Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Vargo posted:

gently caress it, I'll say it: Randy Mulholland is tumblr smol bean Guy Gilchrist.

Okay not to bait the bear, but has Randy ever sexually harassed someone or redone some strip with religious/Trumpy overtones?

Because I think you need to take that poo poo back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay not to bait the bear, but has Randy ever sexually harassed someone or redone some strip with religious/Trumpy overtones?

I assume they meant "Gilchrist's obsession with lore and old characters plus tumbr politics" rather than "twee MAGA hat guy."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Per dana simpson she's the top selling comic author in america. goes to show how powerful those scholastic book fairs are
I know when I was a kid I would buy my Garfield collections from those book fairs. I kept them for a pretty long time as well, the 80s Garf was really good.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

it's a memoir. this is meaningfully different from out our way how
Nobody's giving a cowboy an overly nostalgic handjob every fifth strip.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (February 22-24, 2005)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Huh, "not sure if he's evil or just unsettling on a genetic level" is how my 4th grade teacher described me.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that despite it being a college strip, I'm enjoying Thorn, and similarly I'm enjoying Mousetrapped with the caveat of it's been running for less than a month and seems to be actually building a story, so I'm giving it time. If it still feels like it's in the setup phase in a couple months I'll bitch.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Weembles posted:

I assume they meant "Gilchrist's obsession with lore and old characters plus tumbr politics" rather than "twee MAGA hat guy."

Even there, Randy boldly resisted the urge to redo Castor as 6-foot-4 and full of muscles.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 4, 1936)

Peanuts (January 20, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Now, where were we on Li'l Abner? Oh yeah, a possibly-phony minister was trying to break up a happy marriage for a quick payday. (September 2-4, 1935)

So many talents coming into play to pull of these swindles, it makes you wonder why he doesn't just doesn't get a nightclub gig.

Thimble Theater (August 22, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

That three-eyed plant monster looks so happy, even if he is aiming for a bag of walking gristle.

Out Our Way (November 1-3, 1943)

Mousetrapped

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 19, 2024

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

readingatwork posted:

Big Nate

I normally hate love triangles but in this case I kind of appreciate that Chad is at the center of it. Weird kids with some kind of learning disability deserve to experience bullshit romance cliches too.

Who does Gina like, Chad?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Samovar posted:

Hold the phone, why is Arn not heir?

He wanted to go gently caress around on the beach with his friends and all the courtiers following him around were cramping his style, so he gave the throne to the baby. He still has Thule as a backup throne.

Mercury Hat posted:

It's hilarious that she's been getting paid for this snooping and meddling by working as that guy's model the whole time.

And even more hilarious that he's known the whole time that she's there to snoop and meddle but he's like, "She's got really good legs though."

Luann

Gil Thorp

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

"the ncaa"

i have no idea why that's galling me as much as it is, we already knew he knows nothing about college sports with the gardening stuff

and yet

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Really enjoying the hell out of Mexikid and NuFlash. The wedding reception has been a great at showing off hints about what the other characters are about, and it's not afraid to show off how even Flash has his flaws.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Considering how Rudy and the gardening team cheat all the time, I'm not sure why these two are even worried. They'll just slip the players some DNA potions and win.

Alhazred posted:

So they helped a dangerous criminal avoid justice because it server their financial interests. Somehow they're still the good guys.

lol I was thinking the same thing. Holbrook has a knack for making his 'heroes' utterly detestable. It's even weirder because I think these set of strips are written during or after 2016, so someone who likes to think they're progressive like Holbrook would have heard all about Trump's actions and how he should go to jail.

Hostile V posted:

Listen, did they help a notorious serial murderer lie low while also doing bare minimum due diligence to keep future victims safe from him while also letting him make a mockery of the justice system by letting his double die behind bars? Yes. Is the industrialized rapacious murder company now being headed by a substantially more ruthless strategist who wants to commit genocide on her own species because she's a race-faking traitor? Also yes.

It's weird, but I kind of like Angelique. Yeah, she's awful, but she's honest about being a terrible person who does all kinds of poo poo. She comes across better than the supposed good guys and their hypocrisy.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I love that the bats have their cocktails upside down.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 15, 2002)

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What the gently caress is a "bow wow app"

E: I get that a bow wow is a dog, but "bow wow app" is one of the dumbest and clunkiest phrases I have ever heard.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jan 19, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dredging up and integrating minor details from your material's past without ever nailing the basics of the strip's premise? Sounds like splendid qualification to write Dick Tracy!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Comic Strips 2024: Delete's bow-wow app

Don't actually do this, I'd get mad every time I see it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
God drat Gunther is pathetic. That panel 3 is just.. wow. This is a manchild that convinced himself he could do better because his partner disagreed with him once, then realized that actually people who are 90% in sync with you don't show up often and you better learn to compromise on those differences. Uhhh please don't leave me I'm happy I'm happy.

Perhaps Bets is realizing she had the power to choose better all along. Not like she can't go right back to what she likes.

It's just a really weird and stupid relationship because the Evans' tried to tie it into the modern day streamer culture but imagine if you had some 1-3m subscriber vtuber listening to their boyfriend tell them to shape up or ship out, even passive aggressively. They might realize hey, lotta fish in the sea? Infatuated fans aren't a high standard of quality, sure, but it does let you think that maybe you aren't dependent on the guy who doesn't understand compromise.

Then again maybe this is great writing all along because it is 100% accurate to the dipshit nerd guy who gaslights himself into thinking he's better than the manic pixie dream girl who found him until he breaks the relationship.

