Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Mine's purple. It's a nice color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mine's green, like another card I have.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I guess I have to apply for the card first and then I can change it to the sunglasses doggo? Yes I’m totally opening up a new credit card based on looks. I’m gonna have the coolest credit card for the bartender to hold on to for a tab.

E: similarly I’m mildly interested in the NASA FCU cards if only just for the designs.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 28, 2023

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I guess I have to apply for the card first and then I can change it to the sunglasses doggo? Yes I’m totally opening up a new credit card based on looks. I’m gonna have the coolest credit card for the bartender to hold on to for a tab.

E: similarly I’m mildly interested in the NASA FCU cards if only just for the designs.

Get an Amex plat you’ll get compliments.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

quote:

Adding a new card means getting an additional card with the same account information. Once you activate the new card, you can still continue to use any other cards you may have. Remember, adding a new card is free and each user can have up to 4 card designs.
Up to 4 designs! Yeah, it sounds like once you get your original you can request 3 additional cards with different designs. The space one looks cool. Also upgrading my purple card to a purple card with a monogram also sounds tempting.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

So apparently at some point the American Express Blue Cash Everyday started giving 3% cash back on "U.S. Online Retail Purchases" in addition to groceries and gas. I have no idea when this category was added but the detailed list looks pretty good:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/rewards-info/retail.html posted:

Examples* of purchases that will earn additional rewards include, but are not limited to:

Major retailers (e.g., Amazon.com, Walmart.com)
Pet stores (e.g., Chewy.com)
Furniture stores (e.g., Wayfair.com)
Department stores
Drug Stores
Book stores
Auto & home supply stores
Personal and household care
Toy & Hobby stores
Computer & Electronic stores
Apparel, Footwear, and Accessories stores
Sporting goods stores

*This is not a complete list.

Additional list of categories where you will NOT earn additional rewards include:

Airline tickets
Concert ticket purchases
Food delivery platforms
Online grocery orders
Rideshare services
Streaming services
Wireless cellular providers

That list isn't bad. I think 3% is the highest credit card rewards rate I've seen on Chewy, and some of the other ones like electronics and sporting goods I think generally require picking them on the Cash+ or some other level of finagling to get over 2-2.5%. I haven't used my Blue Cash Everyday except for the merchant-specific offers for a while but I'll definitely try and remember to use it more going forward.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yup, but I believe it's only up to $6k spend per year so it's something that, given the list of stores, many people will max out well before the end of the year. It took me a while to realize this after I started noticing Amazon purchases were no longer showing up as 3% in the transaction lists (at first I thought marketplace purchases were no longer triggering it).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Strangely, that's on the Blue Cash Everyday but not the Blue Cash Preferred.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.

Splinter posted:

Yup, but I believe it's only up to $6k spend per year so it's something that, given the list of stores, many people will max out well before the end of the year. It took me a while to realize this after I started noticing Amazon purchases were no longer showing up as 3% in the transaction lists (at first I thought marketplace purchases were no longer triggering it).

I believe that the Bank of America Customized Cash covers all the same types of stores listed in Shear Modulus's post (as well as some other stuff like meal kits) if you select Online Shopping as your 3% category. It's up to $2500 spend per quarter, so it might be worth looking into if you're hitting the limit on the BCE.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

astral posted:

Strangely, that's on the Blue Cash Everyday but not the Blue Cash Preferred.

Amex does this with their other cards too. For example, the Amex Green gives 3X points on hotels, Amex Gold has no bonus for hotels.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

drk posted:

Amex does this with their other cards too. For example, the Amex Green gives 3X points on hotels, Amex Gold has no bonus for hotels.

Yeah, but those are completely different cards; the BCP is positioned as a strict upgrade to the BCE, but in that one field it isn't exactly. Do they even let you have both BCE+BCP at the same time? I want to say no.

I'd guess they'd add something similar to the BCP eventually.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

astral posted:

Yeah, but those are completely different cards; the BCP is positioned as a strict upgrade to the BCE, but in that one field it isn't exactly. Do they even let you have both BCE+BCP at the same time? I want to say no.

I'd guess they'd add something similar to the BCP eventually.

