Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
It's nice to finally have it after all these years :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
I've got a bug/feature that is driving me nuts and wonder if anyone else has something like it and maybe found a way around.

I can't get out of the Minotaur.

For whatever loving reason, you cannot change the movement keys of exocraft. Now, I don't use WASD, I use ESFC and always have, so when I started the game I switched all my movement keys on foot etc. to those keys. So on foot, "Move Forward" is E.

Well, E is the default for "get out of the exocraft." The other exocraft are still using the WASD and I can move and get out of all of them. The Minotaur, though, is using the on foot controls and seemingly no matter what I do I cannot get out of the loving thing.

Rebinding the "exit exocraft" key does nothing, regardless of what key it is. Rebinding "Move Forward" in the on foot controls and then hitting E does nothing. Rebinding both of them does nothing. Resetting to defaults does nothing. I'd really like to use the Minotaur but even climbing into it mean that game session is over without a save.

Anyone had this problem and solved it? It's astounding to me I can't rebind exocraft movement keys, :wtc:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't know much about how NMS works on PC but do you have a controller you can plug in if that somehow resets the keyboard controls or helps you do that?

night yorb
Apr 21, 2023
Well, I last launched this game in 2018 for all of one annoying evening of multiplayer, but it has been on my mind since the teaser for their new game came out. Holiday time around these parts means we're usually binging some kind of multiplayer survival/craft/build kind of game together and thus I came to read the thread and see what was up. Expeditions? oh now that sounds neat. I missed the first two, but the chance to get a shiny ship is not something to miss! So, with no clue what the hell was going on, I embarked on a journey and just finished it off in.. an embarrassing ten hours. I think I learned something. The biggest boost to my productivity was having my partner donate me his Minotaur. And the biggest time sink was hopping into portals to go to bases that did not have a return option available. I really had no clue how to fix that issue, so I spent far too long trekking/faffing about in No Man's Land.

I'm excited to check out the next Expedition at least to see what a more mellow journey looks like. Sadly, however, space still makes me feel sick to my stomach and anxious so I'm not sure how long I'll spend with NMS this time around. Hopefully Light No Fire can provide the fun and satisfying gameplay loop without the scary space travel. And I am glad of the time I sunk into this Expedition (frustrating at times as it was due to my novice level of game knowledge)! :3:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

night yorb posted:

And the biggest time sink was hopping into portals to go to bases that did not have a return option available. I really had no clue how to fix that issue, so I spent far too long trekking/faffing about in No Man's Land.

Your ship follows you through portals, so you should be able to just go to the local Space Station and use the portal there.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Your ship follows you through portals, so you should be able to just go to the local Space Station and use the portal there.

And you can summon your ship to you anywhere through the menu if it has launch fuel, or at many of the points of interest by spending a navigation data (which can be grabbed easily from poi flags)

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any luck with Hooves of Thunder on the expedition? I searched all of the planets of the 5th rendezvous system, can't find anything big enough. Found randomly a 5.2m tall herbivore, but the requirement is OVER 5.2m. All of the advice I can find online is dated from the previous time the expedition was active and doesn't apply, unfortunately.

HoBgoBLiNs
Feb 26, 2005

Some women find facial scars attractive. Mind you, most of those women are krogan...

litany of gulps posted:

Anyone have any luck with Hooves of Thunder on the expedition? I searched all of the planets of the 5th rendezvous system, can't find anything big enough. Found randomly a 5.2m tall herbivore, but the requirement is OVER 5.2m. All of the advice I can find online is dated from the previous time the expedition was active and doesn't apply, unfortunately.

Here you go:

The planet it's on:

And the portal codes:

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Perfect, thank you! Was stuck on that last one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just finished my 3rd full playthrough of Subnautica and my god, am I feeling the call of NMS right now. I never built all of the exocraft, nor have I even gotten all of the achievements on Steam, so I know what I'll be obsessing over for the next ~2 weeks or so.

