Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah if you go through the proper channels you get to try on all the different masks before committing to one.

They make a killing on masks and other accessories. It's just a bit of flexible hose and some plastic with straps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

When I got my cpap I didn't immediately notice an improvement in sleep but once I got used to it, anytime time I slept without it I immediately noticed how bad it was.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Yeah you can buy one in Canada on your own but then I have no idea how you set it up. Mine is controlled by my sleep doctor based on an rx from a sleep study and then adjustments based on my feedback and/or if the machine reports they are needed.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah you can jailbreak some of them

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jailbreaking the breathing machine is some seriously cyberpunk dystopia poo poo

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

gotta keep it off the wifi

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Foo posted:

jailbreaking the breathing machine is some seriously cyberpunk dystopia poo poo

yeah I loving love it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

gotta keep it off the wifi

mine uses cellular automatically

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Most of the models I've seen are self-adjusting. They can be remotely monitored though.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cold on a Cob posted:

hackers can turn your cpap into a bomb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cold on a Cob posted:

yeah you have to open them up to disconnect the modem

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Cat Face Joe posted:

hackers can turn your cpap into a bomb

https://i.imgur.com/rbfKF3G.mp4

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

actual lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i would choke to death if i tried a cpap, i rotate more than 100 times a night

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Then you get one where the hose connects to the top of your head.

Well not to but at. It rotates freely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Carthag Tuek posted:

maybe you wouldn’t feel compelled to if you had a cpap

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

can you just, like, buy an inexpensive cpap to try out? i snore but it's not apnea or anything so insurance won't cover poo poo.

you can buy them yourself but they arent that cheap because they're regulated medical devices. This means the FDA extracts a fee and in exchange lets the device makers self-certify safety.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

can you just, like, buy an inexpensive cpap to try out? i snore but it's not apnea or anything so insurance won't cover poo poo.

did you do a sleep study to confirm it isn't apnea?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

last time i was in the ER, they put me on o2 because i'd fall asleep and my o2 would hit like 70%.

of course im lazy and wreckless so I still haven't set up an appointment

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

outhole surfer posted:

did you do a sleep study to confirm it isn't apnea?

yeah, i did

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

then how would a cpap even help? if your o2 isn't dropping off, how is forcing more air in gonna help

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

oh that's a good point. i guess i thought they would still help with snoring.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

mediaphage posted:

i dont see how that would help with my like physical comfort, like legs and arms and whatnot. lying still sucks imo

anyway, its good that they work for peeps

mystes
May 31, 2006

How do you even snore without sleep apnea though?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

exactly. i used to have to use sheet suspenders i rotated so much lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for a second i though you meant you wore suspenders to bed

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Shaggar posted:

you can buy them yourself but they arent that cheap because they're regulated medical devices. This means the FDA extracts a fee and in exchange lets the device makers self-certify safety.

yeah equipment like that gets put into a huge table of hcpcs codes like E0601 (PAP) and has a hugely inflated price that the government sets as the maximum $ amount that can be billed to medicare when buying one. so of course manufacturers are setting all their prices to that maximum $ amount so they can extract every penny possible out of the public health fund. if you're not buying one through medicare or insurance, then you get to cover that reimbursement yourself. they don't really cost that much to make, but uncle same is willing to pay $$$$, so the sticker price is $$$$

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember a bunch of medical device makers got super mad when health apps started appearing on phones and tablets so they couldn’t charge 5 grand for a simple speaking board anymore. later they got wise and just bought all the companies that make those apps

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

I remember a bunch of medical device makers got super mad when health apps started appearing on phones and tablets so they couldn’t charge 5 grand for a simple speaking board anymore. later they got wise and just bought all the companies that make those apps

When I did IT consulting I worked with a couple OT/Speech Therapy clinics and when those apps started showing up I set up sooo many ipads. It was a huge shift for them and so much better.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

How do you even snore without sleep apnea though?

