Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
It's ironic and sad the Ancient most associated with death and the transition between lives is so traumatized he can no longer accept it, because he's so haunted by the Final Days that he can only see it as a dissolution and not a transition.

It reinforces the idea imo that you're less dealing with a living man than the ghost of him, and it adds a really sweet note that he finally accepts death with grace and hope in Ultima Thule. He can see the truths of his culture's spirituality again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Punching my way through 5 patches worth of simultaneous blue quest mark introductions and going back briefly to 6.0 chat:

I was thinking about this earlier but this really sold it for me and got my thoughts together. Jammingway just introduced the concept of Ultima Thule being accessible without incredible resource cost in that "the MMO devs want you to freely go here and not think about it as a plot hole" writing. Of course, Ultimate Thule is a place powered primarily by dynamis, which is carte blanche to justify emotions as systems of creation, physics, reality warping and so on.

To repeat myself, I think of all the people who could survive his situation Zenos is the most believable as showing up later and grunting out that he wanted to leave so he willed himself out. No further explanation needed. He just got up and made his armor walking noise in a direction until his intense desire to be my insane friend manifested in the unknowable element of magic weaved into the fabric of the universe. :3:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

W.T. Fits posted:

I still give points to Past Lahabrea for having enough self-awareness that when told (or forced to deduce) that his eventual fate was to be reduced to a cackling madman playing at being a supervillain in service to trying to restore the star, instead of reacting with horror and disgust like Emet-Selch did, his response was to think for a moment, then nod and go, "Yeah, that tracks, I can absolutely see that happening to me if I felt it was necessary."

No angst or handwringing, just a resigned, "Welp, it is what it is. Anyway, back to the business at hand..."

God that was so good.

The Pandaemonium questline was fantastic imo.

Shame about the 24man questline.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah, it's really important that to Emet he's still on his Save The World plot in his own head. If he'd finished it within a mortal lifetime it wouldn't have even been that outside of what a standard JRPG hero did.

ehhh...if the game is FFTA or bravely default, maybe.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah, it's really important that to Emet he's still on his Save The World plot in his own head. If he'd finished it within a mortal lifetime it wouldn't have even been that outside of what a standard JRPG hero did. "Put someone back together mentally/emotionally" isn't that unusual a fantasy beat, and it wasn't unusual in his culture to literally see and track souls between incarnations. It's just that from the mortal perspective that's alien and monstrous.

Of course one could argue that this is a sign of his fundamentally unenlightened perspective, that he is unable to see that his friends' new incarnations are just as valid as their past ones in the golden time now lost. Compare with Venat's monologue in Flow where she explicitly both accepts change and takes comfort in continuity. Emet is trapped in a prison of desperate attachment and he just needs to let go a little.

Emet Selch is a boomer. :colbert:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Emet isn't bad because he's evil and people want to gently caress him or whatever.

Emet is bad because he's an underwhelming and overcooked retread of the same themes Nidhogg already addresses :colbert:

(okay I don't actually believe this but I'm entertaining myself by imagining this guy)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Valentin posted:

Emet isn't bad because he's evil and people want to gently caress him or whatever.

Emet is bad because he's an underwhelming and overcooked retread of the same themes Nidhogg already addresses :colbert:

(okay I don't actually believe this but I'm entertaining myself by imagining this guy)
well I'm glad someone is being entertained

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More like midhogg

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

emet-sadge

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

goblin week posted:

I just got to Shadowbringers (the quest) and loving lmao that's the sob story for the guy everyone's been jizzing about?????????

People think Emet is a compelling character because his motive reveal reinforces the theme of Shadowbringer's MSQ up to that point and highlights the parallels between him and both G'raha and Ardbert. This is also why it's very satisfying seeing them be instrumental in bringing him down. Every single one of his scenes undercuts his own claims about not seeing value in the lives of the sundered and that's intentional; he's got a sympathetic motivation and he's so far down multiple genocides worth of sunk costs in trying to achieve it that he's in full on denial about the crimes he's committed. When you prove to him that the sundered are capable of inheriting the world, by force, everything crashes down and with both grace and quiet dignity he admits you were right, only asking for a small concession to the world lost in the process of making yours.

He's popular because he's a good villain, arguably the best one in the entire Final Fantasy franchise. That there's also people thirsty for him is just a thing that happens to sufficiently charismatic characters.

And then patch content onwards expands on this, and more.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I'm always impressed with ppl debating major plot points from ShB and here I am I have no memory of EW at all and it was in the last 2 years since launch :v:

Also, looking at the QoL doc makes me wonder if anyone cares enough about cosmetic mods in ffxiv too? It's a deep rabbit hole but I love how it adds a lot of missing customization in-game for me.

Alder fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 18, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Alder posted:

I'm always impressed with ppl debating major plot points from ShB and here I am I have no memory of EW at all and it was in the last 2 years since launch :v:

Also, looking at the QoL doc makes me wonder if anyone cares enough about cosmetic mods in ffxiv too? It's a deep rabbit hole but I love how it adds a lot of missing customization in-game for me.

I'm unlikely to use them directly because I can't kill the cop (Yoshi-P) inside my head but I would love an enthusiastic write-up about them myself! Really cool and interesting to read.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

On a topic other than the ratman -

A friend and I were chatting about the club scene and clothing mods yesterday. Between FFXIV and vrchat, it's probably done some pretty significant damage to legacy places like IMVU and Second Life, right?

