Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

A fairly important fact of the Destiny universe since its inception was that all of the enemy factions loving hate each other as much or more than they hate us. The universe has always just been a vicious brawl with one faction trying to survive all of the others and EVERYBODY wants to kill us so they can get their hands on the Traveler, either to use it or destroy it, so I think it's a pretty cool development that as the game has gone along, that sense of "everybody is at each other's throats" has given way to a multi-race multi-faction alliance with the Vanguard or everybody being subjugated by the Witness. All of these disparate factions have become united by the enormity of this conflict. It's a good way to show how big the stakes have gotten and it's a good way to show the growth of characters like Zavala, Caiatl and Mara (this whole season was basically about how much Mara has changed) and also show the power and influence of the Witness to take control of all of these different, self-interested parties like Eramis, Xivu, Calus, the Scorn and the Vex.

This is the one aspect of the writing I've really enjoyed. Even with the Fallen on Earth in Destiny 1 I was thinking that surely long-term the plot's going to have everyone figure out that the Last City is One City and the rest of the planet's good to go and have some Fallen just not want to murder everyone and settle in the Canadian Cool Zone or whatever. The Vex are fun too because most of the description of the Sol Divisive is "they keep shooting the rest of the Vex, who seem to tolerate it or just leave." The Divisive are fully all-in on Darkness/Witness worship, the rest are very much not but don't seem to want to harm them. The Scorn being split between Fikrul and the Witness with Fikrul's starting to generate a weird zombie proto-culture is also neat.

Too bad about the main plot though lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 18, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Sol Divisive being the really weirdly religious family member that everybody else forces themselves to tolerate is really, really funny. What lore book is that from?

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I never played D1 but not long after I started D2 and began to get more into the lore I felt bad for the Fallen - especially around season of plunder as it had more in game lore about just how gruesome the whirlwind was for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MJeff posted:

The Sol Divisive being the really weirdly religious family member that everybody else forces themselves to tolerate is really, really funny. What lore book is that from?

It's one of the ones with Praedyth looking in on them while not and continuing to exist. He notes the others try to just stay away from them when they show up

e: It's https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/epistemic?highlight=praedyth

quote:

He watches the movements of the Vex. He learns to tell them apart: the shining silver ones, the brass ones with backswept horns, the ones with eyes glowing white. Occasionally, scattered among them are pockets of Vex stained with verdigris, their arms trailing shawls of moss. All the other Vex keep away from those ones. Twice, he's seen other Vex fight the mossy ones. It looks like the other Vex are frightened of them, as much as Vex can be.

I misremembered it a bit and they do fight back but mostly stay away lol

e: https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/irrealis?highlight=praedyth

Praedyth also helps some simulations escape, which is neat

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jan 18, 2024

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Does anyone run dungeons or raids regularly? I have a horrible urge to get the Duality armor sets and the VoG armor for my Warlock. I played a bit at launch and then just didn't until I came back a few months ago and started grinding so I have a lot of old stuff to catch up on.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

bij posted:

Does anyone run dungeons or raids regularly? I have a horrible urge to get the Duality armor sets and the VoG armor for my Warlock. I played a bit at launch and then just didn't until I came back a few months ago and started grinding so I have a lot of old stuff to catch up on.

If you ping the LFG channel in the Discord, you can usually get a dungeon group going. I'm almost always up for a run of them. If you want to run VoG, your best bet is to make a scheduled raid. Since it's older, it's not run as often, but there's plenty of people who will join up if you organize one. If you need someone to teach it to you, you can ask for it in the posting; there's lots of good raid teachers in the community.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mara has had multiple helpings of humble pie and it's actually made me like her more. poo poo, for that matter, so has Petra. For as weak as this season has been in other ways, it's done a remarkable job of making me less hostile to several characters.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

ponzicar posted:

If you ping the LFG channel in the Discord, you can usually get a dungeon group going. I'm almost always up for a run of them. If you want to run VoG, your best bet is to make a scheduled raid. Since it's older, it's not run as often, but there's plenty of people who will join up if you organize one. If you need someone to teach it to you, you can ask for it in the posting; there's lots of good raid teachers in the community.

