Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's not like they've failed to land most of their major changes, either, with the only big stumble being that AP items were overtuned (especially stormsurge) leading to way too much burst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ADCs are hosed, the new meta will be running two supports - thing people have been saying for 7 years now

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Endorph posted:

ADCs are hosed, the new meta will be running two supports - thing people have been saying for 7 years now

Which inevitably gets solved when Riot once more force ADCs into the meta the way they always do via item tuning. Because they're not going to screw over a very popular role that only has one actual position in the team (compared to how often it is totally fine for Supports/Mid/Top/Jungle to have different "archetypes/classes" be playable in them).

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ADCs are completely useless, that's why every pro game right now is nothing but bot lane ganks to get their ADC ahead for the first 10 minutes.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
the murdered the double support thing already, about as fast as they killed double targons

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

njsykora posted:

ADCs are completely useless, that's why every pro game right now is nothing but bot lane ganks to get their ADC ahead for the first 10 minutes.

That's because with the map changes bot is the only gankable lane. Get ready to hear that for a couple months.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

No Wave posted:

What game were players like yourself looking to move onto instead?

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm going to be blatantly honest. The only reason why I play this game is so I keep up with the lore so I am ready for whenever the MMO comes. Otherwise, gently caress all Yasuo mains.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
riot makes the vast majority of their revenue from league, of course they care about it, jesus christ. valorant does gangbusters too cuz i guess fps players have been conditioned to pay ludicrous amounts of money for cosmetics? i thought a $30 legendary skin was a bold move but good gravy

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

Meanwhile, Miss Fortunes and Jhins are going hyphee every game

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Veev posted:

That's because with the map changes bot is the only gankable lane. Get ready to hear that for a couple months.

Says every bad jungler.

Been rolling my honey ball up top all day today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mid is hella easy to gank if you can get behind them because lol you don't have a side brush to run to.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

riot makes the vast majority of their revenue from league, of course they care about it, jesus christ. valorant does gangbusters too cuz i guess fps players have been conditioned to pay ludicrous amounts of money for cosmetics? i thought a $30 legendary skin was a bold move but good gravy

FOMO is an amazing business model

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the issue with the 'bot lane is the only gankable lane' thought is that the other jungler is thinking the same thing so if you keep ganking bot it just turns into a 3v3 fiesta

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

I've come back to the game after a three year hiatus after some mild coaxing from friends. I enjoyed ranked play, so I've been shaking off the rust and getting back into the groove of things. I predominately play top and then just fill. Honestly, it doesn't feel much different in broad strokes. Aspects of the game are always a bit over/undertuned, nerds are trying to replicate the top end of players while lacking the ability to execute, and people are a grab bag of reliability with a sprinkling of misanthropy.

I'm having fun, honestly. An opponent ballin' out of control with Stormsurge is kind of bland, but doesn't feel much more irritating than the usual snowball. Playing games and working out a niche that works while being entertaining is still the same dopamine drip.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Between the new AP items and the new assassin items, the game is insanely bursty right now. Feels like pre-durability patch, maybe even worse.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Obviously, the game is not a joke. But it's very easy to see when RIot decides to just backseat and develop it to milk money rather than actually try to make something that is creative and new that doesn't completely break the game. Diamond+ is a hell hole.

have you played this game for more than 6 months? it used to be that every season broke the gently caress out of the game. thats gonna keep happening if they give a poo poo about it and good on it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Verviticus posted:

have you played this game for more than 6 months? it used to be that every season broke the gently caress out of the game. thats gonna keep happening if they give a poo poo about it and good on it

I will never forget the few weeks where most champs that could use AD had their best build as "as many Black Cleavers as you can hold, also boots"

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
To everyone saying league isn't that toxic, sure maybe not from a perspective of racism and bigotry, but in terms of in game/drafting griefing it's a lot of the time unbearable.

I don't show what champion I want to play in ranked draft anymore because people will REGULARLY ban your pick (even if you're first pick) to gently caress with you for no reason.

I've also had several instances of supports picking top laners and then just coming top and fighting you for CS, as well as the usual AFKers/yuumi bots, etc.

