Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

The fall of the USSR to I would say about 2011 or so is a period in world history when almost everybody thought the US had Done It and just wanted to sign the paperwork, get their american flag hat, and get on with life. Even the Taliban tried to surrender and reach terms.

Unfortunately the western elite are fully, totally high on their own supply and got so coke brained during that time that eventually they thought their own propaganda about spreading freedom around was true even while they were bombing weddings and stopped doing the kind of realpolitik you need to run an empire.

You could put the end of that short period at the Russo-Georgian war in 2008 but I said 2011 because I think when the US started drone striking its own citizens overseas is when you could tell something was really hosed because a) the soft power required to just get the local suzerain to arrest the malcontents you don't like has failed and b) you don't even have the kind of access physically to the target for a surgical hit so you are forced to fall back on less precise methods of assassination.

Now the tail is fully wagging the dog and the pitbull vassal states like Israel are starting to look at their decrepit elderly hegemon and wondering what he tastes like.

Moving this here. I'm not sure I'd say the US cultural hegemony is gone, really. They still seem to have the ability to get most of the world to shoot an entire AK magazine into their own feet to be on the Freedom side. If it was just Europe that'd be one thing, but we have Argentine and Taiwan going full NED brain too and Gradenko's Philipine posts aren't exactly hopeful either. Seems WW3 is going to be Democratic Centralism, backed by most of the world's productive forces vs. vibes. And looking at covid I wouldn't count out vibes just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrunkleStalin
Aug 13, 2021
If you’re going to drop the $$$ Red Wings, save up a bit more and get pair of custom boots from White’s boots out of Spokane. It’ll take awhile for them to be ready but 100% worth it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

genericnick posted:

Moving this here. I'm not sure I'd say the US cultural hegemony is gone, really. They still seem to have the ability to get most of the world to shoot an entire AK magazine into their own feet to be on the Freedom side. If it was just Europe that'd be one thing, but we have Argentine and Taiwan going full NED brain too and Gradenko's Philipine posts aren't exactly hopeful either. Seems WW3 is going to be Democratic Centralism, backed by most of the world's productive forces vs. vibes. And looking at covid I wouldn't count out vibes just yet.

I do sort of feel that the reliably supply of rock and roll, Levis and bananas is imperilled though.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

genericnick posted:

Well like all good internally self-destructing hegemonizing empires, Team Vibes isn't sinking into irrelevance without a massive body count

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Yeah, but vibes are contrary to what you need to actually prevail in this sort of struggle.

By way of example, the through line in Spain's decline throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, when there appears to be no reason why Spain should have suffered as badly as they did in the War of Spanish Succession, Seven Years War, Napoleonic Wars etc. is that Spain did not have a strong, centrally administered state. Whenever one of these major wars happened, Spain had global commitments, but could not harness productive forces in any meaningful sense, let alone direct them on a global scale. The state was far too weak, and while the hidalgos and priests could keep Spanish society going in the face of catastrophic defeats, a durable society is not the same thing as a powerful state. The durability existed on a local level, and so Spain eventually shrank back to Iberia, where even now, local autonomy limits the Spanish state. Everything else was broken off.

It's a really interesting case, and I wish I had more to say about it, but the Spanish empire was fabulously wealthy, but that money was never effectively directed because of the lack of centralization and administration. It was just a money hose directed at the upper echelons of an essentially feudal society.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You can kill a lot of civilians without winning

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

genericnick posted:

The US cultural dominance will likely stay a good while after the end of the unipolar world order, see UK culturally overachieved for a few more decades after the Suez crisis. And Europe has their own prestige tie to the rise and fall of the US empire at a very root level, they are not going to split and go their own ways.

But the countries outside of the Christianity civilization zone, alot of them are doing it for optics, because the US liberals care a lot more about optics than their competitors. I am not saying the like of South Korea and Taiwan are not cheering for the US, but they have less investment in the American empire hegemon than the Europeans. Taiwan population already chose a very meddling result in their latest election. A quarter of the voters (mostly young people) basically throw their vote away, chose a third party candidate instead of siding with the pro-US or pro-status quote party.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Say what you want about dementia: disinhibition leads to refreshing honesty.

https://x.com/nathantankus/status/1748048086016938150?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

arent there people who are supposed to stop him from saying this out loud

or drugs they can give him

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Biden is caught in a negative feedback loop. He's too senile to remember the right things to say, or that he has to say them, to obtain his andrenochrome rations.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Halloween Jack posted:

Biden is caught in a negative feedback loop. He's too senile to remember the right things to say, or that he has to say them, to obtain his andrenochrome rations.

"What do you mean we're not winning. I pressed the bombs button. That means we won."

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I've noticed all the pictures coming from the Red Sea are of F/A-18s launching, no F-35s. Are they just not using them or are they using them and not depicting them in the media?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

skooma512 posted:

I've noticed all the pictures coming from the Red Sea are of F/A-18s launching, no F-35s. Are they just not using them or are they using them and not depicting them in the media?

