Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I want to say War of Realms but also Siege

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Also secret wars 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Well, they were -secret- wars. Can't have them happen right there on the main panels, now, can we?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Angry Salami posted:

Marvel should do a big event that takes place entirely off-panel in a miniseries that doesn't exist.

Unironically that feels like parts of Hickman's Secret Wars. Remember when Namor and T'Challa resolved their massive grievances and differences OFFSCREEN???

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oof, I wasn't expecting that in X-Men today. Poor Synch.

I like that Scott is so chill about everything because he knows Jean will return to save him.

Also I still don't buy Tony and Emma. She's too good for him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I appreciated Spider-Man remembering Sauron wants to turn people into dinosaurs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Codependent Poster posted:

Also I still don't buy Tony and Emma. She's too good for him.

I do, they got a lot of fun chemistry. Tony being on the back foot is part of the charm.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Endless Mike posted:

I appreciated Spider-Man remembering Sauron wants to turn people into dinosaurs

I mean, it would be hard for me to forgot a pterodactyl man who has the power to cure cancer but just wants to turn people into dinosaurs

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I mean, it would be hard for me to forgot a pterodactyl man who has the power to cure cancer but just wants to turn people into dinosaurs

Also it's probably a mnemonic device Spidey can use because his foe Stegron also wanted to do that at some point I think.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I guess I assumed FOHOX/ROPOX was another weekly set of books.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dawgstar posted:

Also it's probably a mnemonic device Spidey can use because his foe Stegron also wanted to do that at some point I think.

They were working together on that project.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Yeah, but your job isn't getting repeatedly hit in the head

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Beerdeer posted:

They were working together on that project.

In their proposed society would stegasaurus people be treated the same as pterodactyl people or would they have the same problems as us?

Edit:

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, but your job isn't getting repeatedly hit in the head

Shows what you know about my job!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
In anticipation of having a lot of travel coming up, I'm trying to put together a big reading list of 90s X-Men. I've read basically nothing between maybe Age of Apocalypse and Morrison, and even the stuff before that I'm pretty spotty on. It's definitely not my goal to read everything, and I plan on dipping in and out of stuff a lot. That being said...

Is any of X-Man worth reading?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The issues where he fucks Maddie or someone who might be Maddie.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I'm kidding those are bad.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Rochallor posted:

Hell no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rochallor posted:

In anticipation of having a lot of travel coming up, I'm trying to put together a big reading list of 90s X-Men. I've read basically nothing between maybe Age of Apocalypse and Morrison, and even the stuff before that I'm pretty spotty on. It's definitely not my goal to read everything, and I plan on dipping in and out of stuff a lot. That being said...

Er, probably? I couldn't tell you *what* but I'm sure there's something in there that's not completely awful?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It lasted for like 50 issues which seems insane now. I remember reading a Spider-Man/X-Man team-up I liked.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I legitimately liked Nate Grey at the time. I've not revisited those issues but I did like it for a while after it started.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Nate was a cool character and the art was pretty good, but very 90s.

Though even back then the Maddie romance was gross and I can't imagine it holds up better these days. I also can't remember any good stories to come out of X-Man.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Air Skwirl posted:

It lasted for like 50 issues which seems insane now. I remember reading a Spider-Man/X-Man team-up I liked.

I remember there was a big issue for Spidey (ASM #425) where an issues long arc with Electro came to a head (he made a new suit for it!)

X-Man showed up and tried shutting down his brain with telepathy. Electro was like "nah, my power is electricity and the brain runs on electricity." And blocked his power. All Nate could do was pretty much "aw snap you're on your own Spidey!"

Even as a middle schooler I thought that was bullshit considering how powerful Nate was portrayed

Edit: issue number

Synesthesian Fetish fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 18, 2024

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It is wild when characters come and go so hard like that. Looks like from 2001 to 2010 he was on ice. I forgot he had a couple appearances in AvX.

https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/character_details.php?page=5&list_type=1&limit=30&order_listing=1&character=6221

I've still gotta read Age of Apocalypse sometime.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah his weird New Mutant appearances where he's dating Dani Moonstar and the AofXMan crossover are really my only exposure to him, I only know of the multiverse incest stuff by reputation.

Air Skwirl posted:

That has to be because anything with an X in the title was selling like hotcakes in the 90s, right? 50 issues is nuts

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rochallor posted:

Yeah his weird New Mutant appearances where he's dating Dani Moonstar and the AofXMan crossover are really my only exposure to him, I only know of the multiverse incest stuff by reputation.

