Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Our marketing department tried to get me to set our Intranet as the default new tab page. I got out of it by pointing out that setting the new tab page administratively disables any changes by the user, and we had a whole bunch of 5-10+ year key employees whose entire workflow depended on chrome opening the same 10 or so tabs every time it launched. I promised to direct all complaints their way, and then we bargained to the home button going to the intranet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
If you make me have any start page that isn't about:blank I will find you and destroy you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

guppy posted:

If you make me have any start page that isn't about :blank I will find you and destroy you.

Who among us hasn't accidentally pushed a GPO rule setting the start page to meatspin?

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Is there an equivalent of "Don't roll your own crypto" but for security cameras?

So my company moved and we're now sharing a location with another organisation. To get to our own premises we have to pass through them first. This week I came back from my holiday and I set up a small Ubiquiti camera system that covers our premises. Yesterday before I left for the weekend I activated the notifications on the system so it would send mails and push notifications if it detects movements at night. I also sent documentation to my colleagues on how to view the cameras and to set up the mobile app so they can get those notifications.

This morning I woke up to a poo poo ton of notifications detecting movement at 1:30 in the morning. :dogstare: Three guys had broken in and started to burgle the place. gently caress. Time to call everyone, download the footage and head to the office. We spent the whole day cataloguing losses, speaking with the police, and dealing with the fallout. While they did steal a considerable amount (a high-end gaming PC, an old iMac, my toolkit and drill that I brought in for the move and some other stuff), it could have been way way way worse.

Now our neighbor organisation is asking us if I could roll out some more cameras that will cover their premises and the general entries as well. I'm ok with running cables and hanging cameras, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll be too much for me to manage. I'm just a small-time developer/3D artist after all

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Don't go near it, let them know what system you have if they want the same sort of thing and have them find a local installer who will do the bits for them.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Thanks Ants posted:

Don't go near it, let them know what system you have if they want the same sort of thing and have them find a local installer who will do the bits for them.

Well we're a small company of four people and our neighbor is also only a team of three people, with the corresponding budgets of course. But fair enough, there was a lot said today in the heat of emotions, we'll look at it again on Monday when we've had a couple of (restless) nights.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thanks Ants posted:

This is the correct approach. Your own effort to make things a little more secure has paid off though. Only thing I'd advise you to do to improve it is to make sure that nobody can access the cameras from outside your network and the one server in the cloud where you backup video to in case next time the burglars just decide to take all your Ubiquiti kit.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Fragrag posted:

Is there an equivalent of "Don't roll your own crypto" but for security cameras?

So my company moved and we're now sharing a location with another organisation. To get to our own premises we have to pass through them first. This week I came back from my holiday and I set up a small Ubiquiti camera system that covers our premises. Yesterday before I left for the weekend I activated the notifications on the system so it would send mails and push notifications if it detects movements at night. I also sent documentation to my colleagues on how to view the cameras and to set up the mobile app so they can get those notifications.

This morning I woke up to a poo poo ton of notifications detecting movement at 1:30 in the morning. :dogstare: Three guys had broken in and started to burgle the place. gently caress. Time to call everyone, download the footage and head to the office. We spent the whole day cataloguing losses, speaking with the police, and dealing with the fallout. While they did steal a considerable amount (a high-end gaming PC, an old iMac, my toolkit and drill that I brought in for the move and some other stuff), it could have been way way way worse.

Now our neighbor organisation is asking us if I could roll out some more cameras that will cover their premises and the general entries as well. I'm ok with running cables and hanging cameras, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll be too much for me to manage. I'm just a small-time developer/3D artist after all

I do IT stuff for some small businesses and while I'll sometimes touch their camera systems if they need a camera angle adjusted or network access with something on the LAN or something, I generally will defer to a vendor who will provide their employees for install and support. That way I'm less likely to be made to go to court if there's an incident the cameras cover, and I'm not the first point of contact if there's an issue with camera system.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
I come back to work and my direct superior tells me to go ahead and send information on the security camera system, but they'll have to figure out their own poo poo and like hell will we manage that for them. Nice

Fragrag fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 15, 2024

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wow a good manager :monocle:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Whatever company does your fire/burg proximity alarms will be more than happy to run your security cams and probably throw in a package deal. If you're a super small shop renting a very small office then building management probably runs the fire and burglar alarm contracts, so talk to them.
It's really hard to beat central station monitoring for anything.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Wow a good manager :monocle:

I know right. He ain't perfect but he doesn't take poo poo from other people and knows when to set boundaries.

