Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Former DeSantis campaign advisor spills the beans on how sad the campaign was. Nothing too surprising, but the details are funny.

https://thespectator.com/politics/told-ron-desantis-campaign-2024/

quote:

“I feel like we’re at an Irish funeral, waiting for the body to die,”

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the 31% of Republicans who don't think Trump would be fit for office if convicted, I'll loving believe it when I see it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eric Cantonese posted:

You don't think affirmative action is different? I think of it as more of a borderline pocketbook/class security issue that does resonate with white voters.

i think that can work. but the GOP has kinda gone beyond that now.
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1746985554321785328
https://www.wired.com/story/charlie-kirk-tpusa-mlk-civil-rights-act/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least he kind of acknowledges MLK’s actual views as opposed to all the “MLK wanted you to be color blind and not woke” conservatives?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

At least he kind of acknowledges MLK’s actual views as opposed to all the “MLK wanted you to be color blind and not woke” conservatives?

yeah, i mean the segragationism poo poo was always just under the surface and the fact that kirk is now screaming it shows its popular again.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i mean the segragationism poo poo was always just under the surface and the fact that kirk is now screaming it shows its popular again.

It's basically undeniable at this point that that one of the main goals of the right is to roll back civil rights for anyone who isn't white, male, straight, and Christian* to achieve (what they imagine) either the early 1950s or 1850s to be.

*Under whatever arbitrary definition they're using today.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It's basically undeniable at this point that that one of the main goals of the right is to roll back civil rights for anyone who isn't white, male, straight, and Christian* to achieve (what they imagine) either the early 1950s or 1850s to be.

*Under whatever arbitrary definition they're using today.

yeah, trump kinda sped all this poo poo up but i think it was coming post romney loss anyway.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Are white women still the biggest beneficiary of AA policies?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2023/06/29/affirmative-action-who-benefits-white-women/70371219007/

Yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sort of.

White women didn't really benefit "the most" from AA policies. They were just the group with the largest absolute amount of beneficiaries because there are 5x more white women than non-white women applying for college.

Percentage-wise, black women were the biggest beneficiaries.

(This is for college admissions and not other AA policies)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

quote:

For how smart you were and as good of a baseball player you were, you would not have gotten into Yale today because you are a straight white male.

lmao, their whining almost makes me wish for this

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

lmao, their whining almost makes me wish for this

Careful, we are their vassal state now

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

This statistic does surprise me somewhat, not so much the white part, which is what you would expect from a numbers perspective (assuming affirmative action in the US also applies to factors such as income and level of disability), but that it's white women specifically. Women are already significantly overrepresented in tertiary education, and have been for a while now, at least where I live.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Phlegmish posted:

This statistic does surprise me somewhat, not so much the white part, which is what you would expect from a numbers perspective (assuming affirmative action in the US also applies to factors such as income and level of disability), but that it's white women specifically. Women are already significantly overrepresented in tertiary education, and have been for a while now, at least where I live.

Yeah if you look at tertiary education where I live (Sweden), 61% are women, and they overall have better grades from high school which means that the numbers skew even higher in advantage for women in many of the more popular programmes.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Regarding the 31% of Republicans who don't think Trump would be fit for office if convicted, I'll loving believe it when I see it.
I think a lot of people think that "conviction" means taking the defendant away from the courthouse in handcuffs and then tossing them immediately into a federal prison in an orange jumpsuit. Anything short of that wouldn't count.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember that this was a real ad put together by someone running for President for who had $200 million in funding for his campaign?

The article by his former campaign advisor commenting about all the people he hired being ex-Ted Cruz staffers and weirdo 4chan people in their 20's makes a lot of sense.

https://twitter.com/RegimeTwink/status/1747113347877687435

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I would love to be a fly on the wall listening into the discussion on the approval for that ad. I picture a bunch of old men trying to understand how Reddit works, failing miserably, and then just green lighting it because reasons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Remember that this was a real ad put together by someone running for President for who had $200 million in funding for his campaign?