I started with a BCE and added a BCP maybe a year later - we are a large family with 4 small kids, so we max out that 6x at grocery stores, at least we did until I started using the Custom Cash for grocery shopping for 5x up to $500/month with no annual fee. I rarely use the BCE but maybe it should go back into rotation!

The BCP is now mainly for my online video streaming services, and the Disney bundle rebate, but I may need to reassess in 2024.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 1, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I currently have a plain Chase Freedom, which I've had for several years. If I go for the Freedom Unlimited (2x cashback and no annual fee), does that replace my current Freedom or do I end up with two cards and two balances?

Space Fish posted:

That depends on what "go for" means. If you product change the Freedom into the Unlimited, then the Unlimited will replace your current Freedom.
You could always apply for the Unlimited separately and enjoy the offers on both cards, assuming you're okay with a short-term, minor ding to your credit score resulting from the hard pull.

My Redstone FCU card finally arrived, which means my Costco Visa will swap out for the membership card. Time for Congress to pass their anti-rewards bill now that my stack of 5% rewards is just about complete.

Just FYI, the offer on the Unlimited is for new applications only. Can't get the promotional rates by changing product to it. I went for the new card and I can live with the hard pull.

For anyone wanting the link: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom-unlimited/affiliates2023matchtest

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Not sure if it's new or not, but I was able to get a straight 150k MR sign-up bonus on Amex Platinum through a referral link. Alternatively there's the Resy referral with 100k + 6 months of 10x at restaurants, which is probably just as good if you eat out a bunch.

https://resy.com/global-dining-access?date=2024-01-18&seats=2

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I need a good cash back card that I can use as my main card to replace my lovely 2% gas and restaurants-1% all else Discover. I never eat out, so it sucks pretty hard. I don’t wanna apply and juggle for a bunch of cards and destroy my credit. Credit is low-700s. I don’t care about interest rate or promos involving that because I never carry a balance.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Valicious posted:

I need a good cash back card that I can use as my main card to replace my lovely 2% gas and restaurants-1% all else Discover. I never eat out, so it sucks pretty hard. I don’t wanna apply and juggle for a bunch of cards and destroy my credit. Credit is low-700s. I don’t care about interest rate or promos involving that because I never carry a balance.

Wells Fargo 2% everything card? If you don't want to chase sign up bonuses and monthly categories, that's a nice simple card.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Valicious posted:

The 2% card everyone has is the Citi Double Cash (but make sure to get direct deposits instead of statement credits). Wells Fargo has a popular 2% card if you prefer Visa, Amex has the Blue Business Cash if you prefer them. If you have or are willing to get a credit union account with Alliant, they have a 2.5% cash back card.

The Chase Freedom Unlimited is currently 3% cash back for the first year, but only for the first $20,000 spent, and reverts to 1.5% when you hit that amount or after that year, so isn't as good a pick if you want to just get one card.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Alliant 2.5% cash back requires $1,000 minimum account and at least one deposit per month.

That and the Fidelity 2% cash back card have no foreign transaction fees, which is nice if you travel.

Both come with the luxury of Wells Fargo not signing you up for dummy accounts to pad their numbers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Have you considered that you can change your discover card to have a picture of a dog wearing sunglasses? That’s gotta be worth some % cash back.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you considered that you can change your discover card to have a picture of a dog wearing sunglasses? That’s gotta be worth some % cash back.

Can it be my dog

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

disaster pastor posted:

The 2% card everyone has is the Citi Double Cash (but make sure to get direct deposits instead of statement credits).
Why is that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Say you get $20 back in cashback rewards. Apply it as a statement credit, you're spending $20. If you deposit it in your bank account, when you spend $20 with the credit card you're also getting the % cash back on that amount as well. It's not a ton, obviously, but it adds up over the years.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Double Cash is slightly weird in that you technically get 1% for spending and then 1% when you pay it off. Normally that's meaningless in the end, but if you apply your rewards as a statement credit, you don't get the second 1% for paying off whatever got erased by that credit.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Also this is really min/maxing, but the time from the purchase until payment of your monthly credit card bill is basically a zero interest loan. Better to send that bonus cash off to a savings account to accumulate a small amount of interest for you than to pay off part of the zero interest loan early.

