Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I've had several good taxi encounters where they start on "the thing about these immigrants is -" and my American wife cuts across them with "WELL IM AN IMMIGRANT". It's pretty fun, you either get immediate backpedaling, or else some desperate attempt to categorise her as "one of the good ones" and get back on track, or sometimes insanely funny frosty silence.

Regardless, the lesson is that this poo poo is often paper thin and not very considered and if you push back on it at all you can shame them into stfu. Only recommended if you feel safe to do so of course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

BalloonFish posted:

Yeah. They must be out there. Isn't 2017 the high water mark for Labour votes in England? Corbs got more votes that year than Blair did in 1997.

Nah Corbs got 12.9m in '17 and Blair got 13.5m in '97. And of course the UK population has gone from 58 to 67m in that time. So Blair was more popular in '97.

But Corbyn got a higher number of votes than Blair got in any other election.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Failed Imagineer posted:

In my mind that's what you all sound like.

lol this thread is as bougie as gently caress they all sound like David Cameron

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

I've had several good taxi encounters where they start on "the thing about these immigrants is -" and my American wife cuts across them with "WELL IM AN IMMIGRANT". It's pretty fun, you either get immediate backpedaling, or else some desperate attempt to categorise her as "one of the good ones" and get back on track, or sometimes insanely funny frosty silence.

Regardless, the lesson is that this poo poo is often paper thin and not very considered and if you push back on it at all you can shame them into stfu. Only recommended if you feel safe to do so of course
Also I'm not sure a bunch of them believe it. They believe in the belief in it.

It's a bit like the "it's impossible to tell if someone actually believes in God or just says they do and does all the ritual and says all the prayers" "God will know" "yeah but I want to kick the poo poo out of them now" debates that plagued religious discourse back when a lot of it was still done with sticks.

They believe that everyone believes that immigrants are ruining the place because the papers say that and their friends say that and the people they chat to either agree or stay quiet, so it's a 'safe' avenue of conversation until the minute someone pushes back and then it's clear that it's not your tribe any more.

A bit like how most of the boomer "I hate my wife" jokes died off after men found out that you can actually be friends with women, who are sometimes in places outside the house. They just changed focus to "I hate feminists" and then "I hate blue haired woke gender studies students" to shift focus while letting a few more people in.

Still cunty behaviour.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Skulker posted:

It all sounds the same when me and the boys get together and do our bad English accents that roam wildly from Danny Dyer to Jacob Rees-Mogg.

E: also, bougie as gently caress? I know 99 has a Tesla and lives on a diet of swan necks, but most of the thread is like "I have lived on baked beans for eight years and my only hobby is PS1 games I scavenge from the bins behind Oxfam"

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah I went to buy some power converters (at Tosche Station) when we first moved here and the guy I bought them from was going on about immigrants and I said "Well I'm an immigrant" which was already obvious from my accent and the fact I was buying 120-240v converters from Canadian to British plugs, and he went on with the "but I'm fine with people who come here legally because my wife is Chinese and blah blah blah" but it was still some xenophobic poo poo.

E: Also the guy owned a loving business where the main product was converters for plugs/power systems not from Canada so like, surely 95+% of his customers are probably immigrants? Seems a weird field to go into.

Oh *and* I just remembered the guy was clearly from some kind of middle-eastern background so even more bizarre but just goes to show that many people are *extremely* unaware of/have skewed views of class interests.

Double Edit: And it's even worse because unless you're a native/First Nations person in Canada then you're all fundamentally immigrants going back far enough.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 18, 2024

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Skulker posted:

fr

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Also I'm not sure a bunch of them believe it. They believe in the belief in it.

Yes I very much think this is it

Guavanaut posted:

Still cunty behaviour.

And this

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Good post.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that people don't stop and think if something makes sense. It's always fun to hear people say mainstream media is worthless but believe whatever they pump out.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah if there's something to make you hopeful it's that (at least, I reckon) 95+% of these people don't actually have strong beliefs in this poo poo that they've thought deeply about and decided that it must be true. It's all just a function of never having stopped to think about poo poo.

It's cargo-cult racism, basically.

