Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

not gonna proselytize to those that dont care, so dont take this as such, but i had a similar experience a couple weeks ago - playing in a scale, getting familiar with it intutively, pushing it into muscle memory, then discovering certain notes i werent supposed to play (because they arent in that scale) felt really really good to play if i played them at the right moment.

the benefit i got from doing a lil music theory analysis on it was that i am now able to whip that move out from my toolbox in any session in any key

i was in B phrygian, and flattening f# to f sometimes for effect. i was flattening the V in said mode, which made me kinda :eyepop: that it was some V/dominant poo poo

It's always interesting to see how other musicians see this sort of thing — I would just see it as either as "a diminished fifth sounds dark and sometimes bluesy, and that sound works here", or as "borrowing from the closely-related B Locrian mode" if I was feeling fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

It's always interesting to see how other musicians see this sort of thing — I would just see it as either as "a diminished fifth sounds dark and sometimes bluesy, and that sound works here", or as "borrowing from the closely-related B Locrian mode" if I was feeling fancy.
100% agree, im so curious why did you frame it as b locrian? like, what criteria went into deciding that?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me? I just play the right note at the right time

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

KoRMaK posted:

100% agree, im so curious why did you frame it as b locrian? like, what criteria went into deciding that?

The locrian mode is just the phrygian mode with a diminished fifth. So, when you lower the fifth of a phrygian scale, you can view that as dipping into locrian for a moment

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bending notes and transporting from one mode universe to another

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

echinopsis posted:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

The locrian mode is just the phrygian mode with a diminished fifth. So, when you lower the fifth of a phrygian scale, you can view that as dipping into locrian for a moment
wow. yea discussing this stuff with other humans defintely helps me incrementally get a better grasp of it because i get little nugs of information like this which also bolster my vocabulary. i never would have thought of framing it that way, because im learning in a bubble. self study is nice but geez there is so much you miss out on by not collaborating in dialog with your fellows.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

echinopsis posted:

bending notes and transporting from one mode universe to another
glissando these nuts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
locrian mode is just all the leftover notes at the end of the party

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

locrian mode is just all the leftover notes at the end of the party

That's definitely the Altered Scale (aka locrian flat 4) (aka the most cursed melodic minor mode)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
because I have no sense of self control I got myself one of these

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIFE1144/Yellow-Tiger-Aged-Gloss

poo poo I love it. I've wanted an explorer for a very long time. it does stick out a bit, but this sounds good and is fun to play, it's metal enough while still being dad appropriate

selling a bunch of synth gear to pay for it now I already have it lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did you seriously spend nine hundred freedomdollars on an epiphone

i mean, thats awesome, i'm glad you like it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in addition I had to pay kiwi-tax coz everything over here costs more anyway. and I am way too impatient to like scour second hand or whatever

it's pretty nice though. never had active pickups before, and they sound good. the pots are very nice which is a first for me, and they are push pull with one activating a single coil tap and the other some kind of PAF sounding thing which I am sure you know mch more about than me

and the sustain is extremely good, it's one huge chunk of wood down there, unlike my jackson with the floyd rose

straight up clear finish over the wood would have been perfect but I am not rich enough to have just everything I want.

now I need some kind of amp rather than guitar rig 6 or whatever

the only other "nice" guitar I had was a PRS tremonti (I was into church and creed at the time ok) SE and that was actually quite nice and good, but idk, this has a big chunk more character

Jonny 290 posted:

did you seriously spend nine hundred freedomdollars on an epiphone

despite my impatience I did a fair bit of scouring the net for reviews and I just found so much positive response, it just made me want it more. I don't love the headstock shape but oh well

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 10, 2024

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
My cockatoo bit my finger, so I couldn't play guitar today. Then after recording drums and a track of Minibrute 2, I noticed that my cat had moved the tuning knobs on the Minibrute 2 earlier, so the tuning was all messed up and I couldn't use other instruments.

I recorded a track anyways. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/01-09-2024a

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I learned what a parallel key is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

reading more about music theory and I think I’m figuring this stuff out. it’s all just notes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:sickos:

and when it comes to timbres, it’s all just frequencies and harmonics!

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
We've got frequencies that will blow your mind.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thought I would post my spare time music project here, in case people are interested. Last year, I composed theme music for all of the characters in a Pathfinder campaign that I'm GMing. I revealed the songs to the players during our Christmas session this year, and then uploaded the songs to bandcamp. This was a super fun project, and I learned a ton about composing and orchestration along the way — I had never attempted either before, or even really messed around with a DAW besides a bit of GarageBand back in the day.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
my cat got 2-days-hospitalized sick while i was planning my mostly new-to-me music room over the last few months, which means my initial plan (lots of hardware and DaWlEsS) got sidetracked for budget reasons. this means I now have an unplanned computer in that room for rhythm/sampling, sequencing and recording/looping. at least i got a nice interface to appease the gas goblins...

no experience with any modern daw, any reason not to go with ableton live for that kind of in-the-moment jam stuff? i only have two synths and stereo mic'ed guitars for the moment