This might be because I'm bronze though (picked up the game last year).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
That is a fairly unique bronze experience, yeah, do your best to focus objectives to end games and play things that can 1vs9 a win despite your teams best efforts to lose the lead and play a 50 minute game.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm sick of bots in this game.

loving why do they exist just to afk in jungle or behave like a weird ADC.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Anidav posted:

I'm sick of bots in this game.

loving why do they exist just to afk in jungle or behave like a weird ADC.

outside of ranked, it's solely to farm to 30 so they can sell the account; in ranked, it's so that they can skirt AFK detection while still dragging the account down to iron to sell to people who want to smurf or make iron-to-X content creation videos

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

They exist to get as many accounts to trash tier ranked as possible so they can sell them to people who want to smurf.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I will never forget the few weeks where most champs that could use AD had their best build as "as many Black Cleavers as you can hold, also boots"

six black cleaver MF was hilarious. inthesto had some great videos of it but they took them down ages ago.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 20, 2024

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

After three years of not playing and working on shaking off the rust and... relearning everything, I'm in bronze. Am I crazy or is this place a sort of hellhole for smurfs and bots these days? I'm trying to just shrug and assume I'm horrible after years away. :v:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its the start of the season, it'll likely improve over the next month.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
the viability of smurfs must be protected at all costs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i think people overestimate the amount of smurfs. there are a lot of guys who have good basic mechanics and absolutely zero map awareness who deserve to be in bronze but stomp pretty much every lane they're in and whether they turn that into a win or not is a conflip.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

tbh i think people overestimate the amount of smurfs. there are a lot of guys who have good basic mechanics and absolutely zero map awareness who deserve to be in bronze but stomp pretty much every lane they're in and whether they turn that into a win or not is a conflip.

yeah, like, i'm back to playing ranked for the first time in a while in silver, and the general mechanics on display are pretty drat good. the problem most of the time is pure mentality or a lack of macro sense: people push when they shouldn't or go for insane high risk plays (e.g. our 18/5 akali who threw the game by randomly skulking off into the woods to try and get a pick at 40 minutes and got mobbed by the entire enemy team) instead of playing the map intelligently

i think it can feel like you're up against smurfs because people in general play at their best if they're already at an advantage, so the zed who gets far ahead in your game looks like god, but look him up in the next game where he's neutral or down and he probably looks like your average bronze player

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

All fair points. The curiosity about the frequency of smurfs was due to what I thought was a weird amount of accounts that only played 1-2 champions or were listed as bronze/iron/unranked, but really didn't feel like they were. That's where I'm thinking I'm just way worse than when I last quit. :v:

I'm mostly motivated to raise my rank back up so I can duo with a couple friends of mine, but it's starting to look like a longer term endeavor than I expected.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

smurfs definitely should be destroyed because they're probably one of the worst things in the game and encountering one in the wild can sour the experience for someone for a lifetime and we won't be missing anything if some streamer or youtuber is forced to play AP khazix in their actual mmr and get reported or banned. i loathe to admit it but DotA 2 actually did something very correct by forcing everyone on their primary account

that being said matchmaking mmr has been historically totally hosed for a long time. i remember a few years ago just doing the requisite ten games in flex to get to gold for the season skin on the way to promos from silver 1 there was a grandmaster solo queue irelia main on the opposing side. granted, his teammates were dogshit and we farmed the hell out of them instead and won but that kind of disparity seems ridiculous, even if you can claim that they're separate modes it should be extremely obvious within a game or so the grandmaster shouldn't be a gatekeeper for gold 4

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
i think there are non-malicious reasons to have a smurf tho which i think is the reason riot hasnt taken a ton of action against them outside of clash. like until they try role-specific MMR again its kind of the fairest possible way to learn a new role you're bad at, plus its a good way to play with a new player without absolutely destroying the experience for them by having them lane against some diamond random ("isnt this just ruining the game for other people instead" yeah it is but listen if i gotta choose between my friend having a bad time or a stranger then we do what we must on this bitch of an earth)

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Monicro posted:

i think there are non-malicious reasons to have a smurf tho which i think is the reason riot hasnt taken a ton of action against them outside of clash. like until they try role-specific MMR again its kind of the fairest possible way to learn a new role you're bad at, plus its a good way to play with a new player without absolutely destroying the experience for them by having them lane against some diamond random ("isnt this just ruining the game for other people instead" yeah it is but listen if i gotta choose between my friend having a bad time or a stranger then we do what we must on this bitch of an earth)

Yeah, the want for an alt account kind of falls into two buckets from our point of view:

1. Having an a separate account for a new role, wanting a different account for a different game, and things in this vein.

2. Wanting a smurf account that’s in a lower skill bracket than you should be to just purposefully run down people who are lower in skill than you.