Cool, will do - wasn't sure if I'd be shouting into the void for running older stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

MJeff posted:

I preferred Sanderson's interpretation of the Darkness because the themes at play were really interesting (I just love his interpretation of the Darkness and the Hive as capitalism taken to it's most extreme) and also, it just had a more fun personality and dialogue. I think I'll always prefer that to what we got.

Excuse me!?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

General out here catching strays years down the road.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Snapes N Snapes posted:

The Witness sucks! Such a letdown of a big bad, which is almost retroactively ruining this game and its story for me. A shameful display.

:sigh:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I feel like the exception because I actually don't mind the Witness at all, but the story has just been meandering to buy time which makes them seem less scary.

I'm also salty that while Tormentors are cool and backpack Rhinos were a neat addition we didn't get a new group of people to beat on. Like even if we got lil automaton drones or something, freaky lil mannequins with claws or just like, bug plants. Something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I finally got around to getting the Conqueror title done :toot:

Eight worthless exotic weapons to go and I can be rank 10!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
To bring a positive note, I'm extremely amped about Venus being mentioned in one of the new Coil dialogues and the Ishtar Collective symbol being inside the gate at the end of Starcrossed if you have all four catalysts. Venus coming back for Final Shape would kick rear end and would tie in all the console lore monologues from last season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Beth Sanderson? The celebrated author of The Baitor Caru Tormorant?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i love this thread.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

syntaxfunction posted:

I feel like the exception because I actually don't mind the Witness at all, but the story has just been meandering to buy time which makes them seem less scary.
The witness looked cool and freaky when it first showed up, the voice acting was good, his finger slice thing was terrifying, and I think there would have been potential if they had related it to the Good Lore and not made up some bullshit mid season.

Turns out I was right about it being multiple guys, I just assumed it was going to be tied to the temporal anomalies on Mars and alternate realities, instead of just being darkness voltron.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/twid_01_18_2024

Things happening on January 30:

-A new weekly pursuit, the first of the stopgap measures to address the 5 months remaining until the next major content drop

-Moments of Triumph 2023

-Glimmer cap raised to 500,000

Things happening later than that but before TFS:

-Guardian face customizer

-Transmog bounty cap reset

Things happening after TFS:

-vote for good or evil wizard armor for festival of the lost

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guardian face customiser good.

Guardian hair customiser?

TWID posted:

You will be able to modify the appearance of your Guardians anytime, without cost or limit to the number of changes. Just take into consideration that while you can change the body type, face, hair/head, and markings, it won’t be possible to change from one origin to another (i.e., Human, Exo, or Awoken).

Only took them 10 years.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 18, 2024

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019

Kith posted:

Mara has had multiple helpings of humble pie and it's actually made me like her more. poo poo, for that matter, so has Petra. For as weak as this season has been in other ways, it's done a remarkable job of making me less hostile to several characters.

yeah i don't understand the whole mara is nice now thing

her forsaken lore has her gaslighting her entire species, you and the entire galaxy

now she's just a nice smart lady

it sucks, just want the old mara back

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

One episode should be another Awoken colony ship tunneling into our reality again, looking at the tire fire, and turning around

quote:

We'll share more information about Riven’s Wishes and Moments of Triumph 2023 in next week’s TWID.

I still have the t-shirt from the first one before they deleted the Red War lol

quote:

In a March update, we’ll be resetting the Synthweave bounty cap to give everyone even more opportunities to customize their look when this feature goes live. We hope being able to customize your characters freely will help you refine—or redefine—your beloved Guardians for years to come.