Bets feels vulnerable and listless because she just majorly disrupted her routine and gave up a source of pride and mental stimulation(projects, media management, etc.) Gun's first thought is that it sure is inconvenient, but he likes having a girlfriend, but he also was attracted to her for many of the same qualities she just gave up. Really syncs up with his earlier weasely giddiness that she was doing worse without him.

Maybe I'm biased because it's very easy to dislike Gunther but when is the last time he offered some genuine support?

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 19, 2024

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

What the gently caress is a "bow wow app"

E: I get that a bow wow is a dog, but "bow wow app" is one of the dumbest and clunkiest phrases I have ever heard.

not only is it absolutely nothing, but he keeps using that phrase

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

someone awful. posted:

not only is it absolutely nothing, but he keeps using that phrase

I swear to god I wish I could understand Boyce.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 30, 1961)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:smuggo:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Doomykins posted:

It's just a really weird and stupid relationship because the Evans' tried to tie it into the modern day streamer culture but imagine if you had some 1-3m subscriber vtuber listening to their boyfriend tell them to shape up or ship out, even passive aggressively. They might realize hey, lotta fish in the sea? Infatuated fans aren't a high standard of quality, sure, but it does let you think that maybe you aren't dependent on the guy who doesn't understand compromise.

In real life, Gunther would also be getting burned in effigy online as the rear end in a top hat who muzzled Popular Streamer Bets.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

fondue posted:

Who does Gina like, Chad?

Yup. She's apparently been holding a torch for this little goofy goblin classmate and never made her feelings known.

If you're at the point where you wonder why you're still together, you do in fact have to consider if you'd be happier apart, even if it's scary. Perhaps especially if it's scary. You can't have a happy relationship on Status Quo alone.

Doomykins posted:

Maybe I'm biased because it's very easy to dislike Gunther but when is the last time he offered some genuine support?

Basically never. As soon as things stopped going the way they were planned (or he imagined them going), he pulled away from Bets.
I honestly think that this long, drawn-out trash fire of a relationship is realistic in a very specific kind of way.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 19, 2024

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(10/15/1993)

(10/16/1993)

Ziggy

(7/24/1971)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/18/04

I wonder if the "glass litterbox" thing is a reference to the art installation that had Tilda Swinton sleeping in a glass box for 15 hours.

Brenda Starr 6/19-21/52

Smokey Stover 4/15/59

Everyday Movies 2/27/37

"The noive of some people -- just because I'm a radical he thinks he can take me home the foist time he meets me. He hasn't the right ideology."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 12/17-19/42

Veronica, huh? You'd think the heir to the Lodge fortune would be above this sort of thing.

Closer Than We Think! 4/15/59

Space-based weapons were banned by the SALT II treaty in 1979.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

It's weird, but I kind of like Angelique. Yeah, she's awful, but she's honest about being a terrible person who does all kinds of poo poo. She comes across better than the supposed good guys and their hypocrisy.

same here. I hate how he draws her though.

honest evil is better than dishonest evil.

she reminds me of anthony's ex in FOOB. the one he forced to have a kid and then was shocked she didn't turn into homebody mommy.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Forum accident posted:

Frank and Ernest

confirmed: octopi on Mars

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Rose is Rose might be Petey's inspiration as a graphic novelist.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (August 22, 1940)

Oh cool, a prequel to Umineko

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Breadmaster posted:

My high school did a Little Shop of Horrors production where we (as in cast and crew highschoolers) designed and built the set and costumes. We had the flowershop on a pivot point with wheels, so it could be turned around for scene changes by just pushing on one end. This did have a flaw, however, when the piece that actually lets it pivot wasn't slotted in place for one show, and 8 people had to shove that thing into position while the live music stalled for time.
The Audrey 2 puppets were real good too. That director pushed for all the bells and whistles.

We did Little Shop in high school too. One of my all time favorite things I did in school. I got to be one of the puppeteers on the big Audrey (probably 7ft tall). No rotating stage, but we did have a real motorcycle for the dentist bits.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

I'm suddenly reminded of the "Blue Velma" debacle of a few years back People were pointing out how much Sadness from Inside Out looked like a palette swapped Velma, especially fan art

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Oh cool, a prequel to Umineko

this has been the running joke between me and my friend whenever the sea hag's shown up this storyline

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So Wallace and Spud are going to the Imaginary Friend Realm to do battle with Gary and nobody thought it was worth commenting on? You all disappoint me. Do better.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

readingatwork posted:

So Wallace and Spud are going to the Imaginary Friend Realm to do battle with Gary and nobody thought it was worth commenting on? You all disappoint me. Do better.

One person mentioned he didn’t like it I think.
I’m all in on imagination battle time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well I'll have to see what Will Henry makes of it before I really say I don't like it. :v: He's never steered me wrong so far.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, April 20-25, 1983

No one wants to see your phony bone, Phoney Bone.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I swear to god I wish I could understand Boyce.

Don't say things like that, the universe has a wicked sense of humor and will grant your wish by giving you some kind of head injury. :ohdear:

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 30, 1961)

"You saved our lives, sir! Uh... can we please have a shitload of money too?"

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 4/15/59

Space-based weapons were banned by the SALT II treaty in 1979.

The rocket engine with 1.5 million pounds of thrust was the Rocketdyne F-1, which a decade later would power the first stage of the Saturn V sending astronauts to the moon. (It never became retrievable, though.)

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Oil of Olay dropped the "Oil" part of their name about 25 years ago. :eng101:

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

Aura really needs to have a word with her palace door guards.