Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

bort posted:

There is also no idea how to discern if the feedback you're given has anything to do with the decision or not. Even if it's true, they're not likely to say, "you were competing with an internal candidate and we needed a patsy for the process, sucks to be you." That kind of thing happens all the time.

Why even list the job if it's just going to be an internal hire? If it's gov'ment, they kinda have to, but some random corp going trying to find a patsy seems like a waste of time for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Why even list the job if it's just going to be an internal hire? If it's gov'ment, they kinda have to, but some random corp going trying to find a patsy seems like a waste of time for everyone.

A lot of companies have policies that require them to.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

If the internal hire is any of {white, male, young, cis}, not going through the box checking theater is begging for a discrimination suit.

Ironically the box checking theater only thickens the glass ceiling. Real easy for minorities to get interviews, real hard to get offers.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

As above, and even if your internal candidate isn't a discrimination concern, a lot of companies just have a blanket policy that you need to interview for xyz time. As long as you assume you don't care about outside candidate's time (why would you?) having external interviews is a good way to gauge what the market looks like even if you'd only take an external hire if they were a unicorn.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Visa holders, also. Have to determine it was truly impossible to source it domestically.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
In 2022 I interviewed for a role with a competitor. They ultimately went with a different candidate and now that role is open again. The difference is that now they're posting a salary range and it's roughly 40k less than I make now. This is possibly why they went with the other candidate... I was very clear about my experience and my rate.

All that being said, it's exactly what I've been looking for. Is it worth trying again?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Doesn't hurt to try again but if they're being clear on salary I would not have much faith they'll match what you want.

I guess its more likely now since guy 1 didn't work.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Company guy: "Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. If you're still interested, I'll have my assistant schedule an interview"

Me: "Sounds great"

Assistant: ...

This all happened on MLK day so maybe the assistant didn't get something, but how long until I should go bug the first guy again?

Its been a week and still have not heard from this Assistant person. I did get an automated? email the other day from the company asking for supplemental application info so maybe that has something to do with it. Still wondering if I should bug the first guy I talked to again.

On the flip side,

This was all on Monday

Maybe the person is busy idk, but it seems unusual to reach out almost immediately but not find 5 mins to check a schedule

This person never got back to me but I just did get an actual interview request for this company, no HR screen required? :toot:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm constantly on the fence about whether or not to check the disability box for my ADHD. I usually don't, and just figure I'd just magically "discover" I have ADHD after starting the new job and then have them do accommodations.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'd love some feedback on my resume. I worked in the oil and gas industry for 8 years and then after getting laid off at the end of 2020 I've been learning computer programming through an online course. I've been applying for positions because I'm confident that I know the fundamentals well enough that I could adapt to and work within whatever framework a workplace is using. It's easy to feel increasingly discouraged as the gap between when I last worked and now grows larger and larger. I'm still working my way through the programming courses, but I wonder if I should list that I am a current student on my resume because maybe that looks like I'm not ready to work yet. I have a polished and finished project that I put together listed on the resume and plan to list another once I have another project that wasn't created alongside guidance from classwork.

Here's my resume: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rb6sRpo3rA_UqcGubl62zsg3xY0taYS6/view?usp=sharing

The top of the resume is just a barfed up list of coding languages and tools I've used. It looks stupid but everything I apply to has a big dumb list like this too so I just list it all there. That project is a weird one to list because I did a chunk of the work around the end of 2020 and then revised it and improved it for a few months last year. I've also considered documenting the process of revising and improving the game somewhere but I don't know if that time is better used finishing up the coursework or devoting to applications or what.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm constantly on the fence about whether or not to check the disability box for my ADHD. I usually don't, and just figure I'd just magically "discover" I have ADHD after starting the new job and then have them do accommodations.

I am not a lawyer, and I am not your lawyer. For better info, you would be served talking to an employment attorney or a disability rights advocate of some kind.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is those boxes don't go to the company, but to the EEOC to check trends generally. Also, if you require an accommodation as a part of your work duties but not as a part of an interview, it's my understanding that's your right to request that accommodation regardless of whether you said so earlier. My understanding is there's no time limit; the main restriction is so long as it does not impose an 'undue hardship' on the company. Like, putting you on the first floor due to a mobility issue might be a reasonable accommodation, but building an elevator might not be.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Jolo posted:

I'd love some feedback on my resume.