:toot:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 18, 2024

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

dodgeblan posted:

her forsaken lore has her gaslighting her entire species, you and the entire galaxy

Pretty much the last time Mara was a remote, inexplicable chessmaster she went out and found the Witness on her own, fought off something analogous to an attempt at Taking, blew up a Pyramid ship by herself, and died again (which, like hive gods, is just a temporary inconvenience for her)

She's still processing the experience after WQ which is why she's behaving kind of strange in the quest for Parasite, and is also what Parasite's lore blurb is directly referencing.

What's really wild about that spoiler is that the actual story of what happened isn't directly described anywhere. There's one chapter of Stolen Intelligence from Forsaken that very obliquely references it, Fenchurch gives a report of someone else telling him the story in the collectors edition lorebook, there's Parasite's lore entry, and that's it. What can be offputting is that Mara shows up more in the main story from WQ onwards and she reflects this character development in actual in-game story despite the real inciting incident having never actually been put to paper in any form.

It always struck me as some problem with writers not talking to each other enough when plotting out expansion and seasonal arcs and not having any room to correct the problem while on typical live service update cadence.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
This season stinks and we got another 6 months of it. Mara and Crow are the worst, can’t we go back to fun adventures with Eris, Drifter and savathun.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Give Gardens

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I haven’t seen Drifter once this season and for that alone this season rules.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Speaking of Mara, did we ever find out what the "asset" was that she needed moved to the outer solar system?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lord Packinham posted:

This season stinks and we got another 6 months of it. Mara and Crow are the worst, can’t we go back to fun adventures with Eris, Drifter and savathun.

good news, we've seen the last of crow for a while

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Pretty much the last time Mara was a remote, inexplicable chessmaster she went out and found the Witness on her own, fought off something analogous to an attempt at Taking, blew up a Pyramid ship by herself, and died again (which, like hive gods, is just a temporary inconvenience for her)

I wrote that entry in the Witch Queen CE (Fenchurch following up with Eris on the Sjur Eido dream/Hidden Intelligence entry foreshadowing) because I felt I owed it to past writers and interested fans to pay off that plot thread in some way. I’m not clear on whether anyone at Bungie considers those events significantly canon - significant enough to inform anything else they write, I mean. This doesn’t mean it’s NOT canon, I wasn’t sure the Books of Sorrow were significantly canon either for a few years and then they announced Witch Queen.

But don’t be surprised if the question of what Mara did with Oryx’s stolen power and what the vision about Eris and her in a field of wreckage meant never really gets addressed elsewhere.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jan 18, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Meiteron posted:

It always struck me as some problem with writers not talking to each other enough when plotting out expansion and seasonal arcs and not having any room to correct the problem while on typical live service update cadence.
I've said before but I firmly believe that while the lore production and depth in this game is incredible, whoever's job it is to go 'but we put that in the game, right?' before referencing it in the main story is either asleep at their desk, or one of the senior producers who is so up their own arse they assume that every player has memorised the entire Ishtar website.

And by put it in the game, I don't mean in a text file you get from a hidden bobbin at the bottom of the secret area of a raid. There have been a ton of seasonal things that have referenced weird extras from vaulted activities, like the plot point about calling Drifter Germaine which made him sad and fall out with Eido for a bit. Season of the Pirates they straight up tried to build up Nezarec before remembering he's vaguely mentioned before that in 3 item descriptions.

A lot of the lore about Ahamkara this season comes from either D1 or Forsaken - one of which requires having played a different game, and the other which has literally been removed and cannot be played any more. And a central plot point is Mara's harbingers and I still don't know what those things are.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've said before but I firmly believe that while the lore production and depth in this game is incredible, whoever's job it is to go 'but we put that in the game, right?' before referencing it in the main story is either asleep at their desk, or one of the senior producers who is so up their own arse they assume that every player has memorised the entire Ishtar website.

And by put it in the game, I don't mean in a text file you get from a hidden bobbin at the bottom of the secret area of a raid. There have been a ton of seasonal things that have referenced weird extras from vaulted activities, like the plot point about calling Drifter Germaine which made him sad and fall out with Eido for a bit. Season of the Pirates they straight up tried to build up Nezarec before remembering he's vaguely mentioned before that in 3 item descriptions.