The article by his former campaign advisor commenting about all the people he hired being ex-Ted Cruz staffers and weirdo 4chan people in their 20's makes a lot of sense.

https://twitter.com/RegimeTwink/status/1747113347877687435

https://themessenger.com/politics/the-inside-story-of-how-ron-desantis-got-crushed-by-donald-trump-exclusive

rons biggest issue is he is a nerdy control freak weirdo running in a popularity contest with big jock rear end in a top hat with the audiance of said contest being exclusivly lovers of big loud assholes. they dont care about your weird gilded age race science, they dont care if you think star wars is woke. Bigotry works as a platform when you have some actual charisma and or status, trump has both or enough to keep the chuds happy, ron had enough to be a vassal and thats it.
https://twitter.com/MeidasTouch/status/1499095230141775872
this is when i knew he was done on any kinda of national stage. if you have any brains or even mush like trump, you realize yelling at some kid in public because of some weird controll poo poo doesnt make you look smart or strong. even trump as loving awful as he is sorta smart enough to not do that.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 17, 2024

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It was painfully obvious that once you removed Ron from the echo-chamber of Florida's media etc. that his poo poo wasn't going to play on the national stage.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I bet several hundred dollars against him the first time I heard his voice last spring

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

i say swears online posted:

I bet several hundred dollars against him the first time I heard his voice last spring

I felt the same way years ago when I heard his voice the first time too, he has the most nasally and whiny voice I've ever heard on a politician.

Hard to sell yourself as a tough guy when you sound like you should be shoved in a locker.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Angry_Ed posted:

It was painfully obvious that once you removed Ron from the echo-chamber of Florida's media etc. that his poo poo wasn't going to play on the national stage.

I was at a bar and grill the other night (before Iowa) and they played his "Haley and Trump say that parents of trans kids should have a say in their care, Ron DeSantis is the ONLY one protecting our kids from the Radical Trans Agenda by stopping this" commercial just about every break. I can't imagine the people that messaging appeals to. Like, sure, transphobes exist, but they're gonna be pulling the lever for Trump anyway, trying to peel away their votes by assuring them that your guy is the real transphobe just comes across as pathetic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I was at a bar and grill the other night (before Iowa) and they played his "Haley and Trump say that parents of trans kids should have a say in their care, Ron DeSantis is the ONLY one protecting our kids from the Radical Trans Agenda by stopping this" commercial just about every break. I can't imagine the people that messaging appeals to. Like, sure, transphobes exist, but they're gonna be pulling the lever for Trump anyway, trying to peel away their votes by assuring them that your guy is the real transphobe just comes across as pathetic.

mostly trad freaks and uber social chuds. uber online types. no one who would vote in GIANT numbers.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think Ron could've done better if he'd been willing to go full attack dog on Trump from the beginning. Probably not enough to win instead of lose, but I think it'd have gained him at least 5-10 points over where he ended up.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Ron and Vivek's "I'm Great Value-brand Trump" pitch might have been a lot more successful if name-brand, full-sugar Trump Classic wasn't already available right across the aisle

Caros
May 14, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

Ron and Vivek's "I'm Great Value-brand Trump" pitch might have been a lot more successful if name-brand, full-sugar Trump Classic wasn't already available right across the aisle

This really is it.

I suspect all the diet Trump's and the trump max's were pretty much relying on him kneeling over or being in prison. The goal was to be the torch bearer for his movement when he fell.

But since he made it to the primary the best they get is the VP nod for Vivek and real doll reek for desantis.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Caros posted:

This really is it.

I suspect all the diet Trump's and the trump max's were pretty much relying on him kneeling over or being in prison. The goal was to be the torch bearer for his movement when he fell.

But since he made it to the primary the best they get is the VP nod for Vivek and real doll reek for desantis.

yeah, like the idea is to wait it out though, wait for trump to go to the clink OR die or stroke out. desantis hosed up by waffling and then trying to stab the king in the back infront of everyone in a very clumsy way. Vivek played it smarter by just being trumps attack dog and "well if he falls, i move in as the second" which could have worked but you know, indian hindu guy playing to white chuds.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's the one thing you can say for empty suit Haley, she's the only one willing to unambiguously distance herself from Trump at times. Of course, since the latter has so thoroughly co-opted the GOP, it won't matter in the end, but at least she tried.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Phlegmish posted:

That's the one thing you can say for empty suit Haley, she's the only one willing to unambiguously distance herself from Trump at times. Of course, since the latter has so thoroughly co-opted the GOP, it won't matter in the end, but at least she tried.