That has to be because anything with an X in the title was selling like hotcakes in the 90s, right? 50 issues is nuts

Yeah, the market could carry sustain middling books for a startling length of time back then.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There’s a line in this week’s Iron Man from Forge that could be a new thread title.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Heavy Metal posted:

I've still gotta read Age of Apocalypse sometime.

It’s a good time. Besides the Alpha and Omega issues you can read as much, or as little, as you want. It’s a bunch of four issue minis that you can read in whatever order.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s a good time. Besides the Alpha and Omega issues you can read as much, or as little, as you want. It’s a bunch of four issue minis that you can read in whatever order.

Generation Next is worth it for the old style Chris Bachalo art where he just went HAM and wasn't quite as stylized as he'd become later which I more than understand why he did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That one was grim. And it was replacing the second arc of Generation X, so most people didn’t even know who these kids were.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I read every loving issue of X-Man and there is no reason to ever pick one up. I get that, much as in pro-wrestling, every X-character is someone's favorite and I'm very happy that Nate Gray brings people joy but I will never understand the appeal of that loving guy. I can see how he would have been appealing back in the day, but two thousand, twenty-four years into the common era? We know better now. I'm also pretty ambivalent about Age of Apocalypse (it's a great concept but the pacing and execution is not very good until almost the end) so that doesn't help his case for me either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

clonecest doesnt do a thing for me

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The initial idea of X-Man was interesting since we basically had like ten years of comics swearing Cable would be one of the most powerful dudes ever if he didn't have to hold off the TK virus. But even in AOA they ran into the wall of what do you have a guy do who can supposedly rewrite reality with his mind when he just has to fight some foot soldier. It was basically the equivalent of a book about a DnD campaign where a level 20 wizard just casts magic missile and like shocking grasp all day long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rick posted:

The initial idea of X-Man was interesting since we basically had like ten years of comics swearing Cable would be one of the most powerful dudes ever if he didn't have to hold off the TK virus. But even in AOA they ran into the wall of what do you have a guy do who can supposedly rewrite reality with his mind when he just has to fight some foot soldier. It was basically the equivalent of a book about a DnD campaign where a level 20 wizard just casts magic missile and like shocking grasp all day long.

Ah, so the Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters!

But really, X-Man would have fit in well in X-Men: Red where it's all omegas doing mutant nukes at each other

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I've always thought it would be a good idea to separate actual reality warpers and people powerful enough to just make reality conform to their will as a means by which to limit people like Nate Grey in a way that doesn't feel artificial. In a system like this, using the kind of power he has to the extent he could would actually damage reality and cause unforseeable issues. If it strains at the bounds of physics, it starts fraying the edges. And that could apply to a wide range of powers, not just the obvious.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/1747745617080926323

Is (legendary) David Hayter correct, was the Magneto helmet thing never in the comics prior to the movies? Has it been mentioned in the comics starting at a certain point?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidBHayter/status/1747745617080926323

Is (legendary) David Hayter correct, was the Magneto helmet thing never in the comics prior to the movies? Has it been mentioned in the comics starting at a certain point?

Yep.

Prior to that the excuse was that Magneto just had the sheer mental fortitude to block out mind reading, as well as his helmet having special circuits that, when interacting with his magnetic powers, would give him some psychic powers.

Juggernaut had, by that point, already been established as having a helmet that protected him until it was knocked off, so they basically shuffled that idea over to Magneto.

I think Magneto's helmet being specifically anti-psychic first showed up in the Ultimate universe.

Recent authors I think have basically forgotten that it wasn't part of mainline Magneto and just gave it to him so that is the way he works now.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yep.

Prior to that the excuse was that Magneto just had the sheer mental fortitude to block out mind reading, as well as his helmet having special circuits that, when interacting with his magnetic powers, would give him some psychic powers.

Juggernaut had, by that point, already been established as having a helmet that protected him until it was knocked off, so they basically shuffled that idea over to Magneto.

I think Magneto's helmet being specifically anti-psychic first showed up in the Ultimate universe.

Recent authors I think have basically forgotten that it wasn't part of mainline Magneto and just gave it to him so that is the way he works now.

I know Morrison used it that way during their New X-Men run, with Quintin Quire using the helmet to disable Xavier's powers.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

Yep.

That is interesting thanks, has the circuits thing been used in say the Claremont run onward? I saw somebody post about that from the 60s, not sure if that's still a thing. How about him using psychic powers in general?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Hold on a second, Solid Snake wrote the first two X-Men movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

That is interesting thanks, has the circuits thing been used in say the Claremont run onward? I saw somebody post about that from the 60s, not sure if that's still a thing. How about him using psychic powers in general?

He had something with it post-Clairmont, I remember something about it coming up shortly before Xavier mindwiped him I think, but I can't say for sure.