Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I've been trying to do the infernal unlock for warrior and last run I had literally zero evil shops or black markets.
I love this game but sometimes!!!!!!!

I'm so glad to finally have all those unlocked. I probably had 4 attempts short-circuited by alignment shop randomness. (Although I did learn on my very last one that the soul shops in Level 11 offer alignment with their path.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Patch 0.2.2 coming out today

This developer is absolutely wild. I've never seen such transparency in game development.

He's gonna burn out for sure - but drat if it isn't exciting to see the quick progress.

Also huge QOL highlight:
https://twitter.com/tiny_rogues/status/1748301533685400048

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hell yeah, I hate how long that animation takes

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

gently caress yeah, that takes care of one of my biggest pet peeves!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Slotducks posted:

This developer is absolutely wild. I've never seen such transparency in game development.

He's gonna burn out for sure - but drat if it isn't exciting to see the quick progress.

He had a similarly insane rate of updating last year before going into hibernation for about 10 months. I expect him to keep blazing with 0.2.X for about another month or so before he goes back into hibernation for the next expansion.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

He's pushed the patch, but is on hour 3+ of writing release notes. I've never felt so seen. Release Notes take FOREVER to write.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Did a run on the new patch with Jester and it seemed like I was doing a lot less damage than before for whatever reason.

Was sweating even though I finally got all the Close Range stuff to line up.

Swagger + Pneumatic Crossbow + Close Range Crushing Hit + Doom Guy Set + War Set and I was still not melting the end bosses. Think that's probably a good level of difficulty but I am curious as to how a "bad" setup would feel if my "good" setup felt relatively anemic.

Edit: Also, there are so goddamn many blood doors

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

WarpedLichen posted:

Edit: Also, there are so goddamn many blood doors

Honestly, I'm glad there's a reason to use the stacks of bombs that I refuse to use in combat out of principle.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Combat bombs used to be really good before the 2.0 but the AoE on them is low enough that I don't bother with them now. in my opinion, them being a secondary resource for spike doors and secret rooms gives them an actual value and actual use.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've never used a bomb in combat on purpose.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I use bombs in combat since 1. I'm overflowing with them anyway 2. I can get free damage while also opening up secret doors at the same time.

And of course, any remaining bombs get used on the final boss.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Schurik posted:

Honestly, I'm glad there's a reason to use the stacks of bombs that I refuse to use in combat out of principle.

The new blood doors seem immune to bombs?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

WarpedLichen posted:

The new blood doors seem immune to bombs?

still working for me-- if it's your first attempt might be helpful to clarify it's the altar past the door you have to bomb, not the door itself

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Notes are up. I won't bother trying to quote them because lol.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3994197038600910514?l=english
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2088570/view/3994197038601438799?l=english

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

stuker posted:

still working for me-- if it's your first attempt might be helpful to clarify it's the altar past the door you have to bomb, not the door itself

I think we're all talking about two different things here, one us a type of room reward, and the other is a cinder debuff that makes random doors hurt, but you can disable them with a bomb. Maybe I got mixed up when I originally responded.

e: oh noooooooooo

rubydev posted:

Unjust Incentive: Spiky doors have been turned into Muncher Doors. Muncher doors require feeding a red heart. Cannot be bombed anymore. Appear about 25% less often though.

Schurik fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 20, 2024

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Schurik posted:

I think we're all talking about two different things here, one us a type of room reward, and the other is a cinder debuff that makes random doors hurt, but you can disable them with a bomb. Maybe I got mixed up when I originally responded.

oh yeah that makes sense hah

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Schurik posted:

The patch notes vindicate me:

quote:

Unjust Incentive: Spiky doors have been turned into Muncher Doors. Muncher doors require feeding a red heart. Cannot be bombed anymore. Appear about 25% less often though.

That 25% less often feels didn't feel like it, but maybe I'm just unlucky.

Also all the late game enemies get a hp buff, which explains why I felt weaker.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

stuker posted:

There's so many situations where you're better off bombing stuff instead of taking the default reward. I can't remember the last time I took a shrine instead of bombing it, for example. 2 free experience points is a lot better than a temporary blessing unless you're already max level.

Mana stars nerfed to 10% damage, but INT gives +2.5% stats from stars per point
Tipsiness cap is 3 for everyone at base, instead of scaling with hearts. Cheese is more common and can show up in gift boxes.
Power has diminishing returns.
Blood chests/altars target hearts instead of armor.
Tavern nurse only heals you once per visit.
New infusions.
Storm in a Bottle is cheaper and more powerful.
Mimics and several bosses have more HP/armor
Soul Scarf nerfed
Orbitals and companions are a lot stronger in general

That's the main stuff I noticed.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah sorry for kicking off the blood confusion, ha

Love everything about the patch except the muncher doors

quote:

Fixed a bug where your weapon could start flickering and would never stop.
I though I was missing something lol

Schurik fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 20, 2024

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I think the meta perk shuffling has big implications. The extra rewards from bomb one is now deep but ebb and flow no longer blocks the guaranteed secret room. The item selling perks are way worse now that bulk seller got nerfed. The weapon portion still seems bugged but might be strong now?

Edit: Also 16 cinder seems even harder now - though thankfully boss automatons don't respawn

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 20, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shrines are absolutely loving terrible right now and I would not be surprised to see them getting a total overhaul this year. They weren't great before 0.2 and right now, as an above poster said, it's literally better to bomb them than to take the dogshit blessing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Hi, I'm the guy using flasks without noticing that the soul heart isn't appearing, post update

I don't understand the attune bonfire change. The note says people were confused, but afaict it's a nerf too, right?

