Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Visions of Valerie posted:

Has there been anything that has helped for you/people you know?

Not really. It’s pretty terrible. I use breathe right strips every night. That gives me a tiny bit of airflow through my nose. You can use Afrin or other decongestant sprays which will open your nostrils for a bit but it always reverts back and it’s probably not healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

what was the first decade that was widely referred to as "the [x]ies" (with or without an adjective)?

the earliest i've heard is some bits in Chekov's play the Cherry Orchard about the "decadent seventies" (referring to the 1870's and the reputation of French poets of the time) and at another point in the play a character refers to himself as a "man of the eighties" implying that he's socially progressive

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Did any consensus coalesce about what you're supposed to call the first decade of this century?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Badger of Basra posted:

what was the first decade that was widely referred to as "the [x]ies" (with or without an adjective)?

As far as popular usage goes, it was probably the 1890s. At least according to google ngrams.

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Nineties&year_start=1800&year_end=2019&corpus=en-US-2019&smoothing=1

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

two fish posted:

Did any consensus coalesce about what you're supposed to call the first decade of this century?

"The 2000s" is the only one I ever hear from someone who isn't an absolute dweeb. People generally seem unified around their dislike of all the other options.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
yeah if someone says one of the other things like 'the aughties' I basically just ignore them as a person whose opinion I should value forever.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I personally don't mind "the aughts" but "the aughties" is a bridge too far

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rat Patrol posted:

I personally don't mind "the aughts" but "the aughties" is a bridge too far
the naughties

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
That's just what they called me and my crew in college

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
yeah but it was referencing the amount of sex rather than the type

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Earwicker posted:

the earliest i've heard is some bits in Chekov's play the Cherry Orchard about the "decadent seventies" (referring to the 1870's and the reputation of French poets of the time) and at another point in the play a character refers to himself as a "man of the eighties" implying that he's socially progressive

That's very cool, although it might depend on when it was translated

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

yeah but it was referencing the amount of sex rather than the type

drat

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rat Patrol posted:

"the aughties"

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The naughty aughties

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

artsy fartsy posted:

Isn't there a thread for YouTube channel recommendations? I could have sworn I saw that in PYF at some point

If you aren't scared of us computer touching nerds, there's a yospos one https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3868858

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

A purely cosmetic "nose job" is a rhinoplasty. If things like septal straightening is performed (I have had this, I am also a physician) is called a septoplasty. They are two distinct procedures although it is possible to have surgery that involves both bits.

Also septoplasties aren't very effective

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

What's a good cheap way to display a bunch of pins? Little circular metal ones. Maybe in a standee or a frame with some kind of backing? What kind of material?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

kalel posted:

What's a good cheap way to display a bunch of pins? Little circular metal ones. Maybe in a standee or a frame with some kind of backing? What kind of material?

There's a pins thread that might have some advice:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970712

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about movies and other works of fiction. Is there a word or phrase for when a theme from a story gets cut short?

E.g. a monster movie where five of the victims were breaking deadly sins but the movie was already long and over budget so the film makers didn't bother with the sixth and seventh sin?

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
Are there any good rules of thumb on when food marketed as organic in the US is actually beneficial/worth the higher price? Ideally including both practical considerations (e.g., "It's worth it for leafy vegetables because they absorb the pesticides that are sprayed on them but not for gourds, which you can just wash"*) and any legal loopholes/marketing gimmicks one should keep in mind (e.g., "Products that use this phrase in their labeling don't have any actual requirements, but if you see such-and-such certification then they're required to follow these rules").

*Just made this up for illustrative purposes BTW, I have no idea if there's any truth to it.

Edit: I'm wondering mainly in terms of health. I'd buy some things like cage-free eggs regardless for environmental/animal welfare reasons.

RCarr posted:

Not really. It’s pretty terrible. I use breathe right strips every night. That gives me a tiny bit of airflow through my nose. You can use Afrin or other decongestant sprays which will open your nostrils for a bit but it always reverts back and it’s probably not healthy.

