Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
posting from within BoB's chin dimple, send help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess he's still WR coach - maybe also "Passing game coordinator"?

He was technically OC, but wasn't it still Day doing most of the play calling instead of Hartline?

Hartline didn’t do any play calling.

fast cars loose anus posted:

haha how loving dumb is Ohio State

I mean, the spot he’s filling belonged to a guy whose chief qualification was “Urban Meyer’s son-in-law” so even if O’Brien is a giant dickhead moron, it’s still a massive step up from a football perspective.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Grittybeard posted:

Well that's a definite Hmmm.

I have no reason to believe he's bad other than not making Mac Jones work, he has done some very impressive things that get ignored because of everything Texans--which may or may not have been his fault in the end. But falling down to (a very good as far as they go) position as a college OC seems rough. I figured Bill would take him with him wherever he ends up.

He was GM/coach of the Texans for a while, and trading DeAndre Hopkins and giving Laremy Tunsil a ridiculous contract were definitely his fault. Its possible he'll be fine as just an OC despite my initial reaction to the news, just give him as little authority as possible about who gets to play.

The Ringer posted:

O’Brien traded two first-round picks and a second-rounder for a package headlined by Laremy Tunsil. The Texans definitely needed a blocker. Houston quarterback Deshaun Watson was the most-sacked quarterback in the NFL in 2018, and Tunsil is one of the few elite left tackles in football. But O’Brien was paying a quarterback-level price. The package was so overwhelming that when Dolphins GM Chris Grier told Tunsil the offer, Tunsil reportedly told Grier, “I would trade me for that.”

Let’s put aside how much the Texans gave up—which was a lot—and focus on O’Brien’s biggest mistake in the deal: not negotiating a contract with Tunsil before agreeing to the trade. It is standard practice for general managers to negotiate a contract extension with a player on an expiring deal before making a significant trade. For example, when the Bears traded a similar package of draft picks to the Raiders for star pass rusher Khalil Mack in 2018, Chicago agreed to a contract extension with Mack the day of the deal. It is beyond bad practice to send away two first-round picks (plus a second-rounder) in a trade centered on a guy who isn’t on a long-term contract.

Bill O’Brien did not negotiate a contract extension with Tunsil before trading that treasure chest of draft picks. By failing to check this fundamental box, O’Brien gave Tunsil more negotiating power than any player has had in decades. Tunsil didn’t even hire an agent for his negotiation this spring, because the situation was clear: If Tunsil left in free agency, O’Brien would likely be fired.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Hows that QB room lookin, Buckeyes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LeeMajors posted:

Ohio State *still has* an OC and managed to hire one before Iowa lol

haha how loving dumb is Ohio State

Well, we'll see whenever Iowa moves as far as in-conference comparisons go.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Looks like OSU also fired Corey Dennis as QB coach, too

https://x.com/andrew_smith11w/status/1748182564957827516?s=20

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

He was GM/coach of the Texans for a while, and trading DeAndre Hopkins and giving Laremy Tunsil a ridiculous contract were definitely his fault. Its possible he'll be fine as just an OC despite my initial reaction to the news, just give him as little authority as possible about who gets to play.

Yeah there's too much smoke there for there not to be some fire, but at the same time the Texans were just a mess all around. It's hard for me to say it was all O'Brien.

But definitely agreed you don't want him to do anything other than coach and maybe throw his name around recruiting if you need to. And if he sucks at the coaching bit you fire him immediately.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I still can't get over the fact that we had a football game end with the ritual suicide of a gigantic pastry creature

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

I still can't get over the fact that we had a football game end with the ritual suicide of a gigantic pastry creature

and it owned

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

:lmao: holy poo poo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
me: osu's gotta ton of talent coming back probs the fave for '24

osu: bob oc

me: welp three in four year dawgs woof woof woof

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

C. Everett Koop posted:

me: osu's gotta ton of talent coming back probs the fave for '24

osu: bob oc

me: welp three in four year dawgs woof woof woof

even without that the dawgs are so loving stacked going into next year it's absurd to bet against them

