Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can never be too sure if it’s BG3 related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Eifert Posting posted:

My only real problem with act 3 is that they clearly made an effort to have the city interact with you based on your behaviors but it's nowhere near in line with the significance of what you're doing. A couple of the minor characters will live or die and the guards will get kind of passively snippy and the big robots will fall over, But it's meant to feel like a fascist reactionary state driven into an uproar over refugees and you just kind of frolic around causing poo poo and never facing any meaningful consequences.

Also the peaceful BG3 background music playing really doesn't convey the atmosphere act 3 is supposed to give off

overall Act 2 definitely had the best atmosphere, the music, art style etc clearly presents the shadowlands as something corrupted and sinister

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 19, 2024

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

I never used the druid, barely talked to him and he got kidnapped by Orin. I had no idea wtf the game was going for the moment I ran into "Halsin" in the sewers

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Halsin/Minsc both got recruited wayyyyyyyy too late for anyone to care about them

and also Halsin is the SECOND druid companion, and the other one is just way better

Jaiheria OTOH is prob my favorite companion overall, esp cuz in Act 3 she's just so relevant so almost everything you are doing in the city. Like she knows everyone and everyone knows her so you just kinda want to have her around always. Like she feels like someone who Larian actually put effort into.

Typo fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2024

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

It's impressive how much of a waste Minsc is in this game

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Eraflure posted:

It's impressive how much of a waste Minsc all bg1/2 characters are in this game

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I did not play 1 or 2, I like Jaheira but Minsc is too Invader Zim

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
minsc feels like a cameo character

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think, personally, that Act 1 was the best in terms of environments and variety, especially if you count Grymforge/Mountain Pass/Creche. Act 2 has basically one environment, and a big temple dungeon. Act 3 has City, Suburb, and Underground, and it's massive but without the Upper City to contrast with Lower and Rivington, it kinda fell flat for me. The whole time I was in act 3 I just kept thinking "wow this place is a poo poo hole, people live here?" Average life expectancy in BG must be like 30.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I like Minsc but I really would've preferred to have Sarevok instead. I know official lore hosed him up but in this game I'd rather have him show up for the Orin finale as a bonus companion: "Hey kid, I know where the Bhaalists are let's go kill them." maybe with some extra Dark Urge interactions.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Halsin sucks and it's not even about him directly, it's just that the game seems very intent in making Tav flirt with him. Even the most innocuous lines end up with him flirting. Like, even his "get to know" dialog openers tend to be phrased kinda flirty.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Typo posted:

Jaiheria OTOH is prob my favorite companion overall, esp cuz in Act 3 she's just so relevant so almost everything you are doing in the city. Like she knows everyone and everyone knows her so you just kinda want to have her around always. Like she feels like someone who Larian actually put effort into.

Jaheira is the only one of their cameo characters they really nailed, I think, and this is why - they brought her in early enough to actually have a role in things, and that role actually makes sense. Minsc I guess is a close second but he's so one note it was a lot easier to do, and if you like that note it's easy enough to get him early in A3. The less said about Viconia and Sarevok's cameos the better, I think: even leaving aside the players who tried to fix them in TOB and have to live with the fact that it didn't stick, they're barely even recognizable as themselves.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Dallan Invictus posted:

Jaheira is the only one of their cameo characters they really nailed, I think, and this is why - they brought her in early enough to actually have a role in things, and that role actually makes sense. Minsc I guess is a close second but he's so one note it was a lot easier to do, and if you like that note it's easy enough to get him early in A3. The less said about Viconia and Sarevok's cameos the better, I think: even leaving aside the players who tried to fix them in TOB and have to live with the fact that it didn't stick, they're barely even recognizable as themselves.

yeah it's like by act 3 most of your other companion's storylines are pretty much done and you just need to do the one final boss fight for them.

But with Jaheira it's almost like there's 3 acts worth of material in one for her

ZeeCee
Jan 6, 2023

Eraflure posted:

It's impressive how much of a waste Minsc is in this game

I actually think I would've preferred Minsc and Jaheira being non-playable camp NPC's that get up to their own hijinks rather than as party members, but that's a minor complaint. They come too late to have a spot in my Lazy-Kar-Shart party.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

This is a very online interpretation of it

*gestures around*

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

I'd have never guessed that's what it meant, since "ride the pine" sounds a lot like "sit on some wood" which is easily a euphemism for a right good penising.

I intended for it to work on three levels. This is the sort of quality you get from a solid 20 years of being too online.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Minsc is loving awesome and I put off as much act 3 stuff as possible as to experience it with him

Also here is how to not get the epic backbreaker cutscene :smith:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Not bringing Jaheira with you everywhere you go in act 3 is a mistake. She is the best.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Just found the area beneath her home for the first time in Act 3 myself, was pretty cool.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it the same voice actress as bg1/bg2?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jay Rust posted:

Is it the same voice actress as bg1/bg2?

