Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hey, kudo's to the switch manufacture for that kinda life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Im glad I did a short stint in MSP hell because I got to touch a lot of poo poo I wasnt anywhere near qualified to do, got exposed to a lot and learned a ton.

But good lord, what a lovely race to the bottom that whole industry is. poo poo cheap customers, poo poo cheap owners, just garbage all the way down.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im glad I did a short stint in MSP hell because I got to touch a lot of poo poo I wasnt anywhere near qualified to do, got exposed to a lot and learned a ton.

But good lord, what a lovely race to the bottom that whole industry is. poo poo cheap customers, poo poo cheap owners, just garbage all the way down.

I also spent some of my early computer touching career in MSPs and agree with all of this. Grats for making it out of that mess.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

VPN won't connect this morning and connect/disconnect function is locked out for users.

I call tech support. "Your estimated wait is 30 min"

loving great.

It's now 50 minutes later and I'm still on hold.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
I had some Verizon firewall maintenance scheduled for the Friday before a 3 day weekend at 6:00.

Users were informed, I was ready to take care of some other bits of maintenance while things were offline. Overall I figured this would go pretty smoothly.

Then a little after 1:00 the internet cuts out.

:cripes: I forgot about goddamn time zones and of course Verizon uses GMT.

Thankfully it didn't take very long to do the first part of the required maintenance and we rescheduled the rest for 6:00 local time, but still. Not my proudest moment.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Got a ticket from a supervisor saying their new hire can't login to Windows. I go up to see them (the new hire) to find out what the issue is, and they're saying their password doesn't work.

New users are given their credentials via a post-it that is left inside the laptop (the laptop is closed and connected to a dock). I look around their desk for the post-it so that I can try the password myself, and I can't find it. I ask them where they put it - "Oh, that was my password? I didn't know what it was so I threw it away"

:wtc:

What the hell did you think it was, Glenda? What else could a piece of paper with "GlendaG" and a short string of words and numbers written on it possibly be? I grabbed it out of the recycling bin at their desk and had them login successfully. I didn't have the courage to ask them what the hell they were even trying to use as their password. I suppose they were just... guessing? God only knows. Maybe I need to start labeling the post-it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What is clear and obvious to you is not always clear and obvious to someone else.

I used to have a word template that had all the intro stuff on it including their username and password and used mail merge to populate the fields from a csv. That would get included in their onboarding packet by their manager.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Fool posted:

What is clear and obvious to you is not always clear and obvious to someone else.

I used to have a word template that had all the intro stuff on it including their username and password and used mail merge to populate the fields from a csv. That would get included in their onboarding packet by their manager.

Similarly, we include a printed-from-Word username/password welcome page. Just easier.
The manager always gets the same email I get with the new employee's username and password, but about half of them ignore it because it comes from HR, despite them, you know, having hired someone new. Everyone always ignores emails from HR or IT.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

johnny park posted:

Got a ticket from a supervisor saying their new hire can't login to Windows. I go up to see them (the new hire) to find out what the issue is, and they're saying their password doesn't work.

New users are given their credentials via a post-it that is left inside the laptop (the laptop is closed and connected to a dock). I look around their desk for the post-it so that I can try the password myself, and I can't find it. I ask them where they put it - "Oh, that was my password? I didn't know what it was so I threw it away"

:wtc:

What the hell did you think it was, Glenda? What else could a piece of paper with "GlendaG" and a short string of words and numbers written on it possibly be? I grabbed it out of the recycling bin at their desk and had them login successfully. I didn't have the courage to ask them what the hell they were even trying to use as their password. I suppose they were just... guessing? God only knows. Maybe I need to start labeling the post-it
Asset tag for your convenience? I guess she tried to use whatever her normal password for all her accounts is that she then reset her work password to be too, so good luck there.