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Sash! posted:

The latest Pablo Torre Finds out had a long segment about it here: https://youtu.be/g9h-AbjQaXQ?si=xc-172k_gNFcmioY

Nothing too new in there, as Sarah Spain mentioned before that it was a previous Benny The Bull in there. But there were some good PR responses in there for some of the staff's questions: like what gender is the pop tart? (It is a pop tart) and can the Pop-tart be resurrected? (no, it is in mouth heaven).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

lol lmao. You all are in for such a time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warbird posted:

Given how McCord, Brown, and Keinholz developed over the season, it's not like BoB could do much worse than Corey

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Warbird posted:

You people really do not understand how completely loving useless Corey Dennis is.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao one of my best friends is a huge Ohio state fan and Texans fan. The elation when bill left was immense. What a poor fucker

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

finally, someone who will be able to unlock Chad Ray's full potential

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Wait, wasn't that Hartlines job? Where's he at?

Hartline is honestly just an elite WR coach. I don't think he has any effect on offensive scheming or philosophy. He is, however, getting paid like an OC by Ohio State because as long as he is on campus, Ohio State will always have a definitive shot at the #1 WR in every recruiting class, high school, or transfer portal.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/BigOrangeVolz/status/1748018882256728264?ref

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

:10bux:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Warbird posted:

BoB objectively is a good QB coach with a terminal case of West Coast offense brain. I don’t hate getting a QB coach who isn’t Urban Meyer’s son in law who has a brain for quick game stuff because we need an actual dedicated QB coach and a radically different quick game.

I’m sure his calls are going to drive me crazy, but I do not think you understand how bad Day is at calling games outside of “big game” environments now because he just doesn’t spend time on it. 1st or 2nd and 10? Boundary stretch or snag. 3rd and long? 989 or slot fade. Can’t block today? Mesh or tight zone with bubble relief. He can still call a freak game like Georgia, but it’s a consistency issue for him. If BoB is capable of being even an average play caller, then we are talking about literally a purely additive situation in like 10 of 12 games this year.

I’m expecting this is going to mean new OL coach as well because the pass protection will get significantly more complicated if he brings some of his NFL stuff in.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

OH.......

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Cthulu Carl posted:

Given how McCord, Brown, and Keinholz developed over the season, it's not like BoB could do much worse than Corey

BoB did make Hackenberg look halfway decent...

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If BoB calls even one good play next year, he will have exponentially exceeded the entire tenure of Corey Dennis.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Truther Vandross posted:

Hartline was given the title to justify the raise they had to give him to retain him. Most of what I’ve heard is that he has no actual interest in being the actual playcaller.

He wants to be an elite WR coach and work that into a HC job somewhere.

Kinda like Darrell Hazell did?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/PeteThamel/status/1748337044051685720?s=20

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Oooooooof

Although I can’t imagine watching Penix this year and not sticking around as a QB or WR.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

It would be nice if our players stopped leaving. Nah, Sayin?

tried to come up with a DBZ joke but I haven’t watched enough of it

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TheGreyGhost posted:

BoB objectively is a good QB coach with a terminal case of West Coast offense brain. I don’t hate getting a QB coach who isn’t Urban Meyer’s son in law who has a brain for quick game stuff because we need an actual dedicated QB coach and a radically different quick game.

I’m sure his calls are going to drive me crazy, but I do not think you understand how bad Day is at calling games outside of “big game” environments now because he just doesn’t spend time on it. 1st or 2nd and 10? Boundary stretch or snag. 3rd and long? 989 or slot fade. Can’t block today? Mesh or tight zone with bubble relief. He can still call a freak game like Georgia, but it’s a consistency issue for him. If BoB is capable of being even an average play caller, then we are talking about literally a purely additive situation in like 10 of 12 games this year.

