Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Jenifer is the only one I hadn't seen before and I thought it was just awful and gross and not in a good way.

I'm still not sure about the other matchup but I will probably go with NOES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I went with NoES and 28 Weeks. It was a fairly easy vote for me truth be told, but I get the division on NoES vs Event Horizon. That said, yall better make the right choice.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Jenifer is both gross and weird but also pedestrian. I guess this could have sort of worked if there was any indication that Jenifer was actually having some sort of extraordinary influence on men outside of having boobs, but without it its just horny old Dario asking us to come along for his weird, non-good ride. If anyone told me this was directed by Argento I’d tell them no way, but I guess he’s just been a crappy hack from decades now. Sad.

28 Weeks Later on the other hand, I’d pay good money to never see a zombie movie again. Automatic no.

Voting Jenifer.

Event Horizon is one of the few good space horror movies out there, and Nightmare on Elm Street never did anything for me to be honest.
It’s not a hard choice for me at all here. Event Horizon.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

I ended up voting for ANoES over Event Horizon just now, not because I think that it's necessarily a better film; I think that the two films are about tied as being overall better than average, but not necessarily outstanding films on their own merits. (Nightmare has great ideas brewing around in its head, but it doesn't have the budget for decent execution, and is hampered by its central performance; Horizon has better budget to attain its ideas, but they're not very well defined in places and the special effects are unfortunately pretty dated. And it has a similar weakness with some of its secondary performances.)

No, what ended up cinching it for me was checking STAC Goat's spreadsheet and seeing what we'd be leaving on the table, and Craven just has too many bangers left to play that it wouldn't feel right voting against him. (Maybe this will be the year he finally gets to play all of his good films and advance beyond the first couple of rounds? That'd be a nice change for him.) Plus, I can't in good conscience vote for the team that will be bringing in multiple Resident Evil films and the dreadful Alien vs. Predator film, even if I likely have more tolerance for something like Five Nights at Freddy's than most others. So this is more of a strategic vote than a vote based on the merits of the films in question.

Easy vote for 28 Weeks Later, though, even if that film has not aged as well as I would have imagined that it would; as I've gotten older I just have less patience for that mid-2000s brand of nihilistic rage that Hollywood was working through in the throes of Bush II's second administration.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Jenifer: 5/10
28 Week Later: 7/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street: 8/10
Event Horizon: 6/10

Easy votes for me on both match-ups. I probably would have been less favorable towards 28 Weeks Later if I had seen it in the midst of the zombie glut, but I can't imagine Jenifer would have gotten my vote in any era.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Goddammit, I forgot to vote

I was away on a work trip

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Voting is still open

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Huh? I just tried and it rejected me

Edit: I'm an idiot and I clicked last week's poll

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its one of those "when I get to it" weeks.

It goes about as poorly for Dario as it went well for Wes this week. Despite the talk about Event Horizon’s support and Elm Street maybe not living up to its legacy Nightmare still cruises to a pretty safe victory and evening Wes’s Bracketology record at 4-4 and sending him back into the second round for the third year in a row. But it drops Paul WS Andersong to 1-2 and eliminates Games Over from the tourney. Dario Argento is also going home as he can’t get the Masters of Horror win and loses his fifth straight Bracketology matchup. 28 Weeks Later gets a pretty comfortable win itself despite whatever zombie fatigue or sequel letdown may have been in play. And that means in a couple of weeks we’ll see The Rage Virus team take on Wes Craven to see who goes to the Sweet Sixteen.

If Bracketology went super mainstream and familiar last week it over compensated like hell this week with the obscure and weird. So lets check it out.

