Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

car owners: poor (£13k+ to buy)

cyclists: rich (£200+ to buy)
Honestly half of them lack the object permenance to figure the full amount. They see x hundred a month and figure they can make room for that.

My wife's dad was delighted when she managed to consolidate a bunch of loans for him. She of course was astonished to find out he was still paying off loans from about three cars ago, at a nightmarish dealership APR rate.

He celebrated by going out and 'buying' another car.

E: 154 is the name of the 3rd album by the English post-punk band Wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Julio Cruz posted:

If you've got the spare time and spare energy to cycle to and from work then your job is more likely to be pretty cushy, making you more likely to be a moneyed kinda fucker.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Skulker posted:

If you've got the spare time and spare energy to cycle to and from work then your job is more likely to be pretty cushy, making you more likely to be a moneyed kinda fucker.

well or you're an Ubereats rider and therefore on the poverty line

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skulker posted:

Oh get hosed

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

really? :(

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Skulker posted:

Nah, its the scooter fucks you're thinking of

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

This is a great grift

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Not the norm but there are some bikes out there costing more than used car (electric cargo bikes mainly)

Of course the cheapest bikes are to be had by breaking a combination lock and riding off with it and bike theft is absolutely rampant (and unpoliced) in any city with a big cyclist population.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just the fuselage?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

Not the norm but there are some bikes out there costing more than used car (electric cargo bikes mainly)

I'm comparing like for like

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Skulker posted:

In a thread with NJAN99 this might be the dumbest post. That's a heck of an achievement.

Literally all you can extract from someone riding a bike to work is they a) own a bike & b) live close enough to work to ride.it there.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

In a thread with NJAN99 this might be the dumbest post. That's a heck of an achievement.

Literally all you can extract from someone riding a bike to work is they a) own a bike & b) live close enough to work to ride.it there.

They might renting that bike

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Z the IVth posted:

Of course the cheapest bikes are to be had by breaking a combination lock and riding off with it and bike theft is absolutely rampant (and unpoliced) in any city with a big cyclist population.

Yes and some cars cost more than a large house, slightly irrelevant poimt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There were a few people who cycled to work at the supermarkets I worked at, kept the bikes in the warehouse.

Just a function of whether you live close enough really.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm really struggling to find the logic behind someone owning a £200 bike being more moneyed than someone owning a £13,000 car.

Many of my friends don't own a car because they can't loving afford one. They cycle because they have to and public transport is poo poo (and often unaffordable)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They were obviously going to do it to appease the 30p Lee part of their voter base; the big question is if Rwanda actually take them, or go 'nah this is in defiance of international law' and return the flight. Which judging from statements by Rwanda's foreign minister, it looks like they actually might.

Where that leaves the UK - having paid Rwanda millions, defied international law and STILL having not shifted any refugees - can only be as hilarious and horrifying as any of this blighted isle's politics tend to be.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

I'm really struggling to find the logic behind someone owning a £200 bike being more moneyed than someone owning a £13,000 car.

Many of my friends don't own a car because they can't loving afford one. They cycle because they have to and public transport is poo poo (and often unaffordable)

Same rationale as working class meaning you have a regional accent, even if you're literally in charge of the country.

Real working class people don't know what a cappuchino is also.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

you know who else owned a bike? Several bikes actually. Boris.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: That was a horrific mental image I just had. Ignore it.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 19, 2024

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Also plenty of employers do cycle to work schemes! I worked at a restaurant who did one in which they'd pay you X amount towards buying yourself a bike.

Not sure why they did that given that there was nowhere to store your bike at said restaurant 🤔

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

On the subject of transport, I was looking at ways to use a sudden injection of dead-mum-gently caress-you-money in ways that won't throw a sledgehammer in my benefits.

This is the most decadent option so far while also being absolutely life changing at the same time

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

There were a few people who cycled to work at the supermarkets I worked at, kept the bikes in the warehouse.