Aren't they still all grounded cause the Marines had an oopsy?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Sancho Banana posted:

"What do you mean we're not winning. I pressed the bombs button. That means we won."

The goal of liberals is to smugly watch people die. It affirms their position at the top of hierarchy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

KomradeX posted:

Aren't they still all grounded cause the Marines had an oopsy?

The F-35C has a pretty abysmal readiness rating, they may be not ready for combat operations. It also means Carl Vinson is down to 3 squadrons basically.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ardennes posted:

The F-35C has a pretty abysmal readiness rating, they may be not ready for combat operations. It also means Carl Vinson is down to 3 squadrons basically.

Fresh out of the factory and already hanger queens.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Bar Crow posted:

The goal of liberals is to smugly watch people die. It affirms their position at the top of hierarchy.

Really hard to overstate the importance of smugness.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really enjoyed a couple articles on the topic by Emmett Rensin; too bad he turned out to be a sex pest.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

GrunkleStalin posted:

If you’re going to drop the $$$ Red Wings, save up a bit more and get pair of custom boots from White’s boots out of Spokane. It’ll take awhile for them to be ready but 100% worth it.
Frank's Boots, also out of Spokane, are really good too. (Spokane is legit home to basically the entire remaining US custom boot industry)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

GrunkleStalin posted:

those are like double the cost of redwings. plus they don't look as good.
hello, I'm here for my job... as a fuckin clown!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hatebag posted:

those are like double the cost of redwings. plus they don't look as good.
hello, I'm here for my job... as a fuckin clown!

Imagine not knowing what a logging boot is.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i mean i know what they are. they're the ones that came up when i clicked "logging boot."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The biggest part of their business are wildland firefighters who actually do buy those boots. I’ve got a pair of light boots from Franks that are on their third resole and doing fine. And they look nice.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Really hard to overstate the importance of smugness.

We need a word that combines soy and smug. Even German doesn't have one for it afaik.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

smoyg

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

We need a word that combines soy and smug. Even German doesn't have one for it afaik.

We already have one, Liberal

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KomradeX posted:

We already have one, Liberal

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DancingShade posted:

Imagine not knowing what a logging boot is.

Logging boots... for a clown! They aren't even class rated! It's just a leather boot with spikes, that won't stop a chainsaw for poo poo.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what will

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
As someone who's ever used a chainsaw, drat near anything will stop a chainsaw.

011824_3
Jan 19, 2024

quote:

“There will not be a shutdown on Friday,” Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, said. “Because both sides have worked together, the government will stay open.”

Credit: Pete Marovich for The New York Times

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Look out USA. Russia has defeated the eyeballs of a b-17 gunner.

https://www.eurasiantimes.com/unique-camouflage-for-su-75-makes-it-impossible-to-identify/

Sukhoi Patents Unique Camouflage For Su-75 Checkmate Fighter That Makes It Impossible To Identify.

Russia has patented a unique paint and camouflage scheme exclusively designed for the under-development Su-75 Checkmate. It allows the aircraft to be indistinguishable from the shape of the clouds and ground above and below it.
Patented please do not steal.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwWQktNlPk

good news grumman figured out how to disarm the navy of its remaining deck guns

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VomitOnLino posted:

Would be more like .... we have this AI enabled, self correcting, trajectory adjusting, anti personnel, anti armor, anti aircraft high explosive shell with a built in lighting charger and drill bit, which will win the war single-handedly.
Alas, it costs 1.700.000 dollars per shot, but hey! Our science indicates you'd need like three of them to win the war**

**terms and conditions apply, simulation may or may not be reflecting on actual material reality

The Oldest Man posted:

lmfao hell yeah

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

57mm that's an interesting and proprietary size. Wait its 2.2 inches? Crosses legs awkwardly, folds hands protectively over groin area.

Micro deck guns. Less threatening, for a progressive and sensitive USN.

edit - a finless guided projectile. Hmm. HMMMM. Something isn't adding up here, other than the price of course.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:59 on Jan 19, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to sell the US army hyper advanced smart bullets for their marksmen rifles. Each will cost 100 times more than usual per individual cartridge but comes with some silicon bits from a genuine Nvidia GPU ground up and embedded in the round. Or in the powder. Wherever we can sprinkle them really.

Will it perform better? I assure you that the 3D renderings will perform excellently.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that Superiority short story by Clarke is burrowing into my brain.

It just needed more explicit grift.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

skooma512 posted:

they're afraid a rogue F-35 will defect to Yemen

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

that thing is practically turning right angles, is that even possible?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DancingShade posted:

57mm that's an interesting and proprietary size. Wait its 2.2 inches? Crosses legs awkwardly, folds hands protectively over groin area.

Micro deck guns. Less threatening, for a progressive and sensitive USN.

edit - a finless guided projectile. Hmm. HMMMM. Something isn't adding up here, other than the price of course.

The price isn't added up either. It's multiplied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Jel Shaker posted:

that thing is practically turning right angles, is that even possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCC_b5WHLX0