Are you applying for mostly in person or remote positions?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You shouldn't. If you have an obvious disability it's a good idea, but presumably you'd be able to get through an interview and maybe probationary period without disclosing it which means its in your best effort not to disclose it until then.

You are under no obligation to and no company is seriously worried about getting sued for being discriminatory against people with ADHD so you won't get "bonus" points for marking it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jolo posted:

I'd love some feedback on my resume.

1. Are you a student or are you self taught? It's unclear from the description, that doesn't sound like a boot camp and more like a correspondance course? I hire a lot of mid-career shift people as developers, but the burden of proof that you need to prove to me you can do what you say goes up as you go from 4 year college to established bootcamp to self-taught.

2. You need a github link (EDIT: You do have one, you buried it. Advice stands, it needs to be better). Someone needs to see your code and your projects to consider you for a developer job. You need multiple projects. See #1, but I would really need to see several good projects and ideally something out there in the world based on your profile. This would relax if you were coming out of an established bootcamp, but I'd still need a couple projects and at least 1 that had some polish on it.

3. Your O&G experience is pretty great, actually. That would be a huge plus on any resume. I'm going to go against normal advice and say having a bullet point on what the job actually was might be good, as developer managers won't really know.

4. You can probably just remove the clerk job entirely.

5. I'd maybe try a different template too. It's hard to parse.

So overall, this would probably get trashed or at best put in the "maybe but probably not" pile mostly because you're not doing enough to show me what your coding skills are, and this fits more closely into the "My friend is a developer and makes lots of money so I want that too" bucket. You need to prove that you have some skill and aptitude. Your github is pretty light (maybe it's better than my 30 second look indicated, but you need to call better attention), you need to better show you are good at this.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

wash bucket posted:

Are you applying for mostly in person or remote positions?

Both. The applications through indeed are mostly near me where they're a combination of remote and in-office. I should be applying to remote locations all over because I'm perfectly happy to work fully remotely.

Lockback posted:

1. Are you a student or are you self taught? It's unclear from the description, that doesn't sound like a boot camp and more like a correspondance course? I hire a lot of mid-career shift people as developers, but the burden of proof that you need to prove to me you can do what you say goes up as you go from 4 year college to established bootcamp to self-taught.

2. You need a github link (EDIT: You do have one, you buried it. Advice stands, it needs to be better). Someone needs to see your code and your projects to consider you for a developer job. You need multiple projects. See #1, but I would really need to see several good projects and ideally something out there in the world based on your profile. This would relax if you were coming out of an established bootcamp, but I'd still need a couple projects and at least 1 that had some polish on it.

3. Your O&G experience is pretty great, actually. That would be a huge plus on any resume. I'm going to go against normal advice and say having a bullet point on what the job actually was might be good, as developer managers won't really know.

4. You can probably just remove the clerk job entirely.

5. I'd maybe try a different template too. It's hard to parse.

So overall, this would probably get trashed or at best put in the "maybe but probably not" pile mostly because you're not doing enough to show me what your coding skills are, and this fits more closely into the "My friend is a developer and makes lots of money so I want that too" bucket. You need to prove that you have some skill and aptitude. Your github is pretty light (maybe it's better than my 30 second look indicated, but you need to call better attention), you need to better show you are good at this.

1. I'm doing courses through an online course called launch school. It's like a bootcamp but instead of an intense focused several week thing it's self-paced. One thing that sold me on it was that it incorporates video chat coding problem assessments. Those are a whole different animal than working through a problem quietly on my own. My 4 year degree was basically a Sociology degree.

2. Should I put that github link up in the header? What's the sort of project I should include on there? I'm hesitant to list something like a Todo List App Website because it was done with assistance during coursework. I'm at a point where I could make pretty much whatever I can think up, but making something like a Contact List app sounds boring to me so I guess I assume someone doing hiring would also think "oh wow, another boring contact list or todo list app."

