Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017

skooma512 posted:

Wait, you weren't talking about SA?

Lol no, but I'm sure someone who goes there will know what site I'm talking about since there's a lot of crossover between user bases. The nice thing with SA is that it's much larger so I can just read the megathreads about random interests and not run into a ton of drama most of the time. There, if poo poo goes down it's literally all anyone is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
discord search also had a really fun problem a few weeks/months ago where it would simply refuse to give you any results, and then if you kicked it a few times it would give you the second or third or last page of results, and trying to get to the first page of results that you actually wanted was up to luck and how the servers were feeling

it also just misses a lot of poo poo even if your search terms are there exactly. using it on a very active / busy server might as well be like stepping on a rake

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

euphronius posted:

lol I thought you were describing SA

They were even if they didn’t realize it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I used Discord exactly once to play Divinity: Original Sin 2 online with some friends that only have PCs because one guy insisted we use it for voice chat. I still don't understand the point. Fuckin MSN messenger handled voice chat equally well decades ago.

Though I sometimes lol about the time some chud on twitter told me that he is more successful than me because, and I quote: "I am a member of several very exclusive discord communities".

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
The killer feature of Discord is that it provides a low friction, ad-hoc group voice and text chat at no cost. It has solved this problem basically as well as you possibly could and in an era where Skype was absolute dogshit at everything it was doing, and mumble/teamspeak/vent had much higher barriers of entry for setup and use.

It's success was a foregone conclusion to me the first time I used it, but the fact that it's become a defacto hub for communities has been a net 'bad' for the Internet as a whole.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Quote-Unquote posted:

"I am a member of several very exclusive discord communities".

That's when you respond, oh yeah, well, do you have stairs in your house? :c00lbutt:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have noticed Google Play Store has started showing adds that contains an install button when you open an app page to install it, so if you are careless it's super easy to press the first install button you see, except you're installing some random software from an ad, not the actual thing you were trying to install.

This is like malware level behaviour.

To be fair hosting sites have been doing this for decades with ads that all prominently display a "DOWNLOAD NOW" button. You'd think google would care enough to keep that poo poo away but :shrug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Though I sometimes lol about the time some chud on twitter told me that he is more successful than me because, and I quote: "I am a member of several very exclusive discord communities".

Right up there with "I maintain an extensive realdoll collection"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Outrail posted:

I maintain an extensive realdoll collection

You do? You sick gently caress.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:smug:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have noticed Google Play Store has started showing adds that contains an install button when you open an app page to install it, so if you are careless it's super easy to press the first install button you see, except you're installing some random software from an ad, not the actual thing you were trying to install.

This is like malware level behaviour.

They did that themselves back when chrome was new.
Paying scummy download sites to bundle it into installers, all the usual "Do you not not not not not want to install chrome? OK / Proceed", and only offering that choice of you clicked the 'custom' install button. Just like all the other bullshit software that used that route.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Gwely Mernans posted:

Lol no, but I'm sure someone who goes there will know what site I'm talking about since there's a lot of crossover between user bases. The nice thing with SA is that it's much larger so I can just read the megathreads about random interests and not run into a ton of drama most of the time. There, if poo poo goes down it's literally all anyone is talking about.
Jesus Christ, how tiny is this place that SA is “much larger”?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Gwely Mernans posted:

Lol no, but I'm sure someone who goes there will know what site I'm talking about since there's a lot of crossover between user bases.

Please don't tell me, I don't think I want to know.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Popsicles no longer put jokes on the sticks.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

shazbot posted:

Popsicles no longer put jokes on the sticks.

As they get smaller and smaller for the same price, eventually the popsicle will be the joke.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Gwely Mernans posted:

*Penny Arcade forums
*Forumopolis (PvP Forums)
*Uh bread & roses?
*some other obscure webcomic forum

one of these i wager

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Penny arcade is weird because originally it was terrible but I didn't know any better.
Then it was terrible and I *did* know better and stopped paying attention to it.
But recently I checked and it's... quite good?

Unused to a progression like that.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Atopian posted:

As they get smaller and smaller for the same price, eventually the popsicle will be the joke.

I keep harping on this to the point even I think it's past the point of parody, but a candy bar is $3 now, and they're like 70% the size they were 5 years ago.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Atopian posted:

Penny arcade is weird because originally it was terrible but I didn't know any better.
Then it was terrible and I *did* know better and stopped paying attention to it.
But recently I checked and it's... quite good?

