Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
higher item scaling in wt4 whew, took em 3 seasons but we here lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EC posted:

lol, lmao

Honestly the whole 'the damage increases with attack speed' aspect of ball lightning was a bad idea anyway.

Someone discovered a lightning spear build that uses Xfal's and Tal Rasha to gently caress enemies up at a slightly less insane speed, so that'll probably be the next big thing depending on what the seasonal aspects and powers are.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I'm currently level 46 and starting act 3- did a lot of side quests, unlocked most of the renown rewards available to me, found all the world waypoints other than the couple quest locked (and put the game down for a couple of weeks after buying it). If I don't manage to finish acts 3-6 before S3 starts, which is likely as tonight will probably be my last game night before Tuesday, will I have to start from scratch at Act 1 again? Or can I pick up where I left off when my character switches to Eternal?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can pick up where you left off in eternal

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

thunderspanks posted:

I'm currently level 46 and starting act 3- did a lot of side quests, unlocked most of the renown rewards available to me, found all the world waypoints other than the couple quest locked (and put the game down for a couple of weeks after buying it). If I don't manage to finish acts 3-6 before S3 starts, which is likely as tonight will probably be my last game night before Tuesday, will I have to start from scratch at Act 1 again? Or can I pick up where I left off when my character switches to Eternal?

I'm not 100% sure but my guess would be that the eternal realm char keeps the quest progress. Only the seasonal content is removed, otherwise everything should be the same.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly the whole 'the damage increases with attack speed' aspect of ball lightning was a bad idea anyway.

I mean it’s not a bad idea but just tune down the benefit to keep within sane margins.

Or, cap the amount of BLs that can be out at once. Something like that to allow scaling but shackle it at the same time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

What the players really want is to spend 5 minutes slapping around a boss for some mediocre drops.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

What the players really want is to spend 5 minutes slapping around a boss for some mediocre drops.

Diablo is for the weed brain this way.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Vic posted:

Diablo is for the weed brain this way.

More of a buzz kill imo

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
wait they added POE's lab to d4?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i slappa de boss

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hit Man posted:

More of a buzz kill imo

hey you said it

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Was there anything interesting in that stream or no

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
gonna listen while making dinner but i don't see a lot of talk about it anywhere so i'm going to guess no

also i wrapped up the seasonal stuff by doing the HC PvP kills. fun fact, it doesn't tell the person quick-joining your party that they are traveling to a PvP zone and that they will automatically be bloodmarked upon joining the party, at least if you're in the same clan. if you really want the "Sweaty" title, maybe you can use that to your advantage

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Got Tibault's Will so now I'm a huge glass cannon.

Echo of Lilith is such an obnoxious fight. I legitimately have no idea what phase 2 is because Everytime I high roll to get there I die to something that hasn't appeared yet

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Campfire highlights

"season 3 is the biggest season yet"
-vaults, arcane tremors (maybe a bloodtide type overworld activity?), gauntlets w/ leaderboards

inspiration for constructs comes from lore re: mage clans; lots of going back to older lore
-still landed on using Zultan Kulle though for nostalgia i guess?
-uber maplhus won't be coming until later in the season, no ETA yet given

gatehall is the new "seasonal town"
-waypoint, all vendors, easy access to new seasonal content

senechal construct is the totality of the power chase this season
-can slot 2 abilities w/3 modifiers each into the construct; 12 base abilities to choose between
-new UI for construct, but seems similar to the D3 skill modifier system
-stones to gain skills come from drops or by burning crafting mats
-power up the abilities with duplicate stones, similar to powering up S2 blood powers i guess?
-scales 1:1 with all your secondary stats (necro minions, for example, only get 30% of some of your stats)

Vaults
-they've described a lot of the traps as things that do damage, or add mobs, but no mention of traps that cause loss of control
-"vault objectives are vague a little bit on purpose" (less like "kill all enemies" and more like ??? get to "death room" at end of vaults that has high density of traps?)
-chests/rewards have been "souped up" compared to all other chests

warding sub activity in vaults
-needs pearls which are a drop from overworld activities (maybe like potent blood?)
- 1 pearl gives 3 stacks of buff, each failure to avoid a trap removed a stack, can use more than one pearl per run
- need ??? stacks of buff remaining to get a bonus chest, but will always get the default one

arcane tremors seems exactly like blood harvest
-gather x doodad, insert them into a brazier, and a bunch more mobs come out. same as depositing the blood in center of blood tide

vaults have NMD versions
- uses the same sigil system
-can target farm NMD vault sigils in some way, less/no random chance as with current NMD system

