Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Maera Sior posted:

I was absolutely dying at episode 2. We need a thread.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1JmT56PFVw

dancouga nova isn't perfect but it's an anime that ends with a lesbian race car driver punching an alien with a nuke so it's pretty good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also an anime where in-universe lore is japan's population skews so young in the future that minimum age for using guns got lowered so there's a part where someone is showing off her gun rack and going "now, no touching. you have to be 16 years or older to hold one of these." and then the team psychiatrist is like "i just turned 16 last week" and reaches for a rifle

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The only shonen series that ends with a marriage that I can think of that was pretty satisfying is Fullmetal Alchemist and a certain other series that has been disqualified from consideration due to the author being a real creep

In both of those series the romance element was a bit more... not prominent, exactly, but less rote? The romantic interests feel less like a arbitrary requirement from editorial;, anyway. Also it's just the the protagonist who gets married and not one where every random loving side character hooks up and produces offspring like it's Fire Emblem Awakening. Speaking of creep authors, I feel the Harry Potter ending really kicked this trend into high gear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the orihime/ichigo stuff in early bleach actually works pretty well but orihime gets sidelined for so much of the series that by the end it falls pretty flat. this applies to many things in bleach

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Endorph posted:

i think the orihime/ichigo stuff in early bleach actually works pretty well but orihime gets sidelined for so much of the series that by the end it falls pretty flat. this applies to many things in bleach

I feel like thats a big issue for any story with a large cast unfortunately.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it is but bleach has it especially bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like at least in dbz most of the cast has some kind of sendoff to their continued relevance, tien gets his stand against cell, roshi gets a big speech about making way for the next generation in og dragon ball, etc. Even puar at least gets to cry about yamcha getting blown up. The only character id say gets completely discarded with no attempt at a payoff is launch. Bleach has like 50 launches.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The main thing that makes Dragonball's treatment of its cast feel different than most shonen is that characters never ever get written off entirely but it doesn't bother to pretend that the peanut gallery is still relevant either. My personal favorite example is how Oolong is arguably the third main character of early Dragonball, is never remotely important again, but still has lines as late as Battle of Gods. With a lot of shonen it's kind of like if they gave Oolong a fight in Z.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 19, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

at least bleach stayed ended instead of dragging its corpse up like Boruto.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres burn the witch, technically

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and some novels by the baccano guy but ive heard those are actually decent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

The main thing that makes Dragonball's treatment of its cast feel different than most shonen is that characters never ever get written off entirely but it doesn't bother to pretend that the peanut gallery is still relevant either. My personal favorite example is how Oolong is arguably the third main character of early Dragonball, is never remotely important again, but still has lines as late as Battle of Gods. With a lot of shonen it's kind of like if they gave Oolong a fight in Z.
the thing about dbz also is that it really doesnt give its villains like, Squads of Named Henchmen for each of the weaker members to fight. theres like 1-3 guys that matter and goku or vegeta kill all of them.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I really believe that Tite Kubo should just design characters and do major set piece art and he needs to have a partner who writes stories and a partner who draws the manga frame by frame. His character design is (often) great! His use of those characters is decidedly not!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think hes honestly very good at certain aspects of storytelling, bleach just got away from him hard until he seemed to mostly check out. even the later arcs have their moments though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Endorph posted:

I still remember Orihime's "I wish I could have five(?) lives" speech to sleeping Ichigo and think it was sweet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

i think hes honestly very good at certain aspects of storytelling, bleach just got away from him hard until he seemed to mostly check out. even the later arcs have their moments though.

He's also still a top tier character designer

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kubo also had a lot of problems with his editor which also as I understand it contributed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kubo should do what the Golden Kamuy guy did and just un-cancel Zombiepowder

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/sangsilnoh/status/1748004425246142465?t=zO6OH2K_akJdgLLfgbjKbA&s=19

Perfect encapsulation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Once I get to watching it tomorrow, I may make the damg thread

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

the thing about dbz also is that it really doesnt give its villains like, Squads of Named Henchmen for each of the weaker members to fight. theres like 1-3 guys that matter and goku or vegeta kill all of them.

Yeah, that was always one of Bleach's big problems: the undercard fights bogging everything down. Another big problem was the fights themselves getting bogged down with "atmospheric" panels full of empty space.

