Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

funko pop game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

someone is going to want to gently caress the pal animals

Going to?

I'm sure someone already wants to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

slay the princess was pretty good. i've beaten 17 games this month (i'm unemployed lol) and it ranks at the top probably. strangeland was also pretty good

weakest game i've played so far was House Builder but i knew going in that it was not going to be much more than a chill podcast game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

funko pop game

Saw the art style described as “the kroger people” and can’t stop thinking about that

Orv
May 4, 2011
It’s not exactly new to make games out of inherently horrific things like war or stuff like Frostpunk where there are basically only less bad options but I feel like creating a trailer that screams vibes of the inherent inescapibility and crushing dread of the US prison system is, maybe, a bit much.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah, Prison Architect was always on thin ice but I felt like Introversion mostly stayed on the right side of the line with it. This feels *very* much on the wrong side.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

reminds me also of the early 2000s when everyone had to make their game 3D because it was the new thing, and many failed

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

HopperUK posted:

I might install Palworld on Gamepass to have a look, but I saw someone describing it as 'this is what it would be like if magical creatures existed in the real world! People would be cruel and psychopathic about them!' and it sounds deeply unappealing as a premise. Great more cruelty, that's what I want in my games.

all the violence is kind of low key, kiddy stuff and the whole "butchering" is just a way to get 2x drops from a caught creature and the whole thing is hidden behind a big pixeled censor

I imagine the mod scene will get pretty weird pretty quick

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

pentyne posted:

I imagine the mod scene will get pretty weird pretty quick

Hwurmp posted:

someone is going to want to gently caress the pal animals

:hmmyes:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

haldolium posted:

reminds me also of the early 2000s when everyone had to make their game 3D because it was the new thing, and many failed

Love wrestling with the camera in building games.

I have no idea why they went 3d other than to establish a point of difference from the first game.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Prison Architect should have been quietly forgotten. Literally could have done any other sandbox _____ Architect game for a sequel. Baffling

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sweatshop Architect

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dog Fighting Manager 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it always seemed in very poor taste to me but it was a big enough success that the original devs were able to sell the rights to paradox after their next game flopped, which is why there's now a direct sequel that no one seems thrilled about instead of anything else

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Child Protective Services Sim 2024

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

HopperUK posted:

I might install Palworld on Gamepass to have a look, but I saw someone describing it as 'this is what it would be like if magical creatures existed in the real world! People would be cruel and psychopathic about them!' and it sounds deeply unappealing as a premise. Great more cruelty, that's what I want in my games.

That's why I'm going to be nice to my offbrand pokemon and EXTRA cruel with the human enemies :getin:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

All my pals will be paid a living wage and I will not eat any of them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

RandomBlue posted:

All my pals will be paid a living wage and I will not eat any of them.

Boy if I had a nickel

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Many months ago, during a Steam NextFest, I ran across a Chinese Sci-Fi visual novel with map-painting elements called Lightracer Spark. I've been following its development since then and it just released its second DLC, Stars Will, into English yesterday. Note: Contrary to what I initially believed when the devs initially announced their DLC structure, both are free and are really more just content patches that finish off the game.

Reviews confirm that ultimately the mechanics remain too insubstantial to even be the lightweight reverse-Terra Invicta/Disco Elysium mashup I'd been hoping for from the premise (you are a probe sent from an advanced civilization to try and uplift other civilizations in order to contribute to a big fight happening at the end of the universe, but part of things going wonky on your arrival is that your subroutines are a little less integrated than they should have been and might butt in), and the devs are planning on going back to the drawing board and starting from scratch with their next game rather than continue to try and save said system. But there is at least now a complete story and it looks interesting enough to spend $13 on for the novelty, if nothing else.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sab669 posted:

Going to?

Just wait til they come across the Pals who want to gently caress you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I can sort of see the appeal of Prison Architect in that once you get deep in the weeds, there's a lot of interrelated stuff to tinker with that makes it a good sim. But obviously it's a rough subject to try and tackle with grace. I feel like the original game stayed relatively neutral, for better or worse, but seeing it get further exploited by Paradox does pretty quickly take the shine off, however much was even there to begin with.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't usually play Bethesda-style games but Avowed being set in the Pillars of Eternity setting (particularly, an area neither of the two games got to explore) is supremely tempting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huh. Hadn't heard of Avowed before. Keeping an eye on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really hope Avowed is good and I like everything they said in the overview video, but the game itself just looked…clumsy? Like the NPCs that just stare at you while almost having lip-sync, and the way the PC holds their arms out in front of them all the time

maybe I’m just being too critical

(lol though at the big purple spell that surrounds a beast who just…topples over as though narcoleptic)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Really digging the world design in that avowed video, gave me the same stranger-in-a-strange land feeling like Morrowind, early WoW, or Elden Ring.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, getting back to that setting from a different angle is very appealing.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Sab669 posted:

Going to?

Good news for those people

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also the first trailer for the Indiana Jones game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e17p2IVDUU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Love that low effort Troy Baker barely-impression

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

There's also the first trailer for the Indiana Jones game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e17p2IVDUU

Will we ever improve on the lovely Skyrim faces and animations? 15 years go by and it's like, no progress has been made in this whatsoever.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

LuckyCat posted:

Will we ever improve on the lovely Skyrim faces and animations? 15 years go by and it's like, no progress has been made in this whatsoever.

This is by a completely different team and a completely different engine. The faces look absolutely nothing like internal BethSoft's.

The game actually looks decent, let's hope Todd doesn't gently caress it up.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Joe Man posted:

This is by a completely different team and a completely different engine. The faces look absolutely nothing like internal BethSoft's.

The game actually looks decent, let's hope Todd doesn't gently caress it up.

I mean I agree that the game looks better than what Bethesda can put out because they don't make good games anymore whatsoever, but it's still frustrating that they look bad while most other aspects look good. That's just my opinion though. Maybe I do have goon face blindness. :shrug:

e: oh wait lol it is Bethesda, I guess just a different team, I fully get your point now

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 19, 2024

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The Wolfenstein games always looked solid, I imagine this will too. Maybe not industry-leading or w/e but good. I just want to whip some fascists and solve a puzzle or two.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyway sorry to jump in with bad opinions and poo poo on a game I don't really know anythinig about. I should know better and that wasn't very nice. Just feel burned from Starfield and wanted to complain about something.

I'm still playing through The Talos Principle and loving it, thanks again for the recommendation. I've completed A and B, and I'm almost done with C and I think I've unlocked up to floor 4 of Elohim's tower.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think Indy looks a tiny bit off but yeah if you think those people look remotely like Skyrim you gotta take a look at Skyrim again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i think fake harrison looks quite good, but the voice shatters the illusion

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I spent like 10 hours trying to build a prison where every inmate had their own little house and I had no real security and it failed miserably because it was too expensive and then I shelved the game and never played it again

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I quite liked Prison Architect but never played it after it was bought by Paradox. I think this new one really looks like poo poo though and will not be playing it.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Cyberpunk spoiled the gently caress out of me on faces, ngl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah that Jali poo poo is magic, I don’t know why it isn’t more widely used