#1 is ok, but we’re trying to take steps to stop #2. It’s complicated, though, and not the easy to get done (both from a detection and from a red tape point of view). There is some good stuff in the works to make the smurfing situation better though, imo.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

I don't really know the solve there but I really don't like smurfs because most of the time they're absolutely the second category and not the first in Agrias's example. And the solve of bots matchmaking other bots just perpetuates the weird gray market for level 30 accounts that Riot doesn't seemingly have a qualm with. The real pain point a smurf account might alleviate is when you're trying to onboard friends that barely play or are totally new when you've played for a decade and the matchmaking gets pushed upwards and the new guy gets put through a cheese grater. And yeah while it's my friend getting a normal or fun experience, it's still bad for the rando on the other end that gets turned to paste and quits. PVP game needs to have players to versus in order to survive, etc

And I don't really understand needing a new account for a new role. If you're a seasoned player a lot of the skills that you've acquired from one lane will be transferable and even if not you've got a good understanding of the game that you can figure out the mechanics of a different lane with sufficient practice or, better yet, talking with friends that main the role what they do and think. You don't have to swap to an account you bought for a few bucks farmed by bots fighting other bots, you can figure it out. I've mained jungle for most of the time I've played league and I can still play ADC, top, and support at a respectable enough level if I have to. I'm sure you all can figure it out too

I mean if you wanna main a role and you wanna swap to a different account it's less "I wanna learn this lane" and more "I want to win while doing it"

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 21, 2024

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You could just play normal and tank your mmr where nobody cares but then you couldn’t show how cool you are going from wood tier to masters on a stream.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
That's kind of the thing though, is tanking your MMR and putting your teammates through all those games you're not technically putting your best effort into not the same thing, essentially, as what smurfing does to the enemy team? i guess its technically worse in the sense that its 4 players you're upsetting vs 5 but that seems pedantic to me

I think the ideal solution is they need to bring back role-specific MMR but they'd have to make it actually work this time, which I'll give them the benefit of the doubt is probably difficult. but it seems like a hard square to circle to me

Monicro fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 21, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://www.riotgames.com/en/news/2024-player-update

Here come the Layoffs

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

seems like no one's safe these days, unfortunately, so i suppose it was only a matter of time

i will say that they're at least being generous: a minimum six months severance, cash bonus, extended health coverage, free laptop, and career support's a lot more than you've been seeing elsewhere in the industry

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the solution that has the best net good is really loving easy. ban everyone's smurf. valve nailed it and its pathetic to watch riot equivocate about it when its by far and away the largest contribution to toxicity in the game

Monicro posted:

maybe just play that role in draft?

also lol at "well i want to do this, so therefore its ok if i ruin other people's games". what a stupid rationale

Servaetes posted:

And I don't really understand needing a new account for a new role. If you're a seasoned player a lot of the skills that you've acquired from one lane will be transferable and even if not you've got a good understanding of the game that you can figure out the mechanics of a different lane with sufficient practice or, better yet, talking with friends that main the role what they do and think. You don't have to swap to an account you bought for a few bucks farmed by bots fighting other bots, you can figure it out. I've mained jungle for most of the time I've played league and I can still play ADC, top, and support at a respectable enough level if I have to. I'm sure you all can figure it out too

I mean if you wanna main a role and you wanna swap to a different account it's less "I wanna learn this lane" and more "I want to win while doing it"

no man, league is a scary and intimidating game and if i lose a couple games learning a new thing i will get anxiety

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 23, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it's also a bit of a bummer to see riot forge going away, since i think every game under the umbrella was good-to-great at a minimum. ruined king's still easily one of the best classical turn based RPGs out there, and mageseeker/song of nunu/chronobreak were all solid titles in their respective genres

the reasoning given's a bit strange, and my real guess is that the amount of support needed to ensure artistic consistency and squaring any new titles with their push towards a unified canon outweighed the profit the games were bringing in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Vermain posted:

it's also a bit of a bummer to see riot forge going away, since i think every game under the umbrella was good-to-great at a minimum. ruined king's still easily one of the best classical turn based RPGs out there, and mageseeker/song of nunu/chronobreak were all solid titles in their respective genres

the reasoning given's a bit strange, and my real guess is that the amount of support needed to ensure artistic consistency and squaring any new titles with their push towards a unified canon outweighed the profit the games were bringing in

Riot is about to go all in on their MMO and needs as many resources as possible. They are now banking on Arcane and other titles to build the world, so their future investment pays off.