Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Harold Fjord posted:

I think it makes most sense to treat balance moves like tumble through if you aren't doing anything excessively complicated.

You just move and take the check on the appropriate square.

Edit- what even is that failure? What distance can I voluntarily fall at from the original square on a balance action?

I would assume 'fall' means 'go prone in your current square' unless you're balancing above the ground, in which case you'd fall straight down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Pryce posted:

I would assume 'fall' means 'go prone in your current square' unless you're balancing above the ground, in which case you'd fall straight down.

Right but then it's the same as crit fail

quote:

Critical Success You move up to your Speed.
Success You move up to your Speed, treating it as difficult terrain (every 5 feet costs 10 feet of movement).
Failure You must remain stationary to keep your balance (wasting the action) or you fall. If you fall, your turn ends.
Critical Failure You fall and your turn ends

I like the idea that you can scramble at half speed before you end up prone. It's the only interpretation I can come up with to even have that as an -or-

Otherwise I would put the failure result as "you flail in place and the action is wasted'

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Harold Fjord posted:

I like the idea that you can scramble at half speed before you end up prone. It's the only interpretation I can come up with to even have that as an -or-

Otherwise I would put the failure result as "you flail in place and the action is wasted'

NVM, I see what you're saying now.

GimpInBlack fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 9, 2024

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harold Fjord posted:

My interpretation is that fail gives you the option to just go "nope, gently caress it, waste the action", whereas a crit fail says fall on your rear end, do not pass go, do not collect 200 gold.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Kyrosiris posted:

My interpretation is that fail gives you the option to just go "nope, gently caress it, waste the action", whereas a crit fail says fall on your rear end, do not pass go, do not collect 200 gold.

Yeah, but what Harold is getting at is that there's absolutely no reason you'd ever not do that, because there's nothing that actually happens if you don't choose to stop on a failure. If it said "You move half your speed and fall at the end of it or you must stop moving immediately to keep your balance" that would justify the option. But without that, it makes way more sense for the fail effect to just be "you stop moving and waste the action."

About the only case I can see, which is an extreme edge case and TBH I don't even know if there's any effect like this in PF, but if for some reason you were required to move your full Speed or for some other reason couldn't stop, then I guess you'd fall prone on a failure?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Well, I could see it in very specific cases, like if it was your last action anyways and you have ways to mitigate the fall problems like Kip-Up or Nimble Crawl. Maybe not even the latter in emergencies where you don't want to be next to an enemy.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GimpInBlack posted:

About the only case I can see, which is an extreme edge case and TBH I don't even know if there's any effect like this in PF, but if for some reason you were required to move your full Speed or for some other reason couldn't stop, then I guess you'd fall prone on a failure?

Yeah, something like Command could compel that, I think. Now granted you could also just Command them to drop prone, but a normal fail Command only gives you one action over them, so "run away" -> failed Balance, but they must move -> fall on rear end and end turn beats "go prone" -> go prone, then stand back up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
IMO it should be the other way around, either you fall (and can use whatever actions you have remaining) or you stay still but your turn ends

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Question about a wood kineticist: would extract element work against creatures with just the plant tag? Did the wood tag exist before rage of elements?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Question about a wood kineticist: would extract element work against creatures with just the plant tag? Did the wood tag exist before rage of elements?

I don't know the official and correct answer, but if I were running that at my table I'd say "yeah sure plants are fine" b/c biology be damned, if we're exclusively using the Wood tag we'll have a very limited monster set.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Finally had my second Outlaws of Alkenstar session. Spoilers below, obviously, if you're planning to play it.