Just a function of whether you live close enough really.
Which I think is where the mistake comes from - if you live in a city, that implies a certain amount of wealth because of how much housing costs in cities and larger towns, as opposed to having to live in a lovely barratt homes suburb and drive in via the kind of A-roads cyclists would be murdered by white van drivers if they so much as looked at.

Cyclists in the types of fantasies referenced earlier are generally percieved as having ridden in from the nice suburbs by choice, rather than underpaid deliveroo people working their second gig to afford a flatshare on the dodgy end of town. It's another disconnect from reality that only works if you imagine Britain is nicer than it actually is.

Or probably they find cyclists annoying to drive around, and are backforming a reason to hate them.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

On the subject of transport, I was looking at ways to use a sudden injection of dead-mum-gently caress-you-money in ways that won't throw a sledgehammer in my benefits.

This is the most decadent option so far while also being absolutely life changing at the same time

theres gotta be cooler ones than that

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

how the gently caress is black a bespoke colour

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

theres gotta be cooler ones than that

You drive a Tesla :lmao:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw one of those once parked up at the lidl, wondered what the hell it was. Are they actually like cars or are they more like a mobility scooter with extra bodywork?

I'd be terrified to turn a corner in one but I guess maybe they build them like forklifts.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Which I think is where the mistake comes from - if you live in a city, that implies a certain amount of wealth because of how much housing costs in cities and larger towns, as opposed to having to live in a lovely barratt homes suburb and drive in via the kind of A-roads cyclists would be murdered by white van drivers if they so much as looked at.

Cyclists in the types of fantasies referenced earlier are generally percieved as having ridden in from the nice suburbs by choice, rather than underpaid deliveroo people working their second gig to afford a flatshare on the dodgy end of town. It's another disconnect from reality that only works if you imagine Britain is nicer than it actually is.

Or probably they find cyclists annoying to drive around, and are backforming a reason to hate them.

I think most people just lived on the shithole estates. I assume other towns have them. Granted on teesside it's more like grades of shithole all the way through.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I saw one of those once parked up at the lidl, wondered what the hell it was. Are they actually like cars or are they more like a mobility scooter with extra bodywork?

Standard class 3 mobility scooters with extra bodywork, so you can legally use them at <4mph on the pavements and <8mph on the roads.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

er... yes. Which is very cool.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I think you'll find that fire tends to be very hot

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

this is in your budget

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Honestly half of them lack the object permenance to figure the full amount. They see x hundred a month and figure they can make room for that.

My wife's dad was delighted when she managed to consolidate a bunch of loans for him. She of course was astonished to find out he was still paying off loans from about three cars ago, at a nightmarish dealership APR rate.

He celebrated by going out and 'buying' another car.

E: 154 is the name of the 3rd album by the English post-punk band Wire.

My wife's parents got divorced, sold the house and each went out and bought a brand new Ford Fiesta on finance, because apparently buying new is "the cheapest way to do it". Neither of them are exactly what I would call "flush with cash" but yeah, there's a particular kind of collective madness when it comes to dealing with money, and also with cars, and when the two combine, you get extra double madness.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

dealing with old cars is also a ballache though.

I would always recommend buying pickup trucks secondhand though. Not worth it to buy new.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I cannot get my head around paying more than like £10k for a car. Even that seems absurdly unaffordable to me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I paid £5k for mine and I've had it about 5 years with no real issues, but they are horrible expensive things to run even with that in mind.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

lolling at a mobility vehicle having a bullbar, for mowing down the pedestrians

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm more aghast at it being five loving hundred pounds for it.

Also if you don't get the optional internal handles are you entombed in it like a dreadnought?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Microplastics posted:

They might renting that bike

or have nicked it

a good clue to this being the case is if it's a big lad pedalling along on a little child's bike w/ his knees coming up somewhere round his ears

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

fuctifino posted:

imagining the new range of cybertruck mobility scooters. to die for, and by for i mean in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Angepain posted:

imagining the new range of cybertruck mobility scooters. to die for, and by for i mean in

why would you die in it?