Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

fez_machine posted:

Champ Ishii

:sickos:

Tomohiro Ishii, asked to save the company after all those years never winning the title:

https://i.imgur.com/bBuADRe.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

gently caress this stupid business.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Having pondered this for hours now I'm very torn between my main reaction being "between all the stuff going on with New Japan and all the stuff going on with All Japan it's looking a lot like we're in for early-2000s dark ages dire straits in the scene again, boys" and ":rubby: Tanahashi's first three acts as president were Give Self Belt, Hire Riddle, and Watch Okada Leave"

So. Both are extremely bad, but one's at least funny

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

The worst thing about this whole situation is that Kaito will never get his win back

e: Oh poo poo the thought just occured to me, does this news all but guarantee that Okada and Pals will be dropping the belts to Big Fuj and his Aussie Uncles at New Beginning?

I've changed my mind, New Japan has been saved

SG Bamboo fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 19, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He's not going anywhere, he just wants to win at Forbidden Door 3.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well that sucks :saddowns:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Almost all the big names that were in NJPW when I had my first taste in Korakuen in 2018 are gone.

Kenny
Bucks
Hangman
Ospreay
Juice
Jay White
Aussie Open (idk if they were there)
Okada

Suzuki, Naito, Ishii and a very busted, very corrupt President Ace are the last big ones standing.

I got lucky getting to go to WK17 because now in retrospect it looks like that’s going to be the end of the era, the last Kingdom where almost all the big ones in the old guard (god that’s sad to say) were present. (18 was good but nothing on that card compared to Omega/Will)

I’m also realizing that Kenny may be done and I may have seen his last dome match ever and that makes me feel sad and lucky at the same time.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Does Okada like surfing?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The main eventers from the last five years of dome shows who are still with the company are Naito, SANADA, and Shingo. Gone are Okada/Ibushi/White/Ospreay kinda.

For reference, for WWE the last five years of Wrestlemania main events, still with WWE are Charlotte/Becky/AJ/Brock/McIntyre/Bianca/Roman/Owens/Jimmy Uso/Jay Uso/Sami/Cody, gone are Ronda/Undertaker/Sasha/Edge/Bryan/Stone Cold, and two of those are retirement.

It shows how a great chunk of the top end of New Japan has left for various (money) reasons, but also there's room for people to grow. It's not an apples to orange comparison because Wrassle Kingdome had people maining both nights while Wrestlemania hasn't (yet), but there's room to freshen up the top of the cards for New Japan, mostly out of necessity.

I said this in the prediction thread, but out of the new blood that's made their big returns in the past year or so, I'd say one to two get the big belt this year and one wins the G1 for certain. It's sink or swim for those kids whether Gedo and Co. wanted it to be that way or not.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Tanahashi lifted New Japan out of the Dark Ages, and by god he's bringing bad times back so he can do it all over again.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I think njpw will be fine and 2024 will be an all timer year and the return of two block G1

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I think njpw will be fine and 2024 will be an all timer year and the return of two block G1

insha'Allah

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It better be two block they don't have the roster for four block nonsense anyway

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't decide if the sheer madness of this makes it more or less likely Mox gets a short run with the belt. Either way, what the gently caress

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hopefully less. Can't be doing with part-timers on top.

Anyway, Naito should probably have a fairly long reign with the roll call being interrupted by increasingly comical people, culminating in Captain New Japan

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Here's hoping Okada' last match will involve him getting pinned by YOSHI-HASHI :pray:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's hoping Okada' last match will involve him getting pinned by Yoshitatsu

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

naM sdrawkcaB posted:

Here's hoping Okada' last match will involve him getting pinned by YOSHI-HASHI :pray:

https://www.njpw1972.com/168269

they've moved up the trios match and okada vs tana is on osaka

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

New Beginning in Nagoya
January 20th at 3:00 EST/8:00 GMT/17:00 JST
Dolphins Arena