I no longer feel bad in the slightest about playing a forensic medicine investigator. We went into the scrapyard without having any potions or external sources of healing, and our oracle had used up her last heal spell, so we were depending on my Treat Wounds and Battle Medicine, and they came in super loving clutch with good rolls for First Aid/Battle Medicine when party members went down to a rusty ooze and a bug swarm. Things got tense, but we pulled through - and I finally remembered to Pursue Leads, so I got some free stratagem rolls off those, and I actually ended up with a pocket 20 on one of them. THAT was fun to fire off. :haw: Things were kinda feast or famine tonight, actually. Plenty of nat 20s, but plenty of nat 1s as well. We're still only partway through the scrapyard, but things are quite exciting!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm a bit confused over this 2e Remaster 'core' business. If I buy the Advanced Players Guide that's available now, will the rules be compatible? Or should I hold off until the 'Core' A. Players Guide comes out?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Player Core 1 and Player Core 2 combined are the Remaster counterpart of the Core Rulebook and Advanced Player's Guide combined, basically. Player Core 1 and Player Core 2 have 8 classes each, as opposed to the 12/4 split of the CRB and APG. PC1 contains the Witch, but the Swashbuckler, Oracle, and Investigator will be in PC2.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If your budget allows it, I'd wait for Player Core 2 at this moment in time. The overwhelming majority of content really is the same, but the organization/codification is going to be easier on your mind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fuligin posted:

I'm a bit confused over this 2e Remaster 'core' business. If I buy the Advanced Players Guide that's available now, will the rules be compatible? Or should I hold off until the 'Core' A. Players Guide comes out?

Yes and yes.

Errata for the Advanced players guide is here: https://paizo.com/pathfinder/faq
Mostly paladin stuff because the removal of alignment impacts their class the most. You could just print that out and stick it in the book and be completely up to date with the rules. Ish.

The classes have been moved around in the new set of books. One of the APG classes is the Witch, but in the remaster that is in Player Core 1, and apparently it changed quite a bit. So you're only getting 3 "new" classes instead of 4: investigator, oracle, swashbuckler.

In the new set;
Player Core has bard, cleric, druid, fighter, ranger, rogue, witch, and wizard.
Player Core 2 isn't available until July and will have: alchemist, barbarian, champion, investigator, monk, oracle, sorcerer, and swashbuckler.

The APG has some cool stuff that is compatible with, but eclipsed by, the 2 new Player Cores. If you're on a budget I'd wait for the new book and use Nethys for now, but if $50 isn't a big deal to you then the APG is still a solid book.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Finally had my second Outlaws of Alkenstar session. Spoilers below, obviously, if you're planning to play it.

I no longer feel bad in the slightest about playing a forensic medicine investigator. We went into the scrapyard without having any potions or external sources of healing, and our oracle had used up her last heal spell, so we were depending on my Treat Wounds and Battle Medicine, and they came in super loving clutch with good rolls for First Aid/Battle Medicine when party members went down to a rusty ooze and a bug swarm. Things got tense, but we pulled through - and I finally remembered to Pursue Leads, so I got some free stratagem rolls off those, and I actually ended up with a pocket 20 on one of them. THAT was fun to fire off. :haw: Things were kinda feast or famine tonight, actually. Plenty of nat 20s, but plenty of nat 1s as well. We're still only partway through the scrapyard, but things are quite exciting!

That's great news. Sounds like it's working exactly as intended.

We held our first Fist of the Ruby Phoenix session today. It was a bit frustrating as I didn't make sure more than one character put points into Religion, but only in the most marginal way. Overall the first location went very well with everyone getting good moments to shine. Only problem is my Thaumaturge player is more visual than verbal, so we need to design some flowcharts to keep the combat moving along. Not his fault either, because Thaumaturge is one of the more litigious classes.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Fuligin posted:

To go into a bit more detail, every 2e book (including the APG) is mostly compatible with the Remaster. You'll have to do some minor changes, but it mostly amounts to ignoring spell schools and changing flatfooted to off guard. You'll have to do a bit more to remove alignment damage, but that change is for the best. And for books like Bestiary 2-3 and Dark Archives and so on, that's it. They work fine, keep it up. But the Advanced Players Guide is in a weird spot, because the Players Core 1 and 2 are being written to present everything in the original core book and APG as a coherent whole and sprucing up the classes in the process. So, if you buy the APG now, you're kind of just buying something you can get a slightly better version of in six months.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Thanks for the info all, sounds like 'wait'

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
whoops wrong thread

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 14, 2024

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fuligin posted:

Thanks for the info all, sounds like 'wait'

To really Tl;dr everyone else’s posts:

There are four rulebooks that you Should Not Buy at this point:
Core Rulebook
Game MasteryGuide
Advanced Player’s Guide
Bestiary

The first three of these books have had their contents updated and rearranged across the Player Core 1, GM Core and Player Core 2. The Bestiary is getting replaced by an updated Bestiary. PC1 and GMCore are out, PC2 and the Bestiary are due this summer.