2. Ratno Timoer’s Revenge of the Ninja vs. 15. (Darth’s Team Fresh Styles) Jiri Sádek’s The Noonday Witch

Thank god Gwengoolie is here to ease me into this one a bit as you guys know how much I love them Indonesian crazy rear end action movies. On one hand its hard to say how the Revenge of the Ninja will do since its probably one of our least watched films in Bracketology history with only 81 watches logged. Then again this isn’t our first foray into the weird as gently caress Indonesia genre and its gonzo action and edgy content has generally been a hit with Bracketology fans. Still its not enough to be entertaining, you gotta beat your opponent and we head to the equally popular Bracketology subgenere of artsy Czech misery. Not quite as obscure as its opponent The Noonday Witch is still pretty rare with under 1K views on Letterboxd. So its a real crapshoot here. Two very different styles that have been generally pretty popular around here, and two films I’m guess most haven’t seen or heard of. We’ll see who comes out ahead.

Revenge of the Ninja is out there and available upon request.
The Noonday Witch is available for streaming on AMC+, Shudder, Hoopla, and DirectTV.

7. (Goat’s Bracketology Redux) Kenneth Branagh’s Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein vs. 10. (Sam’s TaBOO!) Harry Kümel’s Malpertuis

Bracketology Redux was kind of a joke that did weirdly well in last year’s tourney so I felt it only right to reload it and go for a second time. And it draws probably the most mainstream film of the week but still one that people might know more of than having actually seen it. Kenneth Brannagh’s Frankenstein adaption done in the clear wake of Francis For Coppola’s ultra gothic and stylish Dracula and even taking the author’s title gimmick. Its like a Darkverse we didn’t even realize happened. But while Branagh has certainly had his share of modern success (Did you know he’s directing a live action Gargoyles movie?) this one seems a bit forgotten to the bargain bins and disappointed fans who came via Coppola. On the flip side we have TaBOO!, one of the longest running teams in Bracketology that has bounced owners but persistently stayed alive. And even has Coppola’s film on it. But the RNG wasn’t kind enough to give us that matchup, no we’re getting a 1970s Orson Wells Belgium murder mystery that seems to render all review writers incapable of writing a coherent description. But we’re into Eurotrash now and that’s yet another subgenre Bracketology tends to dig. So will Malpertuis’ weirdness and edginess and sexiness or whatever be enough to topple Branagh’s grand if possibly boring Shakespearean adaption of a classic?

Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is available for streaming on Paramount+.
Malpertuis is out there and available upon request.

Quite a week and quite a bit of whiplash from last week I imagine. I can’t say I’m personally excited for a week of Indonesia, Czech, and Belgium but I bet most of you are. And not an American film in sight. I’m pretty sick so this whole writeup happened in kind of a fever trance so I don’t know if it makes any sense. But maybe that’s the most appropriate tone for this week’s movies? Or maybe they all make perfect sense and I’m just delirious and imagining all the crazy? At this stage I honestly have no idea.

As always the goal is to just have fun and watch what you want. We try and make sure every film is reasonably available, some are a little harder to find than others and not everyone has the right streaming services so if you need help finding any of the films ask and help might be right around the corner. It will. I have the movies. Just ask.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 29th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. I Ain't Never Seen This Before vs. 16. Team Metro Noir Horror Anime
8. Lewton Bus vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Spreadsheet
Letterboxd List

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh my god. Revenge of the Ninja. The awesome movie every kid watched in the 80s before they convinced their parents to buy them throwing stars and those claw grips for your hands to climb trees! Awesome!!!

No, not that one. The other one. There was another one?

Oh. Oh no.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Did Wes Craven get his films reset or did he really never play A Nightmare on Elm Street before in this?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

TrixRabbi posted:

Did Wes Craven get his films reset or did he really never play A Nightmare on Elm Street before in this?

The latter. He's drawn pretty badly and/or unluckily so far

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Hey, 20 votes this past week, sweet. You think posting in the general horror thread had an effect?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

TrixRabbi posted:

His whole remaining set is very, very, strong. Some clunkers but I think he is one of, if not the, favorite to win this thing

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Man Event Horizon got a bad draw then, that would have beat pretty much everything but an iconic movie, I think.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basebf555 posted:

Hey, 20 votes this past week, sweet. You think posting in the general horror thread had an effect?

Could be. Could also be how mainstream the movies were making it easier for people to vote without watching new movies. Dunno.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Philthy posted:

Man Event Horizon got a bad draw then, that would have beat pretty much everything but an iconic movie, I think.