:getin:

I can't wait for Light No Fire. Gaming friends of my wife and I have never shown an interest in NMS, but are excited for LNF (that's weird to type.... for now) and all I want to do is keep telling them how much they might enjoy this game, even when I point out some of the shortcomings. It is the perfect game for wonderful screenshots and feeling the sheer awe of space and exploration. The Anomaly is still my all-time favourite area in all of video games.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I picked this up on sale at GOG yesterday, got a couple hours in but I'm pretty much still in tutorial mode. I did catch a couple videos on the basics but is there anything I should know to look out for to avoid or the like? I'm enjoying what I've got through so far at least.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I picked this up on sale at GOG yesterday, got a couple hours in but I'm pretty much still in tutorial mode. I did catch a couple videos on the basics but is there anything I should know to look out for to avoid or the like? I'm enjoying what I've got through so far at least.

Run the gently caress away from Sentinels in the early game. The easiest way is to just dig a winding hole and wait til their alert level goes down. DO NOT GET IN YOUR SPACESHIP until this happens, otherwise you'll be fighting waves of interceptors instead.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hunter Noventa posted:

You can use your in-game walking around menu (the same one you use for placing objects/building once you get there) to change your active weapon or spaceship (when you have acquired more than one).

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Run the gently caress away from Sentinels in the early game. The easiest way is to just dig a winding hole and wait til their alert level goes down. DO NOT GET IN YOUR SPACESHIP until this happens, otherwise you'll be fighting waves of interceptors instead.

Yeah I already had one encounter with them, I managed to get away just fine thankfully.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Question for anyone playing NMS on Linux;

Just switched to Linux (Nobara) and every time i boot up Steam it "validates" 5gb of the game.

I deleted appmanifest_275850.acf in the Steam files as that was supposed to be a cure for the issue but no joy.

Anyone encountered this problem or spotted a fix?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Do the base building missions even if you don't necessarily want to build a base because you get a bunch of blueprints that are really useful without having to rely on luck or spending nanites. You can also build a base on a freighter too if you prefer although I kind of don't like telling new people to do that anymore since the freighter upgrades are not that easy to get now.

Speaking of blueprints, when you find a factory on a planet there's a good chance if you follow the longitude line you'll keep finding factories. But there's a timeout on how many blueprints you can get so if you stop getting them save yourself some sanity and do something else for a while.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

You can escape spaceship sentinels super easily by just holding holding forward+boost until your warp drive comes back online, and then warping for a second or two. IMO, it's even easier to get away from them in space than on foot.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the first waves of ground sentinels aren't hard to kill at all, and the weapon mods are very strong early game. good nanite source too. don't be afraid of them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

the first waves of ground sentinels aren't hard to kill at all, and the weapon mods are very strong early game. good nanite source too. don't be afraid of them.

true, but I still avoided the little buggers like mad until I had to deal with a settlement

settlements constantly get attacked by waves of low-level sentinels, and the settlement screaming for help motivated me to actually stand and fight

turns out they die pretty easily as long as you have some weapons

Then later I actually had to run away from a swarm of sentinel spaceships after I got too over-eager in killing them. :v:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Noper Q posted:

You can escape spaceship sentinels super easily by just holding holding forward+boost until your warp drive comes back online, and then warping for a second or two. IMO, it's even easier to get away from them in space than on foot.

Yeah but early game your ship kinda sucks and if they catch you there's a chance your warp drive can get damaged. I once narrowly avoided death by limping into a space station on impulse while being fired on by interceptors.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Libluini posted:

true, but I still avoided the little buggers like mad until I had to deal with a settlement

settlements constantly get attacked by waves of low-level sentinels, and the settlement screaming for help motivated me to actually stand and fight

turns out they die pretty easily as long as you have some weapons

Then later I actually had to run away from a swarm of sentinel spaceships after I got too over-eager in killing them. :v:

yeah space sentinels are a lot harder and were a big waste of time the last time I played anyway, but doing a few rounds of two-three sentinel waves on the ground is a killer early game move you don't want to sleep on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just started a permadeath run, since I'm trying to get all of the achievements. Good god, it took me 5 tries to actually get my ship up and running, and I'm either very annoyed or scared to death of sentinels. I dig holes to get away from them, but jfc, they won't relent. :negative:

