Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Nighthand posted:

Same, except seemingly random enemies.

Oh a bee, I've killed half a dozen of those this run, I'll just oh nevermind you get to dodge everything I do until I'm dead.

Ran into a rogue after killing a dozen and this one got like 4x the number of attacks and I barely won.

Hit some unknown, press a button once, am greeted with a solid five seconds of effects going off on me that I only survive because the button I pressed was parry, but fail to land a bit and die to the same infinite cascade of effects every round.

I didn't play much BB1, but drat this poo poo is incomprehensible and I have no idea what's important to pay attention to in fights. Somehow still fun enough to keep going back to try, though.

I don't know what happened but I just had a build with a damage reflect skill, an evasion skill with a rune that made it proc when i reflected damage, an equipment with counter on it, and ?????

No idea what interaction caused it but I hit my buff and then sat there watching for several seconds as, apparently, i evaded and counterattacked my own buff, evaded my own self-counters and countered them, and just this cloud of COUNTER EVADE COUNTER EVADE sprung up over my character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AlexDeGruven posted:

lol, I'm only in the 700s

I'm stalling for 3000 for when I have time to capitalize on the hour bonus you get

I have a problem

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Nighthand posted:

I don't know what happened but I just had a build with a damage reflect skill, an evasion skill with a rune that made it proc when i reflected damage, an equipment with counter on it, and ?????

No idea what interaction caused it but I hit my buff and then sat there watching for several seconds as, apparently, i evaded and counterattacked my own buff, evaded my own self-counters and countered them, and just this cloud of COUNTER EVADE COUNTER EVADE sprung up over my character.

I somehow summoned a giant toad for the enemy and had to kill it before I could kill the enemy.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

explosivo posted:

Came here to post this. :woop:

As good as ever. So far much less translation weirdness than the last one

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Okay you goons got me to install Royal Match. I looked up the games by the same dev and see Royal Kingdom as well. I'm assuming going by the downloads it's newer. Is it better though?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You mean to tell me Royal Match is actually exactly what they show in their ads?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Crazy, right?

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Y'all got me and my partner to install Royal Match too. No ads is huge

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
...that game I keep seeing advertised with a king about to get boiled alive or drown in a sewer or something? That game is good?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Buriedbornes2 is so good. The only problem I have with it is how strong enemy's petrify is. Can be run ending within just a couple bad turns, but I found keeping a summon with a stable (not affected by stuns) rune on it helps a ton. Best combos I've found so far are elf executioner and ghost necromancer.

Elf executioner can clear multiple HP stacks in one turn, ghost necromancer can give you full control of the last enemy you killed.

Push El Burrito posted:

I somehow summoned a giant toad for the enemy and had to kill it before I could kill the enemy.

The enemy probably did that themselves. When the enemy has full bravery (the blue flames under their name) they use burst mode too. Ninjitsu's burst summons a giant frog, it's great.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

New Leaf posted:

...that game I keep seeing advertised with a king about to get boiled alive or drown in a sewer or something? That game is good?

It's not bad. Basic matching like Candy crush, etc. But no ads and doesn't continually hound you for IAPs.

You don't even need to do the kingdom building to progress.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

New Leaf posted:

The funniest part is that they totally hamfisted these into the game as a bonus every 50 levels or so just so they can say they did.

And what's wild is that they're pretty fun. Unfortunately the rewards suck though so if you're doing a race event it's often better to just skip them.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Goddamn goons.. making me play stupid match 3 games..

The little tippy-tap vibrations when you get a lot of matches is really fun.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Is there a goon team for this?

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
God I feel like im doing ok in buried bones 2 and then I fight some enemy who obliterates me completely.
gently caress its fun though. Only managed to complete the highway and spire so far , cant wait to unlock more classes and combinations.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

New Leaf posted:

Goddamn goons.. making me play stupid match 3 games..

The little tippy-tap vibrations when you get a lot of matches is really fun.

Same, downloading now

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

New Leaf posted:

You know what bullshit ad game that I kind of really want to play?

That 3D auto runner where you end up multiplying or dividing your strength by whatever gate you passed by. "Oh, is it better to be +100, or x5? :thunk:". There's one now with a gun, like Contra, and you're doing the same thing, but it's changing your firepower.

Do these games exist outside of these animations?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
God, I'm so bad at match 3 games :(

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

The King and the butler are definitely a gay couple, right? There's no Queen, no children, the butler gives you little presents.. They're totally loving.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know what bullshit ad game that I kind of really want to play?

That 3D auto runner where you end up multiplying or dividing your strength by whatever gate you passed by. "Oh, is it better to be +100, or x5? :thunk:". There's one now with a gun, like Contra, and you're doing the same thing, but it's changing your firepower.

Do these games exist outside of these animations?

Someone made a game on steam that's all those games basically. It's got some hosed up name, I'm on my phone rn but can look later for you.

e: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2348100/YEAH_YOU_WANT_THOSE_GAMES_RIGHT_SO_HERE_YOU_GO_NOW_LETS_SEE_YOU_CLEAR_THEM/

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you guys are trying to match things...Flipon (Tetris Attack / Puzzle League clone-ish)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Splinter posted:

If you guys are trying to match things...Flipon (Tetris Attack / Puzzle League clone-ish)

why do these Walmart Great Value Brand Puyos have thousand-yard stares

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

VelociBacon posted:

Someone made a game on steam that's all those games basically. It's got some hosed up name, I'm on my phone rn but can look later for you.

e: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2348100/YEAH_YOU_WANT_THOSE_GAMES_RIGHT_SO_HERE_YOU_GO_NOW_LETS_SEE_YOU_CLEAR_THEM/

Oh my good god, yes please. I think I'm going to get this for my kids. Well me too, but also them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh my good god, yes please. I think I'm going to get this for my kids. Well me too, but also them.

