Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Breaking Bad jumped the shark during the plane crash stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Ray Bradbury's claims for what Fahrenheit 451 is about varies based on whatever is bothering him the most at the time of the interview. If you asked him today it would be about "Wokeness"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

meat police posted:

Breaking Bad jumped the shark during the plane crash stuff

Watching Q having a breakdown was weird and off-putting. Hard to stay engaged in the show after that.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh man I forgot about that lol, so fuckin stupid

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm actually reaching an end of a breaking bad rewatch (my first since it originally aired) and yeah, the whole thing kinda just gets worse as it goes, and as Walt fully descends into just being monstrous.

I also forgot how dumb it is that Walt leaves the game and is living a good life (albeit cancerous) with his family, and then it all falls apart entirely at random cos Hank takes a dump and finds the Walt Whitman book on the toilet.

Show is also the worst implementation of HDR (or something) I've seen... The Whites house is almost entirely in inky black shadow 100% of the time, and it just looks bizarre.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

doctorfrog posted:

By the time I had a TV as a kid, Twin Peaks was off the air and Northern Exposure had picked up the mantle of 'oddball townies show' or whatever, and I despised it. All the edges had been filed off, replaced with dull eccentricity.

I see a direct lineage from Northern Exposure to The Office, Parks and Recreation, Party Down (that's right), Ted Lasso and stuff like that, where all the characters are supposed to be cozy and relatable in some way. They're like Thorazine in television form. I don't like it when people on TV are supposed to be like my friends or something.

Exceptions: Cheers and Night Court. Just fantastic shows, and I'm not sure why I like them so much.

(Frasier and Friends suck too.)

I just finished the first run of Twin Peaks, the fulfillment of a childhood bucket list item, and it was great. Got Fire Walk With Me waiting for me at the local library.

I've had friends recommended me Ted Lazzo and show me clips and I keep waiting for an actual gag or something. "Hey, you're into, like Nathan For You and I Think You Should Leave, right? Try this thing that's NOTHING like it!"

Truthfully, I can only think of one kind of media I actually hate. Most other things in this thread and things I've chimed in on just aren't for me. However, while I wouldn't go as far as to say everyone loves this, I certainly loving HATE, and I mean this, pirate/viking-rock.

It just seems like lovely music for lovely guys obsessed with cargo-cult masculinity. Guys who think beards are a hobby. Guys with light-up keyboards. Guys who have a poster of Star Wars but it's also zombies.

This guy is a prime example of it:

https://youtu.be/fXTDY-eeI98?si=nlrJhXZ3Xe_qohqg

The dubsteppy sounding beats, the rock guitars with absolutely no bite, the disney princess but TOUGH vocals, the "woe is me a strong man" lyrics. gently caress you.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
my favorite type of music is Viking Metal please roast me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qmf6hgNQSo

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Yeah, I think Viking/Pirate stuff can work reasonably well with metal (Alestorm is a guilty pleasure), because metal is silly and hard to take seriously in the first place.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Adjacent, I absolutely love the poo poo out of Korpiklaani, wholeheartedly and unironically.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Something about the production of this stuff is nails down a chalkboard to me.

Alestorm, sure its silly (and not the kind of silly that I enjoy, but I appreciate others do), but they feel different to this stiff that feels like... gamer music, maybe?

But gamer music in the sense that "I am a consumer of games. I like Assassins Creed and God of War." and not like "games are my hobby".

It weirdly reminds me of a friends boyfriend I met, who got genuinely mad at me because I disagreed that an Elden Ring boss was hard. He started sulking because his gamer identity had been ruptured by someone saying "i didn't find that one too bad!"

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 19, 2024

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

this style of singing is my least favorite and i hope this isnt what people think of when they think of metal

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh man I forgot about that lol, so fuckin stupid

I'm sure there's a way to successfully cast against type, but that wasn't it.

e:

Disco Pope posted:

Alestorm, sure its silly (and not the kind of silly that I enjoy, but I appreciate others do), but they feel different to this stiff that feels like... gamer music, maybe?

Oh I'm 100% with you in general. I was just carving a specific exception for good ol' metal, which the stuff you are talking about sure ain't.

Aramis fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 19, 2024

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Adjacent, I absolutely love the poo poo out of Korpiklaani, wholeheartedly and unironically.

Korpiklaani slaps so loving hard

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Procedural crime dramas peaked at Jonathan CreekColumbo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mordor She Wrote posted:

Korpiklaani slaps so loving hard

They just released a new song! Or posted to youtube anyway.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Disco Pope posted:

Something about the production of this stuff is nails down a chalkboard to me.