3. Right on.
4. Yeah, I was thinking that also
5. Ok

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you. I've been thinking the same thing more or less, that's why I went back and finished/polished the Guess Wu game to get something done that I can point to as something I created. What's a good way to present something that isn't a game? With the game I screen recorded a couple of short videos. I guess with a website I can link to a finished/hosted website.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 19, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So your chances of a remote job are small, but if your not burning out keep applying, you never know. The last time I submitted a remote junior dev role I received 1200 resumes before I had to pull it. Sounds like your applying for local stuff, I would guess for the first job that is a better hunting ground.

So the Launch school might be ok but its an optics problem on your resume. When I look at these things I usually want to see a 4 year comp sci/equivalent degree or a bootcamp I am aware of. Unless I'm desperate I'm probably not going to research what this is. This isn't a death knell, but it makes your projects so much more important.

You have an executable for your game, which is good, but I'd want to see something hosted too. I'd probably consider you if I saw 3 projects that piqued my interest. A Lua game is 1, maybe thing about a reasonably polished CRUD app that someone could visit and play with and maybe an AI project that can be a flaming mess but actually tries to do something.

Yes, put your github with other critical information.

Your sociology degree is fine, I like to see any degree more than no degree, it's a reasonable "I am not a total fuckup" filter.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Magnetic North posted:

I am not a lawyer, and I am not your lawyer. For better info, you would be served talking to an employment attorney or a disability rights advocate of some kind.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is those boxes don't go to the company, but to the EEOC to check trends generally. Also, if you require an accommodation as a part of your work duties but not as a part of an interview, it's my understanding that's your right to request that accommodation regardless of whether you said so earlier. My understanding is there's no time limit; the main restriction is so long as it does not impose an 'undue hardship' on the company. Like, putting you on the first floor due to a mobility issue might be a reasonable accommodation, but building an elevator might not be.

Makes me wonder about the situation in Australia (Ausgoons chime in?)

Multiple times I've been asked as part of Job acceptance process to fill out a questionnaire asking about pre-existing medical conditions that may "impact your work".

In Australia it seems unlikely they could then decline your acceptance based on a disclosure of an illness, but I wonder about non-disclosure? If I don't mention I have endometriosis then what?

One job I signed a thing saying I was healthy as a horse, and then ended up away in hospital in like my second week. Nobody ever questioned my form, so I wonder what it even was for?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I can’t think of a compelling reason to disclose a disability during the interview process if it doesn’t affect the interview process.

Magnetic North posted:

The company sees the forms, it’s their forms. Ive read ~hundred ADA employment lawsuit complaints and never seen one for an interview. Once you have the job you can seek an accommodation. The likelihood of being discriminated against if you tell them you have ADHD and need an accommodation before the interview is prob >80% (number from my butt, but sky high). You’re unlikely to get the job. This is illegal. It doesn’t matter.

I say this as a person with ADHD.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 20, 2024

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

I think one case it could help is for government jobs, they'll often have Schedule A quotas and can fast-track candidates with disabilities. You'll need documentation as well; outside of that context I don't disclose it, and don't really touch on it beyond that. Could v well depend on the agency, so could be hard to know if it'll help or not.

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 20, 2024

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

foutre posted:

I think one case it could help is for government jobs, they'll often have Schedule A quotas and can fast-track candidates with disabilities. You'll need documentation as well; outside of that context I don't disclose it, and don't really touch on it beyond that. Could v well depend on the agency, so could be hard to know if it'll help or not.

That's the one time I put it on an application, where they made a point to basically say "we need to meet quotas so you should tell us." I think it was a government job too now that you mention it.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
How would you answer a question about a degree you’re half way through that you’re pretty sure you’re not going to bother completing? The job is with the same educational institution you’re applying to.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Why would anyone be asking though? If you include it on your cv and list the projected graduation date, it's unlikely they would think you were gonna drop out

Unless I'm not understanding the question?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Valid point. It may not come up, but one of my previous roles with this place is only available to students as they study. I’m just covering my tush in case they happen to know this and ask what I was doing.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

My thinking would be that at the time of interview *cough* everything is peaches, and you only think about dropping out if you secure the job