You should of course pay off your full previous statement's balance every month to avoid high interest accumulation against you (unless possibly you're in a zero APR signup period), but there's no value in paying it off early (which is essentially what taking a statement credit is).

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
That's why I pay my statement in the final week of being due. I want my money working for me as long as possible.

Two more things to note,

Not sure if they are still around or how popular they are, but cards outside of Citi which offer "forgiveness or forgetfulness" re: making purchases operate in the same way, it's a scheme to deny your cashback that people overlook for sake of being instantly applied or convenience. I know Wells Fargo used to have one.

Citi Double Cash combined with Rewards+ turns it into 2.222%

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Why not just get the Fidelity 2% with 0 foreign transaction fee instead of dealing with that Double Cash redemption gotcha? Is there some other benefit?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Splinter posted:

Why not just get the Fidelity 2% with 0 foreign transaction fee instead of dealing with that Double Cash redemption gotcha? Is there some other benefit?
I don't actually have the Fido card, but I believe from what I've read you need to reimburse the bonus into an existing Fidelity account (which not everyone might have), and I think they also have a minimum redemption limit ($25?). In contrast my Citi Doublecash is fine sending out my $3.20 to my designated outside bank if that's all I accumulated this month.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The Fidelity 2% is nice. You can pair it with a Fidelity Cash Management account which is an excellent checking account to deposit the rewards into.
The 2% back on the Double Cash can be boosted just by having the Citi Rewards+ card and merging their Thank You Points programs. Extra 10% rewards makes it a 2.2% cashback card.
The Bank of America Travel Rewards card is a 1.5% cash back card that can be boosted up to 2.625% with BoA's Preferred Rewards program at the $100,000 tier. (An IRA with them counts, so this is more attainable then it sounds). Rewards have to be redeemed against specific travel/restaurant purchase categories which is annoying.
Alliant's Cash Back card is 2.5% cash back with some small requirements with their checking account. I like the card a lot but the physical card not having tap to pay is starting to become a problem.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
BofA's other cash and rewards cards have similar bonus structures and I know with the cash one it's just straight statement credit.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Oh thanks I forgot they had a more traditional straight cash back card, that one just loses the no foreign transaction fee but eliminates the redemption annoyance.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
FNBO has a 2% cash back card and rewards can be converted to cash and deposited in outside bank accounts.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I gave it some more thought, and I don’t mind juggling cards a bit. I pretty much never eat out though, so that devalues that category almost entirely. I spend on gas and grocery obviously, Amazon (I have a store card with them, but limit was reduced to $100 out of the blue), but most of my spending is at a few other online retailers. (Southern Hobby Distribution, etc)
What would be the best cards for me? My credit score is low 700s with Equifax/Transunion, high-600s with Experion.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

For convenience, I'd get a Citi Double Cash for 2% back on everyday stuff and a Citi Custom Cash for 5% back in either gas or supermarkets, whatever you spend more on (it's only 1% on everything else, so only use it for that one category). Combine your ThankYou Points and you'll have one pool of cash back you'd have to care about.

If your spend is high enough, an alternative would be to get the AmEx Blue Business Cash as your 2% card and then choose either the Blue Cash Preferred, which is 3% cash back on gas and 6% cash back on supermarkets but has a $95 annual fee, so you need to spend at least $60 or so a week in groceries for it to be worthwhile, or the no-annual-fee Blue Cash Everyday, which is 3% on supermarkets and some online purchases (second category there).

Note that "supermarkets" is very specific; if you buy your groceries at Target/Walmart for example, or at Costco/Sam's, you won't get the supermarket %. Note also that this is focused on cash back. If you're looking for travel rewards in the future, the Citi points would transfer over once you got an eligible card, but you can't convert AmEx cashback to Membership Rewards to my knowledge.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Valicious posted:

I gave it some more thought, and I don’t mind juggling cards a bit. I pretty much never eat out though, so that devalues that category almost entirely. I spend on gas and grocery obviously, Amazon (I have a store card with them, but limit was reduced to $100 out of the blue), but most of my spending is at a few other online retailers. (Southern Hobby Distribution, etc)
What would be the best cards for me? My credit score is low 700s with Equifax/Transunion, high-600s with Experion.