"boss ladder" staying in place (farm mats to summon boss who drops mats to summon ubers)
-new seasonal uber boss exists but is not part of this ladder

Gauntlet info
-WT4 only, fixed seed, non linear layout, gather "proofs of might" and make good decisions (???) and go fast to get a high score
-mobs are level 124
-killing some mob types (bosses?) spawn shrines of new types (eg: respawn monsters)
-seems really similar to the rogue like thing from the start of WoW Shadowlands
-can be done in parties
-ladders broken up by class, party size, HC/SC, platform
-cosmetics and "seals" as rewards side from being on leaderboard

battlepass changes
-pvp objectives not popular, getting modified, ripping out the "become hatreds chosen" entirely (probably, not explicitly named)
-better rewards for later tiers of season journey ("some 925 ancestral legendaries")
-no longer need to complete season journey tiers to do seasonal quests
-will reward some emblems (graphic on your player card i guess?)

Balance Stuff

patch notes 1/19

Barb:
big changes to charge, still trying to tamp down on multi shout setup, still trying to make other key passives useful

Sorc:
vuln application through lightning spear
paragon board buffs (probably fixes of longstanding bugs)
meteor, hydra buffs

Rogue:
ranged build buffs, uniques also buffed, also caltrops

Druid:
improving spirit boons, lightning storm, rabies

Necro:
golem buffs, QoL buffs, bone spirit buffs

all the obvious overpowered bugged abilities are being fixed, because of course they should be

2x class balance updates per season. one at start, one mid-season.
-bigger at season start, always new stuff for each class (uniques, aspects).
-smaller update mid season. shooting for never nerfing build defining stuff mid season (see as an example, selig). adding fan-favorite things (eg rings w/S1 malignant heart effects)

QoL
Helltides basically always active
WASD controls
Respec mode for skill trees
Higher item scaling in WT4 (more stuff closer to 925 ilvl from more activities)
more Beast in Ice summoning items (who even does this guy??)

More ways to pay Twitch Streamers to get mount skins

Some softball Q&A questions. not many answers or commitments.
-looking at minion builds more in the future
-uber uniques still only from duriel, but there are some construct uniques in the seasonal uber stuff
-snapshotting getting changed (probably nerfed) in maybe mid season?
-They did get Kulle voice actor back to do some lore reading, but no direct encounters
-NMD Vaults might also be giving glyph XP?
-Big itemization changes still planned for S4, don't expect any big changes sooner
-looking into group finder implementation/improvement
-upping drop rate of mats to get to uber duriel? or something to make it easier to do more runs
-no FoV updates planned
-codex update is planned, no ETA

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zultan Kulle did nothing wrong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
He was right! We always gently caress everything up!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

quote:

"boss ladder" staying in place (farm mats to summon boss who drops mats to summon ubers)

This is so incredibly boring I hope they don't..

quote:

-uber uniques still only from duriel, but there are some construct uniques in the seasonal uber stuff

Wow this loving game

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

MJBuddy posted:

Got Tibault's Will so now I'm a huge glass cannon.

Echo of Lilith is such an obnoxious fight. I legitimately have no idea what phase 2 is because Everytime I high roll to get there I die to something that hasn't appeared yet

it's unfortunate P2 comes second because there is a lot of stuff you can do to control the flow of the fight w/ placement of the pustules and their interaction with map destruction and the like. it's a lot more readable than P1. but with damage being what it is, you can get yourself into a situation where effects start going off before the visuals pop in. preseason HC kills are probably the best thing to watch if you want to see how to manage the fight when it used to be balanced

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Hit Man posted:

This is so incredibly boring I hope they don't..

Wow this loving game

the only upside i can see is that maybe the drop rate buffs they talked about for boss mats more or less means you can chain run duriel. not great but still an improvement

it could also just mean that it's easier to get living steel because helltide is now always active. gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see for sure i guess

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

EC posted:

lol, lmao

I did overpower necro and overpower Druid and they were fun lol

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

harrygomm posted:

the only upside i can see is that maybe the drop rate buffs they talked about for boss mats more or less means you can chain run duriel. not great but still an improvement

it could also just mean that it's easier to get living steel because helltide is now always active. gonna have to wait until tomorrow to see for sure i guess

That's not an upside at all. Just because helltides spawn all the time (wow thank you) still means you have to grind for mats, unlike season 2 where you could buy cheap duped boss mats. Skipping the grind is 99.9% gone now.

So after all the gathering you have to kill 2 bosses whose drops are mostly worthless except for the ring, which you'll have a good one in no time but you're still stuck killing this guy for the hearts

Now with that said I have no idea what you mean by "chain run duriel" because the bullshit, long, unfun hoops they make go through to get to Duriel still exist?