But gamer music in the sense that "I am a consumer of games. I like Assassins Creed and God of War." and not like "games are my hobby".

It weirdly reminds me of a friends boyfriend I met, who got genuinely mad at me because I disagreed that an Elden Ring boss was hard. He started sulking because his gamer identity had been ruptured by someone saying "i didn't find that one too bad!"

lol i was in a metal band in the early 2000's and we played a bunch of gigs with Alestorm (think they were called Battleheart then?). anyway at one point they needed a singer and our singer got offered a go, but he said no to stay in our crappy band. we split up at some point while Alestorm went on to huge success. our singer was a dick anyway so lol owned to him.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Alestorm is fun and they have a song poking fun of themselves and how they're running out of pirate themed things to make songs about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rey5rEbDOog

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I just hate comedy music, and comic music, and any kind of humour mixed with music. I'm a po faced mother fucker about it. I guess I can like funny songs written by a comedian, to an extent, but I just can't deal with wacky joke music (like a lot of the piratey bands). I feel like music in itself needs some kind of integrity, some kind of artistic purpose beyond 'lols', but then I am wanker so who knows really

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

The Perfect Element posted:

I just hate comedy music, and comic music, and any kind of humour mixed with music. I'm a po faced mother fucker about it. I guess I can like funny songs written by a comedian, to an extent, but I just can't deal with wacky joke music (like a lot of the piratey bands). I feel like music in itself needs some kind of integrity, some kind of artistic purpose beyond 'lols', but then I am wanker so who knows really

Yeah, kind of. I feel most comedy/novelty bands (and I think its fair to call something like Alestorm that) make what they are pretty clear, so I can listen to a track or whatever and go "okay, not for me". And I suppose a distinction between Alestorm and that Peyton guy is that sense of self-awareness.

I can enjoy an occasional parody, but usually from the perspective of someone understanding and playing with a genre than funny lyrics. I liked "Planet of the Bass" in the summer and "Sad This Summer" by Pat Finnerty was funny. I guess what I object to is people creeping their lovely stand-up bits into their music, or their lovely music into their stand-up.

This is more or a local band problem, but you see it in some genres of punk: something being funny in the practice room does not translate to it being funny on stage, so you get poo poo like "this song is about the time our bassist got stoned and thought The Grimace was called The Groobler" and who loving cares?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Perfect Element posted:

I legitimately like the rear end in a top hat song from Denis Leary many years back. It's total boomerness but I like the music/melody.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
FYI Alestorm are pretty lovely dudes based on that Gloryhammer drama from the other year and apparently now being jerks to a Palestinian fan that asked them to cancel their show in Tel Aviv

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I was a kid when Columbo first broadcast, so there's no way I could appreciate it. As an adult, watching Peter Falk in his signature role proves beyond any doubt that good crime stories are absolutely timeless.

I love Columbo. It's so very good.

The Blacklist, with James Spader, started out fairly strong, but became so tiredly formulaic waaay too quickly.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 20, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
columbo was good because they didn't bother with the whodunnit, but rather they showed the procedure for how to catch them. for some reason no other crime show has thought to do that again

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Ray Bradbury's claims for what Fahrenheit 451 is about varies based on whatever is bothering him the most at the time of the interview. If you asked him today it would be about "Wokeness"

If you asked him today it would be about the stale air in his coffin and how he can’t claw his way out

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I legitimately like the rear end in a top hat song from Denis Leary many years back. It's total boomerness but I like the music/melody.

I was going to joke that Leary recorded it before Bill Hicks got a chance before he died, but I read that Louis CK claimed Leary stole it from him :jerkbag:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Cosmik Debris posted:

columbo was good because they didn't bother with the whodunnit, but rather they showed the procedure for how to catch them. for some reason no other crime show has thought to do that again

Columbo is a slow burn, a back and forth battle of wits that requires really good actors and really good writing to pull off. I'm not sure that kind of show would work today.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
re: comedy music, yes standup comedians who play the guitar are almost always terrible.

however there is quite a bit of music from serious musicians that is funny/silly/humorous.

The beatles put out a silly song called You Know My Name (look up the number) which was actually the B side to Let it be of all songs and yet for some reason nobody remembers it. It's pretty dumb but boy do I like it. It's the only beatles song with a sax solo, played by none other than Brian Jones. It's not so much a "funny" song as much as it is them just being so dominant in the charts that they could put out a b side that is literally just them loving around having fun in the studio. It's actually a really interesting song, too. It's a great example of why they were the best band of all time - most bands would have their B side singles be real songs, since they can potentially get a lot of airplay (what with the A sides being heavily marketed). So for them to just be like, gently caress it, we're gonna make what is essentially a comedy skit. It's a risk that most bands would never take.