I’m expecting this is going to mean new OL coach as well because the pass protection will get significantly more complicated if he brings some of his NFL stuff in.

Unless he's changed a lot he won't be helping from a recruiting standpoint. It's one of the things he seemed to hate about college football along with dealing with normal non-football related college stuff (boosters, fundraising, facilities, etc etc).

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

My take on Bill O'Brien is that he's exactly the man Penn State needed at the time they needed him: an outsider whose sole purpose was to stabilize the program in two years to move on to an NFL head coaching job. He did just that, and I'm grateful for it. He wasn't just a great QB coach for Christian Hackenberg's freshman year, but he turned Matt McGloin into an NFL quarterback ffs. The 2012 team turned out to be pretty fun to watch because Sam Ficken missed a bunch of field goals and extra points in the UVA loss and then BOB decided to go for it on 4th down all the time.

When James Franklin recently fired Mike Yurcich as OC, O'Brien's name came up on Penn State message boards. I don't think he was under serious consideration by Franklin, but just a name people threw out there. I think fans were overwhelmingly opposed to his return as OC due to his most recent work. I don't think I would want him back as an OC at Penn State. I just don't really know if his schemes have evolved enough to lead a top 10-20 offense in today's game. The Ohio State hire of BOB strikes me as more than anything an effort to bring in a quality QB coach to develop a new starter for OSU considering how pedestrian they looked at that position last year. That's the biggest question mark for Ohio State heading into next year. Whether O'Brien works out as a playcaller there is yet to be seen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Unless he's changed a lot he won't be helping from a recruiting standpoint. It's one of the things he seemed to hate about college football along with dealing with normal non-football related college stuff (boosters, fundraising, facilities, etc etc).

Day is the lead recruiter for QBs and has been since he got there so I doubt it’s much of an issue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't wait to see BoB get promoted the next time Ryan Day loses to Michigan.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Guess he’s following Bill O’Brien to Ohio State

Which btw I absolutely cannot believe they’re letting BOB call plays. Is Ryan Day trying to get his buyout this year?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

dirty shrimp money posted:

Is Ryan Day trying to get his buyout this year?

Fired football coach is the best loving job in the world. It's what I'd be shooting for, yeah

Wasn't Weis collecting checks from three different institutions for being bad at one point? What a sweet gig

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 19, 2024

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Holy poo poo that boys head is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

lol, my nephew played safety against this dude and got smoked.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Truther Vandross posted:

Day is the lead recruiter for QBs and has been since he got there so I doubt it’s much of an issue.

If the pitch to BoB was “you can be our Monken”, it’s probably fine. He doesn’t have to do any program management or any significant recruiting since Day fills that gap.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Guess he’s following Bill O’Brien to Ohio State

Which btw I absolutely cannot believe they’re letting BOB call plays. Is Ryan Day trying to get his buyout this year?

Bet he goes back west.

Again, even if he is an absolutely mediocre playcaller, it is literally going to be better than what we’ve gotten out of the position. Corey Dennis has been the QBs coach since 2020 and has not been poached. He had Justin fields and CJ Stroud in that room and no one even kicked the tires because he’s such an empty suit.

What’s he going to do, call 3 play action boots at the 1 yard line? We literally just did that last year all year! Oh no, he might run some stupid west coast poo poo, as opposed to this year where we basically never could run quick game because Kyle couldn’t hit a loving slant in stride with multiple first round receivers in front of him. All of the basic poo poo that Bama fans used to get enraged at him for calling are things Ohio state literally did not have this past year in the offense or executed.

Like, his Alabama offense had a weak OL from bad development and relied on 2 receivers that went down and still had Bryce win a Heisman. Much less, he got those Texans teams to the playoffs with garbage at QB. Dude got career years out of Matt McGloin and Hack—I’m not particularly worried considering if anything Day is enough of a control freak on offense to tell him to cut some poo poo if it’s bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sorry but that dude looks like the villain in a 1980s summer camp movie.