Then Duriel himself is loving awful. A massive 2% drop rate of like a 1 in 5 uber (with 1 being what you really need) is 100% what they want you to do because there is no end game, just this. Now in season 3 you can't skip the grind to roll the dice, no no no, no chain running here mister. Just a nice long and boring process to farm the best gear from this AAA arpg Diablo 4. You're welcome

Hit Man fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 19, 2024

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Mustached Demon posted:

Zultan Kulle did nothing wrong.

Is our snarky friend actually still around? I mean, he is technically a golem-type robot immortal

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

harrygomm posted:

Necro:
golem buffs, QoL buffs, bone spirit buffs

Unless they're making the golem like at least 10 times better, this seems like such a gently caress you. Just delete the minions and the whole class while you're at it, such a wasted opportunity.

No, I am not salty about dark bonestorm being the only comparable to other classes thank you

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I am dead serious about this: if d4 had released with powerful minion builds the game would've had a flat 2.0 higher user rating

like how tf do you target a game at casual gamer dads and not have the most casual gamer dad build be any good. that and turning the density way down were d4's two biggest own goals

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Hit Man posted:

That's not an upside at all. Just because helltides spawn all the time (wow thank you) still means you have to grind for mats, unlike season 2 where you could buy cheap duped boss mats. Skipping the grind is 99.9% gone now.

So after all the gathering you have to kill 2 bosses whose drops are mostly worthless except for the ring, which you'll have a good one in no time but you're still stuck killing this guy for the hearts

Now with that said I have no idea what you mean by "chain run duriel" because the bullshit, long, unfun hoops they make go through to get to Duriel still exist?

Then Duriel himself is loving awful. A massive 2% drop rate of like a 1 in 5 uber (with 1 being what you really need) is 100% what they want you to do because there is no end game, just this. Now in season 3 you can't skip the grind to roll the dice, no no no, no chain running here mister. Just a nice long and boring process to farm the best gear from this AAA arpg Diablo 4. You're welcome

i see less time spent engaging with precursor farming compared to time spent duriel farming to be an overall QoL increase.

the average person is not buying mats or runs and spends most of their uber unique chase time farming the precursors necessary to spawn duriel. i personally spent around 35 total hours on precursors so i could spend about 30 minutes on my 25 attempts at duriel

by increasing the drop rate, they could potentially mean something like "grigore always drops a heart" or even "grigore now always drops 500 hearts". if grigore always dropped 500 hearts, you would spend very little uber unique chase time doing precursor activities compared to the time spent killing duriel, which i think most people find to be the most rewarding part of the "boss ladder"

however their ambiguity could also mean that since helltide is now always active, you have an effectively increased ability to get living steel. an "increased" drop rate.

since we don't know the specifics, we'll have to wait for clarity in the patch notes tomorrow

chain running duriel in this context would mean spending more of your uber unique farming time killing duriel instead of engaging with the precursors. a QoL change could change the balance of time in one activity vs. another. i'm not sure where chain run comes from specifically, but it would mean running duriel back to back exclusively

i'm not sure what the rest of what you're saying has to do with anything. i don't think the system as it stands now is good, i don't think anyone would. i think if you trivialize the worst aspects of it (precursor mat farming, imo) you have effectively turned it into the same farming that exists in Diablo 2, which i enjoy

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

Is our snarky friend actually still around? I mean, he is technically a golem-type robot immortal

they said that he remains dead, we're just playing around in some vaults he helped build and then abandon

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Somebody made a big effort post about how hosed minions are and it's just ... HOW

Minion necro posted:

Reapers do not spawn corpses as intended

Bone mages do not provide worthwhile fortify giving only base while necrotic carapace gives maximum

Shadow mages do not proc shadowblight

Skirmishers still do the same damage as others despite stated 30% increase

Defenders and Bone golem are still bugged and sometimes do not get the benefit of minions inherit thorns.

Spiked armor still only gives 30% of its value to minions and scales with level not weapon damage as stated (2388 at level 100).

Iron maiden is flagged as thorns, can't crit, and doesn't multiply

Minion attack speed caps at 100% :psyduck:

Minions do not have a keystone thanks to attack speed being capped at 100% and they do not count as blood, bone, or darkness, skills. You fundamentally do not have a way to synergize or scale them. :psyduck:

Army of the Dead's Unyielding Commander aspect is completely wasted thanks to the attack speed cap

Mastery does not benefit from +skills

Much much more in the post

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Herstory Begins Now posted:

wait they added POE's lab to d4?

