Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Just track your dependencies better, OP.
How so?

Here's the build error:
pre:
===> share/zoneinfo (install)
mkdir -p /usr/share/zoneinfo
(cd /usr/share/zoneinfo;  mkdir -p Africa  America/Argentina  America/Indiana  America/Kentucky  America/North_Dakota  Antarctica  Arctic  Asia  Atlantic  Australia  Etc  Europe  Indian  Pacif
ic US Mexico Chile Canada Brazil)
for f in `cat zonefiles`; do  install   -o root -g wheel -m 444  /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/${f} /usr/share/zoneinfo/${f};  done
install: /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/Africa/Abidjan: No such file or directory
*** [install-zoneinfo] Error code 71

make[5]: stopped in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
1 error

make[5]: stopped in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo

make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/share

make[3]: stopped in /usr/src

make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
       57.34 real        28.19 user        30.09 sys
*** [installworld] Error code 2

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
1 error

make[1]: stopped in /usr/src

make: stopped in /usr/src
It wasn't a race condition either, because I was running installworld with just one job.

If I'd run make cleandir, that probably would've been all that would've been required - and if not, then recreating the ZFS dataset surely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you need to clean to fix the build, your dependencies aren’t tracked appropriately, because there’s nothing saying to rebuild some relevant artifact. Other than clock skew or manually loving with artifacts and their timestamps, it’s the only thing that can cause a clean to be required. Pretty much by definition.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

If you need to clean to fix the build, your dependencies aren’t tracked appropriately, because there’s nothing saying to rebuild some relevant artifact. Other than clock skew or manually loving with artifacts and their timestamps, it’s the only thing that can cause a clean to be required. Pretty much by definition.
Zonefiles aren't in CLEANFILES, presumably because they're part of a vendor import.
Question is, does IANA have some way of tracking it?

I still would've actually needed to remember the cleandir target for BSD make, though.

There's exactly one existing report of this being an issue, that dates back to 2017 - so it's a pretty infrequent bug to hit.
I'm gonna spend some time figuring out who to talk about it with.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 16, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"Fix your dependency tracking" really means "fix your makefiles". But it sounds like BSD didn't write this software? So you're SOL.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

"Fix your dependency tracking" really means "fix your makefiles". But it sounds like BSD didn't write this software? So you're SOL.
Well, I’ve written to sjg@, so we’ll see what happens.

While yes, it isn’t something I wrote (it’s the internet timezone database, maintained by IANA), it shouldn’t be capable of breaking the build in this way.

Ultimately it’s a very rare bug, because there’s only a single result on the wider web.
EDIT: And that result appears to be a different bug with a simple race condition, which doesn’t apply here, as I wasn’t using any jobs for the install target.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 16, 2024

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We joke a lot about Linux and other Unixes being an unusable mess, but I just had a sublime moment of desktop usability. My phone rang and KDE automatically paused the music on my desktop so I could take the call. That's the desktop automation I want, not some "AI assistant" to tell me the weather like I'm illiterate.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

spiritual bypass posted:

We joke a lot about Linux and other Unixes being an unusable mess, but I just had a sublime moment of desktop usability. My phone rang and KDE automatically paused the music on my desktop so I could take the call. That's the desktop automation I want, not some "AI assistant" to tell me the weather like I'm illiterate.

Linux - Get the Apple experience of 2010 today!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lobsterminator posted:

Linux - Get the Apple experience of 2010 today!

New thread title

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah kde connect owns, i've been using it since 2014 i think

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
but you're using KDE so overall its a wash at best.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

spiritual bypass posted:

My housemate booted up their Win 11 laptop the other day and called out, "wtf is copilot? Is this a virus?"

Microsoft has been pushing out automatic updates with an unfinished preview version of Bing Chat that lives in the systray and pops over from the right. It's ridiculous.

Welcome to the new age of the command line on the premier desktop platform. I for one cannot wait for the next version of Gnome where the only way disable this is through a regedit gsettings hack:
Welcome to Copilot in Windows

support.microsoft.com posted:

Windows is the first PC platform to provide centralized AI assistance to you. Together with Microsoft Copilot (formerly Bing Chat), Copilot in Windows helps you get answers and inspirations from across the web, supports creativity and collaboration, and helps you focus on the task at hand. Do more with Copilot in Windows!

## Get started with Copilot in Windows

To get started, just select the new button on the taskbar to launch Copilot in Windows, or press  + C. Copilot in Windows connects to Microsoft Copilot (previously known as Bing Chat) using the same Microsoft account or Microsoft Entra account used to sign-in to Windows. When you use a work or school account, your experience may be a little different. For more information, see the Copilot in Windows: work and school accounts section.

