Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gaius Marius posted:

The biggest problem with Reacher is that the titular character is not large enough.

They should do an episode with Lord of the Rings-esque perspective trickery to increase Reacher's height by 17%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

trevorreznik posted:

Is Reacher as good as Warrior? I've only seen the latter and it's top tier action TV

Absolutely not. It's a completely different kind of action. If you want something more like Warrior watch Banshee.

I say this as someone that loves Reacher

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe
So leme get this straight: Reacher is a show about a large dude that gets larger as he beats up bad guys?

Johnny Cleanslice
Apr 25, 2022

Air Skwirl posted:

Absolutely not. It's a completely different kind of action. If you want something more like Warrior watch Banshee.

I say this as someone that loves Reacher

Just FYI though I dunno about Warrior (haven't watched) but I'm slowly making my way through Banshee and it leans pretty hard into the whole Skinemax Softcore Fuckin thing...which cool, whatever it's just sex and nudity...buuuuut that includes a violent rape a few episodes in which felt like a pretty cheap way to justify how destroyed the villain of the week gets

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Johnny Cleanslice posted:

Just FYI though I dunno about Warrior (haven't watched) but I'm slowly making my way through Banshee and it leans pretty hard into the whole Skinemax Softcore Fuckin thing...which cool, whatever it's just sex and nudity...buuuuut that includes a violent rape a few episodes in which felt like a pretty cheap way to justify how destroyed the villain of the week gets

There's definitely some sexual violence in Warrior if you don't want to see that, just as a warning. Reacher has sex and has violence, but I don't think has any sexual violence.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

an egg posted:

and then the beef shimmers

What a pretty thing to say

This is a pretty good rral-time found footage doc about 9/11. Though I don't think I'd ever actually seen the suicides before, and it has a pretty long clip of person after person diving out, which was kinda a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx8_Pumdkpg

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
One cool thing about Banshee is that Anthony Starr got too into the fight scenes with the stunt people, and really went into it and leant into a pulled punch on a really early shoot, broke himself a jaw. And it worked. Turned the character into a mush mouth with an overbite. Underbite? Whichever one makes your lower jaw too long

And he's pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-Jk0E4alrY

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 18, 2024

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Is it called Reacher because the large man, due to his largeness, has a very long reach?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

I would like to see Tom Cruise Reacher meet TV Reacher and get on his shoulders to become Mega Reacher.

MechaShiva! MechaShiva!

I've only read one Jack Reacher novel, one about where he helps a battered wife escape from her racist husband and exposes how they've been murdering border crossing immigrants for shits and giggles.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I bet a lot of conservative dads threw the book down in disgust when that was revealed to be Bad, Actually

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How large can jack reacher be when Tom cruise was allowed to play him.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

I think that was a major complaint with the film, which the TV series comprehensively deals with.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
He's still not as large as book Reacher, hilariously.

"Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest."

Alan Ritchson is 6'2" and shot from below.

Personally, I'm taller than Reacher at 6'6" but only weigh 89kg and have a 42" chest, so can confirm that IRL Reacher would be a very Big Guy indeed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not to mention his fists are nowhere near the size of a thanksgiving turkey

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The first Cruise Reacher film is pretty good though. The second is unfortunately crap.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jay Rust posted:

The instructions for the casting director were to get a big actor.

They were more detailed with their request for the show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Someone should go back and rescale Tom Cruise to be Jack Reacher height in those movies.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Failed Imagineer posted:

He's still not as large as book Reacher, hilariously.

"Reacher is described as being 6 feet 5 inches (1.96 m) tall, weighing 210–250 pounds (95–113 kg) and having a 50-inch (130 cm) chest."

Alan Ritchson is 6'2" and shot from below.

So Jack Reacher is proportioned like an early Jojo character?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tom Cruise gets the vibe of Reacher even if he's too small. Not a lot of actors could sell the line where he says he's going to drink someone's blood out of his boot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Tom Cruise gets the vibe of Reacher even if he's too small. Not a lot of actors could sell the line where he says he's going to drink someone's blood out of his boot.

Cruise did a great job, but at the same time now having seen the Reacher series I do understand why fans of the books weren't happy with Cruise. It's just a totally different dynamic when everyone in the movie underestimates Reacher due to his average appearance, versus the sheer gravity that Ritchson has in the series any time he simply walks into a room. There's a lot of comedy that comes from people being like "what in the hell is this monstrosity?" and it changes the way Reacher interacts with people.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that makes sense, i haven't watched the show and i've only read two of the books. i should check out more.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

For Gústi the Strong we tried to exaggerate the tallness of the actor by having him stand on an apple box whenever he was next to someone and his feet weren't in the shot. In a few shots you can see him step down from and onto boxes and suddenly change in height as he hits his mark.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Looking forward to the American remake of Anatomy of a Fall where the blind kid is played by Timothee Chalomet.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FreudianSlippers posted:

For Gústi the Strong we tried to exaggerate the tallness of the actor by having him stand on an apple box whenever he was next to someone and his feet weren't in the shot. In a few shots you can see him step down from and onto boxes and suddenly change in height as he hits his mark.

LOL I noticed that, I thought he was stooping down or something. It works, though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm watching Reacher because of yall

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Never read the books or watched the show but Jack Reacher sounds like a crime solving Doom Guy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm watching Reacher because of yall

glad we could reach you

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Sourdough Sam posted:

Never read the books or watched the show but Jack Reacher sounds like a crime solving Doom Guy.

He is

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean don't misunderstand, the show is trash. It's just really fun, satisfying trash.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Perfect, no notes
https://twitter.com/ArcaneCrystal/status/1747890162468528413

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I mean don't misunderstand, the show is trash. It's just really fun, satisfying trash.

Yeah, exactly. It’s trash, but well-made trash.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I just finished watching Barry (really good btw) and am probably going to watch Reacher next because after four seasons of dark comedy about the soul killing nature of violence I would honestly love to just watch a great big man destroy some bad guys.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flying Zamboni posted:

I just finished watching Barry (really good btw) and am probably going to watch Reacher next because after four seasons of dark comedy about the soul killing nature of violence I would honestly love to just watch a great big man destroy some bad guys.

Yeah, Barry was good. We are about to watch the last episode of Fargo S5. My tasteful cousin also highly recommended A Spy Among Friends, which is really excellent. Extremely good writing. If you enjoyed Tinker Tailor it’ll be right up your alley.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the big shift the last season of Barry took was a huge miscalculation but the first three and a half or so seasons were so good

I thought it was interesting to see the ways that Barry manipulated his son into seeing him as he wanted to be seen by others, but it was not great for the pacing and it resulted in some of the side characters like Gene having a bit of a rushed ending. All the stuff with him getting framed felt like it was two or three episodes of plot crammed into the back half of an episode.

therattle posted:

Yeah, Barry was good. We are about to watch the last episode of Fargo S5. My tasteful cousin also highly recommended A Spy Among Friends, which is really excellent. Extremely good writing. If you enjoyed Tinker Tailor it’ll be right up your alley.

Will add this to the watch list for sure.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 18, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe you guys are right but it all lead up to “Oh Wow” which is just exceptional lmao

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Yeah I liked the actual final episode, and that moment specifically, a lot.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought the ending of Barry was perfect.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think the last moment i really liked was the attempted prison hit, which also might be the only time i've ever found Fred Armisen funny.

fake edit: actually i think the cameo from the director of CODA was the following episode, that bit was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Justice for Gene

I liked it, but was very sad with where Gene landed.