I think she has a shot if she can outright beat Trump in New Hampshire. Her problem is that the GOP working class voter that love Trump absolutely hate her and what she represents.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

daslog posted:

I think she has a shot if she can outright beat Trump in New Hampshire. Her problem is that the GOP working class voter that love Trump absolutely hate her and what she represents.

She has a shot at keeping the race 'alive' for a few more weeks but winning New Hampshire doesn't give her a path to the nomination, there is no other state between now and super Tuesday where she's actually likely to win.

Another great take:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1747275515789287839

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's the problem, New Hampshire is the special snowflake state where they love voting differently from the rest of the country. If she can't even win there, not much hope elsewhere.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

DynamicSloth posted:

She has a shot at keeping the race 'alive' for a few more weeks but winning New Hampshire doesn't give her a path to the nomination, there is no state between now and super Tuesday where she actually likely to win.

She certainly seems smart:

She knows what she is doing and isn't just dumb.

She had previously (10+ years ago) said that someone tried to tell her she couldn't win a beauty pagent in South Carolina because she was "a brown girl" and that her father was discriminated against for wearing a turban.

She just (correctly) realizes that the modern GOP voter does not want to hear that racism exists.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DynamicSloth posted:

She has a shot at keeping the race 'alive' for a few more weeks but winning New Hampshire doesn't give her a path to the nomination, there is no other state between now and super Tuesday where she's actually likely to win.

Another great take:

i think haley would have a better shot then trump on paper against biden BUT she will never make it past SC.

She knows what she is doing and isn't just dumb.

She had previously (10+ years ago) said that someone tried to tell her she couldn't win a beauty pagent in South Carolina because she was "a brown girl" and that her father was discriminated against for wearing a turban.

She just (correctly) realizes that the modern GOP voter does not want to hear that racism exists.

partly. the moderates know racism is a thing and dont like it, they just want it to be quiet, its why the dont like trump or to various extent desantis, the loud social conservative poo poo is way to loud for them and they just want "compassionate conservative" bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 17, 2024

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So the GOP calendar coming up is:

Jan 23 NH Primary
Feb 8 Nevada Caucus
Feb 24 SC Primary
Feb 27 Michigan Primary
Mar 2 Idaho & Missouri Caucus
Mar 4 North Dakota Caucus

Then March 5 is Super Tuesday.

Pretty big gaps after NH and Nevada which is good for Haley if she wins NH.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

smackfu posted:

Jan 23 NH Primary
Feb 8 Nevada Caucus
Feb 24 SC Primary
Feb 27 Michigan Primary

I can't wait for the NH primary to be over. Living where I do in MA means we share a media market and I've been pelted with Haley ads non-stop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

smackfu posted:

Jan 23 NH Primary
Feb 8 Nevada Caucus
Feb 24 SC Primary
Feb 27 Michigan Primary

could michigan go for haley, apperently the state part has legit fractured so maybe trump wont have enough pull. but i could see desantis doing ok if he has enough social conservative votes.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sax Mortar posted:

I can't wait for the NH primary to be over. Living where I do in MA means we share a media market and I've been pelted with Haley ads non-stop.

Did you hear the Hip-Hop Candidate (whose running as a Republican apparently?) on the radio too?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

could michigan go for haley, apperently the state part has legit fractured so maybe trump wont have enough pull. but i could see desantis doing ok if he has enough social conservative votes.

I don't think anyone's gonna be left in the race by Michigan. Haley is putting basically all of her eggs in the NH basket, and she's still gotta draw the inside straight of all of Christie's votes going to her and then SC coming out in force for their native daughter who wasn't popular there beforehand. DeSantis meanwhile is basically skipping NH altogether to focus on SC, where he's gonna get blown out even fiercer than he did in Iowa

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's hard to tell at this point how long Haley and DeSantis are going to limp through the primary. Their entire run is predicated on being the one there when Trump magically goes away. I think Ron's billionaire masters are more likely to tell him to wrap it up than Haley's though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gyges posted:

It's hard to tell at this point how long Haley and DeSantis are going to limp through the primary. Their entire run is predicated on being the one there when Trump magically goes away. I think Ron's billionaire masters are more likely to tell him to wrap it up than Haley's though.

Haley winning New Hampshire gives her a shot in the arm and a bunch of media coverage of coming out of nowhere, I am not sure it could break Trump but it might get some money behind her.