You should be able to get a 2% catch all card for everything else and at least a 5% card for either groceries or gas.

Citi Custom Cash is 5% off one category (like groceries, or gas, or restaurants, etc) and 1% everything else. $0 AF.

If you have a US Bank in your area you can also get the US Bank Cash+ which is 5% to two categories and 1% everything else. Also $0 AF.

For your generic 2% you got a lot of options. Just pick one that is $0 AF like Citi Double Cash or the WF one. Or like do the PayPal one or whatever. Maybe look up minimum redemption amounts if that would make a difference.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

You should be able to get a 2% catch all card for everything else and at least a 5% card for either groceries or gas.

Citi Custom Cash is 5% off one category (like groceries, or gas, or restaurants, etc) and 1% everything else. $0 AF.

If you have a US Bank in your area you can also get the US Bank Cash+ which is 5% to two categories and 1% everything else. Also $0 AF.

For your generic 2% you got a lot of options. Just pick one that is $0 AF like Citi Double Cash or the WF one. Or like do the PayPal one or whatever. Maybe look up minimum redemption amounts if that would make a difference.

Thanks for this! I don't suppose there's any card that would give more than 2% at Southern Hobby Distribution? (either personal or business, they sell sports cardsand CCGs and collectables to businesses)
https://www.southernhobby.com/

I spend by far the most there, sometimes 1000s/month (or if I pick the category it falls into, which might that be?)

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Valicious posted:

Thanks for this! I don't suppose there's any card that would give more than 2% at Southern Hobby Distribution? (either personal or business, they sell sports cardsand CCGs and collectables to businesses)

I spend by far the most there, sometimes 1000s/month (or if I pick the category it falls into, which might that be?)

If you know how the category codes, you might be able to find something that does 5%? Like uhhh...Citi Custom Cash I think? I haven't looked too hard into that.

Since we're in BFC, another option is to not spend thousands of dollars per month on things, something something Blue Story.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

CubicalSucrose posted:

If you know how the category codes, you might be able to find something that does 5%? Like uhhh...Citi Custom Cash I think? I haven't looked too hard into that.

Since we're in BFC, another option is to not spend thousands of dollars per month on things, something something Blue Story.

It's for my business haha. It's a sole proprietorship, and business income seen the same as personal, hence why either business or personal card is fine. Cards are called Cardboard Crack for a reason, so I get the confusion.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Valicious posted:

Alliant - 2.5% requires 1k minimum balance in an alliant checking account, 1 deposit per month

Citi double cash & citi rewards+ = 2.2%

BofA unlimited rewards preferred - requires daily balance of 20k to 1000k for increasing % increases

BofA customized cash cash rewards - lets you pick one category for 3%, online shopping is a category.

The problem is hobby stores isn't really a category and "online shopping" is also kind of an iffy category, so you might have to experiment a little.

If you're spending that much there's also the more work option of running through various business sign up bonuses. I seriously hope you are flipping these things or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The fine print on the Citi Custom Cash 5% card seems to suggest the 5% is applied to the highest category automatically, so in your case it would automatically be applied to your baseball cards. But I also just noticed it's only 5% up to $500, after which it's 1% which is boo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Valicious posted:

The Blue Cash Everyday's 3% on online purchases should apply there, but that only applies to the first $6000/year, which it looks like you'd hit very quickly. So if you go that route, use the BCE until you hit $6K and then swap to your 2% card. Same with the Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards card: you can pick "online shopping" as your 3% category but it only applies to the first $2500/quarter before reverting to 1%, and unlike the BCE it doesn't have 3% on supermarkets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The fine print on the Citi Custom Cash 5% card seems to suggest the 5% is applied to the highest category automatically, so in your case it would automatically be applied to your baseball cards. But I also just noticed it's only 5% up to $500, after which it's 1% which is boo.

It's applied to the highest eligible category, and neither online shopping nor hobby stores count. I don't think it's going to fall into a category that the Citi Custom Cash or the US Bank Cash+ will cover at 5%, unfortunately.