Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

my bony fealty posted:

Wanna revisit Return to Castle Wolfenstein though. Great game.

If you get that bundle upthread it's got it plus a whole bunch of stuff you should have at this point anyway. The new blood games are a must get and viscera fest owns too. Oddworld is loving fire and honestly as much as I love the aesthetic of the sidescrollers, I think it's the most fun to play in the series. Quake and Doom must haves too. Only reason I'm passing is I don't think I can get up to 3 games I want. Maybe hong kong, anomalous and.... ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also without Quake 4 we wouldn't have Steve Blum having a conversation with Steve Blum.

Okay, actually, that probably would've happened eventually anyway. :v:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Everybody's constantly talking about Patrick Stewart in Oblivion, but nobody's talking about Peter Stormare in Quake 4--the first true celebrity in video games by four months

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Real Tim Curry and Mark Hamill erasure

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Everybody's constantly talking about Patrick Stewart in Oblivion, but nobody's talking about Peter Stormare in Quake 4--the first true celebrity in video games by four months

Fuckin' Christopher Walken was in Ripper in 1996

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Dennis Hopper, Stephanie Seymour, and Grace Jones were in Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller in 1994

Barudak
May 7, 2007

John Goodman was in Pyst, which admittedly, we may not want to count for dignity's sake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

John Murdoch posted:

Also without Quake 4 we wouldn't have Steve Blum having a conversation with Steve Blum.

Okay, actually, that probably would've happened eventually anyway. :v:

I think it happens in Doom 3.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I wanted to say Steve Blum's career had tapered off, but I looked and he's still in 50 things per year.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Name Change posted:

I wanted to say Steve Blum's career had tapered off, but I looked and he's still in 50 things per year.

I think he actually released a statement about the recent SAG AFTRA deal with that voice copying company, dude is still trucking.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
why did you want to say thjat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Because Gianni stole his spike voice and also can do a raccoon

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Slave Zero Prequel Prequel Level Set for Quake 1 Rerelease from 2022 is fun, might not call it more than that, but hey, fun.

Quake is Good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
All this talk of Wolf09 makes me want to play it. Too bad I never bought it before, so I guess I'll have to do a little research...

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Speaking of Doom 3, I think the main reason it often ranks so low in video game lists is it's being put in the wrong game series.

For me, the correct ranking goes like this:

FEAR
FEAR 3 (Co-op, ignoring the story)
Doom 3
FEAR 2
FEAR 3 (Solo)

Doom 3 just feels to me like it shoulda been marketed as FEAR 0.5 haha :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Kins posted:

In other news, DuskDev's punted out a slightly enhanced standalone version of another one of his DreadXP compilation games, the made-in-a-week Doom 3 tribute The Pony Factory.

I was bummed when I saw his brother tweeting out his own puzzle game saying he needed to make ends meet because I would've assumed My Friendly Neighborhood sold well but I guess it's only the lovely no effort mascot horror games that print money.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gloomy Rube posted:

Speaking of Doom 3, I think the main reason it often ranks so low in video game lists is it's being put in the wrong game series.

For me, the correct ranking goes like this:

FEAR
FEAR 3 (Co-op, ignoring the story)
Doom 3
FEAR 2
FEAR 3 (Solo)

Doom 3 just feels to me like it shoulda been marketed as FEAR 0.5 haha :v:

Yeah but out of all those games, Doom 3 has the worst shooting in any AAA fps.

But x2 also the plasma gun has a loving sweet reload sound.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

All this talk of Wolf09 makes me want to play it. Too bad I never bought it before, so I guess I'll have to do a little research...

Well, that was incredibly easy!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Well, that was incredibly easy!

It's literally sitting at the Internet Archive (and you can grab a few mods at moddb too!)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Guillermus posted:

It's literally sitting at the Internet Archive (and you can grab a few mods at moddb too!)

any recommendations?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I'm going vanilla no mods, but I'm disabling the headbob and increasing the FOV. The default headbob and FOV are insane on my 1440p widescreen monitor. It's like BJ has a severe case of vertigo whenever sprinting.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
the Retrostein mod is good fun, imo - use version 1.0b if it's your first playthrough

also this is essential

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Slave Zero/Quake tie-in was cool! I'm still not really interested in the actual game they're making since beat 'em ups are really my thing but still, a cool little thing. Impressive the amount of work that went into it, even if a lot of the enemies and weapons were pretty much reskins in function, but there are a few more unique ones as well. Beating the game even unlocks a couple new toys that you can use if you feel like playing through the episode again! I will say that, visually speaking, I thought the first couple maps were more interesting than the others. Well worth a look!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

any recommendations?

Quoting from the reddit thread I found time ago:

quote:

Carnage: This mod makes corpses stay in the level permanently as long as you are in that level, along with breakable items such as wooden crates staying for a longer period of time: https://www.moddb.com/mods/carnage-permanent-corpses-and-debris/addons/carnage-mod

NeuroWolf: A mod that rebalances the game to make it feel less 'console-like', adding in some features such as implementing quicksaves and screenshots, higher FOV, removing some button tips, late-game incendiary ammunition for the MP40, decreased head-bobbing, increased health for enemies, etc: https://www.moddb.com/mods/neurowolf

Retrostein: Just like NeuroWolf above, but slightly altering or not adding in some features from it. It rebalances Wolfenstein 2009 into being slightly more challenging and closer to RTCW's gameplay difficulty, with tougher enemies, rebalanced weapons, and some other small additions: https://www.moddb.com/mods/retrostein

Deconsolized: A small mod that implements some small tweaks to make it somewhat tougher and less console-like, but not changing things too much compared to the others. Increased enemy accuracy, improved reaction times to enemies, and increased lifetime/number of corpses and breakables in a level: https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein/addons/deconsolized

Wolf Redux v1.3: A mod that corrects and fixes some aspects of the game without changing gameplay balance or performance. Sort of a "best of everything" mishmash of some of the previous mods while adding some of its own personal tweaks: https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein/addons/wolf-redux-v13

Personally Wolf Redux 1.3 is good enough for coming back after years.