Note: If you're signed in with a local account, Copilot in Windows isn't available.

## Interact with Copilot in Windows  

Copilot in Windows appears as a side bar docked to the right. It doesn't overlap with your desktop content and runs unobstructed alongside your open app windows allowing you to interact with Copilot in Windows anytime you need.

## Chatting with Copilot in Windows  

You can ask Copilot in Windows a range of questions, from simple to complex. If you want to call your family in Cyprus, you can quickly check the local time to make sure you’re not waking them up in the middle of the night. Want to plan a trip to visit them in Cyprus? Ask Copilot in Windows to find flights and accommodations for mid-winter break. While you're typing into the chat pane, Microsoft Copilot provides autocomplete assistance to make chatting easier. Just use Tab to accept the suggested text. To start fresh with a new chat thread, use the New topic button to clear your previous chat conversation.  

Copilot in Windows has the ability to use the context from Microsoft Edge to enhance the response. You can ask it to summarize a webpage you're viewing without having to provide the website address or copy and paste long text. Copilot in Windows integrates with the clipboard and provides the ability to drag and drop images to provide rich interaction, allowing you to get things done faster.

Three different chat tones are available for Copilot in Windows. You can toggle the tone of chat from Precise, which focuses on shorter, more search-focused answers, to Creative, which gives responses that are longer and more descriptive. The middle setting, Balanced, is somewhere in-between. 

## Copilot in Windows can help you be more efficient

Copilot in Windows allows you to perform common tasks and change settings in Windows. Change your Windows theme from light to dark mode, turn on do not disturb, or add Bluetooth devices. You can even open apps, organize your app windows, and more!

### Change Windows settings

In the chat pane try any of these:

• Turn on dark mode
  • Mute volume
  • Change wallpaper

### Perform common tasks

In the chat pane try any of these:

• Take a screenshot
  • Set a focus timer for 30 minutes
  • Open File Explorer
  • Snap my windows

### Launch troubleshooters

In the chat pane try any of these:

• Why isn't my audio working?
  • My camera isn't working
  • I can't update my device

Yeah let me just type in "mute my volume"

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

My housemate booted up their Win 11 laptop the other day and called out, "wtf is copilot? Is this a virus?"

Microsoft has been pushing out automatic updates with an unfinished preview version of Bing Chat that lives in the systray and pops over from the right. It's ridiculous.

Welcome to the new age of the command line on the premier desktop platform. I for one cannot wait for the next version of Gnome where the only way disable this is through a regedit gsettings hack:
Welcome to Copilot in Windows

Yeah let me just type in "mute my volume"

I have friends who work at Microsoft and they, too, are sick of Copilot.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cruft posted:

I have friends who work at Microsoft and they, too, are sick of Copilot.

It's a shame it looks like it will leave a keyboard key behind to bother us long after the project itself is gone.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I really don't trust an LLM to execute arbitrary commands on my system.

Yes copilot, I would like to delete everything in this directory.

"Roger roger! executing sudo rm -rf /*"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

other people posted:

but you're using KDE so overall its a wash at best.

I run KDE Connect on my Windows machines, too. It really is just super handy and effective.

Also, I run KDE on my Linux machines and I like it. :mad:

Edit: Also, I figured out that you can install KDE Connect from the Windows Store, which gets around me not having admin rights on my desktop at the office. :smuggo:

Of course why Windows lets me install software as a regular user as long as I do it from their store is a question unto itself.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 18, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Of course why Windows lets me install software as a regular user as long as I do it from their store is a question unto itself.

Same reason why you don't need sudo to install flatpaks on Linux: MS store apps live in folders under your home directory and are not allowed to touch protected folders.

Another option, when using a corporate laptop with no admin rights, is to find a valid reason to enable WSL and/or WSA (the Android emulator), then you can install whatever you want inside those systems.

(I'm fortunate enough that my corporate is fairly reasonable and all I need to sudo poo poo is to log a message describing what I'm about to do, in case IT needs to unfuck my machine later)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

NihilCredo posted:

Same reason why you don't need sudo to install flatpaks on Linux: MS store apps live in folders under your home directory and are not allowed to touch protected folders.

Another option, when using a corporate laptop with no admin rights, is to find a valid reason to enable WSL and/or WSA (the Android emulator), then you can install whatever you want inside those systems.

