Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

MJP posted:

Any recs for restored Vacumatics other than Ebay and Etsy? The FPN "mall" seems to be just a retail storefront, not sure if there are other decent pen buy/sell/trade communities, groups, sites, etc.

Or alternatively if there's normal cartridge/converter stacked tube celluloid pens that look like the Vacs and aren't $800+ Viscontis, I'd love to get some recs.

Peyton Street Pens is a well-regarded pen restorer local-ish to me. I've bought pens from them and met them at the SF Pen Show. Looks like they have 52 Vacumatics right now: https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/search.php?search_query=vacumatic&section=product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I got a lovingly restored Parker Vacumatic from https://afrevapens.com/.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Seconding Peyton Street Pens. They do fantastic restoration work and their prices aren't too bad. They also specialize in restoring Sheaffer Touchdown and Snorkel fillers, if you're looking for interesting filling systems. My wife got me a PFM from them as an anniversary gift and I couldn't be happier with it's performance.

Here's their Vacumatic pens for sale: https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/vacumatic/

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Darn, neither of 'em has the azure stacked tube Vac. I can hit up Etsy or well regarded Ebay sellers, no biggie.

Are Vacs picky about ink or could I just get any modern non-iron gall ink and be happy?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

You should be fine with any modern ink. I would avoid Noodler's as some of the additives he puts into his pens can melt plastics in older pens.

And since you asked about modern stacked celluloid, one that just popped into my mind that is resin but trying for a similar look is the Leonardo Mosaico line: https://goldspot.com/collections/leonardo-mosaico

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Chip McFuck posted:

You should be fine with any modern ink. I would avoid Noodler's as some of the additives he puts into his pens can melt plastics in older pens.

And since you asked about modern stacked celluloid, one that just popped into my mind that is resin but trying for a similar look is the Leonardo Mosaico line: https://goldspot.com/collections/leonardo-mosaico

Ain't the same, unfortch. I'm just so freaking mad that somehow Visconti got their hands on all the world's remaining stacked tube/coin celluloid rods and only makes maybe 100 pens with it every 3 or 4 years. We mortals will never, ever get our hands on a modern stacked tube celluloid fountain pen and the demand to produce more simply isn't there. I want my skyline-lookin' FP without the Vacumatic filler :-/

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Classic Pens makes some nice, modern diffusion-bonded acrylics that are very similar. Monstrously expensive, though. Any reason you don't want a vac filler?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
R/pen_swap on Reddit is a decent place for trading pens, you can always check there. I … have bought a lot of pens there.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, it's a boring Delta, but it's a Delta nonetheless

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The color's pretty!

manglar
Jun 25, 2023
Got this Sheaffer's TD Valiant restored recently. I adore Touchdowns and I finally got around to sending this one in for restoration. I can replace ink sacs but my hands are not precise or unshaky enough for the o-ring in the back of the barrel; it just took me a while to admit this to myself. I think the gold accents and shiny black plastic (it's space age technology!) make this one a real looker.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

While cleaning my Lamy Alstar Orange a couple years ago I accidentally threw out the front section and nib. I’ve contacted a couple stores online about getting just that part and haven’t had any luck. Any advice on who I could turn to? I’d like to use this thing.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

While cleaning my Lamy Alstar Orange a couple years ago I accidentally threw out the front section and nib. I’ve contacted a couple stores online about getting just that part and haven’t had any luck. Any advice on who I could turn to? I’d like to use this thing.

So all you have is the cap and barrel?

I'd contact Lamy support directly to see what they offer, but if you strike out there your best bet is probably to monitor eBay for a good deal on a salvage/donor pen. or an affordable and high quality parts-compatible Chinese knockoff

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

You can get a spare nib unit through The Pen Company: https://www.thepencompany.com/en-us/product/lamy-al-star-nib-unit/ but it will cost about the same as a new pen.

Honestly, you're better off either finding a donor pen or just replacing the whole pen.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ms Cruft bought me a Lamy 2000 :love:

I put some of this Noodler's Nightshade in it and holy poo poo is it wet. Dumping about half the reservoir and filling it with water helped a lot.

It's a nice step up from the Safari I've been using for the last year, when I gave up on the craptastic Noodler's pens I'd been using for 5+ years.

Well, that's my fountain pen news!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

To anyone new to fountain pens or looking to get into fountain pens, I am giving away a few of the starter pens I accumulated over the years. Shipping on me, if nobody wants them they go to goodwill.