by having things vibrate without a puny weak airway

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

yeah equipment like that gets put into a huge table of hcpcs codes like E0601 (PAP) and has a hugely inflated price that the government sets as the maximum $ amount that can be billed to medicare when buying one. so of course manufacturers are setting all their prices to that maximum $ amount so they can extract every penny possible out of the public health fund. if you're not buying one through medicare or insurance, then you get to cover that reimbursement yourself. they don't really cost that much to make, but uncle same is willing to pay $$$$, so the sticker price is $$$$

the regulatory costs of FDA device certification are not trivial and significantly contribute to those prices. Which would be fine if the FDA was actually testing the devices, but they dont. This resulted in Phillips having to issue a recall for a bunch of their cpaps after it turns out the foam used in them breaks down and gets forced into people's lungs. Something that should have been caught in long term testing and something that was reported way way before philips ended up being forced to fix it. The FDA, like the FCC w/ boeing, was relying on philips to do the testing properly and to report/resolve issues promptly but neither happened. Thats what we get for our money with federal regulators.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

hearing aids also got hit by consumer ear protection/sound amplification devices being both way better and way way way cheaper. They didnt totally collapse cause the FDA decided all of a sudden that their previous "medically backed" reasoning for requiring doctors to fit and prescribe basic hearing aids no longer applied and now you can get them over the counter. I would guess a bunch of newer OTC hearing aids are litterrally white label consumer devices with the company logo and an FDA stamp applied.

implants are obviously a totally different thing, but its just so funny how bad the device grift is.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
only vaguely related but when us pharmacists started being allowed to give vaccines all the medical centres were opposed etc out of concern of safety and we couldn’t be trusted etc

of course I mean that’s what they said, but probably more likely they didn’t wanna lose a predictable seasonal cash cow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
one issue our medical system
is gonna face is that so much of it is predicated on a doctor being available

at the moment they are often not. for better or for worse so much stuff is gatekept behind them, which is starting to lead to some significant issues, while a lot of other capable health professionals could possibly do a thing but can’t

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pharmacists here can extend/renew some prescriptions, and can give entirely new prescriptions to treat stuff like UTIs

I think it’s great, but I haven’t spent the last 10 years polishing my OHIP billing strategy to a gleaming shine

(my meds are too interesting for them to extend, of course)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Got my bloodwork results, and apart from a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar level, everything is loving excellent. Cholesterol down to 3,2 which is a record for me.

Still feel like crap.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Got my bloodwork results, and apart from a slightly elevated fasting blood sugar level, everything is loving excellent. Cholesterol down to 3,2 which is a record for me.

Still feel like crap.
congrats! not a small accomplishment.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

congrats! not a small accomplishment.

No it's actually very easy to elevate one's blood sugar level!

(Thanks.)

e: Low(er than is usual for Finns) cholesterol runs in the family. Must be the deported Hungarian horse thief genes. I used to eat like poo poo every day and it was usually around 3,9 which is fine. But the LDL:HDL ratio was starting to look kinda bad so I had to do something about it.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 23, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

one issue our medical system
is gonna face is that so much of it is predicated on a doctor being available

at the moment they are often not. for better or for worse so much stuff is gatekept behind them, which is starting to lead to some significant issues, while a lot of other capable health professionals could possibly do a thing but can’t

France is very very slowly making changes around this, now that the rural medical system is getting completely overwhelmed (graduates don't want to live there, the gov has been talking about making it compulsory but I don't think that'll help recruitment). They also had a cap on the number of medical students which was removed a couple of years ago and replaced by a minimum.

There's still a lot of nonsense work for doctors that I think will be removed over the next few years. Any paid medical leave requires a doctor's note, group sports activities need a medical certificate (some orgs like Park Run just gave up and don't operate here), there are compulsory occupational health checks which is fine in theory, but the way they are administered is incredibly inefficient*. Plenty of scope for pharmacists and nurses to do more of that work.

* My last one I had to take a 400eur train to the other side of the country so that an incredibly bored occupational health doctor could weigh me and ask if my back hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

it makes prostrating a lot of fun

hell yeah get purified dog