But also yes, you should be clearly labelling it "username: GlengaG, password: go@ts3" etc when handing it over. Five seconds of scribbling saves you walking to the user.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TIL I'm being a little unreasonable. I didn't realize that kind of formal handout was standard. This is the first time I've seen a user do this and we've been doing the post-its for years before I even started here (and this is my first IT job) so I just assumed it was normal. I'll approach my boss about changing it up

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Welcome to the wonderful world of "process improvement".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of "process improvement".

Maybe, but I think this user may also just be a special kind of stupid. She sent us a ticket yesterday after she was able to login asking for help with her email signature. HR handles that, that so I referred her to the relevant HR person. We just now got a ticket from said HR person, forwarding us the email that Glenda sent them, concerned that it was phishing because they didn't know who Glenda was and the email is written like this:

"Please I need help.

Telephone
Text sounds
Email signature
Last Name

Thank You. Glenda"

Edit: and to be clear, I told her to reach out to HR specifically for help with email signatures. I have no idea why she included the other stuff

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

Onboarding is not an IT task, it is a line manager task. Line manager gets the laptop and the credentials (temporary access pass if you're on board with all that) and gives them to the new hire when they turn up.

Ha ha ha ha. We had a guy in IT whose job it was to onboard. Login, training, the whole loving works.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah you get those. You'll fix things to prevent this happening again only to find the next new hire has a different stupid problem.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah you get those. You'll fix things to prevent this happening again only to find the next new hire has a different stupid problem.

And then you'll use the opportunity to further improve your process.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Forever.

Job security! :pseudo:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Every time you make your process foolproof, you meet a better fool.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

hi

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAa.... wooo...

TLDR: LOL. LMFAO, even.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Every time you make your process foolproof, you meet a better fool.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks Ants posted:

That's been my experience as a user for the past 3 jobs. My managers handled everything when I showed up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Darchangel posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAa.... wooo...

TLDR: LOL. LMFAO, even.

The only actual tasks that should be done for a new employee by IT are account provisioning and equipment distribution.

Everything else should be done by some combination of HR, Payroll, that employees managing chain.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I spent half a day working with an external company on some Teams stuff, and my hot take is that Teams as a phone system is passable in a world where everybody is using headsets, doesn't really make or receive actual phone calls all that often, and you just want someone to have a number they can use to give out to tech support or whatever. If you want a telephone on a desk then it's complete poo poo, run away. Awful platform.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hughmoris posted:

That's been my experience as a user for the past 3 jobs. My managers handled everything when I showed up.
My current job I handled my own onboarding. Literally got mailed the previous dude's laptop and got told to wipe it for myself.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
We tried deploying Teams phones on desks and everyone was like "??? but I already have a softphone?" we found them on shelves and in drawers and one in a trash can. Nobody wanted their precious desk space wasted.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I'm an IT grunt and I've done so many new employee onboardings over the years. This was pushed for by the then director of learning and development. Of course I protested that the literal training officer ought to oversee it, but here we are.

What do I do in my onboardings? Let's see:

- give them their temp password, have them sign in, have them change it. Also get them set up with 2FA
- show them the basic features of Outlook, including how to create Teams and Zoom meetings
- how to use the Teams features, how to sign into Zoom and use Zoom Phone
- how to use OneDrive, specifically sharing files and folders
- how to use the Mimecast plugin in Outlook
- how to sign into our CRM, both in the Outlook plugin and via browser
- how to enter a helpdesk ticket (and how to use the Snipping Tool!)

I can usually knock all of this out in under an hour. And they love me for it!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

klosterdev posted:

We tried deploying Teams phones on desks and everyone was like "??? but I already have a softphone?" we found them on shelves and in drawers and one in a trash can. Nobody wanted their precious desk space wasted.

They’re going to roll out Teams phones at my joint so they came through and threw away all our desk phones.

Going to roll out Teams phones

Going to

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Darchangel posted:

Similarly, we include a printed-from-Word username/password welcome page. Just easier.
The manager always gets the same email I get with the new employee's username and password, but about half of them ignore it because it comes from HR, despite them, you know, having hired someone new. Everyone always ignores emails from HR or IT.