(I'm fortunate enough that my corporate is fairly reasonable and all I need to sudo poo poo is to log a message describing what I'm about to do, in case IT needs to unfuck my machine later)

NihilCredo is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

man I've been trying to set up some container (not with docker) that uses dbus and im trying to avoid it writing anything to ~/.dbus but it looks like it's hardcoded to write to ~/.dbus. users want to mount host ~ into ~ (and it does by default). however it starts loving with my own computer when it does that. sucks!! why would you hardcode this? Also clutter in home sucks generally.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/tools/dbus-launch-x11.c#L208
code:
#define DBUS_DIR ".dbus"

strcpy (dir, home);
  strcat (dir, "/");
  strcat (dir, DBUS_DIR);
(https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=5611)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Why do you need dbus?

https://github.com/containers/podman/discussions/16772 seems like there may be some gotchas

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

Why do you need dbus?

https://github.com/containers/podman/discussions/16772 seems like there may be some gotchas

running vnc + xfce + gui app. it has mostly worked so far because everyone else is just using this one remote machine they rarely use, but when I'm testing on my own computer, poo poo gets weird because I also use xfce there. I may just change the bind mounts so it doesn't launch with $HOME:$HOME, but then people are like "help I can't see my files." It's also not super healthy to have it read your bashrc and profile I'm sure.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

man I've been trying to set up some container (not with docker) that uses dbus and im trying to avoid it writing anything to ~/.dbus but it looks like it's hardcoded to write to ~/.dbus. users want to mount host ~ into ~ (and it does by default). however it starts loving with my own computer when it does that. sucks!! why would you hardcode this? Also clutter in home sucks generally.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/tools/dbus-launch-x11.c#L208
code:
#define DBUS_DIR ".dbus"

strcpy (dir, home);
  strcat (dir, "/");
  strcat (dir, DBUS_DIR);

:argh:

Could you symlink $HOME/.dbus to /run/$USER/dbus?

Or... could you set $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/tools/dbus-launch-x11.c#L407 I'm not entirely sure what I'm reading here, but maybe that'd work?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mawarannahr posted:

running vnc + xfce + gui app. it has mostly worked so far because everyone else is just using this one remote machine they rarely use, but when I'm testing on my own computer, poo poo gets weird because I also use xfce there. I may just change the bind mounts so it doesn't launch with $HOME:$HOME, but then people are like "help I can't see my files." It's also not super healthy to have it read your bashrc and profile I'm sure.

Square peg round hole imo, just use normal desktop facilities / systemd etc

Not everything needs to run in a container.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

Square peg round hole imo, just use normal desktop facilities / systemd etc

Not everything needs to run in a container.

This absolutely does. I would not want to be doing this if I didn't have to.
- no sudo on host
- host packages are old anyway
- need to run a program with a million dependencies and an X11 gui
- no X installed on the host
- X forwarding too slow for the job
- no VNC installed on the host
- can build and run containers on the host
- user needs to be able to run a single command that gives them a SSH connection string they can copy-pastr to launch a tunnel, then point their vnc viewer on Windows or macOS at it

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I have the impression that there's an easier way to do that (ssh tunnel and stuff) but anyway.

I had to, at one point, launch an UI application from a container and wanted it to have a dbus connection as well. Instead of fighting to find the correct incantation for podman, I just used x11docker from https://github.com/mviereck/x11docker . It does whatever it does to pass the right thing to the container. My preset file for it was:
pre:
--backend=podman
--hostdbus
--hostdisplay
--gpu=direct
--pulseaudio=host
--ipc=host
--share ~/.config
and was launching my application with x11docker --preset=<name> container:tag and it just worked.

Now, you definitely do not need all those params (pulseaudio and stuff), I just pasted them for completeness because I have no idea what else besides "hostdbus" was actually needed. In github you can look to see what it actually does in there if you feel like it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If I need to use a gui application in a container I just use distrobox?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Well, you don't need to launch a UI application with x11docker, but it was able to provide a connection to dbus, so I thought it may be helpful. I never used distrobox but if it can do that too, then sure, whatever works.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

code:
#define DBUS_DIR ".dbus"

strcpy (dir, home);
  strcat (dir, "/");
  strcat (dir, DBUS_DIR);

That's the default fallback if $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS isn't set.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I think mawarannahr is trying to set something specific up for a userbase. If I were to guess, I'd say it was some sort of obscure visualization software for the output of a compute job on a cluster.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Or... could you set $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbus/dbus/-/blob/master/tools/dbus-launch-x11.c#L407 I'm not entirely sure what I'm reading here, but maybe that'd work?

pseudorandom name posted:

That's the default fallback if $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS isn't set.