Edit: the pens found a new home!

Keetron fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 3, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I purchased a non-Delta fountain pen

I repeat, a non-Delta fountain pen.

But I got a pretty good deal on a Pilot Justus 95 with an adjustable nib, so I think I'll be okay.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I get using Noodlers ink if you already own it, but folks, stop buying from a nazi please.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

LionArcher posted:

I get using Noodlers ink if you already own it, but folks, stop buying from a nazi please.

We did this one already

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

At the rate I'm going through it, I'll have these three bottles I bought in 2007 until maybe 2080.

E: I just did a non-joke estimate and it's looking more like I run out of ink in 2180. I guess one bullet journal per year isn't actually much writing.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 7, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The only bottle of ink I bought from Noodlers spoiled before I got halfway through it.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Noodler's has definitely left the limelight this past year. I've watched everything that Goulet has put out in 2023 and the only inks that are mentioned are Noodler's Black and Noodler's Southwest Sunset. Both were mentioned because they were in the top of their ink sales, but they have been for the past 10+ years. Noodler's Black is also what Brian uses for the Nib Nook. Otherwise, their focus has largely been on their newer offerings. Sometimes you'll see pen youtubers using Noodler's inks, but it's usually due to their preferences. Mountain of Ink has ceased reviews for all Noodler's inks. FPN is ambivalent on Noodler's.

I haven't purchased any Noodler's inks in almost two years, but I'm going to have the 20ish bottles I picked up for a while. They are mostly black and blues; I guess I got most of the good batches of each ink. When doing my "Parade of Pens" in my letters to my Dad I at most have 2-3 Noodler's inks out of 25+ pens. Usually, Heart of Darkness, Navy, and Liberty Elysium are present. Diamine and Birmingham Pen Company have dominated my pens this past year.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

cruft posted:

At the rate I'm going through it, I'll have these three bottles I bought in 2007 until maybe 2080.

E: I just did a non-joke estimate and it's looking more like I run out of ink in 2180. I guess one bullet journal per year isn't actually much writing.

Oh, man, I need to do this but also keep in mind what ink I really use. For example, I am on my second bottle of platinum carbon black as I use it for drawing and painting. But some unusual colours I don’t think I will ever finish.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Whenever I find a Noodler's color that looks nice, I find a comparable shade from Robert Oster or Diamine and just get that instead. I don't think I'm going to worry about running out of ink any time soon.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i made a little stand for my pen and then i glued my crab to the top of it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Question for the thread, as I am looking to try getting back into calligraphy after a 20+ year break. I already own a TWSBI Diamond 580 and a Visconti Homo Sapiens for regular fountain pen writing things. I'm interested in either a nib I can swap out or if that's maybe not practical - a pen specifically for calligraphy. I would like the pen to be filled via my ink jars versus cartridges. I am left handed if that matters for nib style suggestions.

Thanks!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Goodness, that might be the most fountain pen-y av I've ever seen.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

cruft posted:

Goodness, that might be the most fountain pen-y av I've ever seen.

lol well now that you mention it :v:

I actually have no clue who got me the av but it seemed interesting and unique enough to leave to hangout next to my posts. Probably been there a few years now, I seem to recall it was early pandemic times?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

You're probably going to need to specify what kind of calligraphy. If you're doing blackletter then a set of Pilot Parallels are probably best. Otherwise it'll be a matter of finding some stub nibs that fit the kind of work you want to do.

If you're doing pointed letter calligraphy then there's not really any easy fountain pen option.You're likely best off with a dip pen. If you're intent on fountain pens you could look into creating a Frankenpen or something like the Osprey Zebra G holder add on they sell for their pens.

https://www.ospreypens.com/products/red-black-ripple-ebonite-milano-fountain-pen-with-standard-and-flex-nib-options

Vintage or Antique fountain pens are also an option. Due to the handwriting styles at the time a lot of early 20th century pens offer a flexible nib. This is probably the most expensive option though. There are also some modern nibs that claim to offer similar flexibility but quality and the truthfulness of that statement varies greatly

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Hmm I don't know enough about styles of calligraphy so I think I'll go hit up some youtubes to learn more and then return with further questions or a refined idea of what I want to try.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Look at Lamy Safari or Al-Stars, but basically the vast majority of their nibs are compatible and swappable. They make specific flat calligraphy nibs in 1.1mm/1.5mm/1.9mm sizes. I don't have any trouble with them left-handed.

