Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Answer yes, unless there's a question about a PhD. This isn't "Lying" in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

On some applications, there is a question "Do you have a Masters in X, y/n?" I don't, but I do have a Ph.D. in X instead. What should I answer? The technical answer is No and lying is never great, but PhD is a yes for the spirit of the question.

Did your program not give you a masters along the way?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
In Australia the question is normally "what is your highest level of qualification" or something like that. So they might ask for a Master's of [x] but you can put in whatever you want

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Shipon posted:

Did your program not give you a masters along the way?

Most programs won't award you a master's unless you apply for it, and if you're about to graduate with the doctorate, there's very little value. I had to fill in an extra half page form to get mine and it hasn't been worth that much effort.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

On some applications, there is a question "Do you have a Masters in X, y/n?" I don't, but I do have a Ph.D. in X instead. What should I answer? The technical answer is No and lying is never great, but PhD is a yes for the spirit of the question.

99% of the people who wan an M.S. in Chem would take a PhD in chem, so answer yes.

Thats a poorly written question.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alright, I hit yes then

Thanks all

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm sure there's others, but I used EarnBetter to convert my resume into AI generated content with a much improved format.

I used this and it didn't really change my format but now it looks like my resume went through a thesaurus (which is probably what it needed). Thanks for the tip.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Score another point for the "just rock in like you don't give a poo poo" school of interviewing.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wrote out my resume then had ChatGPT improve it. I still had to go through and edit some of the fluff or contextualize a little more, but it was much better at conveying what I actually accomplished vs what I wrote.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ChatGPT is surprisingly good at resumes and cover letters. Probably because of how inherently artificial, arbitrary, and soulless the job hunting process is.

... for real though it is a pretty good at that stuff.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

wash bucket posted:

ChatGPT is surprisingly good at resumes and cover letters. Probably because of how inherently artificial, arbitrary, and soulless the job hunting process is.

... for real though it is a pretty good at that stuff.

Because it’s just smarter predictive text - doubleplusgood T9 - so it gives the most common language used, and when dealing with automated screens and HR drones, most common is most effective.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

If you're going for a higher degree like an MS or PhD please apply for and be awarded the others. It's hosed me thanks to really lovely HR practice in state government jobs so be aware.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Company guy: "Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. If you're still interested, I'll have my assistant schedule an interview"

Me: "Sounds great"

Assistant: ...

This all happened on MLK day so maybe the assistant didn't get something, but how long until I should go bug the first guy again?

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008
In the past year I've gone through full interview series for five really great ideal positions. All resulted in "Thank you...but.." emails a month later. Each involved no less than four Zoom interviews by tiered management layers. I thought I interviewed extremely well each and every time. But a year later, that's ~20 interview events with nothing to show... No feedback, no insights for improvement.. no direction.

I had really good rapport with a couple interviewers so I even tried to follow up and solicit advice..(or gossip.. anything!!). crickets. None replied.

I'm beating my head against a wall.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kimberly Clark posted:

But a year later, that's ~20 interview events with nothing to show... No feedback, no insights for improvement.. no direction.

I had really good rapport with a couple interviewers so I even tried to follow up and solicit advice..(or gossip.. anything!!). crickets. None replied.

Yeah, it sucks doesn’t it? Like screaming into a void. That’s exactly how I spent last year. I just got up every day and kept at it because what the hell else could I do?

I don’t have any better advice but I promise you you’re not the only one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kimberly Clark posted:

In the past year I've gone through full interview series for five really great ideal positions. All resulted in "Thank you...but.." emails a month later. Each involved no less than four Zoom interviews by tiered management layers. I thought I interviewed extremely well each and every time. But a year later, that's ~20 interview events with nothing to show... No feedback, no insights for improvement.. no direction.

It's super frustrating but that's only 5 positions. Remember its not a referendum on you, they have to pick someone and you have no idea the criteria. Maybe they already had a person and they had to go through the motions, maybe they had someone wildly over-qualified needed a spot, etc.

Keep plugging away, the fact that you got that far is a good thing, even if its exhausting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Please don’t expect feedback or coaching from an interview. It’s not a reasonable ask unless you’re just out of undergrad or applying to an internship.