Having said that, Dragon Ball had its own problems that tend to get overlooked out of nostalgia. One was the way tactics basically stopped mattering around the Frieza fight. But I think the fundamental issue I've always had with it is that the characterization was always pretty shallow even by shonen manga standards. Obviously this is partly because of its gag-manga roots; the flimsy motivations of villains like Pilaf and General Red were :thejoke:, and as Xibanya pointed out in their post comparing Dragon Ball to JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, you're limited in how much depth you can give characters in a world where almost nothing has actual consequences. But it's not like "serious" villains like Piccolo Sr. and Frieza have any more depth to them than Pilaf or Red, and despite what I said above about Chi-Chi being "a tragic figure," she's really just one stock character who suddenly turns into a different stock character.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 19, 2024

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I read all of Bleach over the course of like 2 weeks last year and all at once you can really see how not great it is a whole. Shame, really.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont really think dbz being simple is a strike against it. it's a major aspect of why it's such a universally likable thing. toriyama's an entertainer, all dragonball needs to be is entertaining and that's what it consistently is. leave the deeper storytelling to people who care about telling it

like yeah it's narratively and tactically shallow but... all its audience wants is some funny looking bad guys for our guys to punch. the literal central appeal of dbz is that the fights Look Cool. all it needs, is to have funny looking guys and action that looks cool. it skips a major problem jojo has to contend with which is that when every fight has to have more deliberate structure and tactics applied it's a lot harder to make every fight interesting on that level. dbz just has to have some cool laser beams and sound effects

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 19, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
all a dbz fight needs to be complete is a background track with a guy shouting "SUUUUUUPAAAAA BROOOOLYYYY!!! GOOOOGEEEEETAAAAA!!! GO! BROLY! GO! BROLY! COME ON! BROLY!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7uhkyameuk

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER...

ULTIMATE POWER!

SUPER POWER!!!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Kubo should do what the Golden Kamuy guy did and just un-cancel Zombiepowder

Kubo should just work under Togashi so we can finally get off that dang boat.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i thought bleach was the sickest thing in the world when i was like 15 but when they finished soul society and got to the arrancar stuff i dipped

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I like when Bleach is in the real world, rip Fullbringers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

CHOOSE YOUR FIGHTER...

ULTIMATE POWER!

SUPER POWER!!!

I still can't believe Super Hero made Gohan Blanco canon

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I started watching Thousand Year Blood War last year and after a few episodes I've realized either it's not good or I am not into it anymore

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The key to Dragon Ball, and the thing that differentiates good battle shonen from bad battle shonen, is being really loving funny.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I read all of Bleach over the course of like 2 weeks last year and all at once you can really see how not great it is a whole. Shame, really.

theres good ideas and bits in there like i said but you can really tell the massive gap between the stuff kubo cares about and the stuff he doesnt and so much of the series feels like it exists because of obligation

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
OP Updated

quote:

:siren:Yuuki Bakuhatsu Bang Bravern (Bang Brave Bang Bravern)
CygamesPictures | Masami Oobari | Keigo Koyanagi | Action, Sci-Fi | Original | Jan 11, 2024
Bang Brave Bang Bravern is set in a world where humanoid armored weapons known as “Titatonostrider” (“TS” for short) are used in warfare. The story kicks off when troops from various countries converge on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, including the main characters, Ao Isami of the Japan Ground Self-Defense Force and Lewis Smith of the United States Marine Corps. Isami and Smith cross paths during battle, but suddenly their teams are attacked by an unknown enemy, scattering soldiers and sending their forces into disarray. In order to save their friends and survive on the deadly battlefield, they must fight with every ounce of courage and pride that they can muster.
PV
Thread

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

Similarly this is why Baki works

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

I am actually really enjoying the laid back nature and pace of Delicious in Dungeon. Good characters and silly premise.

:same:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

binged watched the first two eps of bravern and I’m sold

may not get anime of the year (that will certainly go to dungeon meshi) but will get a special mention

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

P-Mack posted:

The key to Dragon Ball, and the thing that differentiates good battle shonen from bad battle shonen, is being really loving funny.

correct

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
comedy -> battle is an easier transition than battle -> comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ohtori Akio posted:

comedy -> battle is an easier transition than battle -> comedy

unironically, comedy is harder than most other forms of storytelling, so makes sense