Hey mawarannahr, I think you need to set $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS :)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

mawarannahr posted:

This absolutely does. I would not want to be doing this if I didn't have to.
- no sudo on host
- host packages are old anyway
- need to run a program with a million dependencies and an X11 gui
- no X installed on the host
- X forwarding too slow for the job
- no VNC installed on the host
- can build and run containers on the host
- user needs to be able to run a single command that gives them a SSH connection string they can copy-pastr to launch a tunnel, then point their vnc viewer on Windows or macOS at it

Hmmm, did you try setting $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS?

Real answer is this what your trying to do / get started?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52284171/running-desktop-enviroment-in-docker-in-headless-linux

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 19, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Huh, neat: suse now has a variant of their Tumbleweed rolling-release called "Slowroll", which shifts updates into big monthly chunks rather than constant package updates. (Except for security updates, which come right away.)

As someone who picked Manjaro based on their sales pitch of "rolling release but with delays for testing", but found that Manjaro really doesn't have testing for poo poo, this is intriguing to me.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

cruft posted:

Hey mawarannahr, I think you need to set $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS :)

Nope, when it's set explicitly it is still creating it even if it doesn't use it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mr. Crow posted:

Hmmm, did you try setting $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS?

Real answer is this what your trying to do / get started?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52284171/running-desktop-enviroment-in-docker-in-headless-linux

It (vnc on container) has been working for some time, but dbus is writing stuff to a place I would rather it not do, and it can't launch if it can't write there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Klyith posted:

Huh, neat: suse now has a variant of their Tumbleweed rolling-release called "Slowroll", which shifts updates into big monthly chunks rather than constant package updates. (Except for security updates, which come right away.)

As someone who picked Manjaro based on their sales pitch of "rolling release but with delays for testing", but found that Manjaro really doesn't have testing for poo poo, this is intriguing to me.

Okay, I was unaware of that, but it sounds promising. I keep meaning to shift this machine from 15.4 to Tumbleweed, but I delay due to the frequency of big 100+ item updates, and the attendant version mismatches that can happen because I have some stuff installed from packman which require manual intervention in the update process. Spacing them out a bit sounds like it would address some of my few minor annoyances with Tumbleweed.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
With Fedora dropping xorg support for 40, I'm thinking of jumping to OpenSUSE at least until Nvidia behaves better on Wayland, or I finally need to replace my 3080 and get an AMD card.

I'd like to keep my /home directory intact without having to do a bunch of work. I have /home on a btrfs subvolume in Fedora. Since OpenSUSE uses btrfs, can I just point to the old subvolume when I need to set up a new /home during install? Or should I just copy everything to a USB drive and move it over after install?

I'm not too worried about bringing /etc or anything over since I'm afraid of what it'd break and since it's just a desktop, the most work I've done there is some changes to fstab.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

If you want to stick on Fedora you could try UBlue which is just some tweaks to the base image of silverblue/kinoite to include stuff like nvidia support in the image (if you install that version.). They will be retaining X11 support for F40 for their nvidia builds

The nice thing is, since it's ostree based, you can just

rpm-ostree rebase

back to regular silverblue if you decide you are done with it, no need to reinstall. Works more or less like just switching which image a docker container is set to use.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Well Played Mauer posted:

With Fedora dropping xorg support for 40, I'm thinking of jumping to OpenSUSE at least until Nvidia behaves better on Wayland, or I finally need to replace my 3080 and get an AMD card.

I'd like to keep my /home directory intact without having to do a bunch of work. I have /home on a btrfs subvolume in Fedora. Since OpenSUSE uses btrfs, can I just point to the old subvolume when I need to set up a new /home during install? Or should I just copy everything to a USB drive and move it over after install?

I'm not too worried about bringing /etc or anything over since I'm afraid of what it'd break and since it's just a desktop, the most work I've done there is some changes to fstab.

Technically there is always a way.

But why not take this opportunity to back up this important directory? Then you can test your backup by restoring it to a new OS install.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The thing about Xorg is that it's effectively become nothing more than Xwayland upstream anyways. Like they finally added tear-free support for the modesetting driver but they haven't cut a stable release of it, so the only way you can run Xorg without screen tearing is if the driver supports it (as the intel driver long did, but that's no longer supported on modern Intel hardware) or to run an external compositor, which itself is fine, but a bit heavy handed if the only reason you're running a compositor is to avoid screen tearing.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

cruft posted:

Technically there is always a way.

But why not take this opportunity to back up this important directory? Then you can test your backup by restoring it to a new OS install.

Time to learn rclone for the Synology. God dammit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Well Played Mauer posted:

Time to learn rclone for the Synology. God dammit!

May I suggest restic for your backups? It is more geared toward backing up and not only syncing. I am using it with an rclone backend.