Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

That's nissa

Actually you'll find that that's Queen Doppelpopolis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Elblanco posted:

I checked the two stores I usually play at and one is charging $40 and the other is still at $30. Weird.

I assume you checked their sites, do they mention what the prizing, if any, would be like? One might be offering much less than the other to make it work

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

HootTheOwl posted:

Prereleases are sealed kits now, aren't they?
A change in the price of boosters doesn't change that like it would have in the old days

Why not? It's still six boosters, I would assume that the store cost is going up on these kits in line with everything else. I had expected a $5-6 increase in prerelease kits since the packs are $1 more.

The prizing at my store has stayed the same as in the past: a pack per win.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TacoNight posted:

Why not? It's still six boosters, I would assume that the store cost is going up on these kits in line with everything else. I had expected a $5-6 increase in prerelease kits since the packs are $1 more.

The prizing at my store has stayed the same as in the past: a pack per win.

Because it's a sealed box that's not for individual sale. There's no connection between what's in the box and it's price unless wotc also increases the price of the kits.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Other posted:

I assume you checked their sites, do they mention what the prizing, if any, would be like? One might be offering much less than the other to make it work

I forgot to check initially actually. The $30 store has top 8 payout and gives 2 prize packs for signing up on the mtg companion app. The $40 store doesn't say so I've asked on discord but I think they've previously done pack per win.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i tried to do a vintage cube draft for the first time and i forgot to draft threats and then went 0-3

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mezzanon posted:

lol this card slams directly into pauper inside out combo
And it looks very good

friends, we've reached the end times

they loving power crept evolving wilds

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Silhouette posted:

That happened years ago, just not at common (Fabled Passage)

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you thought this week’s Pauper event on Arena was lousy with Kiln Fiends, wait until the next one

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Actually you'll find that that's Queen Doppelpopolis

I wouldn't want to bingle or bongle the Doppelpopolis.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/secret-lair-commander-deck-raining-cats-and-dogs

$149.99 eat my entire rear end Wizards of the Coast. I'll try to pick up the new arts as singles.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

LifeLynx posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/announcements/secret-lair-commander-deck-raining-cats-and-dogs

$149.99 eat my entire rear end Wizards of the Coast. I'll try to pick up the new arts as singles.

Bummer. The singles strategy will be mine as well.

Is there a gatherer (or scryfall) command where I can see every card that has an elephant in its art?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Really relying on Annointed Procession to sell that deck.

At least the Angel deck had good value spread out through the cards with new art.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Bummer. The singles strategy will be mine as well.

Is there a gatherer (or scryfall) command where I can see every card that has an elephant in its art?

https://scryfall.com/search?q=art%3Aelephant&unique=art&as=grid&order=name

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That happened years ago, just not at common (Fabled Passage)

That doesn't count because it's a rare, that's like calling the proper fetchlands power crept versions of the mirage slow fetches even though they were printed at different rarities

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

God drat that is an unimpressive deck. Hell, the Doctor Who precons had better lands than that. A real shame, I wanted the Jetmir and the Anointed Procession.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Really relying on Annointed Procession to sell that deck.

And, just a hunch, it'll get a reprint in this year's big reprint set too.

Feels like that's what they've done with a lot of the chase cards last year. "Oh hey, here's a secret lair for a card we haven't printed in a long time that's high in demand! Haha just kidding, we'll print it in two other sets this year too. Thanks for the 39.99 plus shipping."

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

Yes, since at least mh1 with Vista

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
is there anywhere online where i can practice RVR sealed? there's a RCQ coming up and i wanted to get some practice in but it doesn't look like the format is on magic online or arena

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Because it's a sealed box that's not for individual sale. There's no connection between what's in the box and it's price unless wotc also increases the price of the kits.

The contents are the new packs though, which they're selling for a higher price so I would expect them to charge stores more. I just signed up for my prerelease and it was still $30 though so who knows.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/c9wxpN1G00CJJhcBYYTKDg

Moxfield for pricing reference. Looks like $240 on tcgplayer, lol 20% of that is anointed procession.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

The contents are the new packs though, which they're selling for a higher price so I would expect them to charge stores more. I just signed up for my prerelease and it was still $30 though so who knows.

You get in trouble if you do this

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

You get in trouble if you do this

What is the "this" that you're referring to?

Wizards does not "get in trouble" for raising the wholesale prices on their product if that's what you're implying.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

Lmfao I floated the idea of purchasing this for my partner but yeah 1000% gently caress that, I'm gonna proxy the entire thing now, eat poo poo wotc

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

LifeLynx posted:

$150 and they still can't be pissed to include shock or fetchlands.

