Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Yes, Durge is still mostly the same as Tav

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Wisdom proficiency wouldn’t hurt though :3:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Deuce posted:

No, I mean when you just quit the game normally, and it's supposed to save the game.

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA

what?? was that patched in

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

pmchem posted:

I don't think so. I put a huge wad of cash at camp because I was concerned about getting robbed with $9000 on me (you never know) and shops just let me pay by direct debit.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say what you will about the allegiances of one Lord Enver Gortash, the man runs a tight API.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Seems Scratch manages my account better than I ever could!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Deuce posted:

Also after like five hundred hours in this game I just learned YOU CAN SHOP USING CASH THAT IS IN YOUR CAMP CHEST YOU DON'T HAVE TO CARRY IT WITH YOU AAAA

Well poo poo. That sure would have helped out a few times!

The camp chest is the most powerful artifact in the game.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You start the game with a bag of holding

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Magic Pockets is a goddamn life saver

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Legit had no idea about the camp chest thing Jesus gently caress. We stalled at act iii. Overwhelmed. Too big. Need a break. This game is really starting to feel like too much of a good thing.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Act III is too crammed, with confusing quest markers that seriously need cleanup. Also half the quests in lower city at some point deciding “go to the sewers” is a navigational nightmare.

Act I and II kept majority of quests in one specific area, Act III for some reason ditched this concept completely.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The pacing in act 3 is really bad imo and I’ve had like 4 playthroughs stall out because act 1 is a good somewhat meandering interaction to the game, then it tightens up in act 2 and just goes wild in act 3 in a way that feels incoherent a lot of the time. It feels very theme parky at times

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

I think I would've preferred four acts,, with II and III dealing with a single main antagonist rather than three main antagonists crammed into act III. The Orin content in particular is what throws III over the edge from manageable to overwhelming. Having Act III be the Orin Chapter and occur on the road to Baldur's Gate would've been preferable to me.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

For me I wonder how much of the pacing would’ve been fixed by having the shadow cursed lands and ketheric/netherbrain be act 3 instead and then have act 2 be Baldur’s gate where you defeat orin and gortash and then have to go defeat ketheric at moonrise before he can unleash the brain and the army of the absolute on the city

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I think you'll always have the issue that act 3 has to resolve the personal stories and accommodate the most variety in player journeys to that point

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I downloaded a bunch of new mods. Got some cool durge armor where now I look like an evil Alfira. Also installed something that scales enemies with your character, one that makes the legendary mace do radiant damage, one that adds two upgrades for the underdark sword in the stone and the companion reactivity mod. I love how big the modding community is in this game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The nature of Act 3 was always going to be more episodic given that they had to actually close out all the plotlines set up in the first half of the game. I don't really have a problem any of that but I approach A3 with the idea that I'm closing out each character's arc and tend to pair them up until I've finished everything related to their personal quests.

The only segment that really drags for me is the End of Act 2 --> Rivington section until you get to the Circus. Lots of dialogue and the slow narrative lurch as like 4 new characters all get introduced.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I personally love how act 3 is. It reminds me of how I felt at the end of BG1 and at the beginning of BG2. Just this giant city, never knowing what's around the next corner and being rewarded for exploring everything.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Needs 4 acts leave act 3 the way it is and then act 4 is upper city and the size of act 3.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

bird with big dick posted:

Needs 4 acts leave act 3 the way it is and then act 4 is upper city and the size of act 3.

Let them cook

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Also act 3 suffers from motivation for exploring since early act 3 you hit lvl 12 and at that point you can already guess any remaining magic items of value are likely going to be earned from big quest resolves rather than exploration.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shard posted:

I personally love how act 3 is. It reminds me of how I felt at the end of BG1 and at the beginning of BG2. Just this giant city, never knowing what's around the next corner and being rewarded for exploring everything.

Same. It feels more real and open to me. I don't really understand the pacing concern because it seems like the pacing is up to the player.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Okay think I'm going to be ahead of schedule here and do a second playthrough as durge. I have one non-spoiler question and one spoiler question:

1) are there any quality of life mods Y'all really like That weren't around at release?

2) which animals are Not To Be Interacted With As Durge to Avoid Unfortunate Events?

I am planning on a goody two shoes play through except the points where you would have to deliberately break the game to avoid durge consequences.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Several Durgey decisions can result in animal death...

- Don't take any of the italicized dialogue options when encountering Steelclaw in Act 2
- Don't kill Isobel if you want to save His Majesty in Act 2
- Have one of Halsin, Gale, or Lae'zel at camp when you visit the sewers in Act 3
- Don't pick fights with squirrels

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

This - but unironically

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Several Durgey decisions can result in animal death...