Silly Newbie posted:

Whatever company does your fire/burg proximity alarms will be more than happy to run your security cams and probably throw in a package deal. If you're a super small shop renting a very small office then building management probably runs the fire and burglar alarm contracts, so talk to them.
It's really hard to beat central station monitoring for anything.

In our previous location we did handle our own alarm contracts with central station monitoring. But we're a super small shop renting from another super small shop and now we're pushing them to get their poo poo together. Unfortunately this happened in the middle of our move so there's a lot a grey area with regards to insurance.

Our own camera system was purely because we were deploying a Ubiquiti system and we thought it was worth adding a couple of cameras to it since we could.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

guppy posted:

If you make me have any start page that isn't about :blank I will find you and destroy you.

I noticed most of the non-tech workers at my workplace use Edge by default, and the new tab page is just a giant mess. Weather forecast, recommended bookmarks, and half a page of news articles nobody reads.
I started reading out headlines whenever someone presenting opened it, and it took 3 weeks of annoying presenters like this before someone asked how to disable it. And it's literally three clicks, to Microsoft's credit.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I just got an email that I’m no longer considered a remote employee. This sucks. I take back anything good I’ve said about my current employer

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Reply telling them you look forward to your mileage allowance and billing for commute time.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
That’s what I’ve been doing since they were having me show up every day. I was hired as remote, got a laptop, docking station, two monitors, and a decent color printer. They’ve never actually let me work from home and it seems they want to redefine my position as onsite only so they don’t have to pay for me to come in

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Things pissing me off today: Cisco ISE VMs

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hotel Kpro posted:

That’s what I’ve been doing since they were having me show up every day. I was hired as remote, got a laptop, docking station, two monitors, and a decent color printer. They’ve never actually let me work from home and it seems they want to redefine my position as onsite only so they don’t have to pay for me to come in
Have you got a contract to fall back on or are you in the USA?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
In the US. All I have is the posted description which lists the position as remote

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I noticed most of the non-tech workers at my workplace use Edge by default, and the new tab page is just a giant mess. Weather forecast, recommended bookmarks, and half a page of news articles nobody reads.
I started reading out headlines whenever someone presenting opened it, and it took 3 weeks of annoying presenters like this before someone asked how to disable it. And it's literally three clicks, to Microsoft's credit.

I feel it's only a matter of time before someone tests employment law around a hostile workplace when browser start pages are defaulting to tabloid news which is wall-to-wall transphobia and anti-migrant sentiment

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
Seems like it was an HR decision, my manager says to keep doing what we’re doing and ignore the HR thing. Would have been nice to know when the initial email was sent

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Hotel Kpro posted:

Seems like it was an HR decision, my manager says to keep doing what we’re doing and ignore the HR thing. Would have been nice to know when the initial email was sent

Sometimes managers don't know this poo poo is happening, so they can't get out ahead of it. It sucks though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
HR: <horrible thing that directly impacts quality of life/employment terms/scope of role>

Manager: ignore all that poo poo

Me: :ohdear:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hotel Kpro posted:

If you haven't already, get this in writing to CYA

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Employer: don't ever click on links from strange domains, if you click on a phishing email we're gonna yell at you

Also employer: we're gonna have this company no one has ever heard of send you an email with information how to access your tax information online. no we will not announce this, you have to guess if it's legit

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

New teammate just started and they created a bunch of new columns on our Kanban board that don't make any sense and they didn't discuss it first or really even mention it at all. :allears:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

New teammate just started and they created a bunch of new columns on our Kanban board that don't make any sense and they didn't discuss it first or really even mention it at all. :allears:

Sounds like those will disappear shortly? :eng101:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

More like Can Ban, amirite?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A pox on web services that are Chrome-only. Edge runs on Chromium now, there's no excuse.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

BOOTY-ADE posted:

If you haven't already, get this in writing to CYA

He sent an email thankfully, so I’m good there.