Yeah, you're not supposed to use Afrin more than three days in a row. I use it sometimes in a pinch and while it's great for providing near-instant relief, I've definitely noticed a correlation to my congestion being worse the next day.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Should I wash my (past shoulder-length) hair before or after I get a haircut? I would feel a little weird going with greasy hair but people have told me its better to do it that way.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Atahualpa posted:

Are there any good rules of thumb on when food marketed as organic in the US is actually beneficial/worth the higher price? Ideally including both practical considerations (e.g., "It's worth it for leafy vegetables because they absorb the pesticides that are sprayed on them but not for gourds, which you can just wash"*) and any legal loopholes/marketing gimmicks one should keep in mind (e.g., "Products that use this phrase in their labeling don't have any actual requirements, but if you see such-and-such certification then they're required to follow these rules").

*Just made this up for illustrative purposes BTW, I have no idea if there's any truth to it.

Edit: I'm wondering mainly in terms of health. I'd buy some things like cage-free eggs regardless for environmental/animal welfare reasons.

Yeah, you're not supposed to use Afrin more than three days in a row. I use it sometimes in a pinch and while it's great for providing near-instant relief, I've definitely noticed a correlation to my congestion being worse the next day.

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php
This is a list of 12 of the most pesticide-ridden produce where going organic might serve you well*.
As a general rule, the more delicate, exposed and aesthetic it is, the more pesticides it will have, while stuff that is underground, or has robust defense mechanisms of its own (like the thick, inedible rind of a melon) will require less/none depending on what it is.

*Unfortunately, regulation of the organic labeling is a bit tricky, with a lot of inconsistency, loopholes, and poor quality assurance in addition to outright fraud. An organic label/price doesn't necessarily mean you're getting non-GM or cleaner food.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Atahualpa posted:

Organic produce has no health benefits compared to regular produce.

Another poster cited the EWG, but they have a pretty strong bias. Try this as a better resource.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why are people so against genetically modified food?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

two fish posted:

Because the organic lobby has promoted the fear of "unnatural" means of modifying our food. The funny thing is that irradiated food is totally organic!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

two fish posted:

An assumption that "natural" is healthy, and that "organic" means "natural", neither of which is remotely true.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

two fish posted:

Monsanto, probably

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

two fish posted:

In theory, use of GM in food isn't functionally different from exploiting natural variation in crops, and provides a ton of benefits (pest resistance, extra nutrients, broader growing conditions, etc.)

In practice, the nature of Biotech companies makes their real world effects much more hazy. By far the most widely implemented genetic change in food crops is glyphosate resistance to better enable no-till farming techniques, which has the unfortunate side-effect of massively increasing herbicidal usage (and necessarily, resistance). They also contribute greatly to monoculture farming and the overall decline of genetic diversity, especially as GM crops exchange genetic material with nearby weeds. There is also some evidence to support the theory that GM crops have contributed to the rise in food allergies in recent years (through formation of novel antigens, though this is definitely controversial). Lastly, and most generally, creation of transgenic organisms is much more complicated than it may seem at first. Downstream, and unintended effects are difficult to predict, and when combined with companies among the most bad-faith, opaque, and resistant to regulation/scrutiny, it's easy to blame the technology as a whole. Theres also a fair bit of ignorant scaremongering, but there are plenty of valid criticisms as well.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Atahualpa posted:

I work at a place that makes organic and non-organic food. Organic food is a grift and if the check clears to the certifying agency and you keep a minimum level of paperwork up to date you get the stamp. We have to use organic salt. Think about that for a minute. It's not any healthier.

two fish posted:

It sounds scary and people don't understand it. There are legitimate concerns about what megacorps will do with the technology (many with regard to making it impossible to keep seed crop) but as far as health goes there are absolutely no concerns.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

DildenAnders posted:

Should I wash my (past shoulder-length) hair before or after I get a haircut? I would feel a little weird going with greasy hair but people have told me its better to do it that way.

