Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

happyhippy posted:

I know this is a joke, but I would bet you there was a gently caress ton of these from red states upto Jan 6th.
The brain wormed shouting down the phone 'ITS YALL JOB TO PROTECT THIS COUNTRY!'

Iirc most of the Jan 6th crowd were from the petty bourgeois. Real estate agents and landlords etc

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

She's angling for that VP pick. That's chief pants presser.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Getting really close to breaking the Hastert rule. Not that it ever actually mattered, but it'd be nice to get rid of a notion named after the monster.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Does anyone here think SCOTUS could rule against Trump on ballot issue? And if they did what happens next

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Does anyone here think SCOTUS could rule against Trump on ballot issue? And if they did what happens next

He's done OP

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

jokes posted:

So dumb, but maybe he thinks it'll put the whole thing to rest as a public hearing is going to be MTG showing off his dong to the world, while a private hearing is going to be MTG showing off his dong to a bunch of thirsty republicans who have already seen it. Nothing of substance will come out of it, and they might get more ammunition by talking poo poo in public than trying to constrain it to the private hearing where non-Republicans will be able to confirm what was or wasn't said, now that the circus reached new heights

Can only assume it's because he just wants it all put to rest, but yeah, MTG and the other republicans don't just give up, they'll pick just pick something else they can yell about him about.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Can't trust the SCOTUS but I think there is a really strong case to disqualify him. Probably a poo poo ton of chaos ensues if they do.

RFC
Nov 3, 2002

Stare-Out posted:

This reminded me that The Knick is a very good show.

I'm disappointed it got canceled, that show was very good

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Establishment republicans hate trump and the fact they have to grovel at his feet so there is no reason to rule in his favor but the SC is really weird

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

He continues to campaign and fundraise when not busy with this various criminal and civil trials.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deptfordx posted:

Fun syphilis talk fact.

The Virus is unusually sensitive to heat. So a severe fever can kill it.

Enter the early 20th century treatment of 'Fever Therapy'.

In which a neurosyphilitic patient was deliberately infected with Malaria in the hopes that the fever would fry the syphilis then the Malaria could be brought back under control with quinine.

25% success rate! Which TBF is way better than the previous rate of 0%. Guy who came up with it was Dr Julius Wagner-Jauregg. Got the Nobel prize for medicine.

I'm not a doctor but did they like try getting under a bunch of blankets first

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Random Stranger posted:

Brutus has been seen going into the speaker's office.

They don't have the votes to oust him, and Dems would protect him

LOOKS LIKE THE HFC IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I swear if the Dems still manage to bully Johnson into letting the child tax credit deal go through after all this it'll be the most wholesomely funny thing to happen in two years. Bonus points if they betray him immediately afterward.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Whether the Dems protect him or not depends on him. If he runs his mouth about them like the last guy did they won't save him

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Data Graham posted:

*orders 500 large pizzas to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue :elon::elon::elon:*

It wouldn't be the first time a goon sent pizza to Joe Biden's house and it made the news.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

They don't have the votes to oust him, and Dems would protect him

LOOKS LIKE THE HFC IS BLASTING OFF AGAIN

Dems protecting him would be a pile of lols. He's a lovely, horrible, person and I still call bullshit on not having a bank account, but them having a pet speaker of the house would be one step below having a majority of their own. "Oh yeah would be a real shame if those freedom caucus whack jobs voted to remove you. Better agree to this budget or we might forget who you are like the last guy. Think I hear them banging on the door right now. What ya gonna do there Mr. Speaker?"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I know the Trump brigade has been glomming onto this, but I need some help from the legal folks in this thread.

1. How was this leaked in the first place if it's been under seal?
2. How does this have any bearing on Trump's innocence or guilt?
3. (And this is not a question) - I really hate the recently passed legislation to challenge and remove prosecutors in GA.
4. If she or he is removed, does their discovery evidence still remain for the second string to build upon?

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1748120424993407019

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Edmund Sparkler posted:

It wouldn't be the first time a goon sent pizza to Joe Biden's house and it made the news.

God I remember watching that all unfold live. Fuckin' A

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dementropy posted:

I know the Trump brigade has been glomming onto this, but I need some help from the legal folks in this thread.

3. (And this is not a question) - I really hate the recently passed legislation to challenge and remove prosecutors in GA.
4. If she or he is removed, does their discovery evidence still remain for the second string to build upon?

IANAL but

1. No idea, maybe some chud leaked it or knew about the affair and they dug up some info
2. It doesn't
4. I think so, it doesn't seem like the case can get dismissed over this or even result in a mistrial, the DA and prosecutor just get replaced. Possibly with chuds.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

RFC posted:

I'm disappointed it got canceled, that show was very good

They're working in a spin-off sequel show with André Holland though!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The whole point of the georgia thing is to delay delay delay delay

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Dementropy posted:

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Dementropy posted:

It was in a now sealed divorce filing but likely amounts to nothing.

quote:

Merchant cites unidentified sources close to Willis and Wade, but told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that she reviewed Wade’s divorce filing. The divorce records have since been sealed, according to the filing.

quote:

Former DeKalb County prosecutor J. Tom Morgan, a professor at Western Carolina University, says that even if the allegations are true, he does not believe Willis broke the law or this means the end of Fulton County’s case.