It's on the switch too and is a real fun time. Some of the puzzles get genuinely rough since they're timed and you get three stars for going speedy

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Can we get a syndicate going for buriedbornes?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can someone explain what BuriedBones is? There seems to be a lot of hype for it but when I played it the game seemed to just be a pretty low budget room-by-room roguelike with an unusually detailed skill tree. What's the catch that makes it so interesting?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can someone explain what BuriedBones is? There seems to be a lot of hype for it but when I played it the game seemed to just be a pretty low budget room-by-room roguelike with an unusually detailed skill tree. What's the catch that makes it so interesting?

I'm having trouble getting into it. Feels Path of Exile level complicated but without PoE's solid ARPG foundation. The UI sucks, putting it gently. Nothing behaves like I'd expect halfway competent UI design to in a game. This looks like something where if I watched a few hours of videos on how to play and sunk more hours into playing, I'd enjoy it. But people who have the right brain chemistry to enjoy this UI nightmare complain it's too easy right until they get to a massive difficulty spike that kills them, so I don't think it's worth the time investment.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
For me, it's the combination of being intriguingly obtuse while having relatively simple moment-to-moment gameplay. It's as if a dungeon crawler and dark souls had a slightly brain-damaged baby.

Plus the art is nice and there's no gatcha

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I haven't played Buriedbornes 2 yet but I got sucked into the first one for quite some time. It's some combination of the gameplay itself being fairly simple, but the strategy of building your character and traversing the dungeon being really quite deep. There are also just an absolute ton of classes that all function wildly differently, and the game isn't afraid to get really weird with what classes can do. And there's a ton of stuff you can do to customize a class before you even start a run, so you can get extremely deep in the weeds with character customization.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Arzaac posted:

I haven't played Buriedbornes 2 yet but I got sucked into the first one for quite some time. It's some combination of the gameplay itself being fairly simple, but the strategy of building your character and traversing the dungeon being really quite deep. There are also just an absolute ton of classes that all function wildly differently, and the game isn't afraid to get really weird with what classes can do. And there's a ton of stuff you can do to customize a class before you even start a run, so you can get extremely deep in the weeds with character customization.

That's about the gist of it for me, yeah. The difficulty spikes are somewhat mitigated by the new hp stock system, but they're still definitely there. I feel like they're intrinsic to a lot of roguelikes though--you kill swathes of enemies until you meet one that counters your build or has an unusually deadly combination of modifiers, and then you have to adapt or have a plan B. The comparison to Path of Exile is pretty spot on.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Nussy games exist on their own peculiar wavelength, that is irresistible to some and inaudible to many others.

municipal shrimp posted:

Can we get a syndicate going for buriedbornes?

I'm working on it, unless someone beats me there. I'm up to Pandemonium but getting rolled on the way to the boss.

delfin fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 19, 2024

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I've just tried buriedbornes for the first time. My fighter guy was one shotting dudes, then I fought a guy who wouldn't die, then he did die. Then I fought a minotaur, died a bunch but didn't die? Then I killed the minotaur. Then I had to butcher a body, of which I can have 3. Now some weird guy is giggling at me.

I'm more confused than when I started.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'm loving the extra ability to know what the gently caress is going in in Buriedbornes 2 without having to consult a wiki, and still enjoying the fact that sometimes a battle starts and immediately my character goes loving berserk and the game alternates turns as fast as possible

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Early access for pvz3 is open, it doesn't seem to be too stuffed with micro transactions so far but it is EA

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

fluppet posted:

Early access for pvz3 is open, it doesn't seem to be too stuffed with micro transactions so far but it is EA

Seems that it isn't available in the US yet

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I have fallen into the pit of buriedborn 2. As far as I can tell, there are really only two ways to play the game.

Number 1) elf executioner. Give yourself acrobatics and as many knife throws/ backstabs as possible and aim for preemptive stick, evasion, critical hit chance, and final strike. The idea is that you use high critical ability that can strike multiple times and preemptive strike. The final strike removes an hp stack, and the executioner ability doubles it. If the battle actually starts, then you acrobatics for 50% evade.

Number 2) abuse the rune that active your skills. For example, I did a ghost/paladin run where if anything hit me, I would trigger all my abilities for 1 use and 1 cooldown. I just spammed click the free ability paladin starts with that gives 95% physical resistance and the ghost passive makes that also give 95% magic resistance. Void damage was still a problem, so that was a focus on equipment.

Edit: Here are the high scores of a limited time dungeon yesterday to prove a point

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 20, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

death cob for cutie posted:

I'm loving the extra ability to know what the gently caress is going in in Buriedbornes 2 without having to consult a wiki, and still enjoying the fact that sometimes a battle starts and immediately my character goes loving berserk and the game alternates turns as fast as possible

Many skills have the ability to do a preemptive strike. If it can, it will say "preemptive" just below the cost and total amount of skill.

If you summon anything, it is uncontrollable unless you have a specific trait active.

Some enemies can confuse you, which makes you uncontrollable. Also, many skills grant insanity status, which is a % chance to just use a random skill.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm playing Summum Aeterna. It's basically a jankier Astral Ascent with less options but easier to break. The metaprogression has a higher ceiling than other roguelites, meaning you can eventually brute force everything.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

fluppet posted:

It's incredibly Garden/Homescapes. Get a star taco ticket to progress the story, progressing enough story gives 30mins of unlimited hearts brains, keep winning levels to keep your winning streak I cant even remember peashooter giving you free one mission boons.

How bad this is I'm not sure yet, but the gibbldegook speak of Dave is wearing thin faster than it did in my youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Finally, reached the Ancient King in BB2. Dropping him was a lot easier than many of his minions.

Syndicate created as GoonCamp.