The goal of “getting gossip” from, or having any kind of social interaction with an interviewer after you’ve been rejected is frankly deranged. On to the next. Yeah, it sucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah don’t feel bad about not getting a response from an interviewer even if it went well. Usually those good interviews I try pushing them with the team if I find it was a pleasant interaction with someone I would want to work with but a second interviewer without the biases might have found that it was not a fit in the end. Having the ability to get a good rapport with an interviewer is such a great skill though so that is something to work on.

One junior person I interviewed recently wasn’t the strongest technically with experience but they were really engaged by the interview and I never found myself looking at the clock with dread because it just flowed well. That was someone I was really keen on getting on the team but another interviewer just wasn’t happy with the skill gap. It happens.

I have gotten those emails and often want to reply but don’t just because it feels wrong. I haven’t been explicitly told not to but can envision more potential issues by responding than not. I don’t think sending the one thank you email is a bad thing though, it might keep you top of mind with the hiring folks. But just don’t expect a reply.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Very rarely, I've been given advice from external recruiters, but they are 100x more likely to pump you for info instead.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The goal of “getting gossip” from, or having any kind of social interaction with an interviewer after you’ve been rejected is frankly deranged. On to the next. Yeah, it sucks.

I’m going to politely disagree with calling this “deranged”. Out-of-line or inappropriate maybe. But for someone that’s been job hunting for a long time the stakes and pressure are incredibly high. It’s no wonder after months of tremendous effort with nothing to show for it they’d start to worry they’re doing something wrong and go looking for more info.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I understand the OPs impulse to do so and empathize with their situation, but it’s still a significant breach of normal interview etiquette and is not helping their case at all. It’s the type of thing you get from a candidate as a leading indicator that “yeah we made the right decision by not taking this person”

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That’s all well and good I just don’t think “breach of interview etiquette” equals “deranged”.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Please don’t expect feedback or coaching from an interview. It’s not a reasonable ask unless you’re just out of undergrad or applying to an internship.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I understand the OPs impulse to do so and empathize with their situation, but it’s still a significant breach of normal interview etiquette and is not helping their case at all. It’s the type of thing you get from a candidate as a leading indicator that “yeah we made the right decision by not taking this person”

Can nitpick about deranged being a bit too harsh/judgmental but I think KJR is right and is embellishing to really tell others "no, really, don't do this unless youre a junior junior junior employee"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I dunno "Thank you for your time, and please keep me in mind for any future roles as I am very interested in Company XYZ. If you have any feedback for me, I would love to hear back as this role is something I'd very much like to move into!" or the like is fine. I would never expect anything back but I also don't think a note like that seems inappropriate or would elicit a negative reaction.

I do sometimes give feedback on new people when they need it, and sometimes with people when the feedback is very specific. I've been told not to by HR but they can suck eggs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You are, and I mean this in the most positive way, not normal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You are, and I mean this in the most positive way, not normal.

Sure, thats why I said you probably won't get anything back but if you're looking at an email snippet like I posted and going "Yuck, this guy is deranged, put him on the no-hire list!" seems like a pretty big over-reaction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sure, I think we’re all broadly aligned. Asking for feedback is a little naive but probably harmless. You still shouldn’t do it, but it won’t kill you especially if it’s wrapped in a layer of ongoing interest like lockback’s example. Trying to get more out of an interview contact that you had a rapport with is a bad idea. “Deranged” is probably harsh but you absolutely need to stop doing it.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Lockback posted:

I dunno "Thank you for your time, and please keep me in mind for any future roles as I am very interested in Company XYZ. If you have any feedback for me, I would love to hear back as this role is something I'd very much like to move into!" or the like is fine. I would never expect anything back but I also don't think a note like that seems inappropriate or would elicit a negative reaction.

I do sometimes give feedback on new people when they need it, and sometimes with people when the feedback is very specific. I've been told not to by HR but they can suck eggs.

I would absolutely ignore a message like that as a hiring manager. A direct answer can only lead to a neutral outcome in the very best case, and can quickly go downhill from there. Feel free to thank the interviewing team for their consideration, but move on and expect nothing else in return.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

If you're going for a higher degree like an MS or PhD please apply for and be awarded the others. It's hosed me thanks to really lovely HR practice in state government jobs so be aware.
Not all programs offer them so this may not actually be doable.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Trying to get more out of an interview contact that you had a rapport with is a bad idea. “Deranged” is probably harsh but you absolutely need to stop doing it.