Kickoff Match 30 minutes before gong:Shoma Kato vs. Katsuya Murashima
Shota Umino and Tomoaki Honma vs. House Of Torture (Ren Narita and Yujiro Takahashi)
United Empire (Cobb, Henare, Catch 2/2, Newman) vs. BC War Dogs (Finlay, Coughlin, Kidd, Connors, and Maloney)
DespeWato vs. House of Torture (Yoshinobu Kanemaru and SHO)
G.o.D (El Phantasmo and Hikuleo) vs. Bullet Club (KENTA and Chase Owens)
Okada, Tana, Ishii, and Makabe vs. TMDK (ZSJ, Haste, Nicholls, and Fujita)
L.I.J (Naito, Shingo, Tsuji, Hiromu, and BUSHI) vs. Just 5 Guys (SANADA, Taichi, Uemura, DOUKI, and TAKA)
KOPW 2024 Provisional:Taiji Ishimori(h) vs. Great-O-Khan
NEVER Openweight Championship:Tama Tonga(c) vs. EVIL

Road to THE NEW BEGINNING
January 23rd at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

Ryusuke Taguchi and Katsuya Murashima vs. YOH and Shoma Kato
United Empire (Cobb, Henare, Catch 2/2, Newman) vs. BC War Dogs (Finlay, Coughlin, Kidd, Connors, and Maloney)
G.o.D (El-P, Hikuleo, and Jado) vs. Bullet Club (KENTA, Chase Owens, and Taiji Ishimori)
Okada, Tana, Ishii, and Honma vs. TMDK (ZSJ, Haste, Nicholls, and Fujita)
Tama Tonga, Shota Umino, and Togi Makabe vs. House of Torture (EVIL, Ren Narita, an Yujiro Takahashi)
L.I.J (Naito, Shingo, Tsuji, Hiromu, and BUSHI) vs. Just 5 Guys (SANADA, Taichi, Uemura, DOUKI, and TAKA)
Master Wato vs. SHO
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champiobship:El Desperado(c) vs. Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Road to THE NEW BEGINNING
January 24th at 4:30 EST/9:30 GMT/18:30 JST
Korakuen Hall

Toru Yano and Katsuya Murashima vs. Boltin Oleg and Shoma Kato
El-P, Hikuleo, and Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Bullet Club (KENTA, Chase Owens, and Taiji Ishimori)
Tiger Mask vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
Tonga, Despe, Wato, and Honma vs. House of Torture (EVIL,SHO, Yujiro, and Kanemaru)
L.I.J (Shingo Takagi, Yota Tsuji, and BUSHI) vs. Just 5 Guys (Taichi, Yuya Uemura, and TAKA Michinoku)
L.i.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi) vs. Just 5 Guys (SANADA and DOUKI)
NEVER Openweight Troios Championhip: Kazuchika Okada, Hirohi Tanahashi, and Tomohiro Ishii(c) vs. TMDK (Mikey Nicholls, Shane Haste, and Kosei Fujita)
Shota Umino vs. Ren Narita

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lmfao

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
gg it was good while it lasted

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Looking forward to Yoshi-Hashi doing the Triple H "Shawn dropped the ball" promo in the coming weeks.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

oh god he’s coming to finish Shibata off for good

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
My guess is that Seth got properly injured during the Jinder match and WWE made a stupid offer to save their big match with Punk. Shame, I enjoyed watching Okada

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

ThePariah posted:

Tanahashi lifted New Japan out of the Dark Ages, and by god he's bringing bad times back so he can do it all over again.

Takahashi cutting the Vince "in gonna kill my creation / object a lethal dose of poison" promo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Takahashi cutting the Vince "in gonna kill my creation / object a lethal dose of poison" promo

Tanahashi awkwardly taking the mic away from Hiromu and asking him to go take his seat.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SG Bamboo posted:

The worst thing about this whole situation is that Kaito will never get his win back

e: Oh poo poo the thought just occured to me, does this news all but guarantee that Okada and Pals will be dropping the belts to Big Fuj and his Aussie Uncles at New Beginning?

