Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

JethroMcB posted:

It was almost certainly an experiment in "Can we do Airport as a weekly series...and mostly about what's happening on the ground, to save money?" My guess would be that, as a non-cop, non-hospital procedural, it just didn't catch with viewers in the 6 episodes it was allotted as a wheel series - and it definitely didn't help that it was up against Hawaii Five-0 on Wednesday nights.

You're probably right but the timing is interesting. San Francisco International Airport came out four months after the Airport movie. Audiences probably saw it as a knock off but four moths is probably not long enough to see what a big hit Airport is and rush a pilot through production. San Fran was probably inspired by the same novel and in production at the same time as the Airport movie. The producers of San Fran correctly recognized that the hit novel Airport would translate to the screen but the release date might have been as important as their choice of television over film. If it premiers six months earlier it doesn't look as much like a knock off. But if it's shown a few years later then the genre has been established and audiences are more receptive while waiting for the next big air disaster movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Presumably, audiences are fine with terrible poo poo going on near police, firefighters, detectives, hospitals, and lawyers because generally if something goes bad, one of those five turn up on the scene. They do not, however, want a weekly reminder that if something bad happens at an airport, lots of innocent people die! So do you eliminate most of the more exciting stories and limit yourself to hippies fighting over diet gum? Or keep reminding people about how your next flight could get hijacked by terrorists?

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
That brings me to my other theory. The air disaster genre is mostly forgotten and San Fran no longer exists outside of the MST3K episode because the airlines (or the FAA :tinfoil:) used shell companies to purchase the rights and keep them from being shown.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Now, Little Joe and I will try to rope the plane...

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The show comes off as a dumping ground for the exact same stock plots every other show used, just...in an airport. At that point you might as well just watch those other shows.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is the extorted pilot like, done as a professional after this

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

That nosewheel feels mushy.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

John Murdoch posted:

The show comes off as a dumping ground for the exact same stock plots every other show used, just...in an airport. At that point you might as well just watch those other shows.

Uh, after you get home from watching this fine film at the theater, that is! :sweatdrop:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Reminder that in the early 2000s there was another short-lived TV series about a California airport:

https://www.themoviedb.org/tv/4168-lax

Starring Heather Locklear, no less!

My own personal headcanon likes to think the creators of this show were aware/fans of the original San Francisco International.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

The Twinkie Czar posted:

That brings me to my other theory. The air disaster genre is mostly forgotten and San Fran no longer exists outside of the MST3K episode because the airlines (or the FAA :tinfoil:) used shell companies to purchase the rights and keep them from being shown.

It is wild how there was a whole bunch of plane hijackings and none of them have been adapted into a film. There are a couple of gags about it in Airplane! but that’s about it.

Maybe it’s that filming in a plane is a huge pain in the hinder and that’s why they don’t do it.

My airport. My way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Commercial aviation never recovered from Snakes on a Plane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But when does the whrewhulf lady get turned into a wahrewoluf

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

zoux posted:

But when does the whrewhulf lady get turned into a wahrewoluf

At the end of the movie, after her ESL lesson

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Did he bite her or does wharwilf jizz make you one too

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No it turns you into a jellicle cat

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Jet Jaguar posted:

It is wild how there was a whole bunch of plane hijackings and none of them have been adapted into a film. There are a couple of gags about it in Airplane! but that’s about it.

Maybe it’s that filming in a plane is a huge pain in the hinder and that’s why they don’t do it.

My airport. My way.

Chuck Norris classic The Delta Force is loosely based on the hijacking of TWA Flight 847 mixed with Operation Entebbe.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

zoux posted:

So is the extorted pilot like, done as a professional after this

That's an interesting question. He did not actually do anything wrong and handled the situation about as well as he could have at the time. In that era, pilots were advised cooperate with hijackers and this was a known procedure. The pilot is would have been informed that this is how to react because he may not have the ability to communicate with the authorities.

I don't know if 3100 was in place at the time and it was a few years before 7500 became the hijacking code. That's pretty much the only option he'd have had,combined with ATC being sharp enough to notice he's telling them he's being hijacked and not ask if he accidentally set his transponder to signal that.

I'd think he would follow the standard procedure to cooperate with the hijackers until the passengers in his care are out of danger, then alert the authorities at the first opportunity to do so. He'd likely take some time off afterwards but probably keep flying. He did the best he could in the situation and succeeded in his primary concern of safe guarding his passengers and the public.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well he was a bit curt with his chief mechanic :colbert:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zoux posted:

Well he was a bit curt with his chief mechanic :colbert:

The nose wheel was mushy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jet Jaguar posted:

It is wild how there was a whole bunch of plane hijackings and none of them have been adapted into a film.