Unused to a progression like that.

I went through this sequence myself but I haven't revisited it. It's good now??

Penny Arcade was great in the beginning because being a nerd or playing video games was still shameful and it was cool to read a comic about things I do and enjoy. Then the comic just seemed to be referencing things, as if just referencing a thing is a joke. It was still hitting that thing in me, that feeling of being seen and included, but it sure wasn't funny.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

credburn posted:

I went through this sequence myself but I haven't revisited it. It's good now??

Well, perhaps it'd be better to say "significantly better than expected, with periodic actually good parts".

At least I didn't feel I'd wasted my time reading it.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Time_pants posted:

I keep harping on this to the point even I think it's past the point of parody, but a candy bar is $3 now, and they're like 70% the size they were 5 years ago.

Today I noticed the pack of f-ing store brand kitchen sponges I always get are now smaller compared to the old ones; there's absolutely no end to it, it's driving me to some sort of madness

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If this keeps up I won't have to use finger cots anymore

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Outrail posted:

If this keeps up I won't have to use finger cots anymore

Had to google these to find out what they were and drat, that's where all the fingers they cut off of fingerless gloves go?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every single time I open Youtube nowadays on desktop, it nags me with a pop-up to get Youtube TV (whatever that is), or subscribe to Premium, or one of million other things. And now there's a giant banner that takes up half of the home screen that advertises some kind of 3D printing event? I've never in my life shown any interest in 3D printing. Combined with the other half of the screen being occupied by shorts (which I've also never watched) and the pop-ups, Youtube is working hard to prevent me from seeing any video on their site.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are YouTube videos tagged with model numbers of appliances you may want to see how to repair.

Neither YouTube search nor Google search will present you with those videos if you search the model number.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

The actual reason is almost always higher quarterly profits, correct?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

After being bypassed by the youtube adblock wars, they have finally come to me in the form of a theoretical minute and a half of ads being silently vaporised in five seconds by my addons.

Slightly annoying, but it's nice to know specifically whose money I'm wasting from the title.

Sometimes I try to imagine being the sort of person who'd actually watch a solid minute and a half of ads for a youtube video, but I can't do it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

flesh dance posted:

Today I noticed the pack of f-ing store brand kitchen sponges I always get are now smaller compared to the old ones; there's absolutely no end to it, it's driving me to some sort of madness

They're thinner too lol like half or a third

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

redshirt posted:

The actual reason is almost always higher quarterly profits, correct?

No. It's always higher quarterly profits

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

flesh dance posted:

Store brand toilet paper I used to get has 2/3 as much on each roll but they wind it more loosely to keep it the same diameter.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

They probably also made the cardboard tube slightly bigger.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

There are YouTube videos tagged with model numbers of appliances you may want to see how to repair.

Neither YouTube search nor Google search will present you with those videos if you search the model number.

Did the software-narrated top 10 washing machines of 2023 videos with amazon affiliate links help you at least? How is your new BONUEGUZUEMT 4.2 cu ft high efficiency washing machine?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

similarly, I subscribe to a channel with the dumb but fairly unique word "reviewz" in the title. Searching for that never ever shows me this channel I am subscribed to, I have to put in the entire channel name!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Bloodplay it again posted:

Did the software-narrated top 10 washing machines of 2023 videos with amazon affiliate links help you at least? How is your new BONUEGUZUEMT 4.2 cu ft high efficiency washing machine?

God drat this post makes me itch.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Time_pants posted:

You complain about things getting smaller, and also if they get bigger. There’s just no satisfying some people!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Yesterday, I was searching my company’s Google Drive for a document that included Vision Pro in its title and a search of "Vision Pro" didn’t find it.

How do you gently caress up search that badly?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Time_pants posted:

This honestly makes me feel a lot better

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When did video games start getting "seasons"?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
they realised a seasoned audience produces more income

Cabal Ties fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yesterday, I was searching my company’s Google Drive for a document that included Vision Pro in its title and a search of "Vision Pro" didn’t find it.

How do you gently caress up search that badly?

I installed a program called Everything on my work PC, because usually when I'm searching, it's for xyz when a file name contains the exact string xyz, and Windows search goes "buhhhhh... what?" and then shows nothing, or irrelevant things.