That's Bracketology! I have a vague memory of something well-liked drawing Alien in the first round of Bracketology #1

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For every time a director draws a great iconic film there's another time where a director draws a crappy made-for-TV movie.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
If I was a beloved horror director I would just not direct any crappy made-for-TV movies. It's a foolproof plan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I for one miss the halcyon days when future legends had to make a paycheck doing the movie of the week.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Argento losing five in a row is wild. Has he just drawn a lot of later career stinkers? Saving all his good flicks for the 2025 tourney where he runs it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So it turns out I do not have a copy of Malpertuis and I can't find it streaming anywhere so I might have to call an audible. If I wasn't a loving idiot mess I would have figured this out last week and redrawn but I might have to do it now if I can't find a copy.

The Berzerker posted:

Argento losing five in a row is wild. Has he just drawn a lot of later career stinkers? Saving all his good flicks for the 2025 tourney where he runs it?

His first lost of that run was actually with Deep Red. But yeah otherwise he's just drawn four straight late career stinkers. He's actually only used Suspiria and Deep Red from his good list so he definitely has the chance for one of those runs but he also has a lot of late career crap. Its Wes Craven basically except Wes' bad films are more in his early made for tv days.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’m okay with you redrawing another film from Malpertius’ team, since you caught it the day the new contestants went up. Everybody else cool with that?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I can't find it anywhere, even in places that have everything.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Sure, why not.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darthemed posted:

I’m okay with you redrawing another film from Malpertius’ team, since you caught it the day the new contestants went up. Everybody else cool with that?

Yep

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I've tracked down a copy

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thanks to MZ we have a copy. Lifesaver. So I’d anyone needs a copy just ask. And PT helped me track down the right Revenge of the Ninja so I got that too. Thanks to both of them for bailing me out on a week I really dropped the ball.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Apparently Tubi has Revenge of the Ninja available. https://tubitv.com/movies/655950/revenge-of-the-ninja

I should have checked there first I guess.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Oh. my. God.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I don't have Tubi, could someone kind come through for me with Malpertius and Revenge of the Ninja?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Samfucius posted:

I don't have Tubi, could someone kind come through for me with Malpertius and Revenge of the Ninja?

Tubi is free.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Tubi is free.

Tubi's not even available in many countries that don't restrict internet access.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Weirdly enough, the Youtube upload of Revenge of the Ninja looks better than the Tubi copy.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

Kangra posted:

Tubi's not even available in many countries that don't restrict internet access.

Yeah, it's very American. I remember it not being available in the UK when I lived there. It isn't available here in China either, and my VPN'd wifi sets me to Singapore (where it is also not available).

Also hell yeah for the YouTube link, I didn't see it before and I'll use that.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 25, 2024

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s Saturday. Don’t forget to vote! I say that because as of last night no one had voted this week. Not judging. I’m still trying to find time to squeeze in these movies too. But there’s time. Just under 44 hours? Might be a close one this week. Right now you could decide the winners all on your own. So don’t forget to vote.

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST January 29th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
1. I Ain't Never Seen This Before vs. 16. Team Metro Noir Horror Anime
8. Lewton Bus vs. 9. Kiyoshi Kurosawa

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Philthy posted:

Oh. my. God.

I'm voting Ninja~ I have no idea what exactly happened throughout it, in large part perhaps because the 50 pixel resolution on youtube, but hell yea this rules. Sorry Noonday Witch trying to make a thoughtful meditation on something or other, I want to see more movies from a country where apparently nobody knows what a gun looks like or how it works.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I didn't get to watch any of the movies this week except revenge of the ninja so I plan to abstain

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Whoa, gotta say I’m surprised you’ve never seen the Branagh take on Frankie, MZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

I'm ready to say it, I dug Malpertuis. It's exactly the kinda movie that I should have heard of before, Orson Welles is sewing Greek gods into human flesh!

Even the weird incest poo poo makes total sense as soon as they reveal the Greek myth angle, it 100% tracks with old Zeus and the gang.