Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Yeah that’s it.

For some reason the link in the article goes to a paywall discussing the report instead of just going directly to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

What the gently caress are AI skills and how do I get them on a resume?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can you use chatgpt? Congrats

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

tokenbrownguy posted:

just respond with "i'd use terraform" to all questions and you already know more than most of the recent fad followers

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Can you use chatgpt? Congrats

Literally this. Learn how to call your favorite models API and strap it to some python code and you’re an AI guy

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

just respond with "i'd use terraform" to all questions and you already know more than most of the recent fad followers

Pulami is the new fad

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

For real though. They probably want mll experience. Is it a dev position?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I wasn't referring to any particular job posting, just the e-janco article.

Six years as a front line helpdesk and watching layoffs roll through has got me pretty burnt out. I'd love to jump on some fad poo poo and ride it out for awhile.

e: only thing I've pursued in terms of career development is PM stuff, I'm 99% of the way done with the Google PM cert and was going to do the PMP in Feb until our educational budget disappeared.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 18, 2024

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If anyone asks me about using "AI" in an interview I will continue to tell them it was a huge help for learning calculus because chatGPT would consistently give me the right steps to take while ending up with the wrong answers so I couldn't cheat with it.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

tokenbrownguy posted:

I wasn't referring to any particular job posting, just the e-janco article.

Six years as a front line helpdesk and watching layoffs roll through has got me pretty burnt out. I'd love to jump on some fad poo poo and ride it out for awhile.

The Cloud™ has many such fad opportunities. Pick a direction and go.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

FWIW getting out of helpdesk was the hardest jump in my career. But once I did I was able to move up pretty quickly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone find a job posting requiring 5 years experience with chatgpt. First one gets a gold star.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hold on, creating one with ChatGPT.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We just had someone apply to our opening who has 19 years cloud experience. Must have some kind of darpanet poo poo before aws took off

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Found a job that has the same benefits, better pay, but is still nonprofit helldesk. Might go for it anyway, since it's pretty obvious this job is going to be a dead end that isn't keeping up with Seattle's stupid rear end COL.

e: plus it's working for a union :ussr:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Sepist posted:

We just had someone apply to our opening who has 19 years cloud experience. Must have some kind of darpanet poo poo before aws took off

I could conceivably argue that I have 25 years of experience with Microsoft Windows i guess

I'm 28

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They mean they ran a botnet

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hiring one of the original developers of Folding@Home would be cool, I guess.

tokin opposition posted:

Found a job that has the same benefits, better pay, but is still nonprofit helldesk. Might go for it anyway, since it's pretty obvious this job is going to be a dead end that isn't keeping up with Seattle's stupid rear end COL.

e: plus it's working for a union :ussr:

I'd love to just work at non-profits forever, but not as much as I love not worrying about money and the pay tends to be trash.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

S3 is almost 20 years old at this point....

I feel so old. My back hurts and I'm just ready for my kid to go to bed so I can read and sleep.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hiring one of the original developers of Folding@Home would be cool, I guess.

I'd love to just work at non-profits forever, but not as much as I love not worrying about money and the pay tends to be trash.

the pay was better than what I'm making now (which is still more than I've ever made before and above average) but I checked the glassdoor and it was "run this is a terrible place to work" over and over again so whelp there goes that chance. seems like a place employing the ol' golden handcuffs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

lmao azure us central

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
The only time I worked a Union job it was the worst I’ve ever been treated. First year I was there about half our 40 person team got a paycut, for us it was about 20%. Our QA manager had his position eliminated. We had two managers and two supervisors, then just one manager and two supervisors. Within six months of the paycut we probably lost a dozen people and hired maybe eight to replace them. We fired one of the supervisors cause the manager didn’t like him, but we couldn’t fire the guy who got a DUI by rolling his car off a cliff with two people inside and spending a week in jail cause he was the kid of the other supervisor.

Not to say all union jobs are bad but that one sure sucked

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That sounds like a pretty useless loving union if they're allowing pay cuts and firing people over nothing, protecting the employees is kind of the union's job.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
We tried to hire someone who had 20 years experience in our career field, but one of the program managers hired his kid instead who tried to dissolve the union. That's about when I left

Also the pay cuts were demotions, which is how they got away with it

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tokin opposition posted:

the pay was better than what I'm making now (which is still more than I've ever made before and above average) but I checked the glassdoor and it was "run this is a terrible place to work" over and over again so whelp there goes that chance. seems like a place employing the ol' golden handcuffs

Your current job is a terrible place to work. Take the better pay, and see if you can get some support from the hiring manager while you’re interviewing for the project work you want to do.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Iron Rose posted:

Your current job is a terrible place to work. Take the better pay, and see if you can get some support from the hiring manager while you’re interviewing for the project work you want to do.

I appreciate you advice here, and I've gone back and forth a few times before deciding to write this place off. The phrase "several of my coworkers have developed clinical depression and anxiety from working here" in a review is kind of a hard pass as someone still crawling out of a years-long depression.

The thing is, I work at a bad department, with bad direct coworkers*, but the company culture itself is pretty nice - if I could transfer to something else I probably would, although realistically having been the IT person for 1.5 years means I'll just become shadow IT. They're good about paternity leave, taking PTO when needed without badering, and pay decently, especially for a nonprofit - with fully covered benefits and retirement contributions to boot.

