Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
apparently hot pockets don't come with the crisping sleeve any more. what is this world coming to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AARD VARKMAN posted:

apparently hot pockets don't come with the crisping sleeve any more. what is this world coming to

well then how does it get crispy :mad:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beastie posted:

Apple pulled some seasons/specials of the Rocky Gervais podcast from circa 2007 from my library.

Thankfully they're all over YouTube now.

And the uploaders level the audio so Ricky's annoying howling and screeching isn't ear shattering, which is nice as myself and apparently a ton of others like to listen to them in bed

I think that is on you for listening to Gervais in TYOL2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrQwerty posted:

It will come with a Crispin' Glover

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

MrQwerty posted:

they claim they have the "crispiest crust ever" now but I don't think they actually changed the recipe, it appears to be straight up cost cutting + weasel words lmao

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

AARD VARKMAN posted:

wtf that was like the whole point of hot pockets existing

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Did the crisping sleeve actually do anything? I don't recall any other microwave item ever coming with a crisping sleeve, so I doubt the scientists at Hot Pocket Labs were the sole discoverers of a magical crisping device.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Did the crisping sleeve actually do anything? I don't recall any other microwave item ever coming with a crisping sleeve, so I doubt the scientists at Hot Pocket Labs were the sole discoverers of a magical crisping device.

Apparently they do!

quote:

A crisping sleeve essentially behaves like a miniature standard oven inside a microwave oven. The sleeve is made of a thin layer of a specialized metallic material known as a susceptor. It is designed to absorb microwaves—much more than food does—and get very hot when it does.

Since the sleeve encloses the food, the heat from the sleeve cooks the surface of the food with radiant heat, just like a tiny toaster oven would; where the sleeve touches the food, heat is conducted directly, like cooking in a pan. In fact, the presence of the food is necessary to draw heat and prevent the sleeve from overheating and combusting.
https://www.americastestkitchen.com/cooksillustrated/articles/7486-how-do-microwave-crisping-sleeves-work-ask-paul

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Some frozen pizzas used to come with crisping trays and they definitely made a difference in that instance at least.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like the idea of hotpockets but when I tried them all I could think of these suck. Just so incredibly low quality and not tasty.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I like the idea of hotpockets but when I tried them all I could think of these suck. Just so incredibly low quality and not tasty.

oh wow. incredible insight. and what do you think of the slop fro m mcdonlaldsn?>

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Duck and Cover posted:

I kind of like the meatball? ones I think that have marinara and mozzarella but most hot pockets are joyless affairs

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

oh wow. incredible insight. and what do you think of the slop fro m mcdonlaldsn?>

It's not about being garbage food it's about being garbage food that tastes bad. Mcdonalds for the most part is fine but it'd probably pick something else unless I just wanted a shake or pie. I do think they should sell the pies in the grocery store frozen section.

holefoods posted:

I kind of like the meatball? ones I think that have marinara and mozzarella but most hot pockets are joyless affairs

I think I had pepperoni and it was definitely joyless.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

One time I covered a hot pocket with a paper towel to heat it up in the microwave so it wouldn’t splatter and make a mess. The crisping sleeve set the paper towel on fire and filled the kitchen with smoke.

So it definitely did something.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Inceltown posted:

I think that is on you for listening to Gervais in TYOL2024

He's the least funny of the three, and he's wildly obsessed with asking questions about gay stuff being done to straight people. If I had the time and energy to compile the hundreds of hours of the shows and edit him out, I would.

Karl Dilkington is a world treasure so I endure.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

quote:

In fact, the presence of the food is necessary to draw heat and prevent the sleeve from overheating and combusting.

*Brandon Lee tossing hot pockets into a microwave*

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

wait is this supposed to be the cast of Friends?

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i havent bought a hotpocket in a decade but if i did i would airfry it

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
The last week or two my phone (android) keeps asking me if I want to translate to english. On a text thread. That's in english.

gently caress you google, my spelling isn't that bad.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

wait is this supposed to be the cast of Friends?

It's all the posters in this thread. Guess I must have forgotten to invite you to the shoot, sorry!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's been incredibly cold lately, so I've been wanting to visit a state park not far from here that has waterfalls that sometimes freeze in the winter. I went onto the park's website to see if there was any kind of updates about whether the falls were frozen or not.

Well I'd prefer not to have to join a facebook group, I just want to know if the waterfalls are frozen, but sure.