And it's kind of understandable. It's a very easy to see that "there are more foreign-looking/sounding people around here than there used to be", and "things are getting harder for working people". Both of those things are undeniably true. And it's a really simple, easy narrative and an "obvious" explanation that one is the fault of the other. All it takes are for a few people to buy it and repeat it enough and if you're not the sort of person to stop and think and say "hang on a minute, immigrants have a hard time of things too, maybe the problem is systemic" then it's much easier to integrate that into your own "beliefs", even if you don't really *believe* it.

But yes. Still cunty.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lidl rarely has swan anymore anyway.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lidl rarely has swan anymore anyway.

My local LIDL had poop the other day

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

fuctifino posted:

strange, thats not the Loaf section...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

kecske posted:

#truebrit indeed

The spilled drink down her front gets me every time.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of poo poo:

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1748044478621897137

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

Is that a kernel of sweetcorn sticking out of the right side of it?

As is the fashion these days. :lofty:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I wonder where supermarkets get their floor tiles from.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/freddiejh8/status/1748044406081335652

It's good that people are trying to address this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't know that the bar is the best place to get an answer out of him but I suppose the dispatch box hasn't been very effective historically either so you might as well try getting him shitfaced.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

1957 isn't even that long ago. I'm reliably informed it's one year after the first Eurovision song contest started and some other nonsense in Egypt that no-one cares about.

I'm only interested if it's like 1488 or something.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

grobbo posted:

Every once in a while I still think back to that infamous article where she goes to a murder victim's neighbourhood in Bristol, tries and fails to cheat the toll on Clifton Suspension Bridge, and then concludes her article by sorrowfully shaking her head at a world where murder is OK and yet bridge tolls exist.

Just bugfuck nuts.
My favourite is when she wrote about trying to obtain steal her husband's sperm from his used condom. Earned her the nickname "Jizz Loans".

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think she's actually a champion of tenants rights now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Champion of tennants more like.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I was thinking of that exact article, lol. She also wondered how people could just drive past without performatively honking or dipping their lights in respect, then made up a story about how she got to the toll bridge and someone gave her 50p and said "don't worry, we're not all monsters" completely unprompted.

I'll have to dig it up, it was deliriously stupid.
http://theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2011/jan/19/dailymail-joanna-yeates

quote:

I don’t have 50p and try tossing 30p and a White Company button into the bucket. It doesn’t work.

There is now an angry queue behind me. Isn’t it interesting that you can snatch a young woman’s life away from her in the most violent, painful, frightening way possible, take away her future children, her future Christmases, take away everything she loves, and yet there are elaborate systems in place to ensure you do not cross a bridge for only 30 pence?

Finally, a man in a taxi jumps out, and runs to me brandishing a 50p piece.

‘Not all men are monsters,’ he says, grinning. Maybe not. But one monster is all it takes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I wonder where supermarkets get their floor tiles from.

the supermarket

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Checks out

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Rishi Sunak hit by new no confidence letters from Tory MPs

quote:

Rishi Sunak has been hit by new letters of no confidence from Conservative MPs amid fresh questions over his leadership.

The anger of Tory backbenchers has been fuelled by the way they felt they had been treated during negotiations over the Rwanda Bill, which cleared the Commons on Wednesday.

While only 11 of Mr Sunak’s own MPs voted against the legislation at its third reading, 64 had defied him the previous night to back amendments aimed at toughening the Bill.

A Tory rebel source confirmed that “several” backbench MPs have put in letters to Sir Graham Brady, the chairman of the 1922 committee, and cited Downing Street’s refusal to accept the amendments as the final straw.

Mr Sunak would face a vote on his leadership if 52 of his MPs, amounting to 15 per cent of the parliamentary party, submitted such letters.

A senior Conservative MP told The Telegraph they had handed in a no confidence letter after the proposed changes to the Rwanda Bill were rejected.

“This is basically the last shot we’ve got, the absolute last bullet in the gun,” said the MP. “There is minimum evidence that we can pull ourselves out of this tailspin.”.....

:allears:

You can bet that there's a room full of eager backstabbers wanting to do the last 10 months of leadership. I say let them fight

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I'd be eyeing up that prime ministers pension

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Can’t wait for another fascinating round of “how many letters are there”. Never gets dull

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

could probably get an honour for like a grand?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

could probably get an honour for like a grand?