I really wish this game had better enemies.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just started a permadeath run, since I'm trying to get all of the achievements. Good god, it took me 5 tries to actually get my ship up and running, and I'm either very annoyed or scared to death of sentinels. I dig holes to get away from them, but jfc, they won't relent. :negative:

lol yeah starting a pd run is insanely rng. for sentinels i find it helps to first dig pretty far down and then make a small side tunnel

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

we should be permadeath buddies, i'm chillin in galaxy 29 right now

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

The trick to permadeath start is find a cave asap. Use the abundant cobalt to make a bunch of ion batteries to keep up your hazard protection.

The achievement is the only reason to do it nowadays though. They have survival mode which is the same difficulty but without the permadeath. So just play that if you want the challenge and make your own permadeath rules so you don’t lose your save game to a bug or hacker in the anomaly.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you haven't really lived until you fall through your ship while in space or something on your 100 hour permadeath save

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My problem with permadeath mode is that the deaths are never due to exposure/running out of oxygen/sentinel combat, but rather things like trying to land the ship before a tree has fully loaded and getting trapped inside it before exploding

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

VegasGoat posted:

The trick to permadeath start is find a cave asap. Use the abundant cobalt to make a bunch of ion batteries to keep up your hazard protection.

The achievement is the only reason to do it nowadays though. They have survival mode which is the same difficulty but without the permadeath. So just play that if you want the challenge and make your own permadeath rules so you don’t lose your save game to a bug or hacker in the anomaly.

I think I might just turn off multiplayer for the most part during this PD run.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

My problem with permadeath mode is that the deaths are never due to exposure/running out of oxygen/sentinel combat, but rather things like trying to land the ship before a tree has fully loaded and getting trapped inside it before exploding

Zodium posted:

you haven't really lived until you fall through your ship while in space or something on your 100 hour permadeath save

This is why I never play ironman/permadeath modes. I do not trust your game to be bug-free or never corrupt a save or whatever.

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Just Another Lurker posted:

Question for anyone playing NMS on Linux;

Just switched to Linux (Nobara) and every time i boot up Steam it "validates" 5gb of the game.

I deleted appmanifest_275850.acf in the Steam files as that was supposed to be a cure for the issue but no joy.

Anyone encountered this problem or spotted a fix?

I get the same bug on Silverblue. I thought I read one time that it's somehow a Fedora, and it's derivatives, issue? It's super annoying, though.

I never got it fixed and just play my GOG copy through Heroic. I don't mind not being online.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

40Inch posted:

I get the same bug on Silverblue. I thought I read one time that it's somehow a Fedora, and it's derivatives, issue? It's super annoying, though.

I never got it fixed and just play my GOG copy through Heroic. I don't mind not being online.

Silly me never thought of that, i'll install a different distro tomorrow and see what happens. :tipshat:

Thank god they're nothing like Windows installs.

edit: Update; Installed Linux Mint and it repeated the issue.

I'm not linux smart enough to fix it and i liked Nobara but i may as well do a clean install of Win 10 and roll with it again. :shrug:

If i was a teenager again back when i would happily mess with config.sys & autoexec.bat in Dos 6.0 all damned day then i would persevere with this but those days are long gone. :lol: :corsair:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 20, 2024

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Played this a ton today. Found a crashed B-rank hauler I was able to claim and get flying, though it has a ton of broken parts i need to fix up. Built a base around the crash site, even though it doesn't have to stay crashed. Traded in my starter fighter for a slightly better fighter, and I've gotten some good upgrades and multi-tool upgrades. Didn't realize how tough a nexus mission could be, but managed to solo one despite the very aggressive sentinels. And finally, found myself some kind of sentinel base that I was able to take down, that was pretty cool. I've been flying towards an artifact location on this planet forever, and I keep finding little settlements and points of interest on the way.