Uh, what about DB Cooper vs. Bigfoot? :colbert:

Okay, sorry, what about the 30 seconds of DB Cooper vs. Bigfoot that awkwardly portrays Cooper's stuff before cutting back to shirtless boys?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Rifftrax's Twitch channel just started Fun in Balloon Land.

I've never seen the whole thing before, I fear for my sanity.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rifftrax's Twitch channel just started Fun in Balloon Land.

I've never seen the whole thing before, I fear for my sanity.

Oh are you in for a ride! Wave to Sonny! Yay, yay!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jet Jaguar posted:

Oh are you in for a ride! Wave to Sonny! Yay, yay!!

One of the eeriest moments of my life was watching the Fun in Balloonland Trailer, deciding to watch the Rifftrax channel, and it was not only playing, but was RIGHT AT the exact same moment. :tinfoil:.

Like frame-perfect.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Hey if you get near a song, play it!

Enough! What is this Flight of the bumblehead?

Now the kid grandstands at every opportunity.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the part where they imitate the aggressive solo right before the smooth jazz solo makes me laugh every time

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Sourdough Sam posted:

Hey if you get near a song, play it!

Enough! What is this Flight of the bumblehead?

Now the kid grandstands at every opportunity.

But in real life, Johnny is third chair in the kindergarten band!

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Empty Sandwich posted:

the part where they imitate the aggressive solo right before the smooth jazz solo makes me laugh every time

Same.
I recently learned something crazy about the cast of Mr. B Natural. Buzz and his parents were a real life family and the father had a long career. In the same year that episode 319 premiered, Les Podewell appeared in Groundhog Day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I haven't dug into it, but I'm 99 9% sure that the actor who plays Kay in the The Mads riff of "more dates for Kay" is the same Kay in the short "what to do on a date". This makes me think there must be a lot of overlap in the talent pool for all those 50s-60s "how to be a functional human being" shorts.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Uncle Wemus posted:

Did he bite her or does wharwilf jizz make you one too

going by the rules established by "It Lives By Night" it's the latter

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

I haven't dug into it, but I'm 99 9% sure that the actor who plays Kay in the The Mads riff of "more dates for Kay" is the same Kay in the short "what to do on a date". This makes me think there must be a lot of overlap in the talent pool for all those 50s-60s "how to be a functional human being" shorts.

Kay, Kay, Kay! What about my needs?! :mad:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Pretty sure the various production companies like Centron or Coronet had their own stables of actors, yeah. Though I guess more to the point I'm also pretty sure a lot of the shorts in that vein were part of a series or collection sold to schools. Josh Way has riffed a bunch more and sure enough you end up seeing the same kids over and over.

Something something Coronet cinematic universe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Kay, Kay, Kay! What about my needs?! :mad:

With each dial he comes closer and closer to the most humiliating moment of his life.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
YOU LOOKED IN MY BOOK, DIDN'T YOU?! :argh:

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

I had forgotten the pod people host segments in The Giant Spider Invasion. Such quality.

Medium-rare chicken wings with sun-brewed mayonnaise!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Boy this is fun what with the used lamps and the festoonery.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
The sensuous pagan ritual begins...

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What was the Joel era movie that has the final sketch where crow and servo are frantically showering because the movie was so gross

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Uncle Wemus posted:

What was the Joel era movie that has the final sketch where crow and servo are frantically showering because the movie was so gross
Eegah!

...oh god.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sash! posted:

That's an interesting question. He did not actually do anything wrong and handled the situation about as well as he could have at the time. In that era, pilots were advised cooperate with hijackers and this was a known procedure. The pilot is would have been informed that this is how to react because he may not have the ability to communicate with the authorities.

I don't know if 3100 was in place at the time and it was a few years before 7500 became the hijacking code. That's pretty much the only option he'd have had,combined with ATC being sharp enough to notice he's telling them he's being hijacked and not ask if he accidentally set his transponder to signal that.

I'd think he would follow the standard procedure to cooperate with the hijackers until the passengers in his care are out of danger, then alert the authorities at the first opportunity to do so. He'd likely take some time off afterwards but probably keep flying. He did the best he could in the situation and succeeded in his primary concern of safe guarding his passengers and the public.

There's a scene missing from the MST3K cut where he tells the tower he's been hijacked and they're holding his wife hostage because it's the first time the hijackers are out of communication with him (because he's in the cockpit and they're seated in the passenger section). It happens right after Davey the Flying Boy takes off, which shuts down the whole airport. That's why Clu and his deputy know exactly how to board the plane and catch them.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hogama posted:

Eegah!

...oh god.

"You better do what he wants, Roxy!"

Ugh.