Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Posted this in the N/V thread by accident. It belongs here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKDX4WcJ71I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Oh hell yeah! The origin of my avatar.

That game took a few years off my life

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Waltzing Along posted:

Did the game after that have a happy ending? I'm having a hard time remembering, but I could have sworn the ending was really good.

Not really. The Andrew Luck Colts got blown out by the Pats 45-7 and gave us loving deflategate. Then two weeks later...best not to talk about it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

best game i ever watched

Waltzing Along posted:

Did the game after that have a happy ending? I'm having a hard time remembering, but I could have sworn the ending was really good.

that was the super bowl that was canceled, silly.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

srsly tho, the real tragedy of that super bowl is that is overshadowed the best NFC CG ever.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

man watching that made me so nostalgic, those were some magical years. that stretch of games at the end of 2012 where they put up like 150+ points was when I knew it was absolutely a special team and I’ll forever remember drinking worth a friend and both of us just saying “no way this is our team? we’re this good?” when they were playing the 9ers

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2012 was the year I started paying attention to football again, after basically not having time for it when I was in school and working two jobs starting in the early-mid 90s. What was coming with Kaep was a big deal but the players that caught my attention from the first game I watched were Vernon Davis and Frank Gore.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I remember hearing the fireworks go off from my apartment before the snap had even played on my TV and getting super emotional about it. But I can't watch highlights of that game anymore because it always reminds me of what happened after. Such a waste.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ironically(?) I started following football again after I moved out of the country for grad school. There were no streams so I listened to them on sports radio station websites. My memories of that era involve Joe Starkey and Gary Plummer.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I started watching the 49ers right when Steve Young got injured and Jerry Rice got injured. I saw lot of heart breaks. The dennis erickson era, the nolan era, the mike singletary era. Almost what? 8 years or so no playoffs? But man I knew we had something special with Frank Gore.

I remember people were saying it was a risky pick because of his previous injuries (ACLs so don't blame teams for passing )but my god was he a runner.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 19, 2024

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

man, gently caress dennis erickson

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I got lucky and even though I had started pre-rice, I started really paying attention when he was a rookie. I probably watched 99% of the games from then until 2001 or 2002. When he went to the raiders. Also jobs and stuff where I'd have to work sundays on occasion and all that got in the way.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah I watched niners ball from some time in the early 80s up until 1993 with my family while I was in elementary and high school, with a three year break when I was in england 88-91, so I got to witness the montana and young eras, most of rice's career, etc. But 1993 was when I finished high school and started college and I was taking night and weekend classes, working two or three jobs at a time, for a while I was doing UPS preload shift so getting up at 3am and going to bed at like 7 or 8pm and I had not very drat much time for sports. I think I was vaguely aware that the niners sucked now and just wasn't watching.

It's... kinda unfair but also kinda nice that I just sorta skipped the horrible long period of the niners sucking and got back into it in 2012. There have been a few really bad years since then but never 8 years without a winning season in a row lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr. Fix It posted:

man, gently caress dennis erickson

Seriously, him and Nolan can just gently caress all the way off.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Watching Rice for years was ridiculous. There hasn't been a player like him before or since. Closest comparison was Jordan.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
The conversation between Stafford and Goff after their game Sunday:

“Hey man, congratulations," Stafford told Goff. "Go win it all, buddy.”

“Appreciate you,” Goff replied.

The two then went their separate ways, but Goff later tracked down Stafford to deliver a message.

“You’re one tough S.O.B., alright? I have so much respect for you," Goff said. "Keep going.”

“I appreciate you, brother," Stafford replied. "Good luck, man. You guys are balling. Keep going.”

:love:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
In honor of Packers-Niners tomorrow, throwback to one of the most Establish the Run NFL games in recent memory, certainly in the playoffs at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9XORfw_bM

8 pass attempts, in a conference championship game in 2019. Kyle Shanahan is a complete sicko and I love him so much.

Grozz Nuy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 19, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Grozz Nuy posted:

In honor of Packers-Niners tomorrow, throwback to one of the most Establish the Run NFL games in recent memory, certainly in the playoffs at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9XORfw_bM

8 pass attempts, in a conference championship game in 2019. Kyle Shanahan is a complete sicko and I love him so much.

The Mostert Game, so good

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Papercut posted:

The Mostert Game, so good

If only the 49ers hadn’t lost Mostert and failed to replace him, and the Packer’s run defense hadn’t improved so much since then!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Mostert picked a perfect time to channel the spirits of The Run vs an abysmal run defense.

Packers run defense hasn't been that much better has it?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's middling this year. Not good. Not terrible. Not ready to play a fully rested CMC.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mustached Demon posted:

Yeah Mostert picked a perfect time to channel the spirits of The Run vs an abysmal run defense.

Packers run defense hasn't been that much better has it?