It's amusing look at some twitter and instagram profiles people make for their FFXIV characters. With a good percentage of those, you could tell me it was from an IMVU2 or SL2 and I would believe you.

I'm not saying this to be disparaging in any way.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm curious what's the thread opinion or even rule for talking about and sharing mod content?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Jail time.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think you should use as many plugins as you want if it makes the game feel better for you, as long as you understand that that poo poo's gonna be broken for a day or more after every major patch and especially after an expansion launch.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
install every plugin

just go down the entire list and click install on every last one of those suckers

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have no problem with using plugins as long as you understand they are not the baseline experience and can't be viewed as a solution to in-game problems because people play on console and can't mod. (Also don't be an rear end in a top hat who plays modded and then complains about things being too easy because you have a 1 button autocombo and AoE indicator or whatever.)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't mod games (unless they're literally unplayable without it, Bethesda) just because I get too dependent on things that stop working when it inevitably breaks

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Use cosmetic mods but also like how you look vanilla, can't lose.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I don't mod games (unless they're literally unplayable without it, Bethesda) just because I get too dependent on things that stop working when it inevitably breaks

Honestly this is a big thing for me. The whole "Do not become addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence" thing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

this specifically is why I limit my usage to utilities like the countdown timer, or toys like orchestrion and ogt. I know I'm a creature of habit so if I start using something that modifies gameplay it's gonna hit me hard when it's gone.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I only use Simple Tweaks, and really only for the tiny QoL stuff like "show your desynth levels inline next to item desynth level in the item box" and "display how many options out of the pool you already have for GC lootboxes." Contemplating getting Orchestrion because I never learn the name of in-game tracks and am lost when people discuss music or new orch rolls go on sale, so maybe that would help?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Alder posted:

I would like an explanation just because I don’t understand the body replacement system (and also why it is so hard to find cosmetic mods for default bodies)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

it's fun to like fictional villains because they are in fact fictional and going all "the character does bad things but... you like them?! mentally ill!" is some hays code poo poo

you also literally kill emet-selch in a clash of ideals and i've yet to see a fan of him object to that because they wanted to join him and kill all the rest of the cast

Also I just read this post and I would enjoy the hell out of it if they did another non-canon Bad End fight at some point. It doesn't even have to be from any story we've seen yet. I bet anything the 7.1 Ultimate is gonna have some real knife-twisting in it lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Doomykins posted:

I'm curious what's the thread opinion or even rule for talking about and sharing mod content?

Bailiff, smack his nuts

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
FFXIV modding has led to some spirited debate in these threads but I'd just treat it like Square-Enix does - don't discuss them in-game, don't use them to cheat (as in giving yourself combat capabilities beyond the average player), and certainly don't use them to harass other players.

If you wanna add the name of the currently playing track to the HUD, make speech bubbles pop up over players using /say, use Gatherbuddy to keep track of your fish bite timers, give your viera hats, check market board prices through Universalis, or whatever other client-side experience enhancements you feel like, be my guest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think it's funny when people post their freakish WoL models that they somehow think are sexy on twitter so i highly encourage using mods

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Bailiff, smack his nuts

Begging Yoshi-P for mercy as a thousand Moogles dressed as keystone kops flood into my house.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Red Metal posted:

install every plugin

just go down the entire list and click install on every last one of those suckers

I'm not going all the way down the list. Paid money bots is a bit too much for me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Countblanc posted:

i think it's funny when people post their freakish WoL models that they somehow think are sexy on twitter so i highly encourage using mods

Yeah, I gotta say, I respect people making their visions real and whatnot, but every fem Au Ra model replacement I've ever seen is somewhere between "eh, doesn't look great" and "aUGH"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You know they got it good when FFXIV modders make Skyrim moddes on the nexus look realistic.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

peeled aura are a cultural institution

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

smooth au ra are cursed as poo poo

e:^^ lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Dishonor to smooth Au Ra, praise to looking like more of a lizard monster.

Godzilla tails and stuff, hell yeah.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Countblanc posted:

oh yeah all the body mods people post on the twitters look horrific

It's funny to see people walking around with very mismatched outfits, specific pieces that are certainly modded but they look ridiculous when you just see the vanilla pieces. And the players who are head to toe Emperor's New gear, who you know are 100% naked on their screen

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

I would like an explanation just because I don’t understand the body replacement system (and also why it is so hard to find cosmetic mods for default bodies)

Whenever we equip a new gear like a top the entire torso of our character is swapped so you would need to manually re-size each gear piece for the new body sizes hence the creation of new body replacement mods there are millions of them for female bodies and just a few for men.

The body replacement mods have better hands and feet too.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Cleared the first Alliance Raid of Stormblood. Despite the fact that I died three times (with the third death due to immediately being thrown in the final fight of the raid because I was watching the intro cutscene of it), barely understood what I was doing due to the numerous sfx effects obscuring my view, wiping on the first boss of the raid (though it was thankfull the only wipe) and difficulty understand the differences between Gallows and Gibbet since I was running as a Reaper, I think I did pretty good for my first attempt at it.

Might probably switch to Summoner for the future raids though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

Dishonor to smooth Au Ra, praise to looking like more of a lizard monster.

Godzilla tails and stuff, hell yeah.

Let me play as a Bangaa