Sankis posted:

If you're doing pointed letter calligraphy then there's not really any easy fountain pen option.
In theory Noodlers made some pens for this but ... they kinda suck. So agreed.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Yeah. There's constantly companies, like noodlers, chasing the dream but nothing has yet approached the quality of vintage nibs let alone dip pen nibs.

Then if you think about it calligraphy isn't writing so much as it is drawing letters. So you really don't even need the kind of ink reservoir a fountain pen would offer. I mean, I'm sure there's edge cases but it doesn't even really seem like a niche waiting to be filled.

keep in mind I've only dabbled in calligraphy and not an actual authority. this is just my impressions from dipping in (ha ha) and out of the hobby over the years

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 19, 2024

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

In theory Noodlers made some pens for this but ... they kinda suck. So agreed.

Oh, hey, I've got an Ahab I'm never gonna use! Want it, cool av OP? Goon discount: $0

E: actually, I'm going to give away all of 'em to the first fool goon who claims each one. The clear one here is a rollerball. Please ignore the Al-Star in the photo: I'm keeping that.

Please let me know which one you want, and you must also convince me that you understand these are janky pens, and you won't judge the entire technology by them.

The aqua one broke the little cap screw that holds in the pocket clip, and I super glued it back together. So that part is weak.

I would provide writing samples, but :effort: and also you're gonna want to tweak the nib immediately anyway.

You can feel better knowing I bought them before the Noodler's guy went on the record as a jerk!

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 19, 2024

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I would adore the purple Nib Creaper. And the ebonite- Neponset, I am guessing, but if it's one per I will take the Creaper.

Edit: I have had the dubious pleasure of dealing with Noodlers pens before, and understand the work that must be done if they are to work. If they work.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Volkova III posted:

I would adore the purple Nib Creaper. And the ebonite- Neponset, I am guessing, but if it's one per I will take the Creaper.

Edit: I have had the dubious pleasure of dealing with Noodlers pens before, and understand the work that must be done if they are to work. If they work.

Purple is not a creaper, it's an earlier one that doesn't appear to be named, and has a non-flex nib. Pulling the nib and feed out is super easy with this pen, so there's that. If you still want it, it's yours. I love the look of those piston-fill pens, whatever they were called, but I had to rehydrate the reservoir every 3 days or so, which just got to be too much of a pain in the rear end.

I'll throw the green/black ebonite one in too (I think that's the one you wanted) if nobody else expresses an interest in it! I know a lot of people are put off by the smell of these ebonite pens, but I thought it was a neat aspect of the experience.

PM me your address and I'll try to get around to shipping stuff out in the next 7 days :)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just how much fiddling do they require, anyway? Like, what counts as fiddling?

Unrelated to the above, but I stumbled across Mitasanahodo, an ink manufacturer in Japan who bottles it in cut-glass bottles and I am in love! Now if only I could find out how to actually order such prettily-packaged ink...

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Oh hey look I did make a writing sample earlier, albeit with different inks. This is probably on laserjet printer paper, which I have since learned is THE WORST for wet pens/inks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Just how much fiddling do they require, anyway? Like, what counts as fiddling?

No idea, I'm not enough of a fountain pen enthusiast that I ever wanted to screw around with the nib to make it work. However, I do recall the Noodler's guy at the time being pretty up front that you were going to want to adjust the nib right away, because he didn't.

It's possible that with a skilled nib adjustment these would all be great pens. But the reservoir on them dries out so damned fast that I couldn't deal with them in any case. Maybe that will be better if you live somewhere with over 7% humidity.

If anybody's interested, I'm now using a Lamy 2000 that MY WIFE bought me last month, I'll probably use the Al-Star as a backup or travel pen, and that Mont Blanc my father gave me is going to sit on a shelf until somebody in my family line needs money.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 19, 2024

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
if you're asking how much fiddling they require, the answer is usually "too much". you can get perfectly fine pens for basically the same price as the Noodler's that require no fiddling, so the Noodler's pens are only for people interested in the experience of fiddling itself.

That said, I have one of those Hebdo pens I got with a bottle of HoD, and it worked alright with some heat-setting of the feed and nib. I stopped using it because, while I don't mind the smell that much, I gained an office-mate who I didn't want to risk bothering with the smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

NGL that all sounds awful. I prefer my pen-fiddling to involve figuring out which of the too many inks we have that I want to use next!

I can pull the nib off a Safari to get glitter out of it but that's about as far as I go.