A lot of the lore about Ahamkara this season comes from either D1 or Forsaken - one of which requires having played a different game, and the other which has literally been removed and cannot be played any more. And a central plot point is Mara's harbingers and I still don't know what those things are.

The harbingers are those things with faces in the taken King intro movie.

The Blue missile like things Mars fires out of her ship, I mean to say.

So like, not better.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dodgeblan posted:

she's not nice, she's just been repeatedly shown that she was a big fish in a little pond when even rasputin was able to be like "don't take that one of voice with me, you little poo poo". then she burnt out all of her big fish power sending us to bother the shadow legion in the ascendant realm, so now she has to use more diplomacy than she's used to. she's clearly uncomfortable deferring to others and frankly it rules, much like how osiris has to do the same. always fun to see characters stuffed up their own rear end get brought down to earth

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
for a large part of the game i have not been clear on what mara does day-to-day other than lounge in a chair and act like she's better than all this

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

for a large part of the game i have not been clear on what mara does day-to-day other than lounge in a chair and act like she's better than all this

Her title is "Queen" so, yes.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Can you knock out all four of the catalyst quests in one run of Legend Starcrossed?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Roughly how long does it take for a competent individual to go from 1600 to whatever the soft light cap is, 1750 I guess?

Also what is the most fun class now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Roughly how long does it take for a competent individual to go from 1600 to whatever the soft light cap is, 1750 I guess?

A couple weeks of casual play to the first question, do you want to be a wizard, a rogue, or Master Chief to the second

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

do you like capes?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No capes. You know how Cayde-6 really died? Sucked into a jet turbine. The Vanguard just didn't have the heart to tell everyone.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A couple of weeks? What the gently caress that's so long. I was hoping like, 15 hours

"Do you want be a rogue, wizard, or boxer" was also the question in vanilla d2, but the actual answer was warlock (I think, it's been awhile. Maybe it was Hunter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What kind of power fantasies sound fun to you? Here's a brief list of what each class can do, tell us what you like, ask questions about what each class can do and we'll help you figure it out.

Hunter:
- Dance around the battlefield constantly punching everything with electricity and summon a lightning staff that you can either spin to reflect attacks or throw at enemies as a giant lightning rod.
- Throw lots of knives that come in various different flavors - fire knives, exploding knives, heavy precision knives. As a super, you can either throw a barrage of exploding knives or fire a golden gun that can be 6 shots, 3 shots or 1 mega shot that does 625% extra damage.
- Be constantly invisible and debuffing enemies. Heavy support class that can protect your allies by making them invisible and spawn lots of orbs.
- Swing around with a grappling hook, summon beyblades that rip up everything, make shadow clones that distract enemies and send ANGRY WORMS at them.
- Be an ice ninja that freezes stuff and then makes it explode with a diving slam move.

Warlock:
- Honestly, every Warlock build is just "constantly vomit out grenades of this element". You can create rifts that send out blinding lightning shockwaves and constantly fire out lightning grenades. You can float in the air and constantly throw fireballs. You can summon dozens of ANGRY WORMS. You can throw out constant ice turrets that freeze everything. You can throw out supercharged vortexes that suck in everything around them and inflict huge damage. Warlocks just love spamming all of their abilities as much as possible. Warlock also has the best support super in the game, Well of Radiance where you just make a big circle where everybody inside it can't die and does a ton of extra damage.

Titan:
- Titans are mostly about being tanky and smashing stuff with their fists. Arc has a slow moving but extremely powerful lightning melee that can hit a ton of opponents at once. Strand has a triple-slash attack that can be buffed to insanely powerful numbers with a specific combo. Solar can throw a tiny hammer that constantly regenerates as long as you pick it up or jump up into the air and smash down with a BIG hammer that creates flaming cyclones. Void can throw shields like Captain America and have constant overshields to give you and allies extra HP. Titan's ice class is very useless though, don't use that one.