Another funny number I like is from a country bluesman named Sam Chatmon. It's a Dozens called God Don't Like Ugly. The Chatmon family were around for ages, they made up the Mississippi Sheiks, an amazing band that was active in the 30s. Anyway they wrote a lot of Hokum tunes (Don't mash my digger so deep, Banana in your fruit Basket, etc). But the lyrics to god don't like ugly are legitimately hilarious. Here's an excerpt for those that don't click the link:

They tell me god don't like ugly
said boy your home's in hell
I'd like to see your mammy
your pappy too
ugly as you is boy they oughtta
sell you out to some zoo
I don't play no dozens,
cause I didn't learn to count to twelve

everything by sam chatmon is awesome

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Disco Pope posted:

"Cosy" murder in general fucks me off (and I feel oopy-goopy shitlib aunt murder podcasts and documentaries have been covered enough), but I appreciate none of the audience wants to think about 15 year-olds stabbing each other in parks or domestic violence or two 48yr old olf friends scrapping outside a Wetherspoons and cracking their skulls open on the pavement. Just the Little Parishton Chess Club poisoning each other with custard creams or whatever the gently caress.
Wow it's like we have the same mother watching this stuff

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

tango alpha delta posted:

I was a kid when Columbo first broadcast, so there's no way I could appreciate it. As an adult, watching Peter Falk in his signature role proves beyond any doubt that good crime stories are absolutely timeless.

I love Columbo. It's so very good.

I have great memories of watching SOOOO many PBS Mystery! shows with my dad as a small child.

Columbo (not sure if that was PBS but whatever), Poirot (my favorite back then), Agatha Christie stuff, Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett).

I remember the intro. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAmGsM4Dids

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hokum is extremely loving funny.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Concatenation posted:

FYI Alestorm are pretty lovely dudes based on that Gloryhammer drama from the other year and apparently now being jerks to a Palestinian fan that asked them to cancel their show in Tel Aviv

Yeah, Christopher Bowes is a racist, misogynist, and overall weapons-grade piece of poo poo, gently caress that guy to death imo

Dariusz2k
Dec 11, 2006

Rick and Morty.

Every episode feels like a 45 year old fat guy trying to be funny in a "sarcastic" way, but it's only "sarcastic" if it's not funny, because the writer of the show is so funny.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

root beer posted:

...Louis CK...

Ooh, there's another one. I figured him for a wanker before he went public as one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I used to have a moderate interest in things like Columbo and Bob Ross until there was a weird pop culture surge of interest in them. Now I've kind of lost interest because I liked having my niche interest with my niche pals. I have plenty of interests that are aligned with contemporary popular culture already :\

I guess I still have pogs, for now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

credburn posted:

I used to have a moderate interest in things like Columbo and Bob Ross until there was a weird pop culture surge of interest in them. Now I've kind of lost interest because I liked having my niche interest with my niche pals. I have plenty of interests that are aligned with contemporary popular culture already :\

I guess I still have pogs, for now.

yeah I do this too. Sometimes popularity ruins things. But: when it seems like the wave has passed, sometimes that old stuff becomes enjoyable again.

I know, I'm somehow supposed to be this island that logically enjoys/dislikes things regardless of the outside world, but I have never been that way and I'm at peace with it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

I like fairly obscure music and sometimes I'll hear a song that most people aren't aware of being used in some show, and then like clockwork the next week you start seeing TIL's on reddit about the artist and then all of a sudden everyone has been lifelong fans of, like, Barbecue Bob or Bix Beiderbecke or something and I'm the one who's late to the party.

The internet ruins all the fun.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
I don't think anyone actually watches Columbo, I don't think it's even a real show, this is everyone just pretending they watched a show because of memes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I don't think anyone actually watches Columbo, I don't think it's even a real show, this is everyone just pretending they watched a show because of memes.

i watched columbo when i was a kid and i watch columbo now because peter falk is kick rear end

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

can you imagine a cop show nowadays where the main character doesn't carry a gun? It'd be canceled for being woke

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Cosmik Debris posted:

can you imagine a cop show nowadays where the main character doesn't carry a gun? It'd be canceled for being woke

actually i think you will find that it's the wokes who do all the cancelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

ACAB, including columbo