Might help you get someone to sort out the internet installation

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Might help you get someone to sort out the internet installation

Im not sure an MP is going to speed that up.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Beefeater1980 posted:

I had a very educational conversation with a taxi driver today. I learned:
I'm amazed, with how videos go off on socials that there aren't more of these twats getting sacked after videos of their rants get shared on tiktok or twitter.

There again, I suppose most younger people are just using ubers and doing storytime videos about how they got sucked off.

smellmycheese posted:

I know we don’t like reading The Mail here but that article is truly unhinged. She’s gone back to her old tactic of just completely making ludicrous poo poo up.

I can fully believe that story is true, at least where she lives. There are places like that all over Oxforshire, tiny obscenely wealthy little villages with an Enid Blyton fetish. They are profoundly cursed places and the exact target market of the Daily Mail - terrified of everything outside their parochial little bubble and politely bigoted in every conciebable way.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but if you're in that bubble of racist tabloid nonsense also being talked about, the government did Brexit, and the plant closure is because of the green agenda, the WEF, and 'the Asians' (Tata Steel).
You've also got to bear in mind that having this kind of mindset also involves disbelieving things like britain only having two steel manufacturing capabilities as woke nonsense - everybody knows British Steel is the best in the world (because that was approximately correct enough in the 1960s, which is the last time these fuckers had to learn a new fact).

Central to understanding this mindset is also understanding that these are people who have certain understandings about how strong Britain is, and will scream at you if you present them with anything that forces them to think about it in a different way, like the fact that Britain has two steel manufacturing plants and both of them are being sold off.

Failed Imagineer posted:

E: also, bougie as gently caress? I know 99 has a Tesla and lives on a diet of swan necks, but most of the thread is like "I have lived on baked beans for eight years and my only hobby is PS1 games I scavenge from the bins behind Oxfam"
Look at this fancy oval office with a PS1, also them beams ain't for eating.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've also got to bear in mind that having this kind of mindset also involves disbelieving things like britain only having two steel manufacturing capabilities as woke nonsense - everybody knows British Steel is the best in the world (because that was approximately correct enough in the 1960s, which is the last time these fuckers had to learn a new fact).

Central to understanding this mindset is also understanding that these are people who have certain understandings about how strong Britain is, and will scream at you if you present them with anything that forces them to think about it in a different way, like the fact that Britain has two steel manufacturing plants and both of them are being sold off.

Very well put.

See also: "Jerumy Croblyns hates Britain because he wants to make it better [therefore implying that it isn't a utopian sceptred isle right now]".

E: \/ \/ \/

There is definitely an element of that. I find it crops up a lot in the anti-15-minute-city stuff - an insistent pride in grinding, spirit-crushing, exhaust-wreathed commutes in expensive, tedious cars on overcrowded, potholed, badly-designed, under-capacity roads as "ordinary people just Getting On With It and going to work Without Making A Fuss". While cycling, walking, footpaths, tree-lined streets, mixed-density housing etc. is for idle, out-of-touch, wealthy layabouts who Don't Get It.

E2: This sort of poo poo

https://twitter.com/TottenhamConse1/status/1621066006457372674

\/ \/ \/

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 18, 2024

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

The Trashfuture 'It's poo poo here, it's supposed to be poo poo, it's how we like it' has always rung true to me.

The 2019 thing that really sticks out to me is how angry people got it you suggested things could be improved.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

JoylessJester posted:

The Trashfuture 'It's poo poo here, it's supposed to be poo poo, it's how we like it' has always rung true to me.

The 2019 thing that really sticks out to me is how angry people got it you suggested things could be improved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28IyE-4Zi8

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
car owners: poor (£13k+ to buy)

cyclists: rich (£200+ to buy)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff:

quote:

I tell them I’m spooked, walking here. ‘Don’t be spooked,’ one says. ‘Residents are campaigning to get brighter street lights installed.’ So the antique, lovely ones are to be replaced by ugly ones because of something even uglier.

I’d have expected the cars to slow down here to show respect but they sped past, carrying people on their way home from work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

car owners: poor (£13k+ to buy)

cyclists: rich (£200+ to buy)

wish i could find a car that cost less than 13k. but can't be done.