- Have one of Halsin, Gale, or Lae'zel at camp when you visit the sewers in Act 3

I'm confused, Is there anybody who doesn't make haslin ride the pine their entire playthrough?

This time I'm loving Lizzy. She told me I'd regret it if I didn't on the first playthrough and I'm not too proud to say she was right.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Same. It feels more real and open to me. I don't really understand the pacing concern because it seems like the pacing is up to the player.

For me personally, it’s a combination of a few things.

I really like the feel of Act III. I like an urban environment, since it poses lots of interesting—and as yet unexplored—kinds of encounters in the game.

But, and after a bunch of time with the game I feel like I can articulate this a little better, the way units of exploration are so hermetically sealed from one another, and yeah the actual barriers are invisible, sure, but it is this way, plus the sheer number of NPCs, locations, points of interaction, all that stuff, it makes the game feel the most artificial and most expansive all at once.

These are small complaints. Eventually I’m gonna stumble into something insane and not care again, but at this exact moment, instead of feeling joyfully overwhelmed at all the possibilities, I’m feeling joylessly overwhelmed at each isolated encounter.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I brought Halsin around in Act 2 any time we were dealing with Ghost Boy stuff. It was fine. You kind of wrap up his whole arc pretty quick and then he’s kind of a generic dude.

Then you immediately get Jaheira and if you’re gonna bring a Druid, definitely bring her.

I can’t get Rafael’s Final Act out of my head. The composer should have won a lot of awards. I loved the DOS2 soundtrack too and holy cow did he keep it up.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

pmchem posted:

I'm pretty sure it must have been, I've had insufficient funds for purchases before and had to run back to camp to physically haul more gold

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If they hadn't gone so hard on leitmotif and had more than like, three melodies in the entire game, the soundtrack would be GOAT'd and I'd be pissed that they lost out to ff16 at TGA. As is it's great but listening to it on spotify makes it clear how much it repeats itself.

quote="Potato Salad" post="537268780"]
I'm pretty sure it must have been, I've had insufficient funds for purchases before and had to run back to camp to physically haul more gold
[/quote]

Overdraft fees in Baldur's Gate are a real fucker, but what are you gonna do when there's a single bank with no competition or regulation to speak of?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm confused, Is there anybody who doesn't make haslin ride the pine their entire playthrough?

I'm not sure what 'ride the pine' means but apparently Halsin is pretty popular elsewhere on the Internet, presumably among perverts who are into bear sex

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure what 'ride the pine' means but apparently Halsin is pretty popular elsewhere on the Internet, presumably among perverts who are into bear sex

It means being benched, i.e. sitting on the bench and watching the game from the sidelines.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

It's a colloquialism for somebody who's been benched on a sports team. Also he's a horny druid so it works on a few levels.

My only real problem with act 3 is that they clearly made an effort to have the city interact with you based on your behaviors but it's nowhere near in line with the significance of what you're doing. A couple of the minor characters will live or die and the guards will get kind of passively snippy and the big robots will fall over, But it's meant to feel like a fascist reactionary state driven into an uproar over refugees and you just kind of frolic around causing poo poo and never facing any meaningful consequences.

The only other real criticism I get about act 3 is for folks who want to very actively control the outcome for their character. Some of the stuff isn't telegraphed very well and you can end up making accidentally critical decisions that you really had no fair warning about. I don't feel so much that that's a very fair criticism because you should either be cool with not knowing things your character wouldn't know or be cool with using a guide.

Me, I'll shamelessly use a guide on my first playthrough. I just knew ahead of time what order I needed to do particular things in and ended up with the outcome I wanted.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Angry Diplomat posted:

It means being benched, i.e. sitting on the bench and watching the game from the sidelines.

I'd have never guessed that's what it meant, since "ride the pine" sounds a lot like "sit on some wood" which is easily a euphemism for a right good penising.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I'd have never guessed that's what it meant, since "ride the pine" sounds a lot like "sit on some wood" which is easily a euphemism for a right good penising.

This is a very online interpretation of it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

:same:

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

chaosapiant posted:

right, so if the bench in question was made of wood you would then be....sitting on some wood, which requires no extra interpretation to get.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's the "riding" that got me. Sorry

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jay Rust posted:

it's the "riding" that got me. Sorry

This. Plus, it's not a "bench in question" if you don't already know the phrase is regarding a bench/being benched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I kind of assumed from context that it referred to benchwarming, but I agree that it sounds vaguely naughty