Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You’re breaking all of the rules!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Or just get one (or more) of each?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That way lies madness

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Having four basses feels excessive to me but I have two bands that are very different and require different tunings so having two backup basses is not a terrible idea, esp. given my satanic nature (read: left handedness)

not that I have taken two basses to any shows in the past 2 years, but unlike guitarists we dont break strings on the reg :v: worst thats happened in many years of gigging is my strap lock failing in the last half of the last song of a show, so I took a knee to finish.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

These three have me pretty darn set

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I tried two Thomann models to get into bass, their regular JB and a 5-string PJ.

I was happy with them but ended up selling them on.

Now I have a Squier CV Jaguar PJ and a Squier Bass VI, which cover pretty much anything I'll ever want to do.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
In addition to the P Bass and the squier VI. I also have a Kala UBass with flatwound strings and that thing rips.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

eh just had pj bass, which is the one I traded for the p bass. Worst of both worlds in imo. Too many electronics (mine was the Siri P7), too noisy, too unweildy for any regular use.

e2:

Armacham posted:

In addition to the P Bass and the squier VI. I also have a Kala UBass with flatwound strings and that thing rips.

what are you doing to me I just got a new bass.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Shageletic posted:

eh just had pj bass, which is the one I traded for the p bass. Worst of both worlds in imo. Too many electronics (mine was the Siri P7), too noisy, too unweildy for any regular use.

e2:

what are you doing to me I just got a new bass.

Boomer says to join us

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Holy poo poo I just realized I have 8 basses but none are P basses

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Rectal Placenta posted:

mods!?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

What in the world

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Armacham posted:

Boomer says to join us

lol you black devil

I think i'm good with basses, but I've been thinking about finally getting a chorus pedal since I'm playing alot of post-punk/post rock currently. Saw this bad boy listed for way cheaper than it usually is, and I'm wondering what the scam is for (tech 21 bass chorus pedals usually run a hundred bucks more): https://reverb.com/p/tech-21-boost-...vD_BwE&rating=1

Hoping I can make space for it on my pedal board through geometry and black magic. Also gonna see if Sam Ash does cash trade ins for pedals, cuz I got too many others I never use.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

They are fun though, try one if you ever get the chance, especially through an amp.

I've never tried that chorus and it looks like it has a lot of good options built in. Looks like the seller has good feedback so it may be worth the dice roll. I've had reverb help get me refunds on stuff before.

I also like the EHX Bass Clone for a more lush chorus, as well as the Boss CE-5 for more subtle, from personal experience. If you can find an analog CE-5 (older than 2001) those can do both pretty well. I actually haven't tried the Boss specific bass chorus, though.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 17, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cool thx for the info!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Does anyone else use a Tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass?

I have both the single-button and the deluxe edition, but they both seem to have an issue where if I run my fuzz pedals into the VT bass, (as you should, since its a preamp) then it ends up defeating most of the fuzz effect and just sounding super muddy.

is this a problem with other preamp pedals?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Laserface posted:

Does anyone else use a Tech 21 Sansamp VT Bass?

I have both the single-button and the deluxe edition, but they both seem to have an issue where if I run my fuzz pedals into the VT bass, (as you should, since its a preamp) then it ends up defeating most of the fuzz effect and just sounding super muddy.

is this a problem with other preamp pedals?

What happens when you turn down the level/volume control on your fuzzes?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What happens when you turn down the level/volume control on your fuzzes?

Mess with your volume knob on your bass too.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Checking out all these videos from a channel called "oneminutebass" but the bass is just regular sized! :wtc:

Armacham posted:

Boomer says to join us

That's better.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

It's really great to have on the couch in the living room, especially with a toddler.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It seems it was sort of cancelling itself out. I turned the volume down a bit on the fuzz and it works a bit better.

I might try the deluxes effect loop as well to see if that helps more.

It's annoying, in my brain I want to shape my tone with the vt bass and then fuzz that up on its way to the amp but then everything just squeals and screams.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I do preamp then fuzz then EQ and it works great. Just EQ out the frequencies you don't like before sending to the amp.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Sockington posted:

These three have me pretty darn set

Another maple neck enjoyer :hfive:

Rectal Placenta posted:

This is illegal

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

Incorrect. Buy 8 P or PJs to correct.

Technically I have only 1 pure P a MIJ Fender (the Cardinal is more of a humbucker and the SB-2 uses the J as atone control) and several PJs. I am probably going to get another PJ and another P because I can't help myself and I want a Spector and a Sire P for no good reason at all.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bass thoughts for today: I spent more on a compressor than I did on my bass because I know where real toan comes from and also I’m just starting and don’t have my bass legs yet so I need something to smooth things out. Although, I’ll probably just become dependent on compression oh well.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Tone comes from your hands, which is why you should compress your hands for the best tone

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

A thin plectrum can act as a compressor as the force at which it releases depends more on the flex of the plastic than how hard you hit the string, compared to a solid thick plectrum at least.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A compressor helps even out inconsistent playing. Your hands do 70% of the work, your bass does 20%, your amp/effects do the last bit.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It makes playing the Seinfeld theme more fun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Which is a thing I do. A lot.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
My first bass was a J, and I guess I never left the J gang? I at least added a parallel/series switch. The list:

J Bass
Fretless Jaco-ish J Bass
Lakland 5 string J
Ibanez SR 6 string
Warwick 6 string fretless
Cort fretless
Crappy Ibanez 5 string acoustic (sitting on the couch bass)
Bass VI, which honestly is just a very baritone guitar to me

So upon further review I need a P bass AND a stingray now :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've never had more than 2 basses and one of them has always been my Fender Jazz

Jazz + Fretless Jazz

Jazz + Conklin 7 string

Jazz + Jazz (it was free lol)

Jazz + Fretless 5 Gary Willis

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Rectal Placenta posted:

My first bass was a J, and I guess I never left the J gang? I at least added a parallel/series switch. The list:

J Bass
Fretless Jaco-ish J Bass
Lakland 5 string J
Ibanez SR 6 string
Warwick 6 string fretless
Cort fretless
Crappy Ibanez 5 string acoustic (sitting on the couch bass)
Bass VI, which honestly is just a very baritone guitar to me

So upon further review I need a P bass AND a stingray now :(
I only have a P and a stingray, want to hang out? :) Also, my Squier P is doing basically everything I want from a bass, and I'm thinking about dropping the Stingray. I thought I'd be jazz for life, but I guess things change.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Man I'm in the dust too, all 4 of my basses are jazz basses.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bought some of that air conditioner weather seal foam that fits perfectly next to a bridge. Gonna play some Kaye and Jamerson all weekend.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Bought some of that air conditioner weather seal foam that fits perfectly next to a bridge. Gonna play some Kaye and Jamerson all weekend.

You missed an opportunity to spend $50 on a nordymute, my friend.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Googles… :stare: wtf

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Reminds me I need to get some foam from the hardware store

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I have these 4, they sound p good at what they are for. Personally I think these are enough for me, 4 is the right number.

EBMM '16 Stingray
SBMM Ray35 HH
MIM '14 Jazz
MIM '03 PJ Special (factory jazz neck)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m a novice, but here’s my lineup all the same:

Sterling StingRay 4
Squier Classic Vibe Jazz

A P and a J was my goal but couldn’t find any P’s for a decent price, so I got the Sterling instead. I might need to reassess.