Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

The Muscle Buster's never been Joe's ultimate killshot either, right? That's the Rear Naked Choke.

In ROH Joe really didn't have one finisher he won every match with. He'd win with the Muscle Buster and Choke but also with other submissions and occasionally the Island Driver or a big lariat and brainbuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

There was a period in TNA where Dutch Mantell had mandated that no matches end on submissions so he'd choke a dude out, they'd escape and he'd hit them buster for the finish.

Dutch Mantell is a blithering idiot

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Didn't Lou Thesz talk poo poo about Harley Race being too flashy?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

Lou Thesz thought the wrestlers who came after him sucked except for the shoot style guys who he was willing to do appearances for.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

fart blood posted:

Dutch Mantell is a blithering idiot

among other things I'm legally not allowed to disclose...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Lou Thesz thought the wrestlers who came after him sucked except for the shoot style guys who he was willing to do appearances for.

The funny thing is that even older wrestlers probably thought Thesz looked like a flashy idiot and wondered why he jumped up to put his crotch in people's faces as a finish.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Dawgstar posted:

The funny thing is that even older wrestlers probably thought Thesz looked like a flashy idiot and wondered why he jumped up to put his crotch in people's faces as a finish.

And so it goes, generation after generation. The drat upstart kids become old guys who hate these drat upstart kids.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Every generation hates the one that comes after it.

The only real pro wrestling is stalling for 45 minutes then 15 minutes working a headlock leading to a time limit draw and/or curfew.

Gotta get them back in the building next week brother, can't give away the farm in one match.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

coconono posted:

There was a period in TNA where Dutch Mantell had mandated that no matches end on submissions so he'd choke a dude out, they'd escape and he'd hit them buster for the finish.

Don't let Dutch watch MMA. Just a bunch of bad fighters tapping out all the time. Where are all the real fighters who never give up?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Lamuella posted:

That was Gotch: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/6re22b/karl_gotch_referring_to_harley_race_as_a_clown/?rdt=40641

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
https://x.com/sheslaydaily/status/1747807387480887772?s=46&t=ZOgtjsgQ2j9jWfsJ7rwNNA

I just need you guys to know. I’m not being worked

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

These folks must have hated it when Punk was talking about Hangman after the show while he was in AEW.

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Shard posted:

These folks must have hated it when Punk was talking about Hangman after the show while he was in AEW.

Of course, these people have standards, in fact I'd say they have twice the amount as the average fan.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
We must hold the Young Bucks accountable

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

the young bucks literally showed up with cartoon villain mustaches. it makes a lot of sense why nothing in wrestling is ever subtle with fans that are this dumb

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

JUNGLE BOY posted:

the young bucks literally showed up with cartoon villain mustaches. it makes a lot of sense why nothing in wrestling is ever subtle with fans that are this dumb

aew has always been at its best when the blue checkmark antis hate it the most. that's the only barometer i need to know we're back

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

JUNGLE BOY posted:

subtly, like subtext, is for cowards

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

"They were BRAGGING about taking the belts off FTR!!"

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Dawgstar posted:

"They were BRAGGING about taking the belts off FTR!!"

God remember how good that tag match was at All Out?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

yea ok posted:

aew has always been at its best when the blue checkmark antis hate it the most. that's the only barometer i need to know we're back

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fart blood posted:

Anyone who talks about “ring psychology” is a giant red flag.

Wrestling is cool moves until someone wins.

I was thinking recently about you really don't see people talk about psychology particularly often anymore. Which is probably for the best because it never really seemed a very helpful word, seemed to be used to describe wildly different concepts from "they do nothing but punches & restholds" to simply "follows rules/logic that are consistent within themselves and the environment they occur in".

