Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

LochNessMonster posted:

Their partner does not work for the same company. We’re in a highly regulated industry, work with a large amount of sensitive and pii data and the role is marked as the highest level of insider our company has.

Giving a colleague access to your laptop is already no bueno, let alone someone who is not even working for the company (let alone screened). There are plenty of ways to describe this but ‘perfectly professional’ is not one of them.

yeah that was definitely not clear from the original post and absolutely changes things! fully agree with you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

In our specific use case its easier and cheaper to give a handful of devs vdis in a locked down silod cloud environment to work on cui stuff rather than build our entire network such that everything can touch cui.

Easier to off load compute and have microsoft gov cloud attest to fedramp and other stuff

This 100%.

Its way easier for us to have hardened VDIs setup for PCI environments or for Fed/Stateramp.

I don't see VDI environments going away any time soon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah we have CUI but we also need huge gently caress off GPU's for the devs applications so on prem VDI with massive Nutanix boxes running Citrix is how we've solved it.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I spent half a day tracking down a rogue cradle point that someone plugged into a PoE port on a core switch because the rack didn't have anymore outlets and the PoE port was tagged to the business network because "that's the vlan that has power".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm in a PI planning meeting and the otherwise very reasonable person running it has put on the "Agile Rhapsody" video.

It's cringe AF, don't watch it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

AI, post better for me

I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to do that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Yeah we have CUI but we also need huge gently caress off GPU's for the devs applications so on prem VDI with massive Nutanix boxes running Citrix is how we've solved it.

Seeing this made me remember having to do ARCGis work in a VDI environment in college, and I could feel instant rage and wanted to smash everything.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Defenestrategy posted:

Seeing this made me remember having to do ARCGis work in a VDI environment in college, and I could feel instant rage and wanted to smash everything.

That's the application we use. ArcMap is moving to ArcPro. I've never used the app before.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

cr0y posted:

I spent half a day tracking down a rogue cradle point that someone plugged into a PoE port on a core switch because the rack didn't have anymore outlets and the PoE port was tagged to the business network because "that's the vlan that has power".

The absolute classic.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GreenNight posted:

That's the application we use. ArcMap is moving to ArcPro. I've never used the app before.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Hit me up if you need a job, we're always looking for Arc experts!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Hit me up if you need a job, we're always looking for Arc experts!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

But for content, I used to have ARCGis on my linkedin resume, because I had training in it, and actually did a bunch of work for a civil engineering company before I found out civil engineering is the pits and I'd rather be in a warm office instead of doing field work if I was gonna be slightly miserable. I don't have it on there anymore because I kept getting recruiters wanting me to do ARCGis work in the rear end end of nowhere for mediocre pay.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

But for content, I used to have ARCGis on my linkedin resume, because I had training in it, and actually did a bunch of work for a civil engineering company before I found out civil engineering is the pits and I'd rather be in a warm office instead of doing field work if I was gonna be slightly miserable. I don't have it on there anymore because I kept getting recruiters wanting me to do ARCGis work in the rear end end of nowhere for mediocre pay.

We're all work from home! And the pay is mediocre from my understanding so there is that.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
gently caress ArcGis.

gently caress Esri.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

gently caress ArcGis.

gently caress Esri.

For the people in the back.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I spent yesterday patching a half dozen different versions of ArcMap on 20 servers. It's good times. Log4j ftw.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'll work doing anything so long as it isn't in person, cops, or troops.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Layoffs. Half our IT team is gone, including our best T2-3 helpdesk tech and the helpdesk manager. Lost an AWS admin, a Engineer Applications guy, and our frontline sec tech.

I survived, only because of my (on-prem) location. Life takes a nosedive. Here's hoping the job market picks up. I get the feeling i'll be on it soon.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

tokenbrownguy posted:

Layoffs. Half our IT team is gone, including our best T2-3 helpdesk tech and the helpdesk manager. Lost an AWS admin, a Engineer Applications guy, and our frontline sec tech.