My favorite part is when information isn't locked behind private groups for some reason, also can I see pictures of the waterfalls

Is this a state park or a parole officer? WHAT ARE THE WATERFALLS LIKE

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Starved Rock is gorgeous! Seriously people, look up what it looks like and then look up what the Shawnee Forest looks like, it will change your perception of Illinois.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Everything is a facebook group or discord server and I loving hate it so much. I was trying to find out how to do something on a fairly complicated piece of music gear and, you know, did a search online. There's a subreddit for this device, great! The mods shut it down, deleted all the posts and moved to discord. Why. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy. I dont want to join your secret clubhouse just to find out how to adjust input gain on individual parameters you dicks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Navigating discord sub channels to get authed by a bot or whatever is horrid. It’s the worst software ever

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing is when you ask questions in a discord and people get mad because "It was answered last week".

You are hosting your community on an ephemeral, unorganized, IRC-like solution with no structure and awful search-ability and you get mad when it turns out that doesn't work AT ALL to archive information. It's only half Discord's fault, but Discord has made Internet communities loving terrible.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

euphronius posted:

Navigating discord sub channels to get authed by a bot or whatever is horrid. It’s the worst software ever

and just think, they're still in the angel investor phase where users aren't directly the enemy. It's going to be great when they IPO Lol

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(It was good for voice coms for raids . I will give it that)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My favorite thing is when you ask questions in a discord and people get mad because "It was answered last week".

You are hosting your community on an ephemeral, unorganized, IRC-like solution with no structure and awful search-ability and you get mad when it turns out that doesn't work AT ALL to archive information. It's only half Discord's fault, but Discord has made Internet communities loving terrible.

Maybe you should've read the pins first :jerkbag:

(oh, you mean there's 50 pins and none of them actually answer anything and the search doesn't work? well, that's still your fault)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Beastie posted:

Starved Rock is gorgeous! Seriously people, look up what it looks like and then look up what the Shawnee Forest looks like, it will change your perception of Illinois.

It may change my perception, but not my opinion.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Everything is a facebook group or discord server and I loving hate it so much. I was trying to find out how to do something on a fairly complicated piece of music gear and, you know, did a search online. There's a subreddit for this device, great! The mods shut it down, deleted all the posts and moved to discord. Why. Whhhhhyyyyyyyy. I dont want to join your secret clubhouse just to find out how to adjust input gain on individual parameters you dicks.

should be a megathread instead

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

euphronius posted:

(It was good for voice coms for raids . I will give it that)

it was adequate at that, but worse than teamspeak and ventrillo which already filled that use case perfectly well

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Beastie posted:

... do people have a perception of Illinois?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cerekk posted:

it was adequate at that, but worse than teamspeak and ventrillo which already filled that use case perfectly well

Yeah vent was pretty cheap iirc

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

dreezy posted:

should be a megathread instead

Unironically.

There are megathreads in SH/SC that act as a wealth of information, and when they get updated even once every other year, it acts as an outstanding starting point and data archive, but also provides a ledger of discussion history and an entry point for new posts. Forums are actually *extremely* good at solving this problem and it's insane that they are all but extinct.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

StackExchange is the absolute ideal platform for this. If someone could somehow manage to make that work well without having to gameify it to hell and back that is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beastie posted:

I assume both of the greyhounds and the person in this pic are Nazis though and I hate Illinois Nazis.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Inceltown posted:

I assume both of the greyhounds and the person in this pic are Nazis though and I hate Illinois Nazis.

Despite the absolutely absurd cold that river still got it's giant dick out on display. Impressive.

I'd say possibly also lewd conduct, but I assume it lives there.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

... do people have a perception of Illinois?

Chicago and then corn (the real answer is soybeans)

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TotalLossBrain posted:

It will come with a Crispin' Glover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Forums are actually *extremely* good at solving this problem and it's insane that they are all but extinct.

Two things here. First, forums require financial upkeep for hosting and moderation, two things absolutely nobody wants to shell out for. SA exists because we've gamified the system so that twelve perma'd users' reregs and a smattering of otherwise banned reregs pay these costs. That's lightning in a bottle most cannot capture.

Second, any forums owned by an IP holder will necessarily be heavily censored and periodically culled. Every company is actively engaged in making their products worse so they can profit more and upsell things that they previously included, and a long-standing forum would be evidence of that. Discord and Facebook are inoffensive here because they're so difficult to search that it may as well be impossible.