I was told to shower the night before, shampoo/condition like normal but no spray or anything after.

You can also call your stylist and ask them if they have a preference.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
GMO food intersects with capitalism in ways that gently caress over farmers and sometimes the environment, but are just as healthy as normal food

organic labeling depends on where you live, it's not more healthy for you but if the labeling rules are enforced it is significantly better for the environment

if you live in america, Cage-Free doesn't actually mean that the chickens were treated humanely, same with Free Range or most other labels. The only thing that actually means your eggs were gathered humanely is the Certified Humane label (there might be other organizations depending where you live):

They go around checking on producers that use the label to ensure humane treatment of animals. Cage Free looks like this

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

if you live in america, Cage-Free doesn't actually mean that the chickens were treated humanely, same with Free Range or most other labels.

At my previous job the egg mixture came in a box with this label

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
lmao at least they say it on the thing

they're technically cage free but they're not living lives that are anything approaching humane

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I seem to remember in one of the early Pynchon novels set in the 50's or 60's some female character having a big internal monologue about how so many ladies are getting plastic surgery to have a retroussé nose. It can't be a recent trend.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

[organic food] is significantly better for the environment

This might depend on region as well, although unless anything's changed in the last couple years, this isn't true either. Organic just means you can't use the really effective pesticides on your crops, so you either have to use more of the stuff the organic labeling agency says is ok or use stuff like copper sulfate which is terrible for the environment. Methods that qualify as organic are also often less efficient, meaning you need to use more land to get the same amount of yield, which leads to more deforestation.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a digital alarm clock? I want something that's traditional with red numerals, a segmented display, and a loud alarm.

My cheapo clock from Amazon is amazing except the time stops running when you set the alarm or the time. So you can very carefully synch it up to the proper time, but if you're resetting the alarm it's going to get worse and worse. I just reset it a few weeks ago, very carefully, and it's already 35 seconds ahead from me changing the alarm.

I need exact time, easy to see from a long way away with bad vision, and don't want it to connect to the internet or have a touch screen or show me the weather or anything. A very basic display but accurate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a digital alarm clock? I want something that's traditional with red numerals, a segmented display, and a loud alarm.

My cheapo clock from Amazon is amazing except the time stops running when you set the alarm or the time. So you can very carefully synch it up to the proper time, but if you're resetting the alarm it's going to get worse and worse. I just reset it a few weeks ago, very carefully, and it's already 35 seconds ahead from me changing the alarm.

I need exact time, easy to see from a long way away with bad vision, and don't want it to connect to the internet or have a touch screen or show me the weather or anything. A very basic display but accurate.

What I did for my alarm clock, which I'm really happy with, is to get a travel clock. Instead of being able to read the clock from a distance, I just blindly reach out to the bedside table, grab the clock, haul it to an inch in front of my face, and read it that way.

Amusingly, my current clock's light-up mode is so bright that I had to put red tape across the display, which blocks like 99% of the light. So now it is only possible to read in the dark with the light on.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Exact time and not connected to the internet and having it be an alarm clock is tough to find. If you want exact time it needs to grab a signal from NIST or you need an oven controlled oscillator. Or just get really lucky with a cheapo one. This was the closest I could find https://www.amazon.com/Equity-Crosse-30228-Alarm-Clock/dp/B000QRAUPM?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER but no idea how accurate it’ll be over time.

I would recommend the one I have since it seems to check all your boxes, only have to adjust it once a year but it’s an almost 30 year old relic from RadioShack. Looks a bit like the one I linked

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

It seems like I'm just asking for two different products: an alarm clock and something that keeps very precise time down to the second. But these shouldn't be two things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

What exactly is freemasonry, in a practical sense? By that I don't mean in terms of beliefs, but in what they do when they meet.

Is it just a social club where you hang out with a bunch of guys? Networking? Have dinners together?