Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

As much as I love Darktide and play it way too much, I am really looking forward to a Vermintide 3 or even Vermintide 2 remastered with the updated engine as some various polish. I hope we get it sometime sooner than 5 years from now.

I dont think I can go back, I've tried a few times and I just prefer the pace and extra mechanics of darktide too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm assuming a Vermintide 3 would have some of those extra mechanics or their own versions of it. But even without, I think Vermintide 2 has enough charm that I could go back to a "remastered." I'm sure it's just a matter of time. It just makes me sad to think it could be half a decade.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I dont think I can go back, I've tried a few times and I just prefer the pace and extra mechanics of darktide too much.

Its extremely slow and deliberate, it does feel properly medieval in comparison lol. The first thing that impressed me about DT when i got it like a month ago is how theyre both clearly the same lineage, skills crossover but theyre still quite differentiated. VT does have a better presentation, just everything is easier to make out. CW stomping is seemingly irreplaceable vs fail crushers.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I still like VT with its heavier focus on melee for most careers. They are both great games

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay I re-specced my Zealot and the holy icon ability to stagger enemies is really good. I just stacked wounds, toughness and damage reduction and I'm very tanky.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

DT doesn't have Stormvermin marching and singing a marching chant making it the inferior product to VT.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

DT doesn't have Stormvermin marching and singing a marching chant making it the inferior product to VT.

flies flies flies flies flies flies flies flies

Always makes me laugh

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ChaseSP posted:

This is sort of a joke but honestly the rats are like VT's sixth character, they're just great. Ogryn are funny and some of the lines in this game slap but there's just not as much humor or character in DT as there is in VT and it's the setting not the writers that sort of make it that way. The Scabs will never be as funny as the Skaven, it's just the nature of the game, but I do miss it.

DT is a better game with tighter systems and just better minute-to-minute play, but VT has a better world, better characters, and better quest objectives. If they can get DT to that level in a couple of years - and to be fair VT2 is a mature game, a sequel to another game, so it's only fair to give DT a similar amount of time - it'd be perfect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Scabs and Dregs are an improvement on the Rotbloods at least.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mendrian posted:

This is sort of a joke but honestly the rats are like VT's sixth character, they're just great. Ogryn are funny and some of the lines in this game slap but there's just not as much humor or character in DT as there is in VT and it's the setting not the writers that sort of make it that way. The Scabs will never be as funny as the Skaven, it's just the nature of the game, but I do miss it.

DT is a better game with tighter systems and just better minute-to-minute play, but VT has a better world, better characters, and better quest objectives. If they can get DT to that level in a couple of years - and to be fair VT2 is a mature game, a sequel to another game, so it's only fair to give DT a similar amount of time - it'd be perfect.

The launch missions from darktide were just functionally basic, but they started getting more experimental in the updates and the Carnival maps mix objectives and events in interesting ways that I think is great, I'd say for quest design they're already getting there.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its insane to me that skaven arent in 40k

theyd fit in perfectly, no idea what GW is thinking

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

imagine the kind of spaceships skaven would make

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Skitter-tarii

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
Orks are funny, could we fight Orks? Maybe it'd have to be hordes of gretchin with Boyz as specials and elites. I feel like your average Ork could just dogwalk these penal legion scrapings.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I want to play as the Orks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
We still don't have a Greentide game. Monkey's paw curls and it's an Age of Sigmar game fighting "Orruks" rather than the fun Orks.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Reiley posted:

I want to be a Tau Fire Warrior, a Warp Spider, and a Necron all of whom can be on the same team.

The major problem with 40k worldbuilding is I can't have an outlandish D&D-style motley of a party.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I want to be a Tau Fire Warrior, a Warp Spider, and a Necron all of whom can be on the same team.

The major problem with 40k worldbuilding is I can't have an outlandish D&D-style motley of a party.

You absolutely can but it'd probably involve a rogue trader or some edge case heretic planet, not inquisition grunts raiding a hive city

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

I still like VT with its heavier focus on melee for most careers. They are both great games

One thing I feel like VT nails is wading through enemies. Staggering hordes to make my way up to a CW as unchained so I can overhead bonk them to death with a mace is unparalleled. DT feels like your jack the ripper slicing and dicing rather than dealing with the weight of hordes.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
VT definitely feels better memory wise in terms of peak moments. DT is less memorable but better baseline. Now remembering a Cata CW Unchained run where I realized I had stacked so many cooldown skills that, with a jade censer, I could just purposely overheat and blow up over and over and over lol. Solved the end of that run no problem, no blocking needed. G*ddamn they need to add a CW equivalent to DT.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DarkDobe posted:

You absolutely can but it'd probably involve a rogue trader or some edge case heretic planet, not inquisition grunts raiding a hive city

Inquisitors canonically have xeno mercenaries all the time.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its insane to me that skaven arent in 40k

theyd fit in perfectly, no idea what GW is thinking

40k has one faction which has a ton of parallels to the skaven

It's the Imperium

Their main strategy is to overwhelm through sheer numbers; their effectiveness is massively undercut by treason and mismanagement; they're ruled by a council of twelve; they're fanatically loyal to a not-quite-chaos god; the list goes on

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
turns out...what u see as the tragedy of human fascism...is merely the true form of skaven comedy...makes u think...