If you have issues with Windows 10: https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein/downloads/w2009-fixed

Edit: then there's this one if you want Nazis to speak german

quote:

-"German Axis" Language Mod: This mod changes the dialogue of Nazi enemies into speaking German instead of German-accented English. If you have recently played the MachineGames titles and are bothered by Nazis speaking English this mod can remedy that: https://www.moddb.com/games/wolfenstein/addons/wolf-sp-mod-german-axis-language-mod-v12

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I still haven't played FEAR :(

Still need to resume my Quake 2 playthrough, to be fair

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I still haven't played FEAR :(

Still need to resume my Quake 2 playthrough, to be fair

FEAR was probably the best FPS I played that decade. Make of that what you will.

Oh, man, what I’d give for Night Dive to re-release THAT game.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I don’t think I’ve ever actually liked a wolfenstein game. They all have issues that bug me into not wanting to play anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Overbite posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever actually liked a wolfenstein game. They all have issues that bug me into not wanting to play anymore.

The New Order rules.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Deakul posted:

Yeah but out of all those games, Doom 3 has the worst shooting in any AAA fps.

But x2 also the plasma gun has a loving sweet reload sound.

Yeah...the game with one of the most legendary shotguns of all time should not be put that close to the game with one of the worst shotguns of all time. :colbert:

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Quake 6 confirmed? Check the left side of the whiteboard @ the timestamp (43:40):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__CsgNHr7ZQ&t=2619s

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Though at least said worst shotgun can easily be fixed by changing a single line of code... which then immediately trivializes the already procedural combat by being so good at consistently murderizing things outside of melee range.

But y'know what, if the combat balance is utterly trounced by making the shotgun not comically ineffectual, then frankly it deserves to be clowned on.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

manero posted:

Quake 6 confirmed? Check the left side of the whiteboard @ the timestamp (43:40):

It's obviously a joke. There isn't even a Quake 5.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah...the game with one of the most legendary shotguns of all time should not be put that close to the game with one of the worst shotguns of all time. :colbert:

I'll admit that I literally am the wrong audience for this because for me fear and doom 3 are both about finding lore objects because I don't really care about the gunplay, I just like exploring and atmosphere and stuff, when I play doom I play on easiest because I just wanna explore the cool levels [this is also why hexen is my favorite]

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Rocket Pan posted:

It's obviously a joke. There isn't even a Quake 5.

Does Quake Champions count? Hell, does it count anywhere?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Wolf09 seems pretty cool so far.

Indiana Jones looks cool, but I really hope Machine Games gets to cap off their Wolfenstein series. I know some people didn't like TNC, but I loved it and am still pretty hyped to see it what they do next.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Hasturtium posted:

Does Quake Champions count? Hell, does it count anywhere?

Quake Champions is Quake Champions, not Quake 5.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gloomy Rube posted:

I'll admit that I literally am the wrong audience for this because for me fear and doom 3 are both about finding lore objects because I don't really care about the gunplay, I just like exploring and atmosphere and stuff, when I play doom I play on easiest because I just wanna explore the cool levels [this is also why hexen is my favorite]
The trouble here is gunplay quality is probably the biggest difference between the two, with FEAR being one of the all time greats and Doom 3 being... Doom 3.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

anilEhilated posted:

The trouble here is gunplay quality is probably the biggest difference between the two, with FEAR being one of the all time greats and Doom 3 being... Doom 3.

I dunno, I legit thought FEAR turned into a surprisingly intimate, creepy family drama on top of an effective as hell action game with strong horror elements. What story elements were articulated in Doom 3 were frequently pretty interesting; I dug the little moments conveying how bad the UAC was at maintaining morale and any kind of check on Dr. Betruger’s increasingly weird bullshit. My biggest issues outside of the central gameplay loop were the voice work - not the talent so much as recordings sounding very much like they’re in a booth, with no ambient audio mixed in to convey a sense of place… and also poo poo like “guy doing a labored Jack Nicholson impression” or “one voice actor does at least three different Asian characters with no variation from one performance to the next.” If they’d fleshed out the game world a little more to start, and had some more content in the PDAs than basic instruction and here’s the next password, I think it could have been above and beyond. In conclusion, Doom 3 is a land of contrasts…

But Resurrection of Evil, I like a lot more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gloomy Rube posted:

don't know if you're aware but you don't even need to have monsters on most doom maps: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/No_monsters_mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So, playing Half-Life on Hard was a terrible idea and I'm not enjoying myself any more, and I have Delta Particles to play for that particular itch, so I'm giving the Quake II remaster a whirl! It's very good! I don't really hold QII In as high regard as OG Quake, but it's still a fun shooty game and the remaster provides all sorts of nice tweaks. I've always liked the mechanics of the pump-action double-barrel shotgun. It's so needlessly overkill, and it makes that nice chunk-chunk sound when it's pumping.