So you're saying I shouldn't have right swiped on him on Tinder??

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Magicaljesus posted:

I would absolutely ignore a message like that as a hiring manager. A direct answer can only lead to a neutral outcome in the very best case, and can quickly go downhill from there. Feel free to thank the interviewing team for their consideration, but move on and expect nothing else in return.

This series of posts reminded me of an early series of interviews for my first SDR hire, third ever hire. This dude had been an SDR at other places for short stents, which is a red flag. Interview went okay but he broke the don’t badmouth previous employer rule so was gonna pass. He very politely asked me for feedback twice, and I gave him direct, non-judgmental feedback about specific things. He said that indicated he’d probably not be a good fit. He immediately became super defensive, tried to rebut my statements with some irrelevant poo poo and seemed angry within 15 seconds.

Never again

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What if the previous employer deserves to be badmouthed

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

What if the previous employer deserves to be badmouthed

You're joking I'm sure but still never a good idea, going negative on anything is a real turn off in any interviews. Being super diplomatic (especially) when it's obvious you are being diplomatic is a plus!

It's weird now that I've been doing more interviews I can usually determine within 5 minutes if it'll be a fruitful interview or not. If it has a bad vibe from the start it almost never comes back. But if it is good there is always a chance they could say something that just derails it completely.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Interviewer: describe a situation where you felt unsafe

Me: last company had Big Boss tell people to not call 911 when the roof was on fire

I mean, they asked for it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

priznat posted:

You're joking I'm sure but still never a good idea, going negative on anything is a real turn off in any interviews. Being super diplomatic (especially) when it's obvious you are being diplomatic is a plus!

It's weird now that I've been doing more interviews I can usually determine within 5 minutes if it'll be a fruitful interview or not. If it has a bad vibe from the start it almost never comes back. But if it is good there is always a chance they could say something that just derails it completely.
I had an interview last week where the hiring guy asked me if I knew a dude at my previous workplace, I said I did, and he said he hired him for the workplace before that. It turned into us both badmouthing our previous jobs, but me being diplomatic about my current one in a way that let him know that the exact same problems applied. They asked if I could start next week.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

"Don't badmouth" is one of those things that is broadly true but mostly exists because if you're not sure you're way better off keeping your trap shut.

"Here is why my last position was challenging and the factors that went into it" is probably ok if its in context of why you're looking for a similar role or whatever. "Here is why my Boss hates me and is a jerk and a stupid head" is not. The problem is people, on the whole, don't realize when they are falling into the latter category. The other thing is (and this is largely true outside of work) that if you tell me 3 stories about how a situation went totally to poo poo I'm going to begin identifying that the common factor is you. That isn't always the case but why risk it?

Staying neutral is usually safest and if you have the skills to tactfully indicate that you're leaving a loving clown show without whining about it you probably aren't really going to need us to give you advice.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

The only "feedback" I've ever received after seeking it post-interview was "the successful candidate had skills and experience better aligned with the role" - which is completely generic and meaningless and told me nothing

Kimberly Clark
Oct 3, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't disagree with this, although perhaps we could say my hope for feedback is naive instead of deranged. My point is that I'm trying to learn from any mistakes and maintain a healthy attitude that all interviews are good exercise, but I suppose there are too many unknown variables which could also be in play.

Thank you wash bucket and Lockback for the encouragement.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There is also no idea how to discern if the feedback you're given has anything to do with the decision or not. Even if it's true, they're not likely to say, "you were competing with an internal candidate and we needed a patsy for the process, sucks to be you." That kind of thing happens all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

bort posted:

There is also no idea how to discern if the feedback you're given has anything to do with the decision or not. Even if it's true, they're not likely to say, "you were competing with an internal candidate and we needed a patsy for the process, sucks to be you." That kind of thing happens all the time.

Yeah I was once told I didn't have as much experience as the successful candidate.....when I knew the successful candidate in person. She was internal and not experienced at all lol