I survived, only because of my (on-prem) location. Life takes a nosedive. Here's hoping the job market picks up. I get the feeling i'll be on it soon.

Where are you located and what sector? I honestly thought the market had mostly picked back up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone that can is doing layoffs right now. It's the trendy thing to do for some stupid reason.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

xzzy posted:

Everyone that can is doing layoffs right now. It's the trendy thing to do for some stupid reason.

gotta discipline labor somehow. Good luck tokenbrownguy, we tokins gotta stick together

---

My coworker dropped the ball entirely on setting up a new user so I did it, but don't worry, she'll "let me" go into the office to do the thing she was supposed to have done on Tuesday.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
The report I saw was that IT broke even last year for number of jobs cuts and number of jobs added. Not sure how that compares to other industries.
Also said there about 100k open positions and 100k job seekers, but those skills/positions/locations may not align.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

cr0y posted:

Where are you located and what sector? I honestly thought the market had mostly picked back up.

Flyover and Ag-Startup. Can't be more specific, that alone is probably enough to dox me. It's a small industry.

tokin opposition posted:

gotta discipline labor somehow. Good luck tokenbrownguy, we tokins gotta stick together

:respek:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Vendor:

you need to stand up a SFTP server so we can pull <data1> from you.

Also vendor:

You will need up upload <data2> to our STFP server.

Me:

Encryption issues aside, any reason why we can’t just upload data1 and data2 to your SFTP server?

Vendor: … We need to get back to you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cyks posted:

The report I saw was that IT broke even last year for number of jobs cuts and number of jobs added. Not sure how that compares to other industries.
Also said there about 100k open positions and 100k job seekers, but those skills/positions/locations may not align.

Guarantee that the vast majority of open positions are for on site work and also pay like crap. Plenty of companies realize that "We're hiring but don't have anyone yet" is enough to keep employees burning the candle at both ends for a while.

A recruiter that I thought ghosted me over the holidays just got back to me yesterday and I have an interview scheduled, which has me the furthest into the hiring process that I've been since I got laid off on Halloween. Now I need to look back at the job description and everything so I can remember what it is even about.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Cyks posted:

Show us this report.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Layoffs.fyi is showing 1186 tech companies w/ layoffs ∙ 262582 employees laid off, yikes

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I put out some applications last fall. Anecdotal, but every remote job pays well and gets probably five figure applicants. The rest of the listings are for backfill positions in remote Utah or w/e and pay like crap and have mandatory on-prem besides.

If you're a top 1% performer its a great time to go remote. Everybody else (me) better hope you know someone highly placed.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We had an opening for an entry level SOC job at my company that was 100% remote. We got over 5000 applicants for it. HR told us it was the most they'd ever seen for any position.

My team was already 100% remote, but it did really help sell it to higher ups in the company. We got to be WAY more picky of our applicants with that large of a pool. Pay was only starting out at like $75k for this position too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

klosterdev posted:

Layoffs.fyi is showing 1186 tech companies w/ layoffs ∙ 262582 employees laid off, yikes

Are there any explanations for this? My conspiracy minded rear end is this is the final step in killing the WFH drive, get everyone starving and they'll come crawling back to the cubicle farms.

Also getting rid of a bunch of workers saves money for new yacht purchases.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

All of that but also the insane amount of hiring tech companies did during covid

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Turns out that once every company that might need a Zoom license has one, there's not much else you can do to present line goes up slides to the investors

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

COVID-19 accelerated a ton of software development and IT Projects. The work has been done and the bean-counters have a way to make things more efficient. Or they think that.

It's important to note, that we hit bottom last November.

2024 Outlook - Linkedin

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

xzzy posted:

Are there any explanations for this? My conspiracy minded rear end is this is the final step in killing the WFH drive, get everyone starving and they'll come crawling back to the cubicle farms.

Also getting rid of a bunch of workers saves money for new yacht purchases.

Personal experience says T1/T2 support staff is being reduced or outright eliminated and replaced by automation with a light sprinkling of AI tools to "personalize" the experience.