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In theory lorewise there's nothing stopping those 3 from working together on an individual basis given hosed up enough circumstances. Tau and Eldar are both pragmatic enough, Eldar have been known to (begrudgingly) work with the Imperium if need be, and Necron have canonically fought with Space marines against 'nids before.

Homeless Friend posted:

One thing I feel like VT nails is wading through enemies. Staggering hordes to make my way up to a CW as unchained so I can overhead bonk them to death with a mace is unparalleled. DT feels like your jack the ripper slicing and dicing rather than dealing with the weight of hordes.

I don't know if its accurate but it feels like a lot more of my downs/deaths in V2 are just from attrition from trash or eating one wrong overhead, or getting surrounded by trash and just dying to the tide whereas in DT most of the showstoppers are directly because of specials (in particular, trappers/flamers/doggos causing a snowball).

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's not the end of the world or anything but the number of veterans who go into Enhanced Blitz Maelstroms without improved ammo kits is kind of surprising.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Fishstick posted:

In theory lorewise there's nothing stopping those 3 from working together on an individual basis given hosed up enough circumstances. Tau and Eldar are both pragmatic enough, Eldar have been known to (begrudgingly) work with the Imperium if need be, and Necron have canonically fought with Space marines against 'nids before.

Seeing people post about how you definitely couldn't have different factions and stuff team up, while the novels and lore have tonnes of examples of just about every factions having to work together somehow (except tyranids and daemons), is very gunny and also frustrating

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
They'd either need to come up with a new intro or skip the intros completely for any Xenos characters tho, since I don't think they'd be rotting in prison. With how amazing this game's shooting is, you have no idea how much I want to play with the Eldar's arsenal, hell I'd even take (ugh) Tau, see if they can make up for that old Firewarrior game. Though given that they never added any completely new characters to the VT games, I wouldn't be surprised if what we have is what we get.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Not to mention, the Inquisition employees xeno all the time and even give free reign to sanctioned xeno from time to time.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Especially when you consider fatshark already did this. In VT the team are comprised of 5 people who would never, ever all work together. Under normal circumstances.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's not the end of the world or anything but the number of veterans who go into Enhanced Blitz Maelstroms without improved ammo kits is kind of surprising.

Broke out my Psyker for the first time since the holidays and cannot back this up enough. I don’t use ammo but two plasma vets almost coming to blows over ammo and I asked if either one took that. Their answer was it is a trash choice. Yes this was malice. I’d also forgotten how people just refuse to melee. One fellow Psyker kept going down and I had to share the ancient wisdom of “stick next to an Ogryn.” He acted like I was a genius before wandering off to die again. Damnation did not have this problem.

Reiley posted:

Green iz best!

I still have a fondness for VT. I put that on a dapper gent named Kruber and his fondness for large feathered hats. Seriously DT needs more ridiculously large and overly plumed headgear.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Inquisitors canonically have xeno mercenaries all the time.

Which ones?
I'm assuming not Ordo Xenos unless using xenos to kill other xenos is on-brand.

In any case having a Tau fire warrior or an Ork smashing things would be lovely.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

DarkDobe posted:

Which ones?

Tons of Blood Axes Orks (which is one of the reasons people kit-bash their minis to look Imperial), Eldar Rangers, exiled Tau Fire warriors, Kroots, etc etc. Anyone who will to sell out for any kind of money, goods, and other desirable.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Broke out my Psyker for the first time since the holidays and cannot back this up enough. I don’t use ammo but two plasma vets almost coming to blows over ammo and I asked if either one took that. Their answer was it is a trash choice.

"Field Improvisation", i.e. improved ammo crates, is a talent that lets anyone who uses a crate also restock all their grenades in the process. It has massive potential in an Improved Blitz Maelstrom mission since that affix increases everyone's max grenade count by 2, meaning one crate can potentially restock 20 grenades.

In practice, I can understand the argument against it in a random pubbie group. It's comp dependent, so psykers, rock-throwers and knife-throwers see zero benefit from it. If another Vet has already taken the talent, there's no benefit. The talent would typically be taken in place of the 1m grenade regen talent, which is usually a better choice for the Vet himself. Sometimes you just don't find an ammo crate when you need one, or at all.