I've changed my mind, New Japan has been saved

Fuj pins Okada. :pray:

This is AJ and Nakamura leaving after WK all over again, except Okada is more prominent than Nak and Ospreay is more homegrown and longer-tenured than AJ.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Told Ultimo before he told the company

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

okada is washed and busted, the company can now invest fully in tsuji time

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

Ultimo saying he hasn't decided yet makes it sound like he just rage quit NJPW after seeing a picture of Kaito Kiyomiya and doesn't actually know what he's doing next

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Fuj pins Okada. :pray:

This is AJ and Nakamura leaving after WK all over again, except Okada is more prominent than Nak and Ospreay is more homegrown and longer-tenured than AJ.

AJ and Nak leaving allowed for Omega to step up to HW which made room for Ospreay (and Takahashi) and they could really cement Okada as the top guy.

Ospreay leaving should give Zack a boost and following him should be Gabe Kidd.

Okada leaving should let Naito have a proper god tier run up top. If not Shingo is there.
Major difference is theres no clear youngster to pick up the torch like with Okada. But they've got some great candidates.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Kaveman posted:

AJ and Nak leaving allowed for Omega to step up to HW which made room for Ospreay (and Takahashi) and they could really cement Okada as the top guy.

Ospreay leaving should give Zack a boost and following him should be Gabe Kidd.

Okada leaving should let Naito have a proper god tier run up top. If not Shingo is there.
Major difference is theres no clear youngster to pick up the torch like with Okada. But they've got some great candidates.

I really hope this isn't true. Naito got the roll call, it was a great moment, have him lose to that young (tbd) NJC winner and force the future.

Or that fanfiction that got posted about Mox winning the belt and turning heel on Shota. That'd be pretty funny

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

I really hope this isn't true. Naito got the roll call, it was a great moment, have him lose to that young (tbd) NJC winner and force the future.

Or that fanfiction that got posted about Mox winning the belt and turning heel on Shota. That'd be pretty funny

That's fair, I'm not the biggest Naito fan but I just like to see if he could pull off a reign on top. He's had 3 reigns (HW) before this and lost it his first defense each time.
I do believe it should be Tsuji to dethrone him so if they're ready after NJC I'm game for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kaveman posted:

That's fair, I'm not the biggest Naito fan but I just like to see if he could pull off a reign on top. He's had 3 reigns (HW) before this and lost it his first defense each time.
I do believe it should be Tsuji to dethrone him so if they're ready after NJC I'm game for that.

Naito won his first defense the last two times he held the belt, KENTA and EVIL. He should probably hold the belt awhile this time though he's by far their biggest star and they don't have a young guy built up to beat him right now. Do it right, don't rush it onto someone who wins the NJC.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

So if one of Okada's last matches is putting over one of the young guys, who should it be? Shota and Tsuji both feel like they have their own 'mountains' to climb, Ren Narita kinda just sucks. Is it Uemura by default?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Pylons posted:

So if one of Okada's last matches is putting over one of the young guys, who should it be? Shota and Tsuji both feel like they have their own 'mountains' to climb, Ren Narita kinda just sucks. Is it Uemura by default?

Uemura's last match before excursion was with Okada so that's the answer, IMO

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

That wasn't fanfiction, it's real and it's going to happen! :byodame:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pylons posted:

Kaito would be my pick if he's jumping over or even if NOAH are continuing to loan him out.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Is there any chance that Hiromu gets bumped up out of the juniors division because of all this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Naito won his first defense the last two times he held the belt, KENTA and EVIL. He should probably hold the belt awhile this time though he's by far their biggest star and they don't have a young guy built up to beat him right now. Do it right, don't rush it onto someone who wins the NJC.

My bad, you are correct. Thought they jumped straight to EVIL.

I mean if they can give SANADA nearly a year they can give Naito some time.

Has Takahashi showed any interest in moving up to HW? Edit: beaten