Unless the job requires you to have that degree?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Does the job require you to be an active student of the educational institution you are applying to work at? Seems like a bad situation to get yourself into either way, if you aren't going to finish the course.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Nope, it’s not a qualification I need.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey dumb question: is there a good way to make LinkedIn job search agents less dumb? There are recruiters who continuously spam my results with "local" jobs that are, in fact, remote, and I'd like them to gently caress right off.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

bolind posted:

Hey dumb question: is there a good way to make LinkedIn job search agents less dumb? There are recruiters who continuously spam my results with "local" jobs that are, in fact, remote, and I'd like them to gently caress right off.

i get that poo poo all the time, and recruiters that aren't up to speed on geography and commute times.

"Hey I have a position here, it's hybrid, they need 3 days a week in office, but you get to choose the location, it can be Houston or Tampa."

"Well I do have the experience you're looking for but I'm not willing to relocate from Atlanta."

"Oh... well it's only 3 days a week, is Tampa too far?"

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Recruiters are hungry, too. Expect increasingly desperate tactics, unless this market finds a way to rehire all the people it's shed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Recruiter Saw Your Background In Computer Science And Thought Maybe You’d Be Interested In Working Part-Time At A Kohl’s In Sioux City

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Amazon is telling me I missed my interview today, but to my knowledge they never responded after I gave them my availability. No email, nothing in their job portal, nothing. Don't know who the interviewer is, just that they told the recruiter I missed it.

I didn't apply for this job so I can't see it in my open applications, maybe that's it.

It's the job in Arizona so I wasn't really interested in it anyway, but annoying nonetheless.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I got an invite to schedule an interview via text message from a recruiter for what I think is an MSP, so I click the link and schedule the interview on Friday of last week for Wednesday this week, and then first thing (like at 8 am on the dot) I got a message saying the appointment was cancelled and they'd keep my resume on file.
What the gently caress?

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a portfolio reviewI'm prepping for. Way overqualified for the job and they want to present in indesign. Gotta love state government. This is going to be practice for me for the bigger one next Monday.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I got an invite to schedule an interview via text message from a recruiter for what I think is an MSP, so I click the link and schedule the interview on Friday of last week for Wednesday this week, and then first thing (like at 8 am on the dot) I got a message saying the appointment was cancelled and they'd keep my resume on file.
What the gently caress?
They suddenly had someone to shuffle over from a contract winding down or the contract fell through, probably.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

They suddenly had someone to shuffle over from a contract winding down or the contract fell through, probably.

I'd guess the open req got axed, but yeah.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So a couple of semi-weird questions.

Background/scenario: I got fired earlier this month after failing to meet expectations on a 30-day PIP (Performance Improvement Plan). As (I assume) is often the case, the PIP was a painfully obvious precursory step to the inevitable:

quote:

"Success is defined as achieving 100% of the goals. Progress toward the goals, without 100% achievement, is not considered successful completion.

Translation: "Only objective perfection will ensure your continued employment; your signature acknowledges that we can use even one single mistake of any kind, regardless of impact or magnitude, to justify cutting you loose."

Nevertheless I did my best and delivered what I believe was a very stong month, but my boss meticulously documented some pretty trivial transgressions - a 30-minute meeting I managed ran 34 minutes :eek:, poo poo like that. I'd been with the company for a little less than a year and had inarguably made some mistakes over that time, but the bigger issue was just poor chemistry with my boss. We have very different working styles and personalities, and she was badly overworked and not a very good people leader to begin with. The job paid well and I enjoyed the work, but overall I'm OK with being shown the door, though of course I would have preferred to exit on my own terms.

Questions:
  • This one's water under the bridge and more for the thread's benefit, but for the record I imagine I hosed up by not starting my job search the instant the PIP showed up? Instead I focused on doing the best job I possibly could in hopes of clearing the PIP's bar, which in hindsight was a fool's errand. (It didn't help that my manager maintained throughout that continued employment was absolutely still on the table and encouraged me to persevere, but I understand that it's her job to say that.) Again, more for the thread than myself: barring certain very unique scenarios, don't PIPs typically (~90%+) mean you're gonna be gone in 30 no matter what you do?

