked improvement imo but still notably a tonal shift. The Thing feels like an outlier because the concept is pure golden age DNA, but the execution was utterly post-modern and cynical in the very best way, and I think its failure had more to do with people simply not understanding how to approach Carpenter's style. Otherwise the sci-fi genre after Aliens was getting a lot more slick as it winked at the audience.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

kiimo posted:

there is definitely an edit and I forget the name but somebody will know and it is like the perfect Dune movie. But I also think the weirding modules are awesome and way better than David Lynch trying to somehow put karate on screen. in fact as a dune freak and a dude in Paris I love a lot of things that he put in that movie. chaaaaa SA!

in the good edit there is no rain for instance that's one of the bad things. poo poo is it called the spice edit?

edit I meant to say Dune purist but I wish I was a dude in Paris right now so I'm leaving it
Spicedivers Dune: Alternative Edition Redux - specifically, the 1080p rebuild based on the bluray:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yw2nGCUPa4

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

kiimo posted:

I searched past memories to the era of one page ago:

Admiralty Flag posted:

spicediver edit

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

How were you able to access last page memories? Abomination!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Slugworth posted:

Whaa? I thought the shield effect was one of the cooler/less dated effects in the whole thing

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

kiimo posted:

It's this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

David Lynch is a bit of a hack in some days, BUT the Villeneuve movie has a regrettable paucity of Sir Patrick Stewart leading his men into battle with a gun in one hand and an Atreides battle-pug in the other, and that is frankly unforgivable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It was barely Lynch’s movie. He didn’t have the power to edit it iirc

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lynch didn’t get final cut which is why he disavowed the movie and still seems pretty pained about it even 40 years later(!)

For all that though, it is intensely Lynchian, the fact that it got taken away from him and mangled is Lynchian as anything else, and i can’t not love it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Enemy Mine rules

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah basically all the good parts are Lynch getting weird with it, but as a whole you can just watch, like, any other Lynch movie

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
but i don't want to watch another lynch movie, i want to watch the battle pug movie

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Having read Evry's A Masterpiece in Disarray and Naha's The Making of Dune, the basic problem is that adapting Dune to a 2ish hour movie is somewhere between incredibly difficult and impossible. Significantly, Villeneuve and the Syfy miniseries didn't even pretend to try, Jodorowsky wanted to do something insane that was 2 hours long, and Ridley Scott decided it was impossible and dropped the project.

But even if there was a really good and efficient script, making the movie required a lot of budgetary discipline, and Lynch and Raffaella De Laurentiis did not have the experience at the time to hold such a complex production to schedule. Some of the effects were incredible, I especially love the Arrakeen landing field scene. Originally, post-production effects were supposed to be provided by John Dykstra's Apogee (Dyskstra basically invented modern special effects working on Star Wars), but Lynch had blown through the budget filming weird little scenes that got cut and the production could no longer afford Apogee. The second choice effects shops did the best they could with the crumbs that were left, but the end results were a lot closer to "Dune: Sweded" than anything out of ILM.

Anyways, can I get uh... spice coffee?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Whatever merits and demerits Lynch Dune has, I rarely see Kyle MacLachlan take any of the criticism which is sort of flummoxing to me. He's obviously great in so many things, but he just seemed wildly unsuited to the part of Paul and that sits like a millstone around the neck of the film- moreso as Paul transforms from a wide-eyed kid into a cult figure. Beyond merely being too old for the role, he seems to try play Paul a bit like Luke Skywalker, which is not at all what that role required.

Biffmotron posted:

adapting Dune to a 2ish hour movie is somewhere between incredibly difficult and impossible. Significantly, Villeneuve and the Syfy miniseries didn't even pretend to try, Jodorowsky wanted to do something insane that was 2 hours long, and Ridley Scott decided it was impossible and dropped the project.

I agree with this. I really love the new Dune, but it does seem to try to split the difference by including a little bit of so many ideas and themes from the book rather than excising a few entirely and focusing on a couple themes (religion, ecology, colonialism, palace intrigue, etc.). Also the book is pretty infamous for how little time is dedicated to action scenes. The sandcrawler bit is fairly long, but the final attack on Arrakeen is amazingly brief, and it's that brevity that gives the book room to explore all the weird poo poo that people love about Dune. Whereas in the Villeneuve movie that ratio seems to be almost inverted. Not a giant surprise given that film has its own strengths and weaknesses, but I do wish more time was given over to dialogue.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 18, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mad Hamish posted:

David Lynch is a bit of a hack in some days, BUT the Villeneuve movie has a regrettable paucity of Sir Patrick Stewart leading his men into battle with a gun in one hand and an Atreides battle-pug in the other, and that is frankly unforgivable.

The fight that takes place in is in part 2, so there's still hope.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Lynch didn’t get final cut which is why he disavowed the movie and still seems pretty pained about it even 40 years later(!)