If you happen to already own any of those four books, they are all still fine, but if you want to relate it to new material going forward you’re going to need to check out a bunch of errata over time etc.

Anything else, like Secrets of Magic, Dark Archive, Guns and Gears, any of the Lost Omens books, you can just freely grab right now and it’s all good.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

To really Tl;dr everyone else’s posts:

There are four rulebooks that you Should Not Buy at this point:
Core Rulebook
Game MasteryGuide
Advanced Player’s Guide
Bestiary

The first three of these books have had their contents updated and rearranged across the Player Core 1, GM Core and Player Core 2. The Bestiary is getting replaced by an updated Bestiary. PC1 and GMCore are out, PC2 and the Bestiary are due this summer.

If you happen to already own any of those four books, they are all still fine, but if you want to relate it to new material going forward you’re going to need to check out a bunch of errata over time etc.

Anything else, like Secrets of Magic, Dark Archive, Guns and Gears, any of the Lost Omens books, you can just freely grab right now and it’s all good.

Also of note, Rage of Elements already has a number of changes that made it into the remaster, so it's more readily compatible than those older books that still have some weird tags regarding say, spell mechanics and schools going on.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

With the Remastered Witch Familiar - what are useful things a Familiar can be used for?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

With the Remastered Witch Familiar - what are useful things a Familiar can be used for?

Casting Final Sacrifice.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Scouting (although the rules about familiars in exploration and downtime mode are still rather fuzzy)
Bonuses to skills
Making hexes more powerful
Action economy shenanigans

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Chevy Slyme posted:

Casting Final Sacrifice.

I wonder if there's Bravo's Brew on the sun.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Stitching strike or the other equivalent is a decent once-per-battle option and since it's a familiar ability it only costs you an action to order it to use it. Haven't had a chance to use the higher level abilities yet.
The resentment patron ability stands out in particular though, because it lets you maintain afflictions like frightened as long as you position your familiar carefully, whenever you cast or sustain a hex, which you should do, because they've great.

They were always useful before remaster too, they just required investment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I went through Pathbuilder and tried to build my Ranger up to level 11. My plan is to take Beastmaster and have my companion engage while I snipe from afar. It's not exactly optimal, but I think this build strikes a good balance between playstyle, roleplay, and efficacy. I haven't built out to level 20 yet, but any advice for this character?

https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=641504

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I went through Pathbuilder and tried to build my Ranger up to level 11. My plan is to take Beastmaster and have my companion engage while I snipe from afar. It's not exactly optimal, but I think this build strikes a good balance between playstyle, roleplay, and efficacy. I haven't built out to level 20 yet, but any advice for this character?

https://pathbuilder2e.com/launch.html?build=641504

One note, the Ride feat may be of limited utility if you're planning on riding an animal companion.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I hate coming into this thread to complain but man I just have direct evidence that my DM is adding a lot of abilities to monsters and weakening weaknesses to enemies against my group.

How can I respectfully ask someone to not add attack of opportunity to every boss* and higher level monster?

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 18, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

How can I respectfully ask someone to not add attack of opportunity to every monster?

'the game is not balanced around universal attacks of opportunity and you are making it unfun for us, please stop.'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"If you wanted to play 5e we could have just played 5e."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hate coming into this thread to complain but man I just have direct evidence that my DM is adding a lot of abilities to monsters and weakening weaknesses to enemies against my group.

How can I respectfully ask someone to not add attack of opportunity to every boss* and higher level monster?

That sucks. I was in a game where the GM would keep adding the elite template to enemies in encounters that were already two levels above the party. It's frustrating as heck when every battle turns into a grinder.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Could be worse! :v:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder2e/comments/198zuqm/gm_only_allows_2_actions/

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

“My GM has an absolutely deranged houserule” is my favorite genre of whiny pathfinder Reddit post tbh.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Reddit OP posted:

when I asked it basically was this is my world and i dont like the 3 action economy

Well gently caress you too, GM dude, I don't like you, either!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The funniest bit is he left it in for the enemies, its just PCs who get his butchered action economy.