• Obviously I don't want to disclose to a prospective employer that I was let go for performance, even if the PIP was kinda bullshit imo. Could someone confirm for my peace of mind that I shouldn't worry about an employer learning about it? Can't my last employer get in a heap of trouble for disclosing pretty much anything beyond "he was hired for [role] on xx/xx/xx and then he left the company on xx/xx/xx"?

• Get this - my team was granted payroll to add additional headcount over the summer, and I got a teammate in October, then another one in November; my manager set an expectation with me in the summer that both would eventually report to me. Both new hires were younger than me, both were very, very good at their jobs, and both enjoyed better natural chemistry with our boss. The company posted really disappointing financials in 2023, which had me concerned that if they shed headcount, they'd cut me loose and bump one of the new hires up to my slot. I was let go on Fri 1/12, then got a text from one of the new hires on Mon 1/15 that they both were shitcanned too, after 60 and 90 days respectively of terrific performance. Stay classy, [formal employer] - both of em jumped from good gigs at other companies to join the team, and now they're out on their asses.

Anyway, the question: even though I was let go for performance and they were let go as part of cutbacks, since they happened within one business day of each other, am I safe just lumping em together and attributing my departure to a major re-org and/or team restructuring? I figure If I stay vague it's not really a lie and difficult for an employer to disprove(?)

• This company was full of weird job titles, with vanity-ish VP titles all over the place and some really confusing hierarchies. My title was "Director, Alliance Operations - Lead" :confused: What's a director - lead anyway? I had no direct reports, and was on the same team/level with a manager and a couple of senior leads. I worry that the wonky/contradictory title will raise questions, and wish I could drop the "Lead" bit and just go with "Director", not to misrepresent my work but just to sidestep the confusion. Safe to assume dropping any part of that title from my resume would be a big mistake? Go with the correct, weird title and position it as addl credibility to a "I'm no longer with them because they're an organizational shitshow which was not my fault" narrative?
Hope that all makes sense. This is a terrific thread that's really helping my approach to my job search. Thanks for reading.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The decision to terminate you was made before you were given the PIP. The PIP is a company's way of communicating "we are going to terminate you; now is the time for you to find your next job." Their hope is that you will find another job and leave, thus freeing them from having to pay unemployment compensation. Which by the way, depending on your jurisdiction, you may be entitled to unemployment comp even if you were terminated for (supposedly) poor performance. But yes--you were supposed to start job searching the day you received the PIP, or before, if there were tea leaves to read.

Yes, you absolutely should frame it in future interviews as a financially-motivated RIF. Because that's clearly what it really was.

You should probably list your (highest) actual job title on your resume--that's one of the two things most companies will actually identify, along with dates of employment.

There is no direct legal requirement for the company not to share with other prospective employers that they fired a person for poor performance, no. But in this case I don't think there's any reason to think they will do that to you--you were just supposed to take a hint and make your own exit as part of the RIF. (They didn't have to go through that song and dance with your brief-burning co-workers because they hadn't been there long enough to be eligible for unemployment comp.) They will probably just confirm what dates you were there and your last job title.

You're going to end up way better off. That company sounds like a clusterfuck.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm sure there's others, but I used EarnBetter to convert my resume into AI generated content with a much improved format.

Where has this been my whole life

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Don't lie or embellish, though I'd err on the side of saying too little regarding your termination. This is why you begin your job search the second you receive a PIP. Being able to say "I'm currently employed but am choosing to leave" is much better than ultimately going through a termination (not a re-org layoff). Speak to your accomplishments despite ultimately being released, and prepare to speak to what you learned from your failures when asked.

Re: job titles, there is some flexibility but it should be really close and certainly representative of what you did. My last title was 56 characters long (omitting spaces) because my boss was a trainwreck of a human; Sr. Director of [X], [Y], [Z] and I just trimmed it down to Sr. Dir of Y on LinkedIn and the contents of my resume made it plain what exactly that meant. Was your Director title outward facing only, or internal as well? Odd that a Director would have zero direct reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

rivetz posted:

So a couple of semi-weird questions.