Gambling on getting lucky with a better department is a risk and not one I'm willing to do in the interest of for a larger organization with reportedly bad practices around promoting women and sexual minorities and is otherwise real lovely seeming. It's also not a step up in terms of title, and assuming I'll get promoted at a place I know nothing about save what I can dig up on glassdoor and linkedin seems ill-advised without a legally binding contract signed in the head of HR's blood, notarized under a full moon by a wizard.

* Bad at being IT, at least for my boss I don't think she's a bad person - just not a good manager and unwilling to take feedback, which while not fun to work with doesn't drat her in my eyes. If I didn't have a finely tuned goondar I'd guess she's posted in the fine arts subforum and book barn. My coworker.... probably didn't want to become the person she is and could get better if people close to her tried, which I am not willing to do.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Umbreon posted:

Several days in at my new job at <Major bank>. I have not been able to do any training or work or even log in from home on my work from home days because I still don't have access to anything. I don't even have an assigned cubicle yet, and no one from my team even works in the same state as me. Basically just being paid to sit in random unused conference rooms and shitpost on my phone.

I have been working at $bigbank for just over 2 years now. Expect everything to be slow and take forever. 1 hour in a real job can take between a week and a month in banking, so what I could achieve in one normal workday at my last job now takes 2-6 months. 98% of my job is fighting against the banks ancient bureaucracies and procedures and trying to navigate the org to get to the person who can actually make a decision and make something happen, the remaining 2% is the tech stuff I thought I was hired to do. I'm also paid twice as much as I was in my last job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I also work in a highly regulated industry. Take it from me, you spend an amazing amount of time it takes (months) to come up with an Installation verification doc that you can execute in a couple of hours, and that is the work they're paying you for.

I'll, probably say a lot more about that sort of dichotomy between the technical work we love, versus the "paperwork" this year. My big objective that my manager has told me he's delegating to me involves managing other groups, getting work out of people I can't control in any way, and generally doing all the cat herding up to the point where I check the "All Devices" box in a managed deployment.

It's different and weird, and my big personal development thing in my Goals this year is going to be adapting to the change from Operational to Agile work. Bullet point Numero Uno on that Goal is going to be: What do I actually do all day to feel like I'm progressing?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
The bureaucratic poo poo is a literal nightmare for me. Give me a goal and say you don’t care how I do it, only that it gets done and I’ll get it done. I want to learn new poo poo and get better

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I just spent two hours writing a change request where I will have to work five hours of overtime on Monday in order to do four minutes of patching.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My first 2 months working at a big bank were just sitting around, as it does take a while to get everything approved. My ssh access took a long time to get through security review. I will just echo what others have said, it is painfully slow but they know, it's just how it works with all the regulation.

I really enjoyed my time there though, I was going through a phase in my life where being busy 100% of the time wasn't ideal, the position I had was 15% engineering in a lab and 85% architecture. I was either working in a lab testing designs or meeting with vendors to roadmap 2 - 5 years out. If covid had happened 6 months earlier it would have switched to 100% WFH, I probably wouldn't have left for my current job, which is much more stressful but more rewarding (and 99.9% WFH).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I asked for an IDE, a £200 purchase, 6 months ago. They said yes pretty much immediately. Still haven’t got the licence lmao. That’s compounded by incompetent management, bad communication, and awful staff retention on top of bureaucracy but still smdh

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I attended a copilot webinar yesterday and there wasn’t really anything exciting to learn about it but the main point they kept hammering was to use this as an opportunity to get management buy in on purview/dlp and to not roll out copilot until getting your data sorted.

Lucky me I have zero purview policies in place today and more than half the company data is sitting on company wide sharepoint sites. Wee.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

For my birthday next week I’m getting shoved out of my cushy security governance role into being supervisor of one of our data center teams. My director has been angling to get me into a leadership role for a few years now despite my resistance and has basically made it clear that it’s time to poo poo or get off the pot. The upside is that I know this team and am at least familiar with their day to day work, but I still don’t know that I’m leadership material.

Anyone got that post handy from years ago about being a good IT manager? Had stuff like “I will never cancel a 1x1 with you, it’s your time and your prerogative to cancel if you don’t feel like meeting”

…I can always just quit if I hate it, right?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you're looking for a good read, "The Mission, The Men, and Me" is a solid leadership primer and my go to example of how to be a good leader. Otherwise just have an empathetic ear, do the opposite of what your bad bosses previously did, and just be normal. Support the team, the organization, and yourself, and you'll be fine. Welcome to the club! It really is a game changer in terms of your career.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I appreciate the input on banks, it's nice to know I'm not going through anything out of the ordinary. Still though, I really hope I don't have to wait 2-3 months before I can do any actual work but if that's how it is then whatever, at least I'm getting paid for it lol.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Last night was my going away happy hour, which lasted 5 hours of a planned 2 hours. In a couple hours I'm going in to turn in my equipment, and I found myself getting strangely emotional at taking my monitors off their monitor arms in my home office.

Definitely going to need to take a therapeutic trip to Menards when this is over with.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fifth day of work at new job, only not because roads are still iced over. Free 1 week vacation with no responsibilities, gotta love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Umbreon posted:

I appreciate the input on banks, it's nice to know I'm not going through anything out of the ordinary. Still though, I really hope I don't have to wait 2-3 months before I can do any actual work but if that's how it is then whatever, at least I'm getting paid for it lol.

Having to deal with all the regulations and red tape is probably is probably part of the reason thry pay above average.

Saving money is usually less of a concern as well. One of my old managers once told me after I expressed concerns over pissing away a boatload of money: “We’re a bank. We have plenty of problems but money is not and will never be one of them.”