No but I think she does a really good job anyway

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr. Lobe posted:

No but I think she does a really good job anyway

Seriously? I actually really believed they brought back they original voice actor, and cursory Google searches I did said the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jaheira's original voice actress doesn't have an IMDB credit in over 20 years so she's either deceased or out of the business entirely.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

exquisite tea posted:

Jaheira's original voice actress doesn't have an IMDB credit in over 20 years so she's either deceased or out of the business entirely.

Yea, soon as I typed my last reply I looked up IMDB, and can see the different BG1/2 voice actress, with no picture and no credits in the past two decades. Color me shocked at how good the new actress sounds. I'm also assuming, due to recent-ish drama, that Jim Cummings is not playing Minsc this time?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, soon as I typed my last reply I looked up IMDB, and can see the different BG1/2 voice actress, with no picture and no credits in the past two decades. Color me shocked at how good the new actress sounds. I'm also assuming, due to recent-ish drama, that Jim Cummings is not playing Minsc this time?

I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere but it's a reasonable assumption

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr. Lobe posted:

I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere but it's a reasonable assumption

Yea, more Googling tells me it's Matthew Mercer. I haven't gotten that far yet in my game to see for myself.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Matt Mercer does a very good job with Minsc. It's just a shame that he's stuck so far at the back of the game.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

Halsin sucks and it's not even about him directly, it's just that the game seems very intent in making Tav flirt with him. Even the most innocuous lines end up with him flirting. Like, even his "get to know" dialog openers tend to be phrased kinda flirty.

Probably the direct result of him being added as a companion because early access players were so thirsty for him. I haven't done a run with Minthara though to see if she's the same.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah it's not like they set out to intentionally make Halsin and Minthara weird half baked party members, making them playable at all was supposed to be a nice extra. It shows the problems of the player POV not seeing the full context of everything in the final game though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think it's fine if not all companions have an exactly equal amount of content or relatedness to the main plot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Halsin is just kinda boring to me but there are a lot of fans who like him, so his inclusion as a playable character when the alternative was just "not" harms no one IMHO.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Just discovered the Akabi jackpot process is glitched if you do it after meeting "Dribbles", you can never win even if you do the necessary steps. Kind of annoying how many glitches like this are in Act 3

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Swen Vincke continues to be impossibly based, I keep fearing he'll get milkshake ducked and it turns out he loves torturing woodland animals or something

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3s-swen-vincke-says-larians-games-wont-appear-on-a-subscription-service

quote:

“Whatever the future of games looks like, content will always be king,” Vincke began. “But it’s going to be a lot harder to get good content if subscription becomes the dominant model and a select group gets to decide what goes to market and what not. Direct from developer to players is the way.”

He continued: “Getting a board to okay a project fueled by idealism is almost impossible and idealism needs room to exist, even if it can lead to disaster. Subscription models will always end up being cost/benefit analysis exercises intended to maximize profit.”

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
That statement is going to age really well or extremely poorly

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, more Googling tells me it's Matthew Mercer. I haven't gotten that far yet in my game to see for myself.

Oh I thought you knew, i meant that it hasn't been confirmed that Jim's badness is why they didn't go with him, but it's a reasonable assumption

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Was Alfira going to be a full companion at one point, but was scrapped due to time/money constraints? Her voice actor stands out from the rest, she's really good.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

in my professional opinion, no. She looks too generic

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

unattended spaghetti posted:

For me personally, it’s a combination of a few things.

I really like the feel of Act III. I like an urban environment, since it poses lots of interesting—and as yet unexplored—kinds of encounters in the game.

But, and after a bunch of time with the game I feel like I can articulate this a little better, the way units of exploration are so hermetically sealed from one another, and yeah the actual barriers are invisible, sure, but it is this way, plus the sheer number of NPCs, locations, points of interaction, all that stuff, it makes the game feel the most artificial and most expansive all at once.

These are small complaints. Eventually I’m gonna stumble into something insane and not care again, but at this exact moment, instead of feeling joyfully overwhelmed at all the possibilities, I’m feeling joylessly overwhelmed at each isolated encounter.

When I first went to Act 3 and finally got the Lower City, I spent a bunch of time just flying and jumping between roofs. It makes you feel like Batman.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I never see this gear mentioned and it's really easy to miss, but there's a certain "trial" where the enemies disappear after you beat the boss and there's a mini-boss type character named Strangler Luke or something like that. Make sure you kill him because he drops Bonespike Gloves, which cause your attacks to ignore resistance to slashing/piercing/bludgeoning. Given how many enemies that are actually a threat have that, it's an absolutely massive boost. I missed it on my first playthrough, but now if I've got a character that does mainly physical damage, I'm going to be using those every time unless it's a build that absolutely needs another set of gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

See as I was playing I was like this makes sense. They fell back into their old patterns after the original pc died and ran back to their gods. Jaehira even calls them out on it