As of two years ago you could proxy six commander decks for this price.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jabor posted:

What is the "this" that you're referring to?

Wizards does not "get in trouble" for raising the wholesale prices on their product if that's what you're implying.

If you crack open your prerelease kits to sell the contents individually you, the store, get in trouble.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
No one's talking about that we're talking about whether WotC is being greedy expecting more for prerelease packs given they're play boosters which are more expensive than even set boosters were.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No one's talking about that

Except of course, and the whole reason I mentioned it at all, who I first quoted

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Lol I assume WOTC doesn't give a poo poo about stores breaking open prerelease kits because local LGS have been very open about doing this for years.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

:laffo:

About three years ago, I made my fiancee a Rin and Seri deck. The thing I really really sprang for at the time was a Great Henge. Last year I put in two proxy dual lands. It's nice to know the deck I made for her for Christmas is not as boring as that deck.

https://archidekt.com/decks/928845/lindas_deck

At the very least the precon has Jetmir's Garden in it.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 19, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

No one's talking about that we're talking about whether WotC is being greedy expecting more for prerelease packs given they're play boosters which are more expensive than even set boosters were.

https://mtgscribe.com/2024/01/12/play-boosters-a-price-per-pack-analysis/

They aren't more expensive than set boosters on a pack basis. On a box basis yes, but that's because Play Booster boxes have 36 packs (like draft booster boxes) and Set Booster boxes have 30.

If you frequent a store that is charging more for Play Boosters than Set Boosters, I would suggest shopping elsewhere because they're using SKU confusion as cover to raise their prices.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
You’re right that’s a good point. I confess I’ve never even looked at buying a set booster before. They’re for junkies :smugmrgw:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The deck's fine, it's almost a match to my list. I needed to make some concessions for cards that I considered too on-theme and cute not to play, and whoever designed this list must have had the same love for the theme I do. I cut Basilisk Collar, but if it has the dog art I forgive them. The real insult is the lands.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Jiro posted:

:laffo:

About three years ago, I made my fiancee a Rin and Seri deck. The thing I really really sprang for at the time was a Great Henge. Last year I put in two proxy dual lands. It's nice to know the deck I made for her for Christmas is not as boring as that deck.

https://archidekt.com/decks/928845/lindas_deck

At the very least the precon has Jetmir's Garden in it.

Holy poo poo I didn't notice it didn't have Jetmir's Garden, that's loving pathetic

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You’re right that’s a good point. I confess I’ve never even looked at buying a set booster before. They’re for junkies :smugmrgw:

Very true. I went down a dark Set booster path for about 6 months.... the dark time.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't notice it didn't have Jetmir's Garden, that's loving pathetic

If you're talking about the precon, it does. Check the "Other" section, because their decklist generator is hot garbage.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
The opacity of WotC's prices is so frustrating, I really, really hate the lack of MSRP. I'm sure it has let them gently caress with pricing and make beaucoup bucks without pissing off LGSs too much, but good lord it sucks as a consumer.

I don't care too much about shifting to Play Boosters as long as draft is still fun (having multiple booster types is loving stupid anyhow), and I get that prices need to go up sometimes, but the lack of transparency is maddening.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

It does have Jetmir's Garden though?

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/c9wxpN1G00CJJhcBYYTKDg

Unless you're calling the deck I made pathetic........that's fair......gonna go cry now. :emo:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
MSRP doesn't stop stores from scalping.

The newest set of the One Piece Card Game is super under-printed because Bandai sucks, boxes are MSRP $110 but stores who have confirmed allocations of the new print wave are still charging $300 for them because that's current market price.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sickening posted:

Lol I assume WOTC doesn't give a poo poo about stores breaking open prerelease kits because local LGS have been very open about doing this for years.

This isn't true

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

MSRP doesn't stop stores from scalping.

The newest set of the One Piece Card Game is super under-printed because Bandai sucks, boxes are MSRP $110 but stores who have confirmed allocations of the new print wave are still charging $300 for them because that's current market price.

They probably wouldn't under print stuff if they didn't have FIVE tcgs right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Elblanco posted:

They probably wouldn't under print stuff if they didn't have FIVE tcgs right now.

Oh yeah absolutely, they suck rear end, I'm just trying to make the point that an MSRP being there doesn't make it so packs would suddenly be not pricegouged by stores.