And a pet with two four-links

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am dead serious about this: if d4 had released with powerful minion builds the game would've had a flat 2.0 higher user rating

like how tf do you target a game at casual gamer dads and not have the most casual gamer dad build be any good. that and turning the density way down were d4's two biggest own goals

During open beta someone farmed all weekend for the best gear they could get on a necro and then posted a video to YouTube of them stood on an event spawn. Their minions solo'd the thing every time it spawned. Events are basically meaningless in the broader context of the game and this was happening at level 25 lol, but it made people on Reddit mad so by the next open beta, skeletons had so little HP that they died to every AOE effect in the game

Since then they've been very very slowly turning the power back up, including making an ability baseline that caps the amount of damage they take per hit at 30% life, but you still have no control over where they stand and any ground-based degen just melts them. Combine this with the need for one corpse per summon and no equivalent to PoE's Desecrate skill and minions are just a liability in boss fights until you have multiple uniques and paragon points to support them

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Don't blame reddit for lovely devs lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tarnop posted:

And a pet with two four-links

During open beta someone farmed all weekend for the best gear they could get on a necro and then posted a video to YouTube of them stood on an event spawn. Their minions solo'd the thing every time it spawned. Events are basically meaningless in the broader context of the game and this was happening at level 25 lol, but it made people on Reddit mad so by the next open beta, skeletons had so little HP that they died to every AOE effect in the game

Since then they've been very very slowly turning the power back up, including making an ability baseline that caps the amount of damage they take per hit at 30% life, but you still have no control over where they stand and any ground-based degen just melts them. Combine this with the need for one corpse per summon and no equivalent to PoE's Desecrate skill and minions are just a liability in boss fights until you have multiple uniques and paragon points to support them

Yeah that was the moment where I knew the launch was going to be needlessly rocky (beyond the whole obvious lack of endgame and boring items stuff, but to a certain extent those things aren't immediately relevant to the launch of the game). That and the moment in I think it was one of the closed alphas where they turned density way down. I'll never argue that strong minions or almost oppressive monster density is necessarily great design, but by god it is what people enjoy. Hell the minions don't even have to be strong, they just have to be good enough to get people through the game without too hard of a time... then in endgame their shortcomings eventually make people reroll into a build that actually excels at something. Practically, minion builds are pretty much the onramp into arpgs because they reduce the total amount of stuff you have to do and manage at once.

Tbh a bunch of the balance changes that resulted from the open beta weekends seemed really questionable because it appeared to impact endgame viability of several mechanically fun skills just because they were strong in the earliest part of the game. That was a particularly weird choice when the damage bugs that were letting builds do nearly infinite damage went unaddressed for months after release despite being known since well before the game launched. I will never understand how blizzard chooses to balance stuff.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

flashman posted:

Don't blame reddit for lovely devs lol

I'll blame reddit for whatever I want, pal

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does POE have controller support? Would be really cool to play on the handheld PCs

That’s how I played Diablo 3 (switch) and currently 4 (ally rog)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Somebody made a big effort post about how hosed minions are and it's just ... HOW

Hmm maybe I won’t go all in on minions lol

Hopefully spider bro isn’t this hosed.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol if you thought they weren't going to nerf ball lightning.

The game is a ways away from having true build variety either way, but every world boss group being half ball sorcerers and half one punch man barbs is really feelsbad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The game isn't mature or interesting enough to reduce the amount of bullshit. Instead Team D4 should be adding more bullshit. Unfortunately they all come from WoW so they think "keeping damage numbers in line" so that nobody exceeds 6.9% of estimated raid efficiency is an actual priority for an ARPG.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah I think at minimum you want all skill trees/obvious build choices have an actual endgame path, and for seasonal stuff to become permanent addons to the game as much as possible instead of gimmicks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Minion builds are top tier in PoE so I don't wanna hear that all ARPGs have issues with them

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blizzard handles balance changes like I handle individual project work. "Don't talk to me about Necros, this quarter is Rogue quarter"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah I basically agree with all of this. A casual ARPG should absolutely be balanced such that you feel powerful in early game and with the combination of uniques, rare aspects and paragons they can let skills fall away or scale them up to endgame viability as they choose. The game launched 7 months ago and the first 30 to 40 levels are still a complete mess in terms of balance and fun. Druid levelling is miserable unless you get lucky with aspects, blood nova necromancer pulls half a dungeon and AOEs it down in seconds using a single aspect from a dungeon in the starter zone. The campaign is cool, but mechanically the classes are all over the place for the duration