Don't shame my Outlook rules

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Arquinsiel posted:

My current job I handled my own onboarding. Literally got mailed the previous dude's laptop and got told to wipe it for myself.

Onboarding for my current job consisted of me hounding people until they gave me things for four months. All IT did was give me a laptop with a bad battery and tell me to write down my password on a sticky note after I set it. I finally got a phone and an extension last week and my desk should be showing up by the end of the month.

I still haven't written my password on a sticky note.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tactlessbastard posted:

They’re going to roll out Teams phones at my joint so they came through and threw away all our desk phones.

Going to roll out Teams phones

Going to
They got rid of our desk phones and gave us all software phones.
In the process this broke our intercom that we had in the entryway so they just hung up a sign over the junction box where the intercom used to be saying 'dial <My Phone> for entry'
Then they got rid of our software phones.
The SOP now is to just bang on the glass till someone notices I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Deuce posted:

Don't shame my Outlook rules

I'm going to. Shaming them right now.

SHAME.

Kurieg posted:

They got rid of our desk phones and gave us all software phones.
In the process this broke our intercom that we had in the entryway so they just hung up a sign over the junction box where the intercom used to be saying 'dial <My Phone> for entry'
Then they got rid of our software phones.
The SOP now is to just bang on the glass till someone notices I guess.

What is "an phone"?
I kid. We had desk phones until about 2022, when we finally got everything migrated to an 8x8 cloud-based phone system, and switched to softphones except in Team Rooms and Conference Rooms. SO much easier to manage than Avaya's archaic poo poo. For one thing, an actual working softphone for Macs, and an easily setup app for mobile. We also switches from Zoom to Teams about that time, but I don't think that had much impact with regard to phones.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

corgski posted:

Onboarding for my current job consisted of me hounding people until they gave me things for four months. All IT did was give me a laptop with a bad battery and tell me to write down my password on a sticky note after I set it. I finally got a phone and an extension last week and my desk should be showing up by the end of the month.

I still haven't written my password on a sticky note.
Sticky notes get unfairly maligned in this work from home era TBH. Go ahead and make things convenient for yourself. If someone gets to the sticky note you'll probably care more about your TV than you will work's problems.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

My Section supports the Welcome To $COMPANY process. We get new hires on Monday. We walk them through signing in, changing the temp password that was (probably) texted to them, VPN use for remote people, setting up Chrome sync, and we give them some helpful links. We can do a small group in 20 minutes if nobody has any issues. It can take an hour and a half if people have account issues or fall behind and have to catch up after we finish.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

Sticky notes get unfairly maligned in this work from home era TBH. Go ahead and make things convenient for yourself. If someone gets to the sticky note you'll probably care more about your TV than you will work's problems.

A strong password written on a safely kept note is better than a weak password you don't need to write down (because it's so simple).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Possible :yotj: inbound. First application, phone screen with hiring manager, team interview and offer all within a week.

Plus it's a company I like.

Offer came in about 10k low, but they're not giving up. Company recently got bought by a private equity firm and has been hiring like crazy, so hopefully the RHCE 8 I have that so far nobody else in the company does will give that extra push.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Possible :yotj: inbound. First application, phone screen with hiring manager, team interview and offer all within a week.

Plus it's a company I like.

Offer came in about 10k low, but they're not giving up. Company recently got bought by a private equity firm and has been hiring like crazy, so hopefully the RHCE 8 I have that so far nobody else in the company does will give that extra push.

Glad to see you're escaping, finally. I feel like it's only a matter of time before they run the tech teams into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

Glad to see you're escaping, finally. I feel like it's only a matter of time before they run the tech teams into the ground.

Staying on the QL/RM side definitely saved my sanity. There's no way I would have been able to continue on the RCD side without losing my loving mind.

If they make it work, there will still be some suckage because they're a vendor. At least I know my TL is way more pragmatic than dogmatic, unlike the Kool-Ade-ers over there. When the buyouts were going he was like "please don't, but I understand".