Inzombiac posted:

I've never used a bomb in combat on purpose.

same

SKULL.GIF posted:

2. I can get free damage while also opening up secret doors at the same time.

no wonder I've never found a secret room

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

boss rewards come pre-attuned anyway

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Can't temporarily wear the accessory that gives you soul hearts, immediately attune it, get souls, switch back to prior accessory. I was cheesing that thing so hard, with the nurse too. No wonder he nerfed it all, I need to get good at not taking hits.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i'm not sure what they meant with the confusion, but the nerf makes sense just because of how easy it is to loop like that with some gear

would be nice if the stuff in the post-boss shops came pre-attuned with that gone though

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

When Precision says it guarantees a critical hit, it means it. Even if, say, your crit chance is 0 from resolute technique. Still crits. :allears:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bald Stalin posted:

no wonder I've never found a secret room

X marks the spot, literally.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Oh neat Secret Service (secret room on every floor) is actually pickable in the metaprogression tree now that the node before it went from a meta perk into a cinder modifier (lol). Smash and Grab, top 3 meta perk in game, is now right next to it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I did always think it was weird that several of the metaprogression nodes just straight-up made things worse for you. I could kinda see it, like "in order to get this cool ability, you also have to buy into things getting a bit worse", but it was still weird.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drat, finally got time to mess around with the new update, and the changes to the masteries and to the cinders have both been excellent.

In particular I love that Ebb & Flow is now a cinder (it's something I actually enjoy playing with a lot) and that defensive enchantments are now a thing you gotta prepare for. So your backup weapon now has some importance beyond just applying debuffs/ailments.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Game feels significantly easier after this patch, even while turning on all the cinders instead of just most of them. Not having "brink of death" is just such an absurdly massive power boost on top of a bunch of player options being made actually useful.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
First Cinder 16 win as Chaos! :toot:

https://streamable.com/0qwosr - Final build.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I also scored my Cinder 16 win on the current 0.2.2 build.

I really enjoy this patch but also all the changes (that I enjoy!) are making runs a bit on the onerously long side.

I had a really deadly Repeated Attacks build going that just melted everything, but the various buffs to endgame health, resistance enchantments, and stuff like Pestilence extra enemy spawns really bogged down the run and made it take significantly longer than usual. For context, prior to 0.2, I could complete a full Megadeath run in 20 to 25 minutes. 0.2 through pre-0.2.2, a run would take about 28 to 35-38 minutes depending on how unlucky/lucky I was with rolls.

47 minutes.. woof.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I don't particularly like the pestilent enemies much I think, they're extremely harmless because the enemy they're tied to gets a huge hp buff so it's almost always the last thing to die, so you just have to kill a bunch of floor 1 tier enemies after the room's already cleared out.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah if anything the plague-ridden pestilent enemy should have reduced health so you go "Oh poo poo" and have to try to play around the maggots while dealing with everything else.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I also scored my Cinder 16 win on the current 0.2.2 build.

I really enjoy this patch but also all the changes (that I enjoy!) are making runs a bit on the onerously long side.

I had a really deadly Repeated Attacks build going that just melted everything, but the various buffs to endgame health, resistance enchantments, and stuff like Pestilence extra enemy spawns really bogged down the run and made it take significantly longer than usual. For context, prior to 0.2, I could complete a full Megadeath run in 20 to 25 minutes. 0.2 through pre-0.2.2, a run would take about 28 to 35-38 minutes depending on how unlucky/lucky I was with rolls.

47 minutes.. woof.

Seconding this - runs are insanely long now. They should never be more than 20.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

i was already having runs go 40+ minutes before the patch :( i'm hardly a speedrunner with these kinds of games, i like taking my time but the runs are so long now and coupled with the fact that you can't save and continue it's kind of a shame. it makes it a lot harder to just sit down for a quick run when you're know you will have to dedicate upwards of an hour and there is no way to save, only abandon the run if something comes up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pollyanna posted:

I brought up the issue with Pestilence to the dev and had a bunch of other people agree with me, so in the patch that hit the beta today Pestilence got its durability knocked way down.

I try to average about 2-3 minutes per floor as a goal and I think that's the sweet spot. Pestilence, defensive enhancements, the extra 2 floors, hunting for secret rooms/black markets all add quite a bit of time to that. And then you get runs where you can't really get a build to click together... Granted, some characters have a much easier time hitting that 2.XX goal, like pretty much the entire alternate set of classes, or Pyromancer etc.

Your Computer posted:

i was already having runs go 40+ minutes before the patch :( i'm hardly a speedrunner with these kinds of games, i like taking my time but the runs are so long now and coupled with the fact that you can't save and continue it's kind of a shame. it makes it a lot harder to just sit down for a quick run when you're know you will have to dedicate upwards of an hour and there is no way to save, only abandon the run if something comes up

The good news is a save system is on the list of things that will get added at some point. As far as I understand it, because of how the game was built, implementing one isn't as simple as it would seem.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SKULL.GIF posted:

because of how the game was built, implementing one isn't as simple as it would seem.

I just had a Minecraft beta flashback and it made me think of notch blech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

0.2.2v2 beta dropped and I gave Pyromancer a twirl on Cinder 12. Full Heaven clear at 28 minutes, about 2 minutes 20 seconds per floor. Solid.

Pestilence is waaay more manageable time-wise now.