“I don’t see a judge throwing out the indictment or recusing Ms. Willis’s office,” Morgan said. “The optics, however, are terrible.”
https://www.wabe.org/how-could-willis-allegations-affect-the-georgia-election-interference-case/

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

America is wild when one party will wring hands and fret over 'bad optics' and the other side is like, 'Yeah, I hosed a goat to death in the street in front of a busload of children and my voters LOVE me for it'.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not that wild when they're both owned by capital and one party's charge is to appear reasonable to capture labor's reasoned voters and the other party's charge is to oppose them in equal measure so that labor is completely removed from the political process. The latter party doesn't get voters by loving goats or not loving goats, they get voters by not being democrats.

This way the democrats can always appear reasonable and correct and voters will think there's something to hope for, and then rich people will simply trick enough people to vote for republicans so that democrats aren't actually given the opportunity to do the things they appear to want to do. If enough people vote for democrats, democrats (like TRUMP when he won) will sit there being like "gently caress we actually have to do things?" and then they try to self-correct and move to the right, because capital is happiest when no party has a majority-- Elon Musk said this explicitly. If right-wingers win enough, capital gets corporate cocaine, destroy the economy and cause world wars.

TRUMP winning was a surprise to everyone and he immediately sent capital into a corporate coke spiral, causing all the problems that were going to happen regardless of Covid: inflation from cheap/free money, absurd real estate valuations, widening income gaps, etc.

jokes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

America is wild when one party will wring hands and fret over 'bad optics' and the other side is like, 'Yeah, I hosed a goat to death in the street in front of a busload of children and my voters LOVE me for it'.

It goes "Democrats, decorum Republicans, rapists" in case it gets confusing to tell the two apart

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

It goes "Democrats, decorum Republicans, rapists" in case it gets confusing to tell the two apart

Bill Clinton:secret republican. I knew it

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

It was in a now sealed divorce filing but likely amounts to nothing.

Sealing of records like adoptions, divorces and probate is very common. It has been discussed legally at great length but general agreement is they can potentially be very embarrassing, personal and of limited public interest where things like death reports while also very personal and embarrassing should be public because people do have an interest in if deaths are probably investigated.

https://twitter.com/RepMTG/status/1748120580484665574

Big "If I did it" vibes.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 19, 2024

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Sealing of records like adoptions, divorces and probate is very common. It has been discussed legally at great length but general agreement is they can potentially be very embarrassing, personal and of limited public interest where things like death reports while also very personal and embarrassing should be public because people do have an interest in if deaths are probably investigated.

Big "If I did it" vibes.

Holy gently caress

Seriously gently caress this loon

She so obviously did it and is just "not touching you" as hard as possible

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Three Olives posted:

Big "If I did it" vibes.

MTG is such an incompetent bomb builder they let kids play football with it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lmao there's no way she tweets about that unless she was involved

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It is observably and demonstrably true than being a giant piece of poo poo is actually advantagious, there are no downsides, its like having superpowers. Our system, by design or by coincidence, elevates and rewards the worst people within it

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

dr_rat posted:

They probably going to try and be apolitical somehow, so the two sides will be fighting over some stupid bullshit like if soft drinks are called "soda" or if their called "pop".

Yeah A24 or not, this movie is almost certainly going to have to invent a ridiculous "both sides" premise to show all the warring factions in an equally bad light. The last thing a movie's financial backers want is an unflinching depiction of what chuds are on record saying they can't wait to carry out. That won't sell a lot of popcorn.

Even though disqualification from the ballot is not a criminal penalty, I think the majority is going to use all the tortured logic they possibly can to rule that :actually: in this very special case, we have to consider the ripple effects of plainly reading the text of Section 3, therefore due process must be considered and Trump can't be removed from the ballot unless he's convicted of the crime in question. Even if by some miracle they uphold the Colorado ruling, it will only be deep blue states disqualifying him.

Dick Jones fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 19, 2024

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Thomas rules that as Democratic Party caused the Civil War, no Democrat has ever been legally elected for the last 160 years.
-this is sarcasm. not doom posting. s a r c a s m.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

dr_rat posted:

They probably going to try and be apolitical somehow, so the two sides will be fighting over some stupid bullshit like if soft drinks are called "soda" or if their called "pop".

You call it a soft drink because that is literally what you acknowledge it is in this very post, heathen.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
“It was a totally safe pipe bomb”
-Some braying idiot who also planted that particular bomb

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Pot Smoke Phoenix posted:

Robert Caro's series on LBJ is really infuriating during the parts where he covers the conservative coalition during the New/Fair Deal Era. Conservative senators, especially in the South, could get away with anything as long as they kept Civil Rights and other progressive bills at bay. This allowed them to control committees through seniority and simply amassing experience with parliamentary tricks, patronage, and networking. First-term liberals were harder to keep in office, because their voters expected immediate results and tended to lose enthusiasm if they failed to produce or compromised.

It puts things into perspective when you realize just how much FDR and Truman failed to accomplish, given how we think of them today. It does make LBJ's power plays a lot more satisfying in the end, even if he was (and had) a colossal dick.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

There was and is this huge Trump voting block that was like "Yeah, I mean, obviously he is a completely corrupt, immoral, godless, vulgar, monster, but now he is WORKING FOR MY INTERESTS. The lord works though imperfect people."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Aramis posted:

Bad economy being bad for the incumbent no matter the reason is a pretty solid rule of thumb. Most voters are not informed enough to see that nuance.

This should be like the first commandment of politics

It's a fact

Prices taxes gas rent anything and everything to do with money