My post was pure strain sarcasm.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Coldforge posted:

My post was pure strain sarcasm.

I hope Mitchell has a good game too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Holy poo poo, the Amy Trask quote. Talk about insanity. Also talk about not being qualified for your job.

If you haven't heard it, here is the gist: There are 4 games this weekend. 8 QBs. 7 terrific QBs and Brock Purdy.

And then the typical rigmarole that he is elevated by the talent around him.

What a loving buffoon.

Dude just had a top 10 season of All time. He had the BEST deep passing year ever. He led the NFL in nearly all statistical categories this year, including all the important ones, both simple and advanced. And he's not as good as Baker Mayfield.

Jesus Christ.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The divisional round is 7 first-round pick QBs and Brock. There's a reason so many teams reach on QB in the 1st, I guess.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Waltzing Along posted:

Holy poo poo, the Amy Trask quote. Talk about insanity. Also talk about not being qualified for your job.

Jesus Christ.

Track is a very smart football executive who, afaik, hasn’t actually worked in football for a long time. She also hates the 49ers.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grozz Nuy posted:

thanks for linking this, great watch. Mostly I remember losing to the chiefs that year and I'd forgotten how lopsided this game was in reality, compared to the official score. Four Mostert TDs in the first half shutout, JFC.

I also appreciate 49ers legend Richard Sherman wrapping up the game with the pick in the final two minutes.

Waltzing Along posted:

Holy poo poo, the Amy Trask quote. Talk about insanity.

You're talking about the statement, so it did its job of grabbing eyeballs. Hot takes are almost always worth more than correct ones.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Grozz Nuy posted:

I love CMC but I do miss Mostert. Glad he's having success in Miami.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

The divisional round is 7 first-round pick QBs and Brock.

I completely forgot Jordan Love was a first round pick, I thought he was getting so much credit because he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder who was finally shaping up to be a steal.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Coldforge posted:

I completely forgot Jordan Love was a first round pick, I thought he was getting so much credit because he was a 2nd or 3rd rounder who was finally shaping up to be a steal.

The Packers traded up to take him late in the first. Which looked very stupid for a while, and now looks brilliant. I guess we will revisit in a couple of years and see where it finally lands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They have 2 years before he becomes massively expensive. Assuming he even pans out. His hot streak may be inflated by low interceptions. I mean they are low, but it's a hot streak. Let's see how he does after regression.

His fundamentals still look bad.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The team who most establishes the Run will win.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Mustached Demon posted:

The team who most establishes the Run will win.

Aaron Jones has looked washed for most of this season against a healthy CMC. I believe that the San Francisco 49ers will establish The Run.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Waltzing Along posted:

They have 2 years before he becomes massively expensive. Assuming he even pans out. His hot streak may be inflated by low interceptions. I mean they are low, but it's a hot streak. Let's see how he does after regression.

His fundamentals still look bad.

I’m not gonna to crown a guy based on one year of production but in the current era where 90% of the best QBs are off platform throwers with a bunch of weird arm angles to call on I don’t think talking about fundamentals holds the same weight as it used to.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I don't think Love is great or destined to be a great QB but I sure as hell hope he beats the niners

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Waltzing Along posted:

If you haven't heard it, here is the gist: There are 4 games this weekend. 8 QBs. 7 terrific QBs and Brock Purdy.

I'm blown away by how much Purdy doesn't get the credit he deserves. I assume it's because he's Mr. Irrelevant, but using that as a reason not to appreciate what he's done the last two seasons is laziness and stupidity (mixed in with some jealousy). Yeah, he has talent around him, but he still is the guy running the show on the field.

He won't get credit for anything until he wins a SB, and that's pretty lovely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, 7 terrific QBs and one guy who's better than all of them.

This is from the Raiders game last season, right before the half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcDsXJDBI0Q

If Aiyuk catches that, the "is Purdy legit" question is answered in Week 17 of the 2022 season.

I got your "system QB" right here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgKdoVKLapM

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

If you haven't heard it, here is the gist: There are 4 games this weekend. 8 QBs. 7 "well rested" QBs and Brock Purdy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I'm blown away by how much Purdy doesn't get the credit he deserves. I assume it's because he's Mr. Irrelevant, but using that as a reason not to appreciate what he's done the last two seasons is laziness and stupidity (mixed in with some jealousy). Yeah, he has talent around him, but he still is the guy running the show on the field.

He won't get credit for anything until he wins a SB, and that's pretty lovely.

It's also because his greatest talents are non-flashy things that are easy to ignore or attribute to other things. Like he has impeccable footwork, which is boring, and incredible anticipation/processing, which at game speed just looks like his weapons/scheme getting open. It looks less impressive than guys who take a second longer to read the defense or can throw off balance but have a rocket arm to make up for it.