Also you can still do 3 action things! As long as you also give up your ability to do a reaction and the (singular) free action he allows per turn. And yes talking counts against that (singular) free action so you need to sit in silence until your turn comes again. You can also do 2 strikes for a single action as long as you take the -5 and -10 MAP for them even if they're your first and only 'attack'.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Paralyze TPK'd my buddies 40 years ago in AD&D and Abom Vaults has continued the tradition, which I am not happy about.

In fact I'm generally not happy with Abom Vaults in general and wondering why it gets so much love. It has a lot of fights in lovely, cramped locations and frequent encounters against a single hard-hitter (boring) or against stuff with save-or-suck abilities. It's starting to feel like a real grind.

Edit:

Chevy Slyme posted:

“My GM has an absolutely deranged houserule” is my favorite genre of whiny pathfinder Reddit post tbh.

Didn't feel much like whining, though.

Also it's just a fact that half of GMs are worse than average and a bunch of them think they are smarty-pants design geniuses, when in fact they are ignoramuses who have no idea what they're doing.

And LOL at any GM who says it's "their world", flatly not true. Group activity.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 18, 2024

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Paralyze TPK'd my buddies 40 years ago in AD&D and Abom Vaults has continued the tradition, which I am not happy about.

In fact I'm generally not happy with Abom Vaults in general and wondering why it gets so much love. It has a lot of fights in lovely, cramped locations and frequent encounters against a single hard-hitter (boring) or against stuff with save-or-suck abilities. It's starting to feel like a real grind.

Were you running the incapacitation trait correctly?

Some people really like dungeon crawls. AV does a good job giving context to the monsters present and has a lot of different directions the party can go, while allowing for a surprisingly large number of non-violent resolutions to encounters. I'd say it is in some ways harder to prep for than most adventure paths, since at any moment there are probably six different encounters the party could actually face next. Which means I'm more likely to play the monsters incorrectly or get an ability wrong.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And LOL at any GM who says it's "their world", flatly not true. Group activity.

I had to dip out of a game run by a friend because it turns out citing rules sources on AoN was "questioning his authority" and I wanted to be able to stay friends.

Running a game is a lot of work and I'll frequently ask people to look up a rule we aren't certain on while it isn't their turn because it is a group activity and I don't want to slow down play.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 18, 2024

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Were you running the incapacitation trait correctly?

Some people really like dungeon crawls. AV does a good job giving context to the monsters present and has a lot of different directions the party can go, while allowing for a surprisingly large number of non-violent resolutions to encounters. I'd say it is in some ways harder to prep for than most adventure paths, since at any moment there are probably six different encounters the party could actually face next. Which means I'm more likely to play the monsters incorrectly or get an ability wrong.

Yeah I did. The (spoilers for level 3 of the Abom Vault) Canker Cultists are Level 3, the party is level 3, no Incap help at all. They got hosed. A DC 20 Fortitude check was a 13+ for their Martials and they burned their hero points off trying to resist. Both Martials got taken out of the fight on the first round.

The whole "The DC decreases by 1 each round" is a joke. Let them roll with Fortune or something, it's a horrible effect that resulted in the dice saying "you die".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I had a fighter who spent nearly a dozen turns paralyzed in one of those fights. The rest of the team was really bad at dealing damage (one was a swashbuckler, wouldn't recommend at that level) and couldn't really do much. I don't think you are supposed to tackle the ghouls until level 4. Recall knowledge to know they can paralyze low level adventurers or just running like hell once the first person gets paralyzed is probably the right call. That's one of the things people like about AV, some encounters can't be brute forced, at least if you try them at the soonest opportunity, which requires a different approach than the typical AP that involves 20 linear fights, all of which you are certain to beat. Coming back later to a floor or boss you couldn't handle feels great. I think it is a bit more old school in that regard.

Same group nearly had a TPK when the same fighter was confused by a wisp and proceeded to defeat the rest of the party. The only reason they didn't all die is because the confuse broke when the fighter started hitting himself.

Hard CC is awful.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 18, 2024