Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

DC Murderverse posted:

Wow, the TCU women’s team (who started 14-0) is having to hold open tryouts on campus because they don’t have enough players to field a team. They’ve already cancelled their games this week.

https://twitter.com/tcuwbb/status/1747723931950235739?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Has there been any further news as to the why of the situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

As far as I can tell, it's all injuries. They were down to 6 players, but all I can find are two starters are injured, so they must have been running pretty lean to start with. It doesn't make a lot of sense because they had 10 people log minutes against Houston, so there must be unreported injuries.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 18, 2024

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

I feel like I learn this lesson in middle school but honestly Texas people would not do the horns down if it didn't affect you so much act like you don't care and that's when the teasing ends. Again I wish I knew this lesson in middle school

lol

https://twitter.com/TylerFeldmanTV/status/1747829910289224076

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bird in a Blender posted:

As far as I can tell, it's all injuries. They were down to 6 players, but all I can find are two starters are injured, so they must have been running pretty lean to start with. It doesn't make a lot of sense because they had 10 people log minutes against Houston, so there must be unreported injuries.

It's weird, because I swear I read the "10 players logged minutes in their last game" bit in an ESPN article yesterday morning, but when I revisited the article later in the day that bit was gone. That edit kind of changes the tenor of the story.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Glad Houston was able to stop the bleeding last night, shoot a lot better, and get a win over Texas Tech. That was the first time UH had lost two in a row in a long time and hopefully UH folks will stop panicking because two losses in conference doesn't put us on the bubble anymore.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

OPAONI posted:

JMU is the best basketball team in the state.

To be fair JMU has for some reason decided that they're willing to shell out big-boy money for athletics and compete with Va Tech and UVA for in-state players and out of state recruits in basketball and football.

JMU's absolutely not competing with VT for football recruits, don't believe we even overlap at all in basketball recruiting either.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Nur_Neerg posted:

JMU's absolutely not competing with VT for football recruits, don't believe we even overlap at all in basketball recruiting either.

i mean y'all are both trying to recruit out of virginia beach and hampton roads and the upper half of north carolina, you can only slice that pie so thin

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Declan MacManus posted:

i mean y'all are both trying to recruit out of virginia beach and hampton roads and the upper half of north carolina, you can only slice that pie so thin

Plus Richmond and DC sure, but they don't target/get traction with the players we're recruiting, I can't speak to UVA since their recruiting has been slowly nosediving, but VT's competing with other P5 schools for kids where JMU's not in the discussion. For basketball we don't even really get in-state kids, our roster has a total of two VA players, both of whom were transfers.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://x.com/byjoedavis/status/1748078062502031383?s=46&t=4HCQHNrQSCCyTv5_MzlCTw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

It's weird, because I swear I read the "10 players logged minutes in their last game" bit in an ESPN article yesterday morning, but when I revisited the article later in the day that bit was gone. That edit kind of changes the tenor of the story.

TCU's website has the box score. Ten players participated, one tearing her ACL in that game.

Like the rest of y'all, something doesn't make complete sense. Fourteen players are on the roster, but I can only find injury confirmations on two of them. Two more haven't played this year - but did play last year - and another played in a handful of games but not in a few weeks. One of the reported injuries wasn't season-ending.

I would assume most teams have a manager or two. Unless they're all male (which could be problematic) shouldn't you have a body or two there?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RC and Moon Pie posted:

TCU's website has the box score. Ten players participated, one tearing her ACL in that game.

Like the rest of y'all, something doesn't make complete sense. Fourteen players are on the roster, but I can only find injury confirmations on two of them. Two more haven't played this year - but did play last year - and another played in a handful of games but not in a few weeks. One of the reported injuries wasn't season-ending.

I would assume most teams have a manager or two. Unless they're all male (which could be problematic) shouldn't you have a body or two there?

I'm imagining a nightmare practice where like some kind of Final Destination level Rube Goldberg machine causes 5 players to pull hammys at the same time

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Why does this picture rule so much

Everything about it is perfect

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

a lot of people would say that this is a funny metaphor about what texas fans look like when complaining about horns down. actually, that's an adult texas fan in that cart

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm glad coach Rodney Terry is focusing on the important things

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I think there is also some speculation about some players not meeting GPA requirements.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm glad coach Rodney Terry is focusing on the important things

Yeah our 1-3 start to conference play is not really an issue as much as people doing horns down at us

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kibner posted:

I think there is also some speculation about some players not meeting GPA requirements.