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
well that was an embarrassing double post

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ableton rules

i often use it for just recording into, E Z P Z

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
so I've come into ownership of one of these:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140280-REG/novation_launchkey_25_mk2_usb_midi.html?fromDisList=y

my music making experience so far is using reaper and an interface to record and loop guitar to play over, any quickstart guide for what i can or should do with this thing? i've got zero idea what any of the knobs or switches do or how to set it up lol

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm having that dumb thought I get once in a while about trying to make a track or EP using just one sample pack or sound source

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140280-REG/novation_launchkey_25_mk2_usb_midi.html?fromDisList=y

my music making experience so far is using reaper and an interface to record and loop guitar to play over, any quickstart guide for what i can or should do with this thing? i've got zero idea what any of the knobs or switches do or how to set it up lol

nice, I have the 5 octave version

it’s designed to be used with ableton, and the pads are actually for launching clips and etc. (can be used as midi signals too I think)

but I just use it as a keyboard

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

i have two launch key-like products, i use fl studio but you can use whatever. the pads can be used for drum machines, or step sequencer, there's lots to explore with them

the fl key made by novation is very similar, and if you watch vids for the fl key it may give you ideas of what your launch key could be used for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_xoS-lHzIk

or maybe a more direct route would be to watch vids about the launch key you have to get an overview

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got one o the lil novations. its nice to doot out riffs

also the arpeggiator is kinda cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I needed five octaves to play the intro to jump because that oberheim roar is the goat

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the pads on those launckeys double as a keyboard, so you can dual wield on one device, and the pads can be at a different octave than the keys, both have octave selectors

i havent done it yet but if i connect the bigger launckey at the same time i can quad wield

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
never thought about that

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

wait until you see what the catholic church did with this power

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

on a launchkey mini, you can only change the pad octave if you mess with the software. the keyboard has a normal button like you'd expect. idk about other launchkeys.

i got my keystage. it's fun. i am having a heck of a time getting aftertouch to actually do stuff in ableton, though. it's cool as hell in wavestate, though

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 22, 2024

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I got a nektar impact and the aftertouch worked right out of the box with zenology

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah it's not a keystage problem, it's a software problem

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I just wanted to brag about my new inexpensive midi controller

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the hydrasynth has polyphonic aftertouch and I think the technology to do so is getting cheaper to implement into new keybaords so we’ll see more going forward

so with the polyphonic aftertouch you can make it so the parameter it affects is just per that voice/note

things that were fun to do with it :

change the rate of an lfo, such as on the filter or a vibrato. it’s an interesting effect because usually all the notes you’re playing are at the same rate but slowing one down or up on its own makes it stand out amongst the rest. idk if it’s good tho

or pushing the pitch up slightly for that note. a bit like a string bend. I’d often combine this with extra drive so that note stands out more.

or open up the filter a bit more for that note

those are some worthwhile things. shame I am not a worthwhile player

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I need to practice some more tonight

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'

Pollyanna posted:

always hold off on releasing something until you’re reasonably ready to call it done. once something is out there, you won’t have the same drive to continue iterating on it and will be ready to move on.

on the other hand, don’t obsess over it and try to make it perfect - that will mean it never gets released and that’s possibly the worst case scenario.

^ somehow the first post i saw since not checking the thread in months was directly related to my personal experience from today.

it is now my personal belief that songs are never really done. ever. heres why.

there was this one song i posted a couple years ago when i thought i knew everything there was to know.
today i went back in on said song. the mix was garbage, but it was too goofy to not finish. i approached it with the knowledge i have now, after two-ish years of experience between the old version and now, and holy poo poo.

i mean the difference between these two versions of the same song is just nuts:
When I Thought I Knew poo poo (Before): https://soundcloud.com/5plat/february-17th-feat-superfly-joe-cartoon
When I Knew I Didn't Know poo poo and Took Action to Know poo poo Instead (After): https://soundcloud.com/5plat/triple-pillow

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJbFMpiVPRM

final version :) I trimmed it down to the bone, same musical ideas but faster paced. filter envelopes are good. renoise rocks.

killhamster posted:

i have this stupid idiot project since like 2020 where i've been remixing nu-metal songs and it's been fun but i'm running out of steam. anyway here's probably the last one for the foreseeable future

https://soundcloud.com/killhamster/incubus-drive-rbms-cruisin-dub

im_sorry posted:

Yay it's done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSS9lsi10Jc

I'm not sure if I should make the video public - that's my actual back yard, after all.

echinopsis posted:

one of the better things I've done

https://soundcloud.com/rodtronics/the-gun-7

just some boring pad/ambient stuff

only analog synths. moog minitaur and behringer pro-800

of course some effects in abletome like reverb.

enjoy it.. OR NOT

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I didn't think about it until I saw them but the MIDI ports on the Live! Drive are actually these little 5-pin mini DIN sockets. apparently the same as the Atari STBook! not impossible to find but annoying