For all that though, it is intensely Lynchian, the fact that it got taken away from him and mangled is Lynchian as anything else, and i can’t not love it
The TV version was disavowed, but he reavowed the movie when it started making money - hence why his name is on the movie, and it isn't credited to Alan Smithee.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lynch's Dune is the best Warhammer 40K movie ever made.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He disavowed the later remake the studio did for TV. His name is on the theater version

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

kiimo posted:

Enemy Mine rules

This is absolutely correct

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jewmanji posted:

Whatever merits and demerits Lynch Dune has, I rarely see Kyle MacLachlan take any of the criticism which is sort of flummoxing to me.

a bold stance, but if i may propose a counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1650562752258138114

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

I agree with this. I really love the new Dune, but it does seem to try to split the difference by including a little bit of so many ideas and themes from the book rather than excising a few entirely and focusing on a couple themes (religion, ecology, colonialism, palace intrigue, etc.). Also the book is pretty infamous for how little time is dedicated to action scenes. The sandcrawler bit is fairly long, but the final attack on Arrakeen is amazingly brief, and it's that brevity that gives the book room to explore all the weird poo poo that people love about Dune. Whereas in the Villeneuve movie that ratio seems to be almost inverted. Not a giant surprise given that film has its own strengths and weaknesses, but I do wish more time was given over to dialogue.

Yeah Duncan's ornithopter escape in DUNC is cool and looks amazing but really it seems a bit out of sorts with the rest of the film and the book in particular.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

priznat posted:

Yeah Duncan's ornithopter escape in DUNC is cool and looks amazing but really it seems a bit out of sorts with the rest of the film and the book in particular.

My biggest problem with that scene is Momoa just had a look of mild irritation the entire time, like he's at an intersection and the car in front of him won't move on green.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
The part of DUNC's escape that rustled my jimmies the most is that his ornithopter is shielded and they're still firing las guns at him, so we won't have any discussion of the shield/las gun interaction in D2NC. Which I guess isn't the worst thing to get rid of since we don't (I think) see a shield/las interaction until either Heretics or Chapterhouse so it's irrelevant from a film perspective.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Isn't there some Tolkien-reinforced evidence that Tom Bombadil is actually literally the God of the LOTR universe

There is a canonical God of the LOTR universe, it's Eru Iluvatar, and he is very much not a 'hey nonny nonny' kind of deity. Or indeed, like, directly active in the world with very rare exceptions.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jewmanji posted:

Whatever merits and demerits Lynch Dune has, I rarely see Kyle MacLachlan take any of the criticism which is sort of flummoxing to me. He's obviously great in so many things, but he just seemed wildly unsuited to the part of Paul and that sits like a millstone around the neck of the film- moreso as Paul transforms from a wide-eyed kid into a cult figure. Beyond merely being too old for the role, he seems to try play Paul a bit like Luke Skywalker, which is not at all what that role required.

the gently caress?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cacator posted:

My biggest problem with that scene is Momoa just had a look of mild irritation the entire time, like he's at an intersection and the car in front of him won't move on green.

lmao yeah I was wondering if it was in there just to get Momoa some more screen time but yeah he looks bored as hell in it. I think he was a terrible choice for Duncan really but whatever, not in it much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Eru is a hard working man in the time of LOTR, but yeah maybe that is an exception

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jesus In A Can posted:

The part of DUNC's escape that rustled my jimmies the most is that his ornithopter is shielded and they're still firing las guns at him, so we won't have any discussion of the shield/las gun interaction in D2NC. Which I guess isn't the worst thing to get rid of since we don't (I think) see a shield/las interaction until either Heretics or Chapterhouse so it's irrelevant from a film perspective.
It's a pretty loving important reason for why Baron Harkonnen ends up using old-style artillery to bombard the Fremen, which is a a strategy so unorthodox, that even a mentat like Hawat is impressed by it.

feedmegin posted:

There is a canonical God of the LOTR universe, it's Eru Iluvatar, and he is very much not a 'hey nonny nonny' kind of deity. Or indeed, like, directly active in the world with very rare exceptions.
Tom Bombadil predates all of the races of Middle-Earth, so I can understand why people think he might be a kind of god; I always read it as him being a manifestation of the power of coincidences/randomness.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 18, 2024

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mamoa kind of sucks as dunc-an. It's not a fatal mistake but still good luck with that in messiah

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Tom Bombadil predates all of the races of Middle-Earth, so I can understand why people think he might be a kind of god; I always read it as him being a manifestation of the power of coincidences/randomness.

Bombadil is Iluvatar's layabout little brother.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Mamoa kind of sucks as dunc-an. It's not a fatal mistake but still good luck with that in messiah

Someone like Timothy Olyphant when he was younger would have been really good. Momoa can’t be serious enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Spazzle posted:

Bombadil is Iluvatar's layabout little brother.

Tom Bombadil as Billy Beer Carter tracks