My biggest problem so far is my cargo keeps filling up, and I'm unsure what I should actually sell. I have a storage container at my base but that's a bit of a trip, unless I were to build another base with a teleporter, I guess.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

My biggest problem so far is my cargo keeps filling up, and I'm unsure what I should actually sell. I have a storage container at my base but that's a bit of a trip, unless I were to build another base with a teleporter, I guess.

The item's description will tell you if it's just for selling; trade goods can't be used in recipes, so offload them as soon as you find a decent price.

Anything you can gather gets added to your logs; you can select the item there and the game will point you were to find more, so don't feel like you need to hoard.

Everything else has a use in crafting, repairing, or trading for something other than credits, so keep them if you think they'll be useful to you soon. But some of it will sell for what seems like a lot of money right now, so feel free to do that. Getting a starting base of cash early on will be much more useful than maybe realizing you had a use for that material ten hours from now.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The trading goods, the stuff that's priced so low when you buy it and the game is basically saying "sell this somewhere else for an insane profit".... Is there a way to tell where someone would be who wants those and would be willing to pay way over market price for them? It feels like a crapshoot, so I assumed it was but if there's a system (heh) to it, I'd love to know.

It reminds me of the drug mini game in GTA: Chinatown Wars.

Now there's a game I'd love to have on Steam...

Also, separate question; is the Radiant Pillar only available when you start? Like once you get rid of it, it's gone forever, unless another player 'sells' you theirs? I mentioned the ship to a friend who has been playing the same save for years now, and he had no idea what I was talking about when I said the name of it. I explained that it was your first ship, always, and he said he hadn't seen that in literal years.

I mean, it feels like there's almost a minor incentive to keep it around in your fleet, if it never comes back at any point in the game.

Also, I'm assuming there's no legit way to get the blue and red joycon-looking ship in the PC version of the game, is there? I'd have to run some sort of save editor?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The trading goods, the stuff that's priced so low when you buy it and the game is basically saying "sell this somewhere else for an insane profit".... Is there a way to tell where someone would be who wants those and would be willing to pay way over market price for them? It feels like a crapshoot, so I assumed it was but if there's a system (heh) to it, I'd love to know.

Each type of economy sells its goods high to one specific other type of economy: Power sells to Mining, Minining sells to Manufacturing, Manufacturing sells to Tech, and Tech sells to Power; then separately Science sells to Trading, Trading sells to Materials, and Materials sells to Science

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Also, separate question; is the Radiant Pillar only available when you start? Like once you get rid of it, it's gone forever, unless another player 'sells' you theirs?

Correct. It's a unique, if kinda crappy ship.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

I think I might just turn off multiplayer for the most part during this PD run.

I'm not saying dickish poo poo doesn't happen but my experience is that people are pretty chill in permadeath.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Just Another Lurker posted:

Silly me never thought of that, i'll install a different distro tomorrow and see what happens. :tipshat:

Thank god they're nothing like Windows installs.

edit: Update; Installed Linux Mint and it repeated the issue.

I'm not linux smart enough to fix it and i liked Nobara but i may as well do a clean install of Win 10 and roll with it again. :shrug:

If i was a teenager again back when i would happily mess with config.sys & autoexec.bat in Dos 6.0 all damned day then i would persevere with this but those days are long gone. :lol: :corsair:
Have you guys checked the protondb thread?

I cannot try it now but if it doesn't work on Nobara, I'd try either Endeavor or Garuda. But imho nothing beats Nobara so it could be just a matter of switching the proton version or editing the launcher options. Btw Nobara just released v39 based off KDE for reasons.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

froody guy posted:

Have you guys checked the protondb thread?

I cannot try it now but if it doesn't work on Nobara, I'd try either Endeavor or Garuda. But imho nothing beats Nobara so it could be just a matter of switching the proton version or editing the launcher options. Btw Nobara just released v39 based off KDE for reasons.

Thanks for that link. :tipshat:

I'll give things a go again in a month or so, just want to game for now. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to put a save point on a freighter? I've been spending more time on my freighter base rather than a planetary base, but it's kind of annoying having to wait around for a save sometimes when logging off.