So basically, you take this talent to restock Ogryn nukes and Zealot stun or napalm grenades. This has the potential to be massive, but if you don't know your team comp ahead of time (especially if you get thrown into a mission in progress) choosing this talent can be a risky prospect.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fishstick posted:

I don't know if its accurate but it feels like a lot more of my downs/deaths in V2 are just from attrition from trash or eating one wrong overhead, or getting surrounded by trash and just dying to the tide whereas in DT most of the showstoppers are directly because of specials (in particular, trappers/flamers/doggos causing a snowball).

I will never get used to them having retconned Necrons into having actual personalities

Mordja posted:

They'd either need to come up with a new intro or skip the intros completely for any Xenos characters tho, since I don't think they'd be rotting in prison. With how amazing this game's shooting is, you have no idea how much I want to play with the Eldar's arsenal, hell I'd even take (ugh) Tau, see if they can make up for that old Firewarrior game. Though given that they never added any completely new characters to the VT games, I wouldn't be surprised if what we have is what we get.

I mean they'll have to do that anyways if we were to get say a Mechanicus related class or any other Imperium archetype that doesn't easily fit into the current Reject to Acolyte storyline

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

DarkDobe posted:

Which ones?

In any case having a Tau fire warrior or an Ork smashing things would be lovely.

In the current Dawn of Fire novel series, one of the reoccuring characters is an Ordos Xenos inquisitor with a xeno in his warband. There's been other example in various books from all three ordos.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playable Jokaero when?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Magitek posted:

"Field Improvisation", i.e. improved ammo crates, is a talent that lets anyone who uses a crate also restock all their grenades in the process. It has massive potential in an Improved Blitz Maelstrom mission since that affix increases everyone's max grenade count by 2, meaning one crate can potentially restock 20 grenades.

In practice, I can understand the argument against it in a random pubbie group. It's comp dependent, so psykers, rock-throwers and knife-throwers see zero benefit from it. If another Vet has already taken the talent, there's no benefit. The talent would typically be taken in place of the 1m grenade regen talent, which is usually a better choice for the Vet himself. Sometimes you just don't find an ammo crate when you need one, or at all.

So basically, you take this talent to restock Ogryn nukes and Zealot stun or napalm grenades. This has the potential to be massive, but if you don't know your team comp ahead of time (especially if you get thrown into a mission in progress) choosing this talent can be a risky prospect.

I always take this, regen nade and extra ammo on my shouty vet. Even with plasma I’m usually good on ammo. Biggest way to save ammo is just to bring out the Devilclaw if it’s trash mob and plasma mainly with specials. Maulers, crushers and ragers melt quick. I also tend to announce that I took the skills to replenish nades with ammo kits. I know I don’t have to but I like to let the gang know they can toss some nades. In most decent pubbie groups that seems to encourage the Ogryns to toss their nuke of doom plus I like to, in general, encourage camaraderie. Doesn’t always work but it is nice when it does. You bring up a good point but still feels like it’s, on average, a good investment. Only real risk I feel is not having my plas up when I start the join. It is nice having someone else running plasma gun for the break now and then. I know it’s not ideal but I still like the occasional recon las game.

Wanted to mention that I have horrible luck with dice rolls. I keep trying to get Brunt’s rando greys but I never get above 350. Max level and my current gear is all 500+ but every time it’s 300- 350. I’d love a good shield for my Ogryn and that new chainsword for my vet.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Anyone got any good hammer builds? I loved hammer at launch but struggling to make the MK2 work for me now.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Anyone got any good hammer builds? I loved hammer at launch but struggling to make the MK2 work for me now.

i feel like the ironhelm's ability to cleave some dudes without losing the charge makes it much stronger than the crucis now, especially in high diff where there's so, so, so many chaff dudes getting in the way of so, so, so many elites that you really need that charged hit to land. fussier moveset and less damage honestly seem worth the tradeoff by then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
Yeah I much prefer the Ironhelm as well, especially now that you have easy access to the heavy overhead which only does slightly less damage than a Crucis hit.

Mega Comrade posted:

This was the build I was using for an Ironhelm, though it should work for the Crucis as well:
https://darktide.gameslantern.com/build-editor?id=9b254fd4-a639-45b7-a19d-e113c0f68995

Main disadvantage is that I couldn't fit in any cooldown reduction talent. It also relies quite heavily on the buffs from Martyrdom so if you're not at half health or below then your killing potential will feel kind of lacking.

I think Thy Wrath be Swift is almost mandatory (and honestly I've been fitting it in every build nowadays) since you can be much more reckless at full toughness with that talent, plus getting stunned out of a big charged hit feels really bad. And despite what the description of it says the game doesn't seem to make any distinction between stun types so it makes you immune to ranged attack stuns and knockbacks as well.