That would make sense as something they don’t want to advertise nationally, but it seems weird grades would suddenly make players ineligible on January 17.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

General Dog posted:

That would make sense as something they don’t want to advertise nationally, but it seems weird grades would suddenly make players ineligible on January 17.

Start of the semester presumably

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Imagine playing against Texas and not doing Horns Down smh

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Finally, some more details, https://fwtx.com/news/bad-luck-puts-full-court-press-on-tcu-women-s-basketball-tea/from Fort Worth Magazine[/url].

quote:

Not a one among TCU’s roster of 14 players were redshirting this season. They were all active, according to a spokesman for the team.

Four were injured either ahead of the team’s season opener against Oral Roberts or in the nonconference part of the season. In addition to Prince and Owens out, two others sustained injuries in practice this week.

It says TCU was down to six players.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://x.com/jordanmoore_21/status/1748324243492757544?s=46

Dalton Knecht is balling out. Look at this loving shot chart

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Terrence Shannon had his temporary restraining order against UIUC granted today.

Frankly I think this is making a bad situation worse and the school did the right thing and that this will destroy team chemistry. I don't see how it helps him either when he gets suspended a bit later in the season after more hearings.

They better not give him any playing time.

In other news I'm going to Welsh Ryan arena to see the teams play next Wednesday and spending a fortune on it since my idiotically rich friend bought tickets at an exorbitant price and expects to be paid back.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Re: TCU WBB, here's one of the injured players (Sedona Price, was 1 of the 2 "big" names before injuries) and her timeline:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolTCU/status/1748508759083606469?t=dwT4NciR_3fj-dW81z6_NA&s=19

This has led to a delightful night with TCU Twitter engaging with a KState beat writer that keeps doubling down that no, it must have been internal team fighting and a conspiracy. Said beat writer is now having their Asian fetishization, domestic violence jokes, and Holocaust jokes brought back up from years past.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Marquette lucky to come back and hang onto that win, very easily could've gotten away from them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

As a fan of the Big 12 I'm seriously conflicted who to root for in this Baylor / Texas game

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Get hosed Seton hall <3

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mcmagic posted:

Get hosed Seton hall <3

I knew i was gonna loving jinx it.........

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
why would game day be coming to Fayetteville for the Kentucky game

nobody should be watching this

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Seton Hall did, in fact, eat poo poo.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

kiimo posted:

As a fan of the Big 12 I'm seriously conflicted who to root for in this Baylor / Texas game

when in doubt gently caress Baylor is a good guide, I know very solid people there but they all say it’s an awful institution even beyond the immense amount of stuff on the public record

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
The school has organized a snowball fight after the UT Bama game. I hope they televise it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Clones have 12 steals already vs TCU. Going to be impressed if they blow this lead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chieves posted:

Re: TCU WBB, here's one of the injured players (Sedona Price, was 1 of the 2 "big" names before injuries) and her timeline:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolTCU/status/1748508759083606469?t=dwT4NciR_3fj-dW81z6_NA&s=19

This has led to a delightful night with TCU Twitter engaging with a KState beat writer that keeps doubling down that no, it must have been internal team fighting and a conspiracy. Said beat writer is now having their Asian fetishization, domestic violence jokes, and Holocaust jokes brought back up from years past.

Students rushing to join the team that is clearly cursed by an Eldritch god

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Lance Jones has been just what Purdue needed

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jonas Aidoo is a drat man

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
How do you go under a screen for Tominaga?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Today is the first day I begin to worry Furphy might be one and done in his second start

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Three straight 30 & 10 games for Zach Edey, almost had a 30 & 20 today.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa state absolutely can not hold onto a lead, but they won on the road against a ranked TCU, so that’s big whether it’s by 1 or 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

Today is the first day I begin to worry Furphy might be one and done in his second start

Don't think we're in high danger of that, lol. Also, hot drat do I hate playing in Morgantown.