IDK, cool moves without much of the connective tissue between them is pretty much not for me, but it was once so I'm not going to waste time being mad someone else likes it.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Also, literally CM Punk’s second or third promo back in WWE cotnained a Jack Perry joke, to which the crowd went even less than mild.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

The single most exciting thing in wrestling is when a guy kicks out of a huge move at 1 and the other guy has to hit him with a barrage of tubes to make him stay down

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Seams posted:

big fan of when people say stuff like that about bucks/perry but just sort of dodge the topic of how much responsibility the common factor in their backstage fights might have

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
The same people complaining about Hook kicking out at 1 and how finishers mean nothing in AEW are going to call a Cody/Roman match with 6 spears and 3 Superman punches the best match of the decade.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
My favorite version of people kicking out of 1 is when they are hit with their own finisher or a finisher that has significant meaning to them - like someone using the finisher of their best friend/boyfriend

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Isn't this the lady in the front row who was very visibly angry at Hangman when he came back at All Out

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

modern wrestling is no different from shadows projected onto the cave wall. I am not a crackpot

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tampa Bae posted:

The same people complaining about Hook kicking out at 1 and how finishers mean nothing in AEW are going to call a Cody/Roman match with 6 spears and 3 Superman punches the best match of the decade.

Yeah but those will have Cody and Roman holding their head in disbelief while they make bug eyes for the camera. It’s storytelling.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah but those will have Cody and Roman holding their head in disbelief while they make bug eyes for the camera. It’s storytelling.

It's really cool when there's over-the-top emoting in ring due to a foe not quitting or when a heel showboats instead of finishing the job and gets punished for it imo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

It's really cool when there's over-the-top emoting in ring due to a foe not quitting or when a heel showboats instead of finishing the job and gets punished for it imo

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

yup. makes it look like a real fight

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/wwe_wwf_junkie/status/1748177100467540107

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
If Okada does indeed go to AEW I would have to think NJPW might start reconsidering their partnership but I dunno really how all that works. But it does seem bad for a lot of your big stars to keep leaving to work with your partner instead

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MovieMarvin/status/1748177939676397857

"The forbidden door swings one way" says actual muppet.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

apophenium posted:

If Okada does indeed go to AEW I would have to think NJPW might start reconsidering their partnership but I dunno really how all that works. But it does seem bad for a lot of your big stars to keep leaving to work with your partner instead

It’s kind of an interesting place to be because it’s not like they’re poaching the hottest youngest stars or whatever. I mean, Jay, Will, and Okada are young in general but they also have done everything to do in NJPW and were all there for ages.

Kind of feels inevitable they’d lose some names like that at some point. At least with AEW they still have a good chance of working together.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

What about sending Mox over for a ~6-month excursion?

He beats Naito for the title, and then turns heel, betraying his protege Shota Umino. The main event scene in AEW is going to be super-congested, so send Mox and various members of the BCC over to NJPW for a few months, then boom, Shota wins the belt off of his dastardly former mentor, and he gets elevated to the main event scene, chasing the heel gaijin back to the US.

We signed your #1 guy, so we'll send our #1 over to build up Okada's successor.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kvantum posted:

What about sending Mox over for a ~6-month excursion?

He beats Naito for the title, and then turns heel, betraying his protege Shota Umino. The main event scene in AEW is going to be super-congested, so send Mox and various members of the BCC over to NJPW for a few months, then boom, Shota wins the belt off of his dastardly former mentor, and he gets elevated to the main event scene, chasing the heel gaijin back to the US.

We signed your #1 guy, so we'll send our #1 over to build up Okada's successor.

While it would be really funny to see how mad this would make everyone it would probably make Mox the maddest to be away from his family for six months so probably a bad idea.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean do you think NJPW would prefer all their top guys go to WWE and never see them again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Drakkel posted:

I mean do you think NJPW would prefer all their top guys go to WWE and never see them again?

let’s go to reddit for their take

quote:

This is like having a wife that’s leaving you for your friend but you can still have her for a night or two every year instead of her just leaving outright for another man. You’re the bitch now if you prefer the former.