Background/scenario: I got fired earlier this month after failing to meet expectations on a 30-day PIP (Performance Improvement Plan). As (I assume) is often the case, the PIP was a painfully obvious precursory step to the inevitable:

Translation: "Only objective perfection will ensure your continued employment; your signature acknowledges that we can use even one single mistake of any kind, regardless of impact or magnitude, to justify cutting you loose."

Nevertheless I did my best and delivered what I believe was a very stong month, but my boss meticulously documented some pretty trivial transgressions - a 30-minute meeting I managed ran 34 minutes :eek:, poo poo like that. I'd been with the company for a little less than a year and had inarguably made some mistakes over that time, but the bigger issue was just poor chemistry with my boss. We have very different working styles and personalities, and she was badly overworked and not a very good people leader to begin with. The job paid well and I enjoyed the work, but overall I'm OK with being shown the door, though of course I would have preferred to exit on my own terms.

Questions:
  • This one's water under the bridge and more for the thread's benefit, but for the record I imagine I hosed up by not starting my job search the instant the PIP showed up? Instead I focused on doing the best job I possibly could in hopes of clearing the PIP's bar, which in hindsight was a fool's errand. (It didn't help that my manager maintained throughout that continued employment was absolutely still on the table and encouraged me to persevere, but I understand that it's her job to say that.) Again, more for the thread than myself: barring certain very unique scenarios, don't PIPs typically (~90%+) mean you're gonna be gone in 30 no matter what you do?

• Obviously I don't want to disclose to a prospective employer that I was let go for performance, even if the PIP was kinda bullshit imo. Could someone confirm for my peace of mind that I shouldn't worry about an employer learning about it? Can't my last employer get in a heap of trouble for disclosing pretty much anything beyond "he was hired for [role] on xx/xx/xx and then he left the company on xx/xx/xx"?

• Get this - my team was granted payroll to add additional headcount over the summer, and I got a teammate in October, then another one in November; my manager set an expectation with me in the summer that both would eventually report to me. Both new hires were younger than me, both were very, very good at their jobs, and both enjoyed better natural chemistry with our boss. The company posted really disappointing financials in 2023, which had me concerned that if they shed headcount, they'd cut me loose and bump one of the new hires up to my slot. I was let go on Fri 1/12, then got a text from one of the new hires on Mon 1/15 that they both were shitcanned too, after 60 and 90 days respectively of terrific performance. Stay classy, [formal employer] - both of em jumped from good gigs at other companies to join the team, and now they're out on their asses.

Anyway, the question: even though I was let go for performance and they were let go as part of cutbacks, since they happened within one business day of each other, am I safe just lumping em together and attributing my departure to a major re-org and/or team restructuring? I figure If I stay vague it's not really a lie and difficult for an employer to disprove(?)

• This company was full of weird job titles, with vanity-ish VP titles all over the place and some really confusing hierarchies. My title was "Director, Alliance Operations - Lead" :confused: What's a director - lead anyway? I had no direct reports, and was on the same team/level with a manager and a couple of senior leads. I worry that the wonky/contradictory title will raise questions, and wish I could drop the "Lead" bit and just go with "Director", not to misrepresent my work but just to sidestep the confusion. Safe to assume dropping any part of that title from my resume would be a big mistake? Go with the correct, weird title and position it as addl credibility to a "I'm no longer with them because they're an organizational shitshow which was not my fault" narrative?
Hope that all makes sense. This is a terrific thread that's really helping my approach to my job search. Thanks for reading.

We’ve all been there. I’m gonna half answer your questions but focus more on some realities that will lead you to the right answers in the future as there’s some dangerous/forboding thinking IMO,

- If you and two other teammates were fired within a short time, your performance wasn’t the whole issue.
- A PIP is advanced notice you’re being termd, the proper response is to do the bare minimum and find a job while you have a job. Sometimes doing anything you can to have some leverage to negotiate a bit of severance.
- Write fewer words, it’s hard to follow what’s going on there
- a resume is meant to be helpful to the reader, weird job titles aren’t
- the last job was a shitshow is 100% not to be conveyed in a resume and you’re probably not an astute enough interviewer to convey it safely without badmouthing. This is not a narrative that is likely to lead to success.
- if you had no reports or hire/fire authority don’t use titles that imply you did