There were definitely some panicky moments there though. I was considering running home, grabbing my remote stuff, coming back and quitting on the spot. I was looking around at jobs and ran across an opening in Sigonella for my old career field and several dozen in France and it was tempting to say gently caress it all and start planning to gtfo. I figured that was an overreaction though

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Please keep us posted I need to know how this one goes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't care enough to make anything of it. My current place is so loving stupid that I just keep my head down.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Only caring enough to try and be good at your job while not giving a poo poo about the rest of the company is the greatest IT skill I've learned in my career.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

drat right. I keep my head down, I do my bits well I think, I am not responsible for making sales so there's nothing I can do if there is no work coming in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Only caring enough to try and be good at your job while not giving a poo poo about the rest of the company is the greatest IT skill I've learned in my career.

This applies outside of IT as well. My side job has clownshow management outside of my department so I just focus on making sure that my department is providing a good service and let the rest of the company be as useless as they want to be.

Although I'm getting kind of tired of Accounts Payable trying to throw me under the bus by claiming I didn't send them invoices because they're too lazy to pay bills within a couple months. I forward the emails from my "sent" folder showing they were sent weeks/months prior but they keep doing it. I'm considering telling them that if this continues to be an ongoing issue I'll just have to call directly to confirm that they've received the email for every invoice I send in.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just start doing that anyway. Sit on the phone and make them refresh their inbox until it shows up. Maybe wait for a few minutes before sending it even, just to gently caress with them.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh they don't answer their phones ever, the plan is to sit watching Youtube videos while redialing until they either figure out how to block my number (they have landlines so good luck boomers) or disconnect their phone. Then make sure to bill 5-10 hours of "trying to get in touch with Finance" on my timesheet so that management gets upset with spending hundreds of dollars because Finance won't pick up the phone.

I told my boss of this plan today and he's fully on board because he's sick of them taking weeks to even open his emails and trying to throw me under the bus for their laziness/incompetence. We've had some of our most important vendors threaten to fire us because finance just sits around with their thumbs up their asses for months on invoices. He has let slip that he'll sometimes use me as the stick to his carrot when trying to get stuff done.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Report back regularly, please :rms:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

He has let slip that he'll sometimes use me as the stick to his carrot when trying to get stuff done.

Put that on your resume. "Will keep finsubs in check"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

I don't care enough to make anything of it. My current place is so loving stupid that I just keep my head down.

So this.

poo poo is so loving pants-on-head stupid nowadays. I’m on the literally 77th version of a document that I’ve been working on since the beginning of November and I poo poo you not, the last 60 versions are for poo poo like “add line numbers” “no, remove line numbers” “add page numbers” “no, remove page numbers” “ten point font” “no eleven point font” “no Ariel” “no courier” “everything should be in the main body” “no, move everything into appendices”

I told my skip level in an all-team meeting a few weeks back that he’s the reason why nothing is getting accomplished anymore because fear of using the wrong version of his template is paralyzing innovation.

He was not amused but I just don’t give a gently caress anymore. Ten years ago this place was the wild frontier and I brought my A game every day to keep up with my peers who were ridiculously loving smart. Now we get blasted for having the wrong cover letter on our TPS reports and the last time I heard a decision made that took our customer best interest to heart was I can’t remember how long ago.

I am debt free, home and cars paid off and have a good chunk of gently caress you money in savings.

The amount of arguing I now do to uphold our duties to our customers in the face of management self-aggrandizement would make ten-years ago Agrikk run in terror from this job. I think a reckoning is coming and I’m not sure how much more of this poo poo I can take before I yell at the wrong person and get myself fired. Problem is, I loving love this role. When left alone to do my job I love my job. I just dont get to do it very much anymore.

/rant