Or they're just making less staff do more. As is the usual since the 1960s.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Several days in at my new job at <Major bank>. I have not been able to do any training or work or even log in from home on my work from home days because I still don't have access to anything. I don't even have an assigned cubicle yet, and no one from my team even works in the same state as me. Basically just being paid to sit in random unused conference rooms and shitpost on my phone.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

I spent yesterday patching a half dozen different versions of ArcMap on 20 servers. It's good times. Log4j ftw.

I supported an off the shelf application that could not handle log4j versions above 1.x

Had a lot of fun proving that all log4j jars were actually patched/replaced by reload4j.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Umbreon posted:

Several days in at my new job at <Major bank>. I have not been able to do any training or work or even log in from home on my work from home days because I still don't have access to anything. I don't even have an assigned cubicle yet, and no one from my team even works in the same state as me. Basically just being paid to sit in random unused conference rooms and shitpost on my phone.

Yeah, sounds about right. poo poo moves slow at banks. Don't expect to do anything productive for at least 60 days. When you do get access I'm going to assume you have 2 or 3 days worth of compliance trainings to take before they even let you touch anything.

Don't worry, it's normal. We don't expect anything out of anyone the first 90 days and figure it takes about a year to get fully up to speed.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Gucci Loafers posted:

Show us this report.

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/08/700_it_jobs_us/

There’s a link to the report but it’s mostly paywalled.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Cyks posted:

https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/08/700_it_jobs_us/

There’s a link to the report but it’s mostly paywalled.

quote:

A mere 700 IT jobs were added in the US last year compared to 267,000 the year prior, it's claimed. It'd be easy to blame layoffs, but that's not all there is to it, says tech consultancy Janco Associates.

Based on analysis of US Bureau of Labor Statistics data by Janco, news that the IT industry added just 700 jobs following an estimated 262,242 jobs lost amid mass layoffs is shocking, but not surprising.

Yet while layoffs have generally kept IT job growth flat for the past year (2023's net 700 comes despite more than 21,000 IT jobs being created in Q4), there's still a surplus of vacant roles, with Janco finding some 88,000 remain open.

"Based on our analysis, the IT job market and opportunities for IT professionals are poor at best," said Janco CEO M Victor Janulaitis. "Currently, there are almost 100K unfilled jobs with over 101K unemployed IT Pros – a skills mismatch."

In other words, while we're definitely dealing with correction from pandemic overhiring, we're also wading into a new paradigm where a lot of tech talent is going to have to retrain because AI is being crammed wherever C-level employees can stick it.
A one-two punch to the IT jobs market

Much of the layoff debt to hit IT jobs have come to entry-level positions, especially those in the customer service telecommunications and hosting automation areas. In turn, some of the responsibilities of those jobs are being reassigned to the latest and greatest AIs, says Janco.

According to thge tech consultancy, entry-level IT demand is shrinking, though demand for those with AI, security, development, and blockchain skills remain desired. "Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning IT Professionals remain in high demand," said Janulaitis.

Still, plans to further replace humans with AI workers at the entry level are hardly far-fetched, with multiple reports finding much the same.

According to Resume Builder, 40 percent of companies plan to replace employees with AI in 2024, with corresponding job cuts in customer support, research, and office support. Unsurprisingly, 96 percent of companies are looking for workers with AI skills, Resume Builder said, to support their automation armies.

It's not clear from Janco's data how 2024 will shake out, and the firm didn't immediately respond to our questions. Nonetheless, the final quarter of 2024 has been nothing but job growth dragged down by the year's poor numbers, and salaries are on the rise as well, said Janulaitis.

"Salaries for management positions with AI skills are in the $150K to $250K range. Experienced managers and developers are getting offers in the $125K to $165K range," the CEO said.

Those caught up by this year's tech layoffs seem to have a simple solution on their hands, as far as Janco's data suggests: Retrain for AI. Problem solved ... until the next big thing comes along. ®

Whoops yep didn't follow the link. Still the first sentence is pretty damning, if true